East Peoria, IL
Illinois Central College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois Central College

Here is what I would tell myself as a high school senior: "When you are in college, you are going to have more freedom, compared to your time in high school. However, that freedom requires responsibility. You must not abuse it, or you will regret your decisions as you are struggling to finish your work the day before it is due. Procrastination will be your kryptonite, because even if you finish all of your work, you will only be putting unnecessary pressure on yourself. Also, asking for help does not make you dependent. Try not to worry or struggle for perfection; you are doing this to discover and become who you want to be, not to please others."

A friendly person who is willing to learn as much as they can and try their best should attend this school.

Someone who does not care for education should not attend this school.

I would say that Illinois Central College is best known for its health-related technician degrees. Many students start at ICC who want to go into some sort of medical field.

During their senior year of high school, many students don't realize what the coming year is going to bring. For some students, they will finally be done with school and will just work for the rest of their lives. However, a majority of people will decide to go to college. High school seniors often visit many universities to try to get a feel for where they would like to go, but a visit in itself is not enough preparation. If I could go back and talk to myself when I was a senior, I would have told myself to try harder for scholarships, and not just go with the cheapest school. I would have also told myself to prepare for being away from my closest friends and family, because it is a lot harder than you think. I would have prepared myself to let go of some old things, and make new friends and hobbies. The last thing I would have told myself is that college is not what I think will be, so be ready to adjust, work hard, show responsibility, and have fun.

The type of person that should attend Illinois Central College should be someone who wants to save money, wants to continue living at home, and who doesn't mind not having a traditional college experience.

Joshua

ICC is best known for its tuition costs. But after talking with other colleges, ICC actually has a very good Engineering program. Other colleges like how the math and physics are taught here.

I came from a private school with only 60 people in my graduating class. I would tell myself to get involved in school activities. Just showing up for class and then going home was not very rewarding or fun for that matter. I didn't make many friends or know about what was happening at all other than events in my own little bubble. My second year i got into the Quest Program and AMESS. Quest let me meet people that were in other majors than my own. That allowed me to find study groups, making my classes seem easier. Everyone talks about the college experience, and I only looked at it as getting an education and continuing on with my carrier. But know I see what they were talking about. Meeting new people and geting allow with them is just as important as anything that you would learn in the classroom, because I will have to do that for the rest of my life too.

ICC is a comunity college and many people come here not knowing what they want to do with the rest of there life. ICC provides many survaces and programs to help guide it students to making thier disisions. I like that the best because the advisors help me find which classes i need for my degree and wich ones will transfer to the college that i want to go to.

Jonathan

Don't let someone else plan your life out for you. Research possible career paths, develope a plan, and run with it. A lot of time and energy can be saved by putting effort into your educational goals. Don't just pick a career path for the money, make sure it's something you love to do.

Tonya

They are very nice and helping when need be. I have not had any problems out of any of them. There were a lot classmates I did not have the chance to meet however.

Go straight to college. Do not tale time off. The transition from high school to college would have been so much smoother. Plus save the money you make to buy your books, so that you are not completely scrounging for money when you need to get your books. Lastly, pay loads more attention to what the teachers are saying; it makes sence in the long run.

I wish I had known how much it was not like high school and how much more studying/reading was going to be involved. It would have been helpful to realize that I could not just half way do something. That alone set me back.

Adam

Illinois Central College gives me the opportunity to begin my undergraduate studies at less than half the cost of four-year universities. Since I am responsible for the majority of the cost of my education, ICC is the perfect fit for me. Its convenient campus and small class sizes maximize my potential for academic success. Also, there is an organization on campus whose sole purpose is to help students transfer smoothly to four-year universities. In addition, ICC is close to my home, so I do not have to pay for room and board.

My adjustment to college was harsh at first, and it was mainly because of my underdeveloped time management skills. If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would coach myself through how to wisely budget my time between my schoolwork, my family, my job, and my future planning. I would also advise myself that not everyone in college thinks the same way I do. One adjustment I had to make to how I viewed my peers was that every single person on campus has a different worldview. I would tell myself that if I respect everyone for their worldview, I will receive respect in return. In terms of my schoolwork, I would tell myself that since I have already made a financial investment in my education, I should invest my best efforts in my work, and I will get out of a class what I put into it. Finally, I would tell myself to not attend classes for the sole purpose of getting a grade, but to gain application-based knowledge from my classes that I can use in my future endeavors. This is what I would tell myself as a high school senior.

Kara

First, I would have taken the ACT test. I was homeschooled the last two years of high school and did not realize the importance of taking this test. Second, I would have taken some college classes while attending high school. Thirdly, I would have done more research into the different fields of study offered. I knew I wanted to work in the health field, but I had not studied the different choices that were offered and the actual work that was a part of each field. These things would have allowed me to enter the program that I want to join sooner than I will be able to now.

The only type of person that I feel should not attend this school would be the person who isn't serious about their education. In my opinion, that is the only person who wouldn't benefit by attending this school. Several classes are transferable for students who want to go on to a four school. The quality of education is great.

The class rooms are easy to find and the website is very user friendly. They have several help labs.

Cindy

First of all, don't take more than 1 year off from school. The classes you excelled in while attending high school, will be pretty easy in college if you start right away. If you had particular trouble with a class, i.e. algebra, go ahead and swallow your pride and take the elementary level algebra and work your way up. Get a feel for the teachers before you sign up for a class, either by word of mouth, or communicating directly with the teacher. Go to your teacher when you are having trouble in your studies.

ICC is ideal students looking to take the general required courses before transferring to a 4-year university. It is an excellent school for careers that only need an Associates degree. The college is a nice setting for nontraditional students as well. If you are not into hanging out with big groups and like to spend more time on your studies, then ICC is for you. They even offer daycare for parents attending the college.

Students who are unable to give respect to their teachers, or students expecting their teachers to mother them like they often did in high school, should not attend ICC. Illinois Central College is not for those who want to "party hardy" or get involved in gang-type activity. It is not the ideal college for living on campus unless this is your only means to attending. It is limited in certain fields of study as well, some things just are not offered at ICC.

Becca

Take some time out to find yourself. Don't rush into college, you have plenty of time. And if you still want to jump into college life, move into the dorms, get a part time job, and don't let your mother talk you into taking six or seven classes a semester. Take your time. Everything will work out in the end. I promise.

My Horticulture teacher. He couldn't teach if he tried.

It is a very diverse group of people that attend and is a cheap way to get an associates/transfer degree before going to a 4 year school.

I would give myself the advice to go to the school you want to go to no matter what money situation it is because you may not have that experience later in life when you get kids, boyfriends/girlfriends, family, husband/wife, anything that might keep you from doing what you want to do in life. I would have loved to attend Concordia Lutheran and should have went with my instincts.

It feels too much like high school and barely a challenge in some classes.

Illinois Central College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.