Humboldt State University

« See more reviews of Humboldt State University

Heather, You're a smart and beautiful person, inside and out, no matter what anyone says. You have the potential to accomplish whatever you set your heart on. You just need to have a focus. Start with something small, focus on doing the best that you can do on every test, assignment, and page of notes. Join a sport! It's a great way to stay active, obtain friendships, and build self-esteem. Though it's awkard and scary at first, involve yourself in extracurricular activities--it's nice to be apart of something, and it looks great on applications and scholarships. Speaking of which, stop procrastinating. Go to the counselling office and get help, that's why they are there! I would conclude my talk by playing a song by Sidewalk Prophets called "The Words I Would Say." Here's the the chorus: Be strong in the Lord And never give up hope You're gonna do great things I already know God's got His hand on You So don't live life in fear Forgive and forget But don't forget why you're here Take your time and pray These are the words I would say

It is so incredibly important for students to pick a college where they are going to be comfortable stepping out of their shoes. College is really the time when students are faced with so many different challenges, both good and bad, from building relationships with new people, trying to be comfortable with being out on their own and independent, values and beliefs will be challenged, long stressful days, balancing work with school and social life, just many, many hard decisions and new experiences and responsibilities left and right. Students really need to take the time and consideration to check into many different schools, even ones away from home. They need to visit the colleges, talk to current students and professors, ask lots of questions. Students need to get an idea of what the college is all about- the teachers, classes, campus, extra actvities, the town itself and surrounding areas. College shapes the rest of ones life so students need to surround themselves with the ideas, attitudes and people that they aspire to be. Take the time to learn about the college before making such a big decision, it will save a lot of stress, confusion, and unhappiness.

First and foremost, I would tell my former self to stop sulking - to just move forward and make due what is immediately available. In 12th grade, I wasted far too much time feeling sorry for myself rather than attempting to learn. I would also tell past self to endure the the horrid high school and not let the staff or students get to him - because if he does well in high school, then he has a much higher chance of getting into a prestigious university and networking with people who would have similar values and interests. Further, I would tell myself start exercising, as a form of therapy for the mind - also a challenge for the body. I believe that if I simply had access to something challenging and methodical to pursue, then I would have been better off in high school. Furthermore, I would my past self to stop playing video game, as they are useless and get one nowhere. That time could be better spent self-educating (such as taking online classes like the AI class offered by Stanford), drawing, painting, composing, gardening, weightlifting, and other constructive/creative endeavors. If only - oh, well. I am moving forward now.

If I could give myself advice as a high school senior about higher education, it would be: be as involved with your community as possible, talk to other majors, take classes outside of your major that you know nothing about because they interest you, share meals with your friends every chance you get, realize that addictions are a result of someone not receiving the support they need to balance, seek out your professors to tell them your dreams and ideas, have alone time every day, don't watch tv, don't expect your professors to have all of the answers, ask questions, realize issues are a lot more related than institutions want you to realize they are, and make sure you make people feel good about themselves every chance you have, don't waste money on movies or video games, maintain and use but don't abuse your body, get to know the aspirations and beliefs of your colleagues, talk about what your friends are learning, support your friends in their extracurricular activities, uncomfortable conversations are usually the most important to have, and schools don't empower you... the very knowledge which you wield does.

It is very important that the college is in a location that is convenient, appealing, and not distractive. A lot of students want to go far away from their homes then later decide that they are too far and transfer to be closer. A lot of students also choose a school based soley on academics and end up on a campus with people and activities that are not to their taste. They might choose a school in the country only to find that they miss the city, or find out later that the campus favors athletics as opposed to a personal artistic preference. Finially it is important that the college isn't too distracting. If the school is known as a "party school" students will have hard times finding the time or a quiet place to study. Choosing a college a lot of your friends attend is also a quality students will find distractive. It is very important to feel comfortable in your campus. Compromising these qualities can lead to negative feelings towards the campus which interfers with learning and may also lead to transfering. Transfering ends up being very expensive and can lead to repeating classes already completed.

I have recieved alot of valuable experience from attending college so far. I am now a Sophmore and I love what I have already accomplished. I have developed the confidence and motivation to become a leader in my community. I am a student-athlete. I participate in Rowing and I am currently striving to complete my pre-nursing prerequisites at Humboldt State university. Being an athlete this past year has taught me about perserverence and discipline. I feel strong winning a race and passing a math class because it takes hard work to excell at both together. I realized that no matter what the challenge or obstacle ahead of me I know that if I keep pushing I will win in the end. I have been able to meet the most intellectual and knowledgeable coaches, teachers and peers that I will forever cherish and keep. And with confidence, I decided to persue a career as a Medical Assistant at Carrington College of California. It is my stepping stone towards Nursing. Because I am in college I know the knowlege and hands-on expereince that I am gaining will launch my career goals and get me into the real world.

If able to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would be tempted to tell myself many things: not just pieces of advice, but warning and hopeful messages. However, in hindsight, I would not tell myself anything. The things I most greatly needed to hear came from people much older and wiser than I am now. The things I needed to hear came from unexpected places whose discovery was as valuable and enlightening as the wisdom itself. In my first year of college, I have learned so much and been on such an incredible journey that I would not dare jeopardize losing these experiences by attempting to make my life marginally easier. In addition, advice heard is never nearly as valuable as advice realized. The process of discovery and realization was, for me, well worth the loneliness, fear, doubt, and pain I pose to minimize with advice. I already possessed much of what I needed to know, it was merely a matter of applying it. The things I did not already know, I serendipitously stumbled upon. I suppose if I were to tell myself one thing, I would remind myself that I am stronger than I know.

To mitigate the significance of choosing the right college would be like leaving the apples out of apple pie. This is the first step of many in determining one's college experience. However, it is easy to place an immense amount of weight upon such a decision. There is no possible way to sum up a quick, do-it-yourself recipe for selecting a college. Students are not a bunch of apples on a tree waiting to be pruned, peeled, and shoved into a perfect pastry. Each individual has different tastes, different sights and goals. The importance rather, should be placed on knowing yourself inside and out. A student needs to recognize what they want to get out of the college experience and what kind of atmosphere will be most conducive for it. Parents, on the other hand, have a tricky role to play as well. Not only do they have to watch their perfect little apples fall off the tree, they know they cannot be there to catch them, to guide them along the way. Be supportive with what your young adult chooses; if they know themselves well, any environment has potential for growth and inspiration.

Jessica, you are about to have the best experience of your life! Humboldt State is absolutely amazing and there are a lot of fun activities that are you going to be able to attend. Although, transitioning from living with your parents to moving out on your own will be a very difficult transition, you will be able to do it! The best advice I could give you would be to start saving money now! Humboldt State Jessica is unfortunately depending heavily on student loans. If I were able to start over again I would have applied for scholarships my freshman year in high school. Even though you are a senior you should start applying now because it will definitely make a huge impact. Do not worry, college life is very different from high school. Forget about all your insecurities as well as all the people you wish you were friends with, and start getting excited about all the awesome friends you are about to meet at Humboldt State. The most important advice I can give you is keep smiling, keep enjoying life, and continue to have fun. The semesters at HSU fly by and so does life, so enjoy it!

Seriously push yourself to apply to all the scholarship you can find, even if you dont seem to qualify for it. And research internship opportunities so that your first summer of college can be spent in other parts of the country or even abroad doing research on your choice of fields. Besides, first year applicants are viewed as motivated and determined. Don't bring too much stuff for residence halls, the room will be somewhat smaller than you think. And most important of all, know yourself and follow your heart. Listen and seek out advice from professors, advisors, and others, but always make your own decision. For example, know your capacities, if your advisors push you to take certain 'heavy' classes your first semester, or even second, don't think that "I can do it!" and load it up on your schedule. Many times these classes are not ment to be taken by first year students. So know your capacities and be realistic, If you decide to go for it, good for you! but if the decision is to wait, there's no rush. College is about self-discovery not taking all the class ASAP and get out.