Jacksonville, IL
Illinois College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois College

Illinois College is a small, friendly campus, where the professors and staff really care about your success.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself about college life, I would advice myself to try my hardest and stay calm. In college the only thing you can do is try your best. If you need academic help you should get it through the available tutoring services because everyone including yourself wants you to succeed. I would also tell myself not to get too stressed about the little things. You have to stay calm, and take what comes to you with patience. Nothing is given to you that you cannot handle; it may be difficult at times, but keep trying and you will be successful. The last piece of advice I would give myself is to value friendships. Since your family is not there with you, you have to lean on friends and keep them close. Be the best friend you can and you will get support and love in return. Friends are your family when you are at school.

The availabilty of the professors and the small class sizes.

Devin

The first thing that i would tell myelf is to create good study habits, because in college the studying is a vital part to your success. Also, i would definitely advise myself to work on time management. Time management is something that has to be dealt with every single day, and it is essential that your time is managed well. The last thing that i would advise myself to do is to develop better critical thinking and listening skills. These skills are needed while in class, and are also needed outside of class when doing your homework or writing a paper. There are lots of papers in college, and being able to think to get through them makes it a whole lot easier to accomplish.

The food here sometimes gets rather old, and the work is very difficult.

Not too much is really frustrating, but one thing is the food here.

Corey

If I could go back in time before college and talk to myself as a high school senior there are a couple things that I would tell myself. First, I would tell myself to make sure I study for tests a little each night starting at least a week before the test. College isn't like high school and you can't cram the night before and still expect to get an A. I would also tell myself to make sure you get out and meet people the first week that your at college cause if you wait to long everyone has already formed groups and it is harder to find friends.

I think the best thing about my school is the small classes. It gives students more time with the teacher and makes it feel more personal.

I think that the most frustrating part of school is trying to balance studying, athletics, and a social life while also trying to get enough sleep.

Hailie

It's difficult to describe the wide variety of people at Illinois College, but some of the common characteristics of IC students include their generosity, friendliness, and a strong focus on their passions.

Teaching is a very popular major for students at Illinois College, ranging from pre-elementary to secondary education. Science majors, including engineering, chemistry, biochemistry, and biology, include a wide portion of the student body. Outside of school, students are actively involved in many activities like sports, political groups, and clubs that relate to majors. There seems to always be something entertaining going on around campus!

I would tell myself to relax, and look forward to the first few weeks--they really fly by! I was really nervous about having a randomly-selected roommate, but we ended up having a lot of things in common, and when it came to some of our differences, we've been flexible about letting each other be seperate people. I've also realized that college offers more freedom socially than high school. When I was younger, I was really shy in school, but lately, I have felt more free to express myself. I think that before college started, I was very apprehensive about all the changes in my life that would happen, but now I realize that these changes and how I've reacted to them have been an important part of who I am. I hope that in the future, I can use this knowledge to relax and look forward to changes in my life. Because after all, I know what it's like to be the nervous freshman, but I also know what it takes to become a confident upperclassman.

Alexander

One thing that makes us unique compared to other schools that I considered was that the biology department has an Octopus Lab, making study of octopuses and other ocean life accessible to students in the middle of corn fields in Central Illinois.

If I were able to go back in time to my senior year in high school, there are a few things that I would tell myself to do to better prepare for college living. The first thing that I would say to myself is to be more on top of my homework. I feel that while academically I was very well prepared for the first semester, but I struggled to keep myself on top of my homework. That brings me to the second thing I would tell myself, to be more organized. I was a very unorganized student in high school, and making the transition from being unorganized to organized at the same time as adjusting to college living was difficult. I feel like if I had been more organized, I would have been more on top of my homework, and as a result gotten better grades. Those two things would be the most important things I would tell myself if I could go back and counsel my senior self.

Illinois College has a small campus, and this allows for maximum interaction between students in every class, and between classes also. It also allows very close relationships with professors, making it really easy to communicate and learn when struggling with certain topics. It is small, but not so small that there is no one new to meet walking around, there are always new people to see and meet, and more friends to make.

Illinois College is a beautiful college with wonderful professors, advisors, and friends.

Make sure to do research on possible majors and what classes are offered under that major at schools you're looking at. Be fexible, yet decisive. It is okay to change your mind and major, but when it's time to be serious, do just that. Focus on schoolwork at least half as much as social life. They say that for every hour spent in class, two hours should be spent studying, BUT it'sokay to spend less time as long as you allow more time when needed. Figure out your study habits early! You write best under pressure, but be sure to get all other schoolwork done before the paper has to be written. Lastly, this isn't high school. It's okay to be 100% yourself. People will like you for who you are. Stand up for what you believe in or you'll fall for anything.

I wish I knew what "liberal arts college" meant.

Darren

Hey, Darren, I want to congratulate you on taking advantage of so much that your high school has to offer you: - Taking all of the honors/advanced classes that were offered; - Playing competitively in three different varsity sports; - Making wise choices in your electives; - Volunteering in causes that you believe in; - Establishing great friendships. Now, I'd like for you to stretch just a little more and consider taking on leadership roles like Student Government, a class office, or president of one of your many organizations or clubs. Leadership roles in high school will improve your communication skills (oral and written) and develop listening, delegation, time-management, organizational, and human relations skills. I've been reading several professional publications recently and a common thread is regret at not having taken advantage of the opportunity to develop leadership skills initially in high school and then further refining them in college. Professionals feel that a lack of skills in these areas have negatively impacted both their job satisfaction and success. Keep up the great work, Darren! You are going to be very proud of your efforts in high school! And, please consider taking charge in an organization that you feel strongly about.

It's size that counts! Knowing my classmates' first names and the professors knowing my name makes for a very cozy enivronment. Not only do the professors know my name, but there is enough personal interaction between staff and students that I am comfortable to discuss any questions, concerns, and future goals. I like feeling like I'm very much part of the equation.

Location, location, location! When walking to my classes in below-zero weather, snow clinging to my shoes, hands in my pocket, and nose dripping, I dream of transporting my school to a warmer climate. Luckily, the campus is small enough that exposure to the elements is limited to a 5- to 10-minute trek.

I would tell myself that I need to work on organizing my area and time a lot more. Juggling sports and school and a social life is tuff. Knowing when things are do and when I have an event is very important for myself, to maintain all three things in my life.

The best thing would be the availability of the teachers. They will give out their cell phone number if they know that will help us students reach them more easily.

All the extracurricular activites including varsity sports they provide.

Kelly

Illinois college is a great school. All the proferssors really know what they're talking about. Everyone who attends the school is really friendly and are easy to get along with. The surrounding areas is a peaceful one. It is a small town where everything is relatively close. I am looking forward to my next three-and-a-half years at IC.

Don't get discourage about what other poeple say about you. Listen to what people say when they say that it gets better. you'll make new friends and enjoy school even more than you already do. Just bare with the rest of high school life.

i wish that I had known someone else when I forst came to IC.

Christina

The students at Illinois College are very determined to do very well in life and determined to make a great career.

I would tell myself not to worry so much about the little things. College is tough but it makes you stronger and smarter in the end. Take the little chances to have fun in high school because once you get to college there's not much time for fun between studying and classes and work. When packing for dorm life, pack your bags and take only half of the things you think you will need. Dorms are much smaller than you would think. Move in day will be crazy and you will see many unfamiliar faces and a few familiar ones, just know that everyone is in the same boat with moving in and attempting to fit their whole life in a small shared room. When meeting your roommate say hello with a smile and treat her the way you would like to be treated. Last of all, have fun in your last year of high school, you'll never get the chance to go back, and during your first year of college, work hard, have fun, and stay out of trouble. Make the next four years count and have the time of your life.

Illinois College is for students who are looking for a smaller sized college with a personable staff, faculty, and professors. The professors really care about their students and the student's success in the classroom. Illinois College is a place for everyone looking for success and fulfilling career and life.

Illinois College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.