East Peoria, IL
Illinois Central College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois Central College

Cassandra

Illinois Central College was a great two year school. The campus is quite beautiful, and the teachers worked well with students. The teachers kept fairly open office hours and were always willing to spend time with students when they had questions. I really liked how the students were always active in activities around the school.

Dominique

I feel that ICC is one of the diamonds most people don't realize when it comes to education. The classes are extremely affordable and the teachers are always so involved in the not just teaching but also helping the students grow into adults. I've had teachers answers tax questions and personal issue questions. All around amazing experience.

Luke

I was glad to have the opportunity to do a dual credit class while I was still in high school, so I actually began college in high school. I have had the opportunity to have some really great teachers, and some that were good teachers but hard to understand. Scheduling has been an issue for my degree. I am moving on to an University and overall I feel prepared

TAJANAE

ICC is a good school to intend if you feel you aren't ready to attend a university. At ICC you are able to take your time, and go at your pace. The classes are perfect for me, it's not to many people, and the teachers are always available, their willing to meet with you before, during, and after class. And all of the counselors have a main goal of setting their students up for graduation.

First, please understand the type of student I am, then understand the type of college Illinois Central College is. Briefly, I began college directly after high school, back in 2008, not knowing exactly what I wanted to be. As for the college, ICC is an affordable, and close community college in terms of my proximity. At the time, it was a default choice. Having the stand-off attitude of a teenager, the college was under my direct scrutiny, but it never gave me reason to dislike the place. But after only two semesters, I needed time off for classes due to finances and other reasons. One teacher especially had reached out to me when he heard I wouldn’t be back for a while, saying it was sad to see me, and my talent, leaving the college. After about an eight year break, I finally returned, more than ready for a serious college career in preparation for my future. It was easy returning to the college, easy to make friends, and easy to find "my way". The teacher who had reached out to me in my first attendance, was still there teaching and making such a positive difference with the students and campus, that I was happy to have him again for several classes. He remembered who I was the moment I reconnected with my courses. This and other things about the college made me, as a student, feel very special, confident and welcome. In my time at ICC, seeing through more mature eyes, I can appreciate the many beneficial opportunities, the great teachers, and wonderful environment the college offers its students. For example (and I’ll name many) ICC provides free and affordable opportunities for students to gain help in their studies. There are learning labs, tutors for all subjects, study sessions, a large library, and computer stations with free internet access throughout the school. So there are many opportunities for students who may not have a home computer, or may need extra help in their grades to stay caught up in their classes. The teachers are always accessible, and willing to help their students, or just meet with them for good conversation. Many times I needed to visit a teacher about questions or difficulty in a course, and I’ve always found help, whomever I needed to meet with. The college is clean and organized as well, owing a great deal to the maintenance staff, who are also engaging to talk with. ICC has a campus cafe and cafeteria, where the food is always delicious and affordable. There are many comfortable places across campus for students to lounge while waiting for a class, to socialize with friends, or find a private area for studying. There are many activities, sports, and clubs for students (the school really wants to see students get involved with their college). And the school is physically accessible for students who may have disabilities or a disadvantage. ICC also reaches out to a wide demographic of students, including those internationally. This to me is a very cool experience, because I don’t have opportunities to travel, but they do. Some friends I’ve made include girls from Africa, or brothers from Brazil. I get to hear about their stories traveling internationally, and what it’s like being in our country and at our school, which I’ve always received, and heard, positive reports. They also bring with them stories and examples of their cultures, language, and customs which they share with us. I’m in my third and final year upon returning to the campus, as a non-traditional student working to pay for college expenses (financial aid has helped tremendously). I’ve had to utilize ICC's weekend, online, and even night courses at times just so I could work in the day and make enough money to afford my apartment. That was tough, but well worth it, and I can’t name any time when ICC was ever a hinderance for me. In my last year, I was even offered and accepted into a student graphic designer position within the school, which will look great on a resume and transcript. I’m excited to move on to the next school for my Bachelor’s degree, and owing much to ICC for making my transition secure and easy. Much of my appreciation and success is due to the high confidence our instructors have for their students, in particular, my instructor in the graphic design department. He has made sure we know that information concerning our career field, the transfer process, all of it, is accessible through him or the school whenever we need it. I’ve learned a lot about my career choice, college selection, and the transfer process in our field just by meetings with and obtaining research advice from him, and feel more secure about my future than I had before. Many four-year colleges I’ve met with recently, have said our students are always well prepared when we move on to their schools. Visiting ICC Alumni say that we are very lucky for what ICC has to offer us compared to other colleges they’ve been to see. All of this makes Illinois Central College a great college for students who start out, or need to return to college after high school (like me) because there, you are secure, confident, and welcomed.

Nursing
Scholarship

Illinois central college is one of the best nursing colleges in Illinois state with good academic foundations.

Scholarship

Andrew

ICC is very good at basing their courses off of what carreer you are looking to persue

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high shcool senior, I think the best advice I would have for myself would be to do what makes you happy, and what is going to/ will bring you the most joy. I would tell myself that basing your happiness off of what others think or say or even what they want you to do is no way to live your life. Sure you may make some people unhappy along the way because they don't agree completely with your deciesions but thats ok. I would say to do what you know or think is the best for you and what is going to benifit you the most in the long run. To go back in time and speak with high school me, those are the words of advice I would give myself.

ICC is a very good college to start at, whether it is just to get a 2 year degree or if you are looking to transfer after. The staff is very helpful and wants to see you succeed. They will make themselves available to help accomidate your needs.

Andrew

I believe that my school is best know for being a starting school. A school where you can attend to get your gen ed classes out of the way before transfering to a 4 year college. Yet at the same time they have very flexible schedules to help fit students needs.

If I could go back in time and talk with my high school self, knowing what I know now, I would tell myself not to take the easy way out. I would tell me that just because things seem like they may be difficult or scary, that those feelings should not allow you to change your opinion on what you want to do or where you want to go. Things will be changing over the next few years and that's okay. You may think you know what you want to do now, but in a few weeks, months, years, that all could change. Don't allow yourself to miss out on some great experiences just because you feel like it will be to hard or scary. I would tell myself to grab life by the horns and hang on for the ride. Its going to be a wild one filled with lots of ups and downs, but in the end if you follow your heart and dreams it will be worth it in the end.

Personally I believe that the worst part about this school is the size and the lack of getting to know people on campus. Some people tend to keep to themselves more not really branching out to meet people. You may chat with them in class but that about it. They become your "school" friends, but thats about it.

MaryAnna

Illinois Central College is a local upper-education instution dedicated to helping people take classes in order to aid them in attending a more prestigious instution with the credits of the general education classes transferrable or aiding the students to become more adept in their career endeavors.

Relax. Don't put so much pressure on yourself. Apply and look into scholarships now. It is so much less stressful to get every college preparation done as soon as possible. When the homework comes, just pace it out and keep a daily planner to help with time management. In fact, really focus on time management this school year. It may sound surprising, but time management is one of the most important aspects to success. Work to achieve the best, not perfection as it is unattainable for all. All anyone expects is the best work possible and they will be proud as long as the proper amount of effort is given. Failure will come; do not let it lead to discouragement. As Thomas Edison said after creating the lightbulb, "I have not failed. I have just found 1,000 ways that do not work."

A person lacking desire to further his/her education or uncapable of handling the transition from high school or, in a non-traditional student's case, no school should not attend Illinois Central College.

Danielle

For being a community college, Illinois Central College provides the upmost care and dedication for their students so that they are well preapred for their vocations.

My classmates were outgoing, reliable, helpful and above all, empathathetic towards each other.

Dani, As you approach college, I have a few suggestions. First, change your attitude on learning. Gaining an education should not be considered a chore, but a gift. The World’s knowledge is at your finger tips. You will discover what a beautiful place the world is. It is exciting to look into the unknown and know that you can be a voice for the future. Second, suppress your ego. I do not expect you to give up in striving for excellence, yet concentrate on where you focus your goals. Do some soul searching and discover what make you “tick”. Trying to fit in will make you “cool”, but being around people who don’t understand you can make you feel alone. In searching for yourself, be you and do what makes you feel fulfilled. You will find what values you hold dear and will defend. It will give your life a sense of purpose and meaning. Remember the card you carry. “Your presence is a present to the world.” Make sure you have a voice, and that it is heard. What you do may greatly impact a better tomorrow. What you do for others is never wasted.

Illinois Central College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.