Chicago, IL
Illinois Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois Institute of Technology

Judith

Illinois Institute of Technology is a technical school which means its academics are great but directed most solely at engineering or technical learning. As an architecture major, I have a school that is one of the top in the Midwest for my major. The architecture professors are experienced, have PhDs, and some run and operate their own firms outside of teaching. The major is work intensive and is a constant circulation of work needing to be done but each lesson is not unnecessary. The campus itself is a small one that spans a mere 5 blocks from 31st street to 35th street in downtown Chicago. In terms of location, it's quite simple and easy to navigate. With its proximity to downtown via the Greenline train stop that runs straight through the campus and the waterfront via a 15 minute walk out, it is situated in a great central area. In terms of building and maintenance, it lacks here to say the least. The campus is over 100 years old and in parts of it, it is quite evident. With outdated and old looking buildings, to the lack of elevators in residence halls, all the way to the shabby condition of the bathrooms located in almost all areas on campus, it is clear the school has not invested in its beautification for many long years. The cuisine on campus leaves much to be desired in most cases, but remembering it is cafeteria food, it's to be expected. There are 4 types of meal plans, Hawk 14, Hawk 19, Hawk 50, and Hawk 175. The first (Hawk 14) provides 14 meals for one week, (Hawk 19) provides 19 meals per week, (Hawk 50) provides 50 meals for a semester which is a plan directed more at off residing campus students, and the final plan (Hawk 175) provides 175 meals per semester. With each plan comes 'bonus points' which are an allotted set of dollars only valid on campus at any food locations to purchase, and 'meal exchanges' which can be used at any cafeteria or food location as well. My plan, the Hawk 175, gives me much freedom to eat meals when I would like. My major keeps me very busy most days and nights so the flexibility to use them whenever I please is quite a nice fit. The only downside would be if I was a person who was accustomed to getting breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. It only allows for 11 meals per week if you calculate it, which disagrees with some people for their eating desires. It is a good school academics-wise with professors who are capable and able to help with open door hours and online helping resources. The location of the city makes for ease of access to things to do and entertainment if desired. The food is mediocre but expected with plans that can accommodate for all hunger desires and needs. Overall it's an average school in regards to overall look, but its academics are top notch for engineering and technical majors.

Jakub

The Illinois Institute of Technology is renown for its superb academic opportunities. It is located in Chicago, a big beautiful city with plenty of extracurricular activities to undertake. There is also great diversity at the university, and the students are what makes it special.

Wildaline

This school would benefit immensely from hearing the opinions of its students and making changes based on their concerns. It is a small to medium sized engineering focused university (there are other majors though such as humanities, law, and business) but there have been noticeable changes to make it a not so stressful atmosphere. The classes can be difficult but asking classmates, teaching assistants, or professors for help makes a huge difference. Although our campus is small we are a 10-15 minute train ride to downtown Chicago. There are mixed feelings about this school but it definitely has a unique character you won't find anywhere else.

Thiha

I am a first year student of Illinois Tech, specializing materials science and engineering. I have chosen Illinois Tech to attend since it is highly accredited in academics. Being a private college, tuition fees are quite heavy. Although I have been granted $20,000 per year, the remaining cost is about $40,000 per year, including room and board. However, "Investing in education is investing in future." and so, Illinois Tech is one of my steps for my future.

Jacqueline

Exceptional professors, extremely rigorous programs. This school is an unsung hero of future leaders in tech, science, business, and finance!

Elvis
A university worth to attend

A university worth to attend

Still missing the campus area, every lab I attended, all the professors and classmates I met. All of those are treasured memories.

heather

Very diverse, well respected engineering school

Very diverse, well respected engineering school

Don't waste your time with AP classes, just take the classes you want at community college at night or in the summer. You get more bang for your scholastic buck and you will also gain "college" expereice and learn how to step up the studying. Taking humanity and social science classes at community college also gives you a little more room to be flexible with your college class schedule. The nicest looking dorm is not always the funest dorm. Go ROTC if you need to fund your education.

One interested in a career in engineering. Heavy focus on academics, but plenty of social life available in the city of Chicago

Engineering, math and sciences

Engineering, math and sciences

I would suggest that I stay organized and get ahead of the game. It's very hard to find out all the information you need and people don't realize that most of it is found by doing it on your own. I suggest writing down as many questions as possible and taking initiative in finding out the answers.

Dakota

The main thing I would tell myself would be to get involved and stop stressing. Being involved in school is the number one reason I love being here at IIT. It took me a long tim to get involved in high school, so if I would have actually done it, I know I would have had much more fun. The reason I would say to stop stressing is because my senior year was completely full of it. I didn't know how I would like leaving my hometown, I had some hard courses, I was working two jobs, and was vice president of Key Club. Looking back now, I see how much free time I actually had compared to now though. I also notice now that I didn't have many worries back then as I do now (mainly speaking financially). My high school senior self would definitely have had a better time in high school if I told him these two things, but I also loved my senior year, so really I wouldn't change a thing that year.

The diversity at IIT is the greatest thing about this school. You are able to learn about so many different cultures and nations just by going to class. With our international population so high, it truly is amazing to walk around campus. You will usually hear at least 5 different languages being spoken just by walking from one side of campus to another.

I think the people who should attend IIT are those that are adamant about their education. People who want to be in a technologically driven field who also cares about what they are doing. You must also be able to handle stress nicely, because IIT is a hard school.

James

Apply for as many scholarships as possible, because school itself comes fairly simply to me, but the money is a different sto...

Apply for as many scholarships as possible, because school itself comes fairly simply to me, but the money is a different story.

The worst thing is probably the sound of the train, but I also like the train because it gets you downtown in 5 minutes, so it balances out.

Illinois Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.