Humboldt State University

« See more reviews of Humboldt State University

Humboldt State is nestled right in the Redwoods and on the coast. There is plenty of flora and fauna to excite any botanist, zoologist, forester or wildlife advocate. Humboldt's location allows for students majoring in science to gain hands on experience with wildlife and marine mammals. Even more, it's extraordinary location is the supreme place for outdoor adventurers. Students can go backpacking, surfing, rock climbing, you name it. I chose Humboldt for my love for the outdoors and to major in zoology. I truly believe a location in the Redwood forest is the best thing about Humboldt State.

For me, the best thing about HSU is its inclusivity, in every sense of the word. The natural beauty and rich history of Humboldt County have attracted faculty members of widely diverse experience, especially in natural resources and sciences, but also in geography (my major) and other disciplines. Its focus on diversity attracts students from all over the state, so even though HSU is in a rural area its student body reflects "the many states of California" (to borrow a phrase from a recent advertising campaign). HSU is a microcosm of the best the surrounding community has to offer.

As an engineering student, I would say the engineering program. Humboldt has a very strong Environmental Resourses Engineering major. It also tends strongly to other biological sciences, including biochemistry, forestry, and wildlife. The professors for these programs are all very helpful and are very willing to work with students beyond the classroom. However liberal arts majors, art majors in particular, may find inspiration in the surrounding area. Its a very beautiful location, though my work schedual often forces me to forget it.

The best thing about Humboldt State has to be the faculty involvement. The teachers here want each and every student to succeed, and when one student starts to get behind, they do their best to make sure and address the ways in order to help that student succeed. Aside from that, I'd say the schools location is a big plus! It's set with a forest as it's background, and it's only a short 5-10 minute drive from the nearest beach. You can go swimming or hiking, depending on what mood you're in.

Attitude. Everyone here is excited about life and their perspective futures. Great environment to learn, with real hands on experience doing what you learn in the classroom. Not to mention HSU is located in the heart of the redwoods, in a very small town, which promotes a focused educational experience. The best thing about my school is the quality of the education recieved combined with the experience it provides, gives students an undersanding of the world that is genuine and long lasting.

I love my school for many reasons as it has so much to offer that large universities do not. I believe Humboldt State's best quality is it location. The location of the school provides so much diverse and different scencery that you would not experience anywhere else. As my school resides in the redwood forest among thousands of trees along the mountains but at the same time you are on the coast of california almost making it feel like the area is much larger than it actually is.

The best thing about Humboldt State University is the outdoor tourist destinations. To name a couple. There is the Redwood Forest. It is right behind the university and also there is a park along side it. It is beautiful and full of huge eucalyptus trees and more. It has rivers and paths to travel on. Also, we have alot of beaches along highway 101 as you drive north. My favorite is Trinidad beach. I simply adore all the beauty.

The teachers are definitely one of the best things about Humboldt State. They have valuable experiences that they can use to teach students. Teachers care about your education and try to make the best of what resources are available to them. I know that my social work teachers want to really help me figure out what I want to do after graduation. They make time for the students. in their busy days.

The teachers in my department are engaging, esay to talk to and extremely helpful not only in the classroom but with life outside and after college. They prepare students to meet requirments for grad schools and looking for jobs after they are graduated. Most schools only focus on the teaching but never preppare the student for life after college, here at Humboldt they do, at least in my department.

I've met numerous people in the student body as well as the faculty who are more than willing to aid me in my life and be there for me. Being a music graduate, I try to keep up and play with a few of my old professors in jazz ensembles and local blues groups. I can honestly say many of my professors have become friends now that I've graduated. It's a wonderful situation to be in.