Humboldt State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Humboldt State University

Humboldt was a school in transition while I was attending. There were a lot of changes happening that had both good and not so good results. One of the biggest issues that I had with some of these changes was the increased class sizes, due to the unlimited enrollment. Humboldt tends to be very inclusive, I haven't heard of anyone getting rejected, but in that same vein they were also actively recruiting new and transfer students while also not increasing course availability or number of instructors. This led to a lot of potential fire hazards with overfull classrooms. However, even through some of the more annoying aspects of going to a school that is bursting at the seams, is the huge amount of space available both on and off campus to study, relax, and enjoy the gorgeous scenery. I would not change anything about my time there, and I continue to view it with the greatest amount of awe and fondness.

Tanyx

I love the easy access to hiking trails, but there's not much else I can say I really like. Some professors are really nice and care about their students, some professors are hard or impossible to get in touch with. Some professors are really lax in their grading style and don't give a lot of constructive feedback to learn from; others are energetic about learning and exploring as much as possible. I will say that the clubs aren't good. There's some old guy in almost all of them, and it feels predatory to see so many old men that are just there that don't work for HSU and aren't students. Some clubs are overcrowded, and some don't have a lot of actual students.

Sabrina

Humboldt State University is a beautiful campus backed up against a redwood forest. The campus features tables and benches nestled in quiet, serene pockets of redwoods for students to relax at in between classes. Most of the professors I have encountered are eager to share their knowledge and experience with students and are more than happy to provide after-hours assistance, provided that the student has demonstrated a good work ethic and is already trying their hardest. For those with animal-related majors, the vertebrate museum is an invaluable resource and features some skulls found nowhere else. The issues with HSU lie in the budget. The campus has very little money and it shows in the antiquated lab devices and moldy smelling lecture rooms. Administrators make significantly more money than professors and would rather students lose some of the best minds the university has due to pay cuts and class cuts rather than take pay cuts themselves. It is a struggle to plan out semesters because classes are not offered on a predictable basis, and some are only offered every year-and-a-half. Furthermore, administration pushes "15 to finish," which encourages students to take 15 units per semester, even if it is detrimental to the student's GPA and mental health, all in the name of pushing students out the door of a severely overcrowded campus more quickly. Overall, the campus is beautiful, the faculty is wonderful, the administration is atrocious, and the parking has caused too many students to miss class.

Micah

HSU is a treasure trove. Like the emerald forests that surround campus, there are many niches for one to settle into. There is an abundance of themed housing for one to join, events both on and off campus, as well as general hang-outs the locals are eager to share. This is by no means limited to social life. Academically, Humboldt State houses plenty of opportunities for students to branch out and truly explore their field.

I am honestly really enjoying my time at Humboldt State. The amount of student ran activism(both socially and environmentally) is inspiring and influential. Because of students standing up for what they believe in, HSU is both sustainable and welcoming to everyone. We have meatless Mondays(no meat sold in the cafeteria on Mondays to cut back the amount of energy and resources used to produce it), plastic water bottles are banned on campus, and we recycle and compost. This school is also very socially and racially diverse; you will meet a lot of spunky, individual, welcoming people here! The main selling point is the natural beauty that HSU and Arcata provide. Surrounding rocky beaches and our very own redwood forest backyard makes for lots of adventures and opportunities to be outside. I feel comfortable on campus and feel that the professors, counselors, and other staff genuinely want me to succeed. I am in classes with on average 30 students, making my learning experience more personal and less stressful. We do have a lot of rainy days here, but the beautiful weather we do get makes those cold days worth while. Come join me at HSU!

Cherokee

Clear, starry night skies and refreshing forest air along with diverse humans is what I am embraced in at Humboldt State University. While studying for classes, you cannot forget that you are a human on this Earth only once. The forest and the delightful people remind me of this. And to be able to attend a university that reminds a person that he or she is a person, a human body with a soul, is a blessed thing. I'll tell you something: Academics are not a top priority for me, school is not one of my values. So if you, dear reader, are not a scholarly student either, but you do value knowledge, then I recommend Humboldt State University. And if you do not plan on attending this school, then I highly recommend visiting Arcata, or some other far-from-the-city place. Connect back with your spirit, with Mother Earth, with the Universe.

Sierra

I am so happy with my choice to go to Humboldt State. I was a little into the outdoors and stuff in high school, but after coming here, hiking and outdoor adventures are a part of my life. Everyone here is super friendly and you're sure to find something to talk about with anyone! The classroom sizes are small so you're able to get more one on one with teachers, and even if you can't they always have office hours that they all urge you to go to get extra help! Overall, the atmosphere or Humboldt is amazing!

Juan

Humboldt State University is great in that you get more interaction from your professors, who are very friendly and approachable. The campus is moderately large, but not too bad that you can walk to every class if you live on campus. The amount of extracurricular activities that they offer here and just outside is amazing! It's situated in a forest of beautiful Redwood trees, and only about a twenty minute drive to the closest beach. Lots to do, and everyone here is so friendly. Plus added bonus, we're huge on being environmentally friendly. In general, really great school for adventurers and not too much academic pressure.

Kevin

My overall opinion of the university is that I absolutely love it. It's a smaller than average campus, but it makes up for that by having a clean and positive student environment. Class sizes and usually in the 27:1 ratio. You get to know your professors very well and that's probably the most important thing to a student.

Juliet

There are a lot of internal issues within the university and the surrounding city. There is potential to be great but the economy is so poor that there is not a lot of movement unless one is involved in the medical marijuana industry, which the majority of students like me aren’t. It’s a beautiful area and I love it here but there is a big list of things that could be improved.

Kimberly

Its a great school

Eva

The environment is beautiful and people are great. It is a very welcoming university and it does its best to express equality among everyone despite its lack of diversity. The scenery is perfect for studying and taking in a breath of fresh air. However, housing is a very big problem most people do not know about. There are more students than housing spaces and finding housing off campus is not easy either.

I really enjoy the calm and welcoming culture. The people are so kind and relaxed. Since it is so small, the class sizes allow you to connect with your professors. As a STEM major, I was worried about not being able to have access to my professors when I needed to ask questions, but every time I have needed help, they have been there. There is lots of access to research, even as an undergrad. I highly recommend HSU for nature-loving students who want to go to a school that fosters that love.

Sarahi

With my experience attending Humboldt State I have discovered an atmosphere of determined students that want to make a change in the world with their selected careers ranging from English to Environmental Resource Engineering. There are a multitude of resources on campus and guidance from the major departments that provide help in achieving academic and non-academic goals you may have. Humboldt State is a place where you can explore the forest, beaches and environment between classes to take a break. As a freshman I was able to join various clubs such as Natural Resources Club and Super Smash Crew which have enabled me to feel more welcomed and involved. Another part of Humboldt State that has helped me feel welcomed is the Wildlife department which has given me resources and advice towards my career goals. In conclusion, HSU is a place that lets you obtain knowledge in many aspects and interests.

Cindy

I love it here!! Humboldt State University was basically my first choice school. I love that it is such an environmentally involved school. We try our best to keep the school as Green and Resourceful as possible. The community is very friendly and welcoming as well. And like it is enforced here at school, "you are welcome here, hate is not". I love HSU.

myzanne

The campus is stunning. The beach is not too far and the red woods are every where you look. Coming from Oregon, I feel very at home. The people are so kind and welcoming. I'll never get over how cute the down town is. Humboldt is known for it's science programs and it definitely lives up to that. Because there is so much untouched nature surrounding the campus, the opportunities are endless. I'm so glad I picked this college to attend. Class sizes aren't huge so I feel like I'll achieve a more personal connection with my professors.

Luis

Humboldt State is a school where you can truly be yourself without being afraid of judgement. There is room for all backgrounds, a place for all self expressions. Located in a beautiful, serene environment, one is sure to find themselves. The small classes and easily accessible faculty will help lead you to succeed academically. Overall, this amazing campus will show you the true meaning of expression, activism, and community, all while assisting you to gracefully succeed in the field in which you are studying.

Chelsea

I love HSU. I was a great learning opportunity in a beautiful region of Northern California. If anyone is interested in Natural Resources, Wildlife or Forestry I highly recommend it since you have a forest and other outdoor areas so close to study in. My major was very hands on and I learned so much. I love HSU and the whole area around it.

Mariana

I like how liberal and nice everyone is. The professors extend their office hours at times to accomadate the schedules of students. The school and students alike are very enivormentally aware with limiting the waste in and around campus. More than the majority of students care for making the world a better place. Not to mention the environment surrounding the campus; the beautiful scenery of the big red wood trees next to the ocean.

Elias

Humboldt is a very friendly, small campus. The professors are really great people as well. The staff and faculty truly care for the students. On-campus housing is definitely a must! But most importantly, Humboldt is the cheapest four year university in California.

Autumn

I have visited the campus on several occasions. Multiple times for Gate Academy, and several times for concerts and science fairs. It is the school I intend to transfer to in the somewhat near future and I only have good reviews of the campus so far. It's very beautiful. the teachers I have met were very nice and helpful. The other staff there that I have met, including transfer specialists and people who work the booths on College nights have been very nice and informative. This has allowed me high hopes for the classes I will attend at Humboldt State and all of the college professors that will be helping me to achieve my higher education.

natalia

I think Humboldt State University is a great school, the scenery is incredible, the students get involved, bring new students into conversations and look after each other. This school is very engaging in the well being of students and gives students a chance to excel

Mitzi

Humboldt State is a great University; especially if you love being in the outdoors. The campus is full of life and everyone I have met so far, including the professors, are extremely kind. What I absolutely adore is the fact that the university is literally next to the community forest which is filled with never ending outrageous, beautifu,l redwood trees.

Alexa

Middle of nowhere. Geographically isolated. This school is really its own world. you need to build and work to keep friendships alive or else it can be a lonely place (middle of the woods) Small town, limited food options, racist (mostly white), limited employment and living situations. a good school for science but thats about it. Hippies, potheads, and science nerds- welcome to humboldt state. bring a rain jacket, s.a.d. can be a bitch.

Humboldt State is a very cultural and nature loving school. We use our nearby beaches, forests and on campus wildlife area to help out our students with their classes that include what their major is. We are also a very green campus and we love to take care of the earth and make sure we all recycle or have reusable water bottles instead of plastic ones. Our campus is also into getting involved with the different cultures and the clubs that are behind each and every one whether it is joining a club or supporting that club when they have important activities going on.

Tina

I am very grateful for my education and experience at Humboldt State University.

max

This school was a huge waste of time and money. I had a scholarship so I was tied to this school, but I hated every minute of it. There is nothing to do in the area and the students are very niche. The on campus housing is absolute garbage(there were a couple rats in my building), and there is a huge housing problem in the area so many students become homeless since on campus is a lottery system. There is a huge drug problem with the locals and students. You’ll see crackheads on campus and there’s no security or police in sight. The buildings are deteriorating and outdated. This past year they cut lots of program’s budgets in half(at least). There is no school spirit for sports and all of our teams suck. Go Jacks!

Erik

When college first became a consideration, Humboldt was always my first choice, but my family would still not let me attend without at least a visit to tour the campus. It was everything i thought it would be. Beautiful, friendly, small, and surround by the most amazing giants. The community forest is my favorite part about the campus itself. Being a wildlife conservation and management major, there is no better opportunity for such a resource. The wildlife program in and of itself is also great. There is overall concern and respect for nature throughout the wildlife department, and I truly feel that I belong there. The class sizes make it easy to get up close and hand on experience with the wildlife we all hope to work with and help preserve. So few schools in California offer such a program, so it really is dream to be attending this school. The housing can use a bit of work, but the price is reasonable which allows individuals such as myself in need of financial assistance to attend college. Overall, Humboldt is a quiet little school out in almost the middle of no where, but the opportunities they provide through higher education and quality programs has had a big impact on my future aspirations.

Aime

Humboldt State has made learn a lot of new things. I got to meet new friends and make new memories. I am very happy that I chose HSU as my school. The experience has best the best with the forest and beach close to the college. I like how all the resources are easily accessible.

It is a beautiful campus but I only recommend attending if you are extremely into wildlife-type majors. I was an athlete at Humboldt and they just cut the football program. I think the school doesn't think highly of the athletes and sports events are last on the list of "things to do" on campus.

Leah

Minerva

The campus is great and small, which makes it really easy to get to one place to another. The staff and students here make everyone welcomed, which makes me feel safe about the school. There are also many opportunities at HSU that you can get access to that you never thought was available.

The campus is super green and surrounded by trees, the ocean is just a short drive away, and nature is everywhere. The campus is so pretty and everyone here seems to get along really well. I think it's a great school, though it can be expensive, but so are most colleges.

McKinley

Humboldt State University isn't perfect, no school is. But there are constantly things to do which is rare for a small town due to all of the outdoor activities such as surfing and hiking. The community also always has festivals, parades, and other activities going on as well. As for the schools majority of the students seem to be pretty socially aware and let their voices be heard. The majority of the student body is academically driven and doesn't let the administration take away their voice.

Danika

Humboldt State University is located in quite a beautiful area, surrounded by greenery and plenty of natural beauties. Just minutes away from the beaches and the redwood forests right in the backyard. It creates a welcoming and peaceful environment for the students who attend. The professors are very engaged with their students and determined to do what they can to help them thrive. The classroom sizes are small enough to not feel overwhelmed. The professors make a point to try and learn everyone’s name, which further reassures the students. Overall, Humboldt seems like a nice place to be attending college at.

Tristan

I think HSU is a great school if maybe you didn’t do the best in high school, but regret that somewhat and want to pursue further education. It is like any other college I’m sure, but I love how the culture and community is here. Everyone wants to have fun and a lot of people enjoy certain “extra curricular activities” which can be fun but everyone also seems to have a serious work ethic, with a few exceptions. This makes it easier to stay focused especially when living with all these other individuals with similar interests and drives as you.

I am extremely disappointed in Humboldt State. I, too was initially drawn in by the culture and location of this institute. The harsh realization is that there's nowhere to live, the school is broke and cuts programs every semester (like the football program and school radio), parking is a nightmare, and staff doesn't care about student's success.

Nalani

I'm a Humboldt State Ambassador, so my opinion may be a little biased. However, I love the overall atmosphere and vibe of Humboldt State. Everyone, including students and staff, are very welcoming and helpful. My professors are always there when I need help. Our school also very much focuses on the STEM majors. There are so many hands-on opportunities that I have/will take advantage of. For example, we have a Vertebrate Museum on campus and every sample is a one-on-one work with a professor and students! Plus, you can't beat Humboldt County. From the Redwoods to the Coast, you're sure to fall in love!

Hallee

Humboldt State University is a very small campus with many wonderful people attending the college. The professors are very nice and are always open to help with any questions. The campus is extremely beautiful and is surrounded by the forest where you can go hiking or rock climbing.

Morgan

It’s a great school. There’s an atmosphere that’s very conducive to learning and there are so many dedicated and passionate people here. Living on campus provides many opportunities to be involved, and usually your major will have a club associated with it that you can join. Overall, a great school!

Julie

I could not speak more poorly of this school. From the staff to the accommodations this school has nothing to praise. I graduated from here and I'm embarrassed to admit it. The courses are lazy and the acceptance rate is so high that the best and brightest are nowhere to be found. As harsh as this review seems, I wish someone had warned me what a waste this place is. I regret going here, even an online degree would have been a better investment and that's really the sad part of this all.

Ania

Humboldt State University is located in the beautiful town of Arcata. It’s surrounded by the beautiful rainforest full of tall redwoods and is 10-20 minutes away from the misty ocean. There is a wonderful community full of shops and activities and just overall good people, I grew up here and I am very grateful to also be going here for college.

Devan

HSU is A decent school. You will get out what you put in. The environment isn't super academic or competitive, you have to push yourself to be focused at times. But you can't beat the small class sizes, the scenery and location which allows you to stay focused. There aren't too many distractions, night clubs, or bars around. I would happily recommend Humboldt State University to an already focused student who has a clear goal in mind before entering college.

I enjoy going here. There’s always someone new to meet. Every professor I have had is more the willing to help you especially if you go to there office hours. There’s spots if you like sports but it does not run the school. There are few sororities and fraternities If you interested, and tons of clubs for everyone. Your 15 minutes from the ocean and a 5 minute walk to the redwoods. This is a fun place to be at, but it’s a bit hurt to find off campus housing so start early. All in all it is a cool place to be.

Sebastian

Humboldt State University has captured my attention fully with its surreal scenery and active student body. I'm extremely excited to attend the upcoming 2020-2021 term. I can already tell that Humboldt State will become a second home for me when I begin my curriculum them and I'm ecstatic. With the redwood forest as a backyard for the university there is so many opportunities to connect with nature. My future seems bright with HSU as my path to walk!