Humboldt State University

« See more reviews of Humboldt State University

I attended an early college program. While I entered HSU as a first time freshman, I came with many college units. Because of this, I have run into a few minor problems and am still working to sort some of it out. There is nothing specific I wish I had known, I just wish I knew that these units were going to be such an inconvenience so I could have started working to remedy the issues sooner.

There isn't much that I really needed to know. But if I had to pick one thing, it would be that the people despite how crazy they may look are nice and very friendly. There is the feeling of love and peace in Humboldt. Rather than being scared to go out and make new friends because of all the new and different people, I should have been open and confident in myself and those around me.

I wish I had known more about the field I am majoring in. Although I knew what I wanted to major in, I did not know a lot about the programs available. I wish I had done more research on the program and its available classes. But now that I am in some classes related to my major, I know more about the field and the classes available at the school.

I wish I was aware of how remote and gray the area is. The town is small, less than 15,000 people, and the closest big city is 4 hours away. I also wish I was aware that while we are on the coast, to get into the water a wet suit of atleast 3mm is needed (in the summer the ocean is about 50 degrees), and 60% of the time it is gray and rainy.

Some of the students don't take their education as seriously as myself and others. Humboldt tends to see alot of drinking and marijuana use from that set of students, which can be particullarly grating during group project meetings. However, those preforming such acts in the more rigorus programs tend to drop or change majors.

There isn't much to do in Humboldt County, not much nightlife, and not much is open on the weekends. It is nicer to live outside Eureka, the largest city (in my opinion) but Eureka is where most of the stores are. That's about it... Humboldt is awesome, just really small in terms of population

This is going to sound clichéd, but I wish I had had a stronger idea of how I wanted to shape my career at the time I re-enrolled in community college. I might have been better able to plan my courses for transfer, and avoided certain issues I have subsequently encountered with unit caps!

I wish I had know how chill the enviorment is, and how everyone is so laidback. I would have also like to know who my roommates were and how they act. This is because they were nothing like I excpected and it has made living arragments a little uncomfortable.

I wish I had known that I would eventually change my major. Then I could have declined to declare a major, and focused on GE classes while I thought about what I wanted to do. Now that I changed my major I'm behind on core classes.

The dorms are full of drama. I wish I had lived off campus instead of in the dorms my first two years. It's kind of hard to get into the dorms after freshman year, although they have started building a new set of dorms for 2010.