Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

Elida

The advice I would give myself personality is to always take things seriously, even if it seems goofy or such a waste of time take the opportunity serious. What you do now prepares you for the future, every little thing counts and matters. Also always look into the future, don’t just think about the present and hope for the best in the future, always think about your next step and your next move to improve yourself as a student, daughter, sister and even a friend.

Alexandra

Humboldt State University is very well known for its programs in biological sciences and theatre arts. It is a wonderful scho...

Humboldt State University is very well known for its programs in biological sciences and theatre arts. It is a wonderful school.

I would have no advice to give myself for 2 reasons. The 1st reason is that I think I have done very well in college and don't think there is much I could go back and teach myself. The 2nd reason being that I never went to high school. I graduated from high school by taking the CHSPE when I was 15 years old and I went to Fullerton Jr. College. Seeing as I never had a high school experience, I don't know what I would say to myself in that stage of life. I was very successful at Fullerton College. I have an AA degree in interdisciplinary studies with an emphasis in math and science.

The labratories are amazing.

One major piece of advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to NOT PROCRASTINATE!!! Procrastination has always been one of my worst habits, and as a junior in college i'm still trying to break it. Not working on responsibilities until the last minute can create all sorts of unessessary problems, and can end up making tasks much more difficult than they were originally. So, the message to take away from this is to start working on things as soon as possible, and never wait until the last minute because you never know what sorts of problems could present themselves.

Timothy

If I could go back to high school as a senior I would advise myself to work on my study habits, apply myself more in high school, and take my education more seriously. Looking back, high school had a great impact on my current study habits and if I knew then what I know now, I would have disciplined myself more and nurture my study habits. I would also apply myself more during class. I realize now that I did not do as well in high school because I did not try. There seemed to always be something more important at the time but now I realize that nothing is more important than a good education. And with that last thought, I would take my education as a whole more serious. I would concentrate more on what I wanted to do with my life, what career I would focus on, and concentrate my high school education towards bettering my future. I realize now that I lost so much opportunity in high school that I will never get back. If I could go back, knowing what I know now, these are the pieces of advise that I would give myself.

Melissa

I cannot believe how green Humboldt State is, there are millions of different trash and recylce cans all over the campus. I greatly unique because I was used to schools with one trash can where everyone threw their trash. Its amazing how the Humboldt is commited to making our planet greener.

I would tell myself do not worry about these immature high school kids, soon you will be at college where for the most part people are different and are more mature about life and their decisions. Do not worry about moving to a new place, this change will be good for you it will soon become the best time of your life. You have come so far now there is no point in worring about not fitting in, or what people will think about you going to Humboldt State. This was and is your choice it is perfect for you and you know it. Just be yourself and everything will fall into place.

The best thing is how small most of the classes, which is greatly helpful to the students if they need one on one attention. Not all classes are less than 30 students but the professors still make time to have one on one meetings with their students. I know from personal experience that the professors will do whatever they can to help you pass, no matter the class size.

Luther

First and foremost, I would tell my former self to stop sulking - to just move forward and make due what is immediately available. In 12th grade, I wasted far too much time feeling sorry for myself rather than attempting to learn. I would also tell past self to endure the the horrid high school and not let the staff or students get to him - because if he does well in high school, then he has a much higher chance of getting into a prestigious university and networking with people who would have similar values and interests. Further, I would tell myself start exercising, as a form of therapy for the mind - also a challenge for the body. I believe that if I simply had access to something challenging and methodical to pursue, then I would have been better off in high school. Furthermore, I would my past self to stop playing video game, as they are useless and get one nowhere. That time could be better spent self-educating (such as taking online classes like the AI class offered by Stanford), drawing, painting, composing, gardening, weightlifting, and other constructive/creative endeavors. If only - oh, well. I am moving forward now.

Rebecca

Looking back, I would tell myself go as far away as you would like, but do not run out of biterness or angst. Go to a school far away only if you want to explore and experience, not because you want to get away from everything. I would tell myself to do more research about the programs, so if I change my major, I have other options. I would also tell myself to move into an apartment, not a dorm! Lastly, I would tell myself "YES, you will be homesick. YES, you will cry and cry until you go home, but be prepared for it, and know it will only make you stronger to stick it out."

The best thing about Humboldt State University is its natural setting. It is nestled along the coast and into the redwoods. It is a beautiful place to relax, do homework and find yourself.

I wish I had known more about the influence of drugs on the school. I had heard things about it, but I wasn't aware Humboldt was so heavily influenced by it.

Nicholas

Humboldt State is paradise, plain and simple.

Humboldt State is paradise, plain and simple.

Knowing what I know now about college, I would advise my high school self to not procrastinate. I've spent countless hours pulling all-nighters to study for a test or finish an essay. Although I still tend to do well when I procrastinate, it causes unneeded stress.

The most frustrating thing about Humboldt State is the upper administration, such as the president. I feel that the president and his administration are more in it for the money and not for the students.

Matt

Generally open-minded and unique individuals, there are always exceptions at all colleges.

Seriously push yourself to apply to all the scholarship you can find, even if you dont seem to qualify for it. And research internship opportunities so that your first summer of college can be spent in other parts of the country or even abroad doing research on your choice of fields. Besides, first year applicants are viewed as motivated and determined. Don't bring too much stuff for residence halls, the room will be somewhat smaller than you think. And most important of all, know yourself and follow your heart. Listen and seek out advice from professors, advisors, and others, but always make your own decision. For example, know your capacities, if your advisors push you to take certain 'heavy' classes your first semester, or even second, don't think that "I can do it!" and load it up on your schedule. Many times these classes are not ment to be taken by first year students. So know your capacities and be realistic, If you decide to go for it, good for you! but if the decision is to wait, there's no rush. College is about self-discovery not taking all the class ASAP and get out.

Registration Times. Seeing other people register for classes before you can be quite fustrating. But since I cant do anthing about it, you just have to go with the flow.

Jeffrey

The second I got through that time portal, I would slap my younger self across the cheek and shake him by the shoulders like a rag doll. I’d yell, “Jeff! Jeff! You need to listen to me! You need to start programming more and get some completed games under your belt!” I’d pause to catch my breath. “Okay, after you graduate, I know that you think your GPA and community service is going to help you get into the college you want, but you’re wrong! The world of academia becomes a cut throat, dog eat dog competition after high school, you need to bring more to the table. You need to create more interesting things to show colleges that you are worth their time. The colleges that you want to attend are going to have three hundred people vying to get into a thirty seat program, so grit your teeth and be more competitive. “ I’d finally calm down and finish motivating myself “I know it’s not pretty but it’s true, only the best people become successful in the world of game design, so get to it or be left behind.”

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.