Arcata, CA
Humboldt State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Humboldt State University

HSU is widley stereotyped as having a strong drug culture, but during my three years on this campus I have not been pressured to do any drugs. Our campus is a drug free zone, so anyone with drug paraphernalia on campus may risk losing thier on-campus housing.

Dear high school me, Your first year as a college student will be different from any experiences you have had so far, but don't be scared. Moving away from home and meeting all new people may seem intimidating to you now, but there is a lot of fun out there for you. My greatest advice that I could give you would be to explore the campus and find a club to join. If your intimidated by walking around the campus by yourself, ask your new roommates to come with you. They probably feel as awkward as you do. During my first year of college I was afraid to make friends so I mostly stayed at home, but then I decided to join a club and I began seeing people I knew around campus. You wouldn't believe the difference that made! It doesn't matter what club you join (HSU has a circus club!) as long as its something you're interested in. The moral of my story is, don't let your first year of college be a lonely one!

The worst thing about HSU is the limited parking space. If you have a vehicle the parking permit is more than $150 dollars per semester. If any freshmen are planning to live on campus I would recommend they save thier money to spend with thier friends. The transit system is free and it will take you anywhere, even the mall. Otherwise, there is always gonna be someone out there who didn't get my advice; hitch a ride from them.

Michelle

All the students in HSU are layed back and very nice. They are hippy-ish but most of the people are very nice.

I would let my self know a lot of things. First off, no matter how much you dont like home the fartherest school is not the greatest thing. A school near the beach might not be as close as you think it is. DONT pick a school because its just close to the ocean, take your time and choose wisely. Follow your heart and not let people push you into a place you might even just a little bit regret later. Promises never work out the way you think they will. Be STRONGER then you have been, DO NOT walk on egg shells when it comes to things that will effect your life in college. Speak out dont be so shy, you shouldnt stress so much, friends come easier than you think. Dont loose touch with your old ones either, they will be very helpful. You are STRONGER than you think and you can make it happen. I would give myself the courge that I didnt have when I went into college and that I have now only a semester in.

Even when the school says you dont need a car. If you want to find a job, you have to have a car. And the beach is not that close, again you need a car!

Muhammad

Humboldt State University is known for the science program

Humboldt State University is known for the science program

So far my college experience has been great. The classes that I took last semester and that I am taking now are all really interesting and fun. This semester I am signed up for a freshman seminar where science major students get to work the professors on what they can do throughout their years as a science major and also get to learn about the research that the professors are working on. I find that the skills that I am learning about organization and motivation are really important, not only in school but just about every where, because without motivation there is know where to go.

A better understanding of how college worked.

thorin

College has given me new reason to live through a renewed sense of purpose. It has given me extensive understanding of various fascinating aspects of the world that surrounds us. From that diverse background new ways of thinking have been created as well as countless new ideas. College has developed many social aspects of my personality as well. How to work in groups, convey information to others, and many other valuable life skills. Most importantly to me, my college experience has made me the person I am today; intelligent, caring, and eager to do my part to make this world a better place.

Attitude. Everyone here is excited about life and their perspective futures. Great environment to learn, with real hands on experience doing what you learn in the classroom. Not to mention HSU is located in the heart of the redwoods, in a very small town, which promotes a focused educational experience. The best thing about my school is the quality of the education recieved combined with the experience it provides, gives students an undersanding of the world that is genuine and long lasting.

Perhaps most frustrating is the hypocracy that lies within the current college presidents administration. On the one hand HSU proclaims itself as the environmentally sound school of the future, while at the same time approving building and construction plans that can hardly be considered green. I feel that the school should strive harder in all of its decisions to put more into practice what they preach; meaning that they trully be the leaders and innovators of new green technologyies,

College has been a real eye opening experience. I am the first of my family to ever attend college and go on to get a college degree. While attending, I have learned so much. College is a place where you are open to be independent, meet new friends, and learn all at the same time.

Nichole

While I wrote earlier that living on campus was the worst part of college thus far, I have gained much from living here as well. My new found friends have made such a big impact on my life. I have learned the value of friendship. These upcoming years in college are some of the hardest in life thus far. You leave the security of home to live in a new place all on your own., you have a lot of classes you have to do more than study a little bit the night before to pass, basically you learn to be independant. But you don't have to do it alone. There are friends everywhere that love you and are willing to help you make it through those hard times. No matter who you are, you will find people who are like you and who can relate with what you are going through. They have been so valuable to me because they have helped make my life worth living in those hard times, and likewise I am learning to be a dependable friend for them.

Living in the dorms. One, it is hard to escape the campus bubble when everything you need is right in front of you, food, library, classes and home. However, at least the forest is next door to take a relaxing walk in and escape for a bit. Two, I do not like living under house rules. Of course the rules are nothing ridiculously obscure, but all the basics. And three, there are a lot of messy people that leave the community areas a wreck and the whole building gets fined if no one confesses it was their mess.

To attend HSU you should be a person who likes the outdoors and doesn't mind walking a lot. Due to the great variance in elevation accross the campus it helps if you like stairs and hills too. The typical student either is an artist in some form or has great appreciation for the arts but is also environmentally concious. Also, a big part of coming to Humboldt is accepting the rains. If you don't like being in colder, rainy weather Humboldt probably is not for you.

Hillary

Humboldt State University is well known for its Marine Biology program, and is the only university on the West Coast that has a research vessel for undergrads as well as upper division students.

While attending Humboldt State University, I have gained the ability to think critically. Whether I am reading, writing, debating, or listening, I try to view the subject at hand through different lenses and ideals. This method has allowed me to gain a world view by considering and analyzing the opinions of others. While in school, I have grown as a person and have developed better social skills. This growth positively affects the confidence I have in my school work. I am developing better study habits and have gained more self motivation.

I love the environment at Humboldt State Univerisity. The campus has a casual and friendly atmosphere, and professors are passionate and involved in thier studies and their students' progress. Class sizes are small, allowing for interactive learning and discussion.

Christine

I have recieved alot of valuable experience from attending college so far. I am now a Sophmore and I love what I have already accomplished. I have developed the confidence and motivation to become a leader in my community. I am a student-athlete. I participate in Rowing and I am currently striving to complete my pre-nursing prerequisites at Humboldt State university. Being an athlete this past year has taught me about perserverence and discipline. I feel strong winning a race and passing a math class because it takes hard work to excell at both together. I realized that no matter what the challenge or obstacle ahead of me I know that if I keep pushing I will win in the end. I have been able to meet the most intellectual and knowledgeable coaches, teachers and peers that I will forever cherish and keep. And with confidence, I decided to persue a career as a Medical Assistant at Carrington College of California. It is my stepping stone towards Nursing. Because I am in college I know the knowlege and hands-on expereince that I am gaining will launch my career goals and get me into the real world.

The best thing about Humboldt State University is the outdoor tourist destinations. To name a couple. There is the Redwood Forest. It is right behind the university and also there is a park along side it. It is beautiful and full of huge eucalyptus trees and more. It has rivers and paths to travel on. Also, we have alot of beaches along highway 101 as you drive north. My favorite is Trinidad beach. I simply adore all the beauty.

Humboldt State University is a science , natured school. Alot of the students are interested in sciences like biology, chemistry, astrologly; also diving, hiking and camping. One must be a outdoors type because there is alot of beautiful nature to be explored in Humboldt County. One must like or even better love the rain because it is inevitable in the winter. The students and faculty are very friendly and calm people. I felt very comfortable because of the outgoing people that are willing to try new things and meet new people. One must be open to a somewhat diverse ethnic campus.

Jenni

HSU is a diverse college that offers opportunies for almost every student and has a very relaxed yet fun atmosphere.

So far I haven't gotten too much out of my college experience. I've only been in college for about two months though and I haven high expectations for the future. I'm getting help with trying to study abroad and I wuoldn't be able to go abroad at all if it wasn't for school. That is one of the things that I am most excited about.

It's hard to schedule classes into a workable scedule. many class time are back to back or all at the same time.

Erika

College is something everyone should experience. It gives you more confidence and teaches you about life and how you can survive in the world on your own. It isn’t As each as middle school or high school, but at the end its worth it. I remember going on the first day. I had the stomach ache you get when your nervous. But as soon as I walked into my first class I knew I was going to like it. The students were interacting with each other and the professor as well. I made new friends and learned new things. Homework is probably the hardest thing about college. No one likes writing essays and staying up all night studying for the big exam, but at the end it’ll be worth it. You can get a better job and better opportunities in the real world with a college degree. My college experience has been great. I made new friends, gained more confidence to go out on my own, and I know professors and counselors are always going to be there to help me. Attending college has been very valuable to me. Attending college is a great life experience.

Humboldt State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.