Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

Rebecca

Looking back, I would tell myself go as far away as you would like, but do not run out of biterness or angst. Go to a school far away only if you want to explore and experience, not because you want to get away from everything. I would tell myself to do more research about the programs, so if I change my major, I have other options. I would also tell myself to move into an apartment, not a dorm! Lastly, I would tell myself "YES, you will be homesick. YES, you will cry and cry until you go home, but be prepared for it, and know it will only make you stronger to stick it out."

The best thing about Humboldt State University is its natural setting. It is nestled along the coast and into the redwoods. It is a beautiful place to relax, do homework and find yourself.

I wish I had known more about the influence of drugs on the school. I had heard things about it, but I wasn't aware Humboldt was so heavily influenced by it.

Nicholas

Humboldt State is paradise, plain and simple.

Humboldt State is paradise, plain and simple.

Knowing what I know now about college, I would advise my high school self to not procrastinate. I've spent countless hours pulling all-nighters to study for a test or finish an essay. Although I still tend to do well when I procrastinate, it causes unneeded stress.

The most frustrating thing about Humboldt State is the upper administration, such as the president. I feel that the president and his administration are more in it for the money and not for the students.

Matt

Generally open-minded and unique individuals, there are always exceptions at all colleges.

Seriously push yourself to apply to all the scholarship you can find, even if you dont seem to qualify for it. And research internship opportunities so that your first summer of college can be spent in other parts of the country or even abroad doing research on your choice of fields. Besides, first year applicants are viewed as motivated and determined. Don't bring too much stuff for residence halls, the room will be somewhat smaller than you think. And most important of all, know yourself and follow your heart. Listen and seek out advice from professors, advisors, and others, but always make your own decision. For example, know your capacities, if your advisors push you to take certain 'heavy' classes your first semester, or even second, don't think that "I can do it!" and load it up on your schedule. Many times these classes are not ment to be taken by first year students. So know your capacities and be realistic, If you decide to go for it, good for you! but if the decision is to wait, there's no rush. College is about self-discovery not taking all the class ASAP and get out.

Registration Times. Seeing other people register for classes before you can be quite fustrating. But since I cant do anthing about it, you just have to go with the flow.

Jeffrey

The second I got through that time portal, I would slap my younger self across the cheek and shake him by the shoulders like a rag doll. I’d yell, “Jeff! Jeff! You need to listen to me! You need to start programming more and get some completed games under your belt!” I’d pause to catch my breath. “Okay, after you graduate, I know that you think your GPA and community service is going to help you get into the college you want, but you’re wrong! The world of academia becomes a cut throat, dog eat dog competition after high school, you need to bring more to the table. You need to create more interesting things to show colleges that you are worth their time. The colleges that you want to attend are going to have three hundred people vying to get into a thirty seat program, so grit your teeth and be more competitive. “ I’d finally calm down and finish motivating myself “I know it’s not pretty but it’s true, only the best people become successful in the world of game design, so get to it or be left behind.”

HSU is widley stereotyped as having a strong drug culture, but during my three years on this campus I have not been pressured to do any drugs. Our campus is a drug free zone, so anyone with drug paraphernalia on campus may risk losing thier on-campus housing.

Dear high school me, Your first year as a college student will be different from any experiences you have had so far, but don't be scared. Moving away from home and meeting all new people may seem intimidating to you now, but there is a lot of fun out there for you. My greatest advice that I could give you would be to explore the campus and find a club to join. If your intimidated by walking around the campus by yourself, ask your new roommates to come with you. They probably feel as awkward as you do. During my first year of college I was afraid to make friends so I mostly stayed at home, but then I decided to join a club and I began seeing people I knew around campus. You wouldn't believe the difference that made! It doesn't matter what club you join (HSU has a circus club!) as long as its something you're interested in. The moral of my story is, don't let your first year of college be a lonely one!

The worst thing about HSU is the limited parking space. If you have a vehicle the parking permit is more than $150 dollars per semester. If any freshmen are planning to live on campus I would recommend they save thier money to spend with thier friends. The transit system is free and it will take you anywhere, even the mall. Otherwise, there is always gonna be someone out there who didn't get my advice; hitch a ride from them.

Michelle

All the students in HSU are layed back and very nice. They are hippy-ish but most of the people are very nice.

I would let my self know a lot of things. First off, no matter how much you dont like home the fartherest school is not the greatest thing. A school near the beach might not be as close as you think it is. DONT pick a school because its just close to the ocean, take your time and choose wisely. Follow your heart and not let people push you into a place you might even just a little bit regret later. Promises never work out the way you think they will. Be STRONGER then you have been, DO NOT walk on egg shells when it comes to things that will effect your life in college. Speak out dont be so shy, you shouldnt stress so much, friends come easier than you think. Dont loose touch with your old ones either, they will be very helpful. You are STRONGER than you think and you can make it happen. I would give myself the courge that I didnt have when I went into college and that I have now only a semester in.

Even when the school says you dont need a car. If you want to find a job, you have to have a car. And the beach is not that close, again you need a car!

Muhammad

Humboldt State University is known for the science program

Humboldt State University is known for the science program

So far my college experience has been great. The classes that I took last semester and that I am taking now are all really interesting and fun. This semester I am signed up for a freshman seminar where science major students get to work the professors on what they can do throughout their years as a science major and also get to learn about the research that the professors are working on. I find that the skills that I am learning about organization and motivation are really important, not only in school but just about every where, because without motivation there is know where to go.

A better understanding of how college worked.

thorin

College has given me new reason to live through a renewed sense of purpose. It has given me extensive understanding of various fascinating aspects of the world that surrounds us. From that diverse background new ways of thinking have been created as well as countless new ideas. College has developed many social aspects of my personality as well. How to work in groups, convey information to others, and many other valuable life skills. Most importantly to me, my college experience has made me the person I am today; intelligent, caring, and eager to do my part to make this world a better place.

Attitude. Everyone here is excited about life and their perspective futures. Great environment to learn, with real hands on experience doing what you learn in the classroom. Not to mention HSU is located in the heart of the redwoods, in a very small town, which promotes a focused educational experience. The best thing about my school is the quality of the education recieved combined with the experience it provides, gives students an undersanding of the world that is genuine and long lasting.

Perhaps most frustrating is the hypocracy that lies within the current college presidents administration. On the one hand HSU proclaims itself as the environmentally sound school of the future, while at the same time approving building and construction plans that can hardly be considered green. I feel that the school should strive harder in all of its decisions to put more into practice what they preach; meaning that they trully be the leaders and innovators of new green technologyies,

College has been a real eye opening experience. I am the first of my family to ever attend college and go on to get a college degree. While attending, I have learned so much. College is a place where you are open to be independent, meet new friends, and learn all at the same time.

Nichole

While I wrote earlier that living on campus was the worst part of college thus far, I have gained much from living here as well. My new found friends have made such a big impact on my life. I have learned the value of friendship. These upcoming years in college are some of the hardest in life thus far. You leave the security of home to live in a new place all on your own., you have a lot of classes you have to do more than study a little bit the night before to pass, basically you learn to be independant. But you don't have to do it alone. There are friends everywhere that love you and are willing to help you make it through those hard times. No matter who you are, you will find people who are like you and who can relate with what you are going through. They have been so valuable to me because they have helped make my life worth living in those hard times, and likewise I am learning to be a dependable friend for them.

Living in the dorms. One, it is hard to escape the campus bubble when everything you need is right in front of you, food, library, classes and home. However, at least the forest is next door to take a relaxing walk in and escape for a bit. Two, I do not like living under house rules. Of course the rules are nothing ridiculously obscure, but all the basics. And three, there are a lot of messy people that leave the community areas a wreck and the whole building gets fined if no one confesses it was their mess.

To attend HSU you should be a person who likes the outdoors and doesn't mind walking a lot. Due to the great variance in elevation accross the campus it helps if you like stairs and hills too. The typical student either is an artist in some form or has great appreciation for the arts but is also environmentally concious. Also, a big part of coming to Humboldt is accepting the rains. If you don't like being in colder, rainy weather Humboldt probably is not for you.

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.