Jacksonville, IL
Illinois College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois College

timothy

We are know for staying true to ourselves! We are the oldest college in Illinois and we pride on the way we have stayed the same over the nearly 200 years IC has been running. We are know to produce hard working students who are framed on having FAITH, COURAGE, and CLASS!

It is a small school. Everyone knows each other and everyone has so much school pride! Not too many of the other schools can say that students have teachers that will answer every question and meet outside of class to explain homework or just to talk.

I would say that I need to be ready to study! As long as you show up to class and pay attention you will have no problem making grades in college!

Amibeth

One of the reasons that I picked IC was that it was a small school with an atmosphere of closeness. Its a good size school because as you walk from class you say hello to people you know, but it is big enough that you meet someone new everyday. Another great benefit of IC are the professors. The adjustment to college and to college level classes are hard, but the professors do a great job of preparing you and helping you to adjust. As a requirement of the school, every professor has office hours which are specific times in the week, when the professor will be in his or her office waiting for students to come by with questions. Also, most professors will go out of their way to help a student understand a concept, make up missed work, or provide wisdom for impending decisions about the future. What helped me adjust quickly to college was the required First-Year seminar. Every first-year student is required to take one of these classes. The student will be in a class with 15-20 other first-year students and the professor becomes their advisor to help them with the first few semesters or until the students declare a major. A summer reading is required that helps tie all of the seminars together. My first-year seminar was a great introductory class because my professor expected a lot out of us and pushed us to excel, but once the class was over we knew what we could do, and nothing after that seems too daunting. Because of this I know that I can succeed in whatever I put effort in. The closeness of the professors also leads to many open opportunities to be involved in activities that would not be open to first-year students or even undergraduate students. At IC I have been able to try different activities such as going to Berlin over spring break and Michigan over fall break, all through classes.

The school may look small at first, but once you really get to know the campus, you find all sorts of things you never knew about before. There is enough space on campus that you can study in a different location each night during the week.

What are your classes like?

Some students may find one-on-one interaction with a professor intimidating, and it can be, but the professors at Illinois College really know what they are talking about, have a passion for what they are doing, and strive to see that their students understand the material. You as a student, however, are responsible for your own homework, staying on top of the work, and making an effort to get help when you know things aren't going well. The class load varies from class to class. Some classes are writing or reading intense, while others don't have any "assigned homework." But, if you keep up with the material, come to class prepared, and work hard, there is no reason for the professor to not love you. As for class sizes, the largest class we have at IC is with about 80 students max and those classes are the introduction classes (like Biology, Chemistry, and Sociology). Despite being in a lecture hall with 79 other students, you spend one day a week with 20 other students in lab, getting to know a small portion of your class and your professor. The other classes at IC range from 20 students to 1. It is not uncommon to have only a couple other students in a class, especially in the upper level classes. This allows for a more intimate learning experience where the professor can specialize the class to fit your needs.

Considering that we have about 150 guys on the football team, that is what I would consider the most popular organization, but there are plenty of other organizations on campus. There are over 70 different clubs on campus, all varying in their time commitment. If you are looking for a group to invest a lot of time an effort, there are clubs like Student Activity Board (which plans all of the events on campus) or writing for the school newspaper, the Rambler. Or you could be involved in clubs that meet only once a week or twice a week and maybe have one or two events each semester. One of the nice things about IC is that there are enough events going on that do not requiring drinking as an activity. SAB provides entertainment most weekends, so that students don't have to drink. Also, it is easy to find a group of friends who also don't drink and have movie parties with them on the weekends. Sometimes we will take road trips to Springfield, which is about 20 minutes away, to go to the mall or go out to eat at different restaurants. Jacksonville has about every fast-food restaurant imaginable, which are fun places to go at 2 am, but Springfield has options for different food options. The town of Jacksonville, although small, also provides some entertainment on weekends. There is a bowling ally, two movie theaters, great Mom and Pop restaurants and fun communal activities.

Every school seems to have their nerds, jocks, beauty queens, and farmer boys. At IC we have them all. A majority of the students come from small towns with lower socio-economics, however there is a fair amount of diversity on campus. A majority of students work on campus, some because they need to, but most because the extra cash is a comfort for a college student. Another thing about IC, is that a majority of the students are student athletes. So, when the sports are in season, the teams spend most of the time together. Other than that, there are no real prevalent discrepancies among students or prejudices based on social class, political standings, racial, or religious reasons.

Being a liberal arts college, students are required to take several classes outside of you major. This is to help broaden your understanding and learning capacity. Some students take these classes as blow off classes, but your effort in the class reflects in your grade. The professor make the classes so that if you stay on top of your work and put an effort into learning the material, you will do fine in the class. IC does not have any "weeding out classes." The introduction classes to Biology or Chemistry are the larges classes, with a maximum of 80 students, however the classes meet once a week for a lab time and the maximum for a lab is 20 students. So, even in these classes the professors make an effort to get to know the students on a personal and academic level. Another great benefit of being a liberal arts college is that it forces you to expand your knowledge. One of the requirements is two semesters of a language. I started taking beginners German, never learning anything beforehand and now am majoring in German. This happens more often then most people think. So, if you are not sure what you want to study, come with an appetite for learning and an effort to apply yourself and IC will follow through with an abundance of knowledge.

Being at a small school in what could be considered rural Illinois, it may come off at first that all of the students at Illinois College are from a farming community. Surprisingly, this is not the case. We have a large percentage of students who come from big cities such as St. Louis or Chicago. We also have a diversity of students from out west in Nevada, Washington, California all the way to Vietnam, Japan, and Russia. So despite being located in a small town, there are plenty of activities to keep students entertain on and off campus. Since there are so many student that live out of state or far from home, we are not a "suitcase college," where students commute home every weekend. There are usually events going on every weekend. So if you are worried about going to a small town and a small school, don't worry, because not everyone knows how to drive a combine.

Alyson

My overall opinion of Illinois College is that I would not trade it for any other school. Since the first time I stepped on the campus for an open house, I have constantly been amazed at the amount of camaraderie that is found on campus. The students, faculty, and staff truly care about each other. I believe this stems from the relatively small size of the college. Illinois College has roughly 1,000 students, which may seem too small to some people, but once on the campus, it is easy to realize that it is the perfect size. At Illinois College, students are known on a first name basis with their professors; we are not a huge university where students are known as numbers. Students at IC form personal relationships with almost everyone they meet. Although we lack the high profile sports events that are found at universities, are campus still has a lot of pride in the athletes that represent Illinois College. Overall, students do not come here to play sports; they come here to get an outstanding education and the sports are just a part of that journey. The campus truly is the perfect environment for successful learning.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

I will never forget the day I was wearing my new pink boots that I had received as a Christmas present. I was completely caught off guard when I heard someone say "Those are some nice looking boots Alyson." I turned around to see that President Axel Steuer was the one commenting on my boots. This is one of the many unique things that comes with being at a small school. Not only do you have interaction with everyone (including the president), but they are also very friendly. That day was definitely a reassuring day as to why I chose a small school, but more importantly why I chose Illinois College.

What are your classes like?

The classes at Illinois College are really a unique experience. The normal class size is 18-20 students. This allows you to have the one on one time with your professors, which is crucial to success. The professors get to know you as a person, and you are known by your name, not a number as it would be at much larger schools.

There are many popular student groups on campus such as Alpha Phi Omega, Up til Dawn, Circle K International, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and Brother and Sisters in Christ, just to name a few. This is something I love about Illinois College, There are so many ways to get involved that students do not sit around wondering what they should do. Instead, students often find themselves asking how much can I be involved with. I am constantly asking myself this question because I am already involved in a lot, yet there is so much more that I would like to be involved with. At Illinois College, you are sure to find your "home."

Students at Illinois College come from a broad range of backgrounds. We have students from all over the country as well as many students from other countries. On campus, we have over 70 clubs and organizations that cover just about everything. However, if you can not seem to find what you are looking for, simply go to the Center for Student Involvement and start your own club. In these clubs, students cover and bring awareness to issues such as LGBT rights, religious differences, political debates, sexual assault awareness, and much, much more.

Academics at Illinois College are very personal. Professors know you by your name rather than a number in the grade book. Classes average 18-20 students with a few beginning lecture classes topping off at 75 students. That is the biggest any class on campus will be. In fact, many classes fall below the average size which allows for more one on one time with the professor. With such small classes, majority of the classes are discussion based. It is not very often that a professor just lectures the entire class. Instead, the professors want to get the students involved in the class. One thing I really love about Illinois College is the general education requirements. While some students see this as a hassle and a waste of time, it has really helped me find my way toward the right major. The general education requirements require you to take at least one class in each field of study. This is beneficial for those students who still do not really know what they want to study in college. This way, you get a basic knowledge for the different fields and can hopefully have a better understanding of what will suit you best.

I think sometimes Illinois College may get stereotyped as a rich person school simply because it is a private college. However, the college does an outstanding job giving out scholarships and financial aid. I would venture to guess that not a single student at Illinois College is paying the sticker price that is advertised. Therefore, this stereotype is not accurate. Illinois College is home to many students from many different backgrounds and financial standings; it is by no means a rich person school.

Claire

Illinois College is a small school that has a feeling of being at home. Many of the students would say that the best thing about IC is that it is like one big family, I would definiently have to agree with that statement. This is my 4th year at IC and I have always felt like there were people on campus to support me in anything I was doing. From the professors in the classroom to the other students in your dorms and classes you will always have someone you know around. The fact that we are a small school allows us to have connections with almost everyone on campus. Another great thing about school is that you can be involved in many different organizations. Since there are only about 1,000 students at the school they need students to be involved in many different activities. You are able to be involved as a basic member or even on take on leadership roles in any of the 80+ activities that IC has to offer. Overall IC is a great small school that helps to get you connected inside and outside the classroom.

Tell us about your professors.

Our professors are great! They are there for you whenever you need them. They will be there for you if you need help with anything with school. They become a support system here on campus for you. Many of my professors give me their cell phone numbers and I know I can call them whenever I need them about anything school or life related.

There is not one type of student that goes to Illinois College. There are a wide range of students here. There are students from small towns, students who grew up on farms, Then there are students who grew up in big cities, or even other countries. We have a diverse campus with students from all over the world. We are a small college but there is a lot of diversity here and you can meet so many different and new people.

There are over 80 different organization groups to pick from on campus. This means that almost every single weekend there is something to do on or off campus. There are many different trips and activities that groups plan off campus. Yet, there are even more planned right on campus that are free to students. I have enjoyed different activities such as capture the flag on the quad all the way to an awesome mime performance in the theater. Something unique to IC is a tradition of Literary Societies, who put on literary productions through out the year. Whatever you are interested in there is a group for you, and if there isn't IC encourages starting new student groups all the time.

Since Illinois College is a small school the teacher to student ratio is also small. Every single one of my teachers has known my name either before I walked into the classroom or within the first week of school. The professors are there to help support you in your learning, not to make you feel inadequate in the classroom. My professors have office hours and love to have students come and talk about whats going on in the class or even their lives. I have went to my professors offices many times to discuss things about whats going on in my life or what I wanted to be doing after I graduate from Illinois College. Overall the classes are small, with maybe up to 30 students on average in a class, with professors who care an want to see you succeed.

Katie

I absolutely love the size of IC. I went into my college search looking for a smaller school, and fell in love with IC. It's easy to talk to your professors one on one and the class sizes are perfect. The one thing I would change would be the food. I understand it isn't cheap feeding an entire campus of students, but I feel like the food could be much better. I also wish there was a Pep Band at sporting events and more of an organized student section. Jacksonville is also a great town and there is enough to do without it being too big.

What are your classes like?

So far in my first semester of college, my classes have been pretty easy. There is a transition coming to college on the amount of study time, but thankfully I have not had too many problems adjusting. I know as I progress, things will be more difficult though.

My first piece of advice is LEAVE YOUR DOOR OPEN WHEN YOU'RE IN YOUR ROOM! I know a lot of my friends say that no one leaves their door open and it's so quiet on their floor and doesn't feel very inviting. Obviously if you're studying really hard or just want a little bit of quiet time, close your door, but otherwise, be inviting! I am in FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes), and I love it. I would highly recommend joining that. Also, try to get an on-campus job. It's great experience to have a job anyway, but to have one on campus is a plus. I am also playing softball, and already the oder girls are so sweet and inviting, and I feel like we're a family already. If you're unsure about playing a sport, try it! I met a lot of my close friends either through sports or just trying to be social on my floor. I also met one of my closest friends at Orientation before school even started, so even if you're shy like I am, try to be outgoing because everyone is in your position.

I feel like there are a lot of different kinds of people on campus. There are students from Africa, Asia and other continents/countries. There are jocks, nerds, hard-core, and normal students, and I feel like everyone gets along, and no one is judgmental. In high school, people are really harsh and mean to people who aren't "like them". In college, no one cares about that. Everyone is nice to everyone. I love it!

I feel like all of the professors want to do their best at trying to know all of their students on a personal level. My favorite professor and class so far is my first year seminar Women of the American West with Jenny Barker-Devine. She is a wonderful professor, and really loves getting to know her students. I have her as a friend on Facebook! We have taken a few fieldtrips, and I feel like she really wants us to get hands-on experiences. Class participation seems very common at IC. The education department is very well known, and a lot of companies are willing to hire someone majoring in education at IC. It is a very rigorous schedule, but well worth it in the end.

I think some prospective students are skeptical about coming to IC because there are no frats or sororities. Even though the Lit Societies aren't "greek life", some of them still have the feel of a frat or sorority.

David

IC is small, but I love it here! Here, the professors and staff members know me by name. They also know what I hope to accomplish while I'm here, and what my future plans are. Everyone here is very supportive of each student. I love having a small class size, most of classes have about 20-25 students in it. Campus really comes alive when there is a game. Everyone is wearing there IC gear and heading out to the game to have a good time.

Some of the most popular groups to join have been Literary Societies (our Greek organizations), Alpha Phi Omega (Co-ed service fraternity), and Homecoming Committee. Athletics are also big here. You can do varsity or Intramural Sports. I play on intramural volleyball and basketball teams. I am a member of the Peer Health Educators here at IC. We present entertaining programs and activities to educate the campus on how to be safe and healthy. We have presented many different programs including Beer Goggle Golf Carts and Think B4 You Act. Think B4 You Act was awarded Outstanding Freshman Orientation Program by the BACCHUS Network at the 2010 BACCHUS General Assembly. On the weekends a lot of students go to events planned by the Student Activities Board, or take part in other activities sponsored by other groups. These are free and are alcohol free. Most of us take random trips to Wal-mart or go out to eat on the weekends or just hang out in our rooms.

Most students here interact with each other a lot, but at other times it seems the same groups (certain academic departments, student groups, etc.) interact only with each other, but those times only happen every so often. Everyone seems really friendly. It's not uncommon to see a pick up game of basketball let anyone who wants to play join the game, no matter how big the game is. I feel there is something for everyone at IC. You can meet people with different interests through different student groups. Every group I've been a part of enjoys having new members and helps to explore their strengths.

The professors make a great effort to know your name by the third week of class. It's really nice because they can call on anyone and start a discussion. Most students spend a lot of time studying. Some weeks you have a few tests, so you spend more time that week studying and doing homework. The next week you may only have a quiz or two and a paper, so you may have a little more free time. Most students will have about four classes and usually study for an hour or two each night for the class. Students can be competitive here, but are always willing to help each other study. The professors are very understanding. Some will give paper extensions if you have a reasonable excuse to why you need more time. Most will also let you make up a quiz if you are sick. At IC, we have free tutoring in most subjects. They harder you work, the better you do.

I don't feel that the students at IC have a stereotype. There is a great mix of students here and I don't feel that there is just one kind of student.

Amy

Out of all the schools I had the pleasure of visiting, Illinois College was the only place I felt 100% welcome! This place provides the type of atmosphere where you can't help but feel wanted! It's a small school, so everyone has the oppertunity to connect to those around them! Both the staff and the students are so friendly. I remember the first time I visited this campus - I didn't walk by one person who didn't smile at me or ask how my day was! It's a place you can call home and be proud to brag about!

There are so many activites on campus - and trust me when I say this - but if you can't find the one you want, create it yourself. Many people are sure to follow you and join in. From all the organications to clubs to intramural sports teams, your'e sure to find the right activity for you. When it comes to dorm life, almost everyone is sure to leave their door open. This allows you to meet so many people and make so many friends. We so not have any fraternities/sororities but we do have literary societies which are similar but more geared toward making the right decisions. You can always find something to do here. Life at Illinois College is amazing.

The students at Illinois College are incredible. There are so many oppertunites to get to know those around you. Through clubs and organizations, you meet so many people and make life long friends. There is no judgement when it comes to race, sex, religion, or politics. Everyone here is united and willing to get to know you before jumping to conclusions. The students here leave such an amazing impression on you. You're sure to make great friends.

Being a small school, you have the oppertunity to get to know your classmates and as well as your professors getting to you! You begin to look up to those around you, and learn to trust in one another. Illinois College is a liberal arts so which means you have an oppertunity to take a wide range of classes and experience something you may not have had the chance to otherwise. I plan on majoring in elementary education and one thing I love the most about Illinois College is that you get to dive right in your freshman year. You're able to go out into the schools and tutor those kids who need a little extra oomph! One on one attention helps drastically when a child is struggling. The requirements at Illinois College aren't impossible by any means. They just allow to become fully qualified in the area you plan on majoring in. The education at IC is one you will forever be grateful towards.

When I hear the word steroetype, I immediatly think of lables and labeling "our family" here is wrong! We are united! Yes, many of us have our own group of friends, but Illinois College provides the type of atmosphere where you feel connected to everyone around you!

Joshua

The professors at IC are extremely approachable and available to students. They have reasonable expectations for their students and push them to set and exceed goals. Most professors classes revolve around student participation and reflection, and the educational experience is definitely geared towards learning how to apply classroom topics to real world problems or goals. It is common to see professors on campus and in the community, and most professors will recognize students for the remainder of their college career.

I would not say that any particular activity at IC is more popular than another. With 70 different student organizations, there is really something for everyone. It is very easy to become involved in activities on campus, and these activities play a large put in determining a student's college experience on IC's campus.

Oftentimes IC students are stereotyped to be from tiny, farm towns from throughout Central Iliinois. However, this is not the case. Many students come from throughout the United States, and IC has a very strong influx of international students. In all reality, the atmosphere at IC is quite diverse.

Ross
What's the Greek scene like?

What's the Greek scene like?

I think it's a bunch of bologna. We have Literary Societies, which are supposed to be community service-based, but that doesn't always happen.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

There are always study sessions going on in Parker Science building. The library is quiet and open late as well as several other academic buildings.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I chose Illinois College because I loved how beautiful the campus was, how small it was, and how nice everyone I met seemed to be. It was a good fit, coming from a small town.

Tell us about your professors.

They're always there when you need them. If you're willing to work hard, they're willing to help.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Illinois College is a small liberal arts college that will make you think outside of the box, help you meet life-long friends, and challenge you to be the best that you can be, whether it's in the classroom or on the field.

Describe the dorms.

There are a couple different options for the dorms. The freshman type doors are more social, whereas the upperclassmen usually choose the suite-style dorms where they share a bathroom. Either way, our staff keeps them very clean, and they're comfortable.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

I'll never forget during my sophomore year when the campus was shut down for two days due to a blizzard. I had all this free time to catch up on homework, but when I got tired of that, I went and hung out with my friends or went out in the snow.

Describe a typical weekend.

Friday nights are usually party nights off campus. Saturday mornings and afternoons are for studying and sporting events, before hanging out with friends for the evening, only to sleep in on Sunday, study in the afternoon, and start the week all over again.

One of my favorite traditions comes during homecoming week. On the that Friday night, we have a talent show in the chapel called "Follies". The student body is welcome to put on an act. It can be anything from singing and dancing to comedy.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

We are served by Chartwells, which isn't the greatest food. It has improved over the past few years though. We have a cafeteria, a grill, and a coffee shop. The coffee shop is a big hit, because it's open late to serve wraps, cold cut sandwiches, smoothies, and of course, coffee.

Our campus is compact. You can walk it lengthwise in about 5 minutes. Our professors are always nearby and more than willing to help. It has many academic buildings open late for the night owls which is great.

When you step off campus what do you see?

The town of Jacksonville is a bustling place. There are so many options when it comes to dining, whether it be fast food or fine dining. It's got car dealerships, a shopping outlet, and a Wal-Mart. Need I say more?

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Illinois College has 20 intercollegiate sports teams and many inter murals as well, such as badminton, volleyball, flag football, and basketball. I am on the college's football and swim teams. The cool thing about a small school is that you're not tied down to one thing. Everyone has the opportunity to do just about everything.

Illinois College's campus is beautiful, with brick buildings and amazing landscaping. We have an impressive sports complex and when you walk by someone, just about everyone will smile or say hi. It's a place filled with friendly people who all share a common view and goal.

What are your classes like?

Classes can be challenging, no matter the subject area, but they all make you a better person. You learn new perspectives, techniques, and mannerisms that will aid you in life in general. Even my general education courses were beneficial.

A very large percentage of our student body are athletes. Our football and baseball teams are most popular, followed by soccer and track and field. I play football and swim. I am also in three choirs on campus, which are popular on the extracurricular spectrum as well. In most of the freshmen dorms, your door is open if you're there, and rarely locked. That's where life-long friends are made. You'll eat together, hang out together, whatever. Weekends are good for spending time together watching movies and staying up late for no reason at all.

From my perspective, the student organizations on campus can come off as being somewhat aggressive, such as the Coalition for Ethnic Awareness and SAGE (Straights and Gays for Equality). Many students come to class in comfy attire, like shorts, sweats, and t-shirts. No matter how rich or poor your family is, the college takes a blow on your tuition every year to make it affordable.

All of my professors know my name, what I do on campus, and where I want to go after college. They show up to my concerts, sporting events, and other functions. My favorite class thus far has been mass communication, because it has showed me how much the media affects our daily lives. Music theory and music history are a pain in the butt. Class participation is in fact part of my grade in most courses. The professors want to make sure that you are engaged and understanding the material being presented because it is relevant. I have had many deep conversations about class materials over lunch or during a passing period. Students are extremely competitive, especially when trying to get into prestigious classes and internships. Education at Illinois College will indeed prepare you for the workplace, but it will also aid you in finding the person you want to be.

Christopher

Scholarships. Seek and apply now. Do not think that they are not out there. I have lost thousands of potential dollars by being unaware of Eagle Scout scholarships. Those are valuable, and along with others, will not be available beyond your first year. Many are easy, just filling out basic information and writing essays. Do them. Majors. Wait to declare. Do not be like others going in with one decided major only to choose differently later. Such students often result with classes not applying towards the new major. Wait until you are absolutely sure what you want to do. It is worth it. Extracurriculars. Join groups. They are a great way to meet people. Sigma Pi is the literary society to choose, but go to more “smokers” so you know more of the actives and brothers during the pledging process. Also, do sports. Cross Country and Track are fantastic at Illinois College. Lastly, I am glad I was recognized for six years of community service by our mayor, earned my Eagle Scout, participated in church groups, and worked for good grades. It is all worth it when you get here. It is the character you and your future stands on.

Okay - most popular survey results: cuisine complaints. The food provided by Chartwells Dining Service is often less than satisfactory. It seems overcooked and sits rather heavily in ones stomach. The food simply does not taste exceptionally good. Fortunately, the coffee shop on campus provides better food (perhaps because it provides sandwiches that need no cooking). Coffee shop cuisine is available throughout the day, although it lacks variety. Still, it is usually a better option as one does not feel lousy after eating it. If only the food in the cafeteria were as welcoming as the staff working inside.

I brag about a couple of things. The history professors are fantastic at Illinois College, as is Biology professor Dr. Lawrence Zetler. Dr. Zetler wanted me to take up Biology, as he thought I had a knack for it; I had to decide against it as micro-biology and chemistry have always been poor subjects for me. Also, we have a phenomenal fitness center in Bruner, with a outstanding weight room and a superb indoor track (which, being in track, I truly appreciate) as well as many other nice features

Illinois College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.