Illinois College Top Questions

Some of the most popular groups to join have been Literary Societies (our Greek organizations), Alpha Phi Omega (Co-ed service fraternity), and Homecoming Committee. Athletics are also big here. You can do varsity or Intramural Sports. I play on intramural volleyball and basketball teams. I am a member of the Peer Health Educators here at IC. We present entertaining programs and activities to educate the campus on how to be safe and healthy. We have presented many different programs including Beer Goggle Golf Carts and Think B4 You Act. Think B4 You Act was awarded Outstanding Freshman Orientation Program by the BACCHUS Network at the 2010 BACCHUS General Assembly. On the weekends a lot of students go to events planned by the Student Activities Board, or take part in other activities sponsored by other groups. These are free and are alcohol free. Most of us take random trips to Wal-mart or go out to eat on the weekends or just hang out in our rooms.

Amibeth

Considering that we have about 150 guys on the football team, that is what I would consider the most popular organization, but there are plenty of other organizations on campus. There are over 70 different clubs on campus, all varying in their time commitment. If you are looking for a group to invest a lot of time an effort, there are clubs like Student Activity Board (which plans all of the events on campus) or writing for the school newspaper, the Rambler. Or you could be involved in clubs that meet only once a week or twice a week and maybe have one or two events each semester. One of the nice things about IC is that there are enough events going on that do not requiring drinking as an activity. SAB provides entertainment most weekends, so that students don't have to drink. Also, it is easy to find a group of friends who also don't drink and have movie parties with them on the weekends. Sometimes we will take road trips to Springfield, which is about 20 minutes away, to go to the mall or go out to eat at different restaurants. Jacksonville has about every fast-food restaurant imaginable, which are fun places to go at 2 am, but Springfield has options for different food options. The town of Jacksonville, although small, also provides some entertainment on weekends. There is a bowling ally, two movie theaters, great Mom and Pop restaurants and fun communal activities.

Amibeth

Amibeth

Alyson

There are many popular student groups on campus such as Alpha Phi Omega, Up til Dawn, Circle K International, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and Brother and Sisters in Christ, just to name a few. This is something I love about Illinois College, There are so many ways to get involved that students do not sit around wondering what they should do. Instead, students often find themselves asking how much can I be involved with. I am constantly asking myself this question because I am already involved in a lot, yet there is so much more that I would like to be involved with. At Illinois College, you are sure to find your "home."

There are so many activites on campus - and trust me when I say this - but if you can't find the one you want, create it yourself. Many people are sure to follow you and join in. From all the organications to clubs to intramural sports teams, your'e sure to find the right activity for you. When it comes to dorm life, almost everyone is sure to leave their door open. This allows you to meet so many people and make so many friends. We so not have any fraternities/sororities but we do have literary societies which are similar but more geared toward making the right decisions. You can always find something to do here. Life at Illinois College is amazing.

My first piece of advice is LEAVE YOUR DOOR OPEN WHEN YOU'RE IN YOUR ROOM! I know a lot of my friends say that no one leaves their door open and it's so quiet on their floor and doesn't feel very inviting. Obviously if you're studying really hard or just want a little bit of quiet time, close your door, but otherwise, be inviting! I am in FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes), and I love it. I would highly recommend joining that. Also, try to get an on-campus job. It's great experience to have a job anyway, but to have one on campus is a plus. I am also playing softball, and already the oder girls are so sweet and inviting, and I feel like we're a family already. If you're unsure about playing a sport, try it! I met a lot of my close friends either through sports or just trying to be social on my floor. I also met one of my closest friends at Orientation before school even started, so even if you're shy like I am, try to be outgoing because everyone is in your position.

I would not say that any particular activity at IC is more popular than another. With 70 different student organizations, there is really something for everyone. It is very easy to become involved in activities on campus, and these activities play a large put in determining a student's college experience on IC's campus.

Ross

A very large percentage of our student body are athletes. Our football and baseball teams are most popular, followed by soccer and track and field. I play football and swim. I am also in three choirs on campus, which are popular on the extracurricular spectrum as well. In most of the freshmen dorms, your door is open if you're there, and rarely locked. That's where life-long friends are made. You'll eat together, hang out together, whatever. Weekends are good for spending time together watching movies and staying up late for no reason at all.

There are over 80 different organization groups to pick from on campus. This means that almost every single weekend there is something to do on or off campus. There are many different trips and activities that groups plan off campus. Yet, there are even more planned right on campus that are free to students. I have enjoyed different activities such as capture the flag on the quad all the way to an awesome mime performance in the theater. Something unique to IC is a tradition of Literary Societies, who put on literary productions through out the year. Whatever you are interested in there is a group for you, and if there isn't IC encourages starting new student groups all the time.