Chicago, IL
Illinois Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois Institute of Technology

Kashif

Illinois Institute of Technology is best known for its small class sizes that provide for a one-on-one interactions with the professors and classmates. You are not just a number to your professors; they actually care about you and ask you about your life. These are the professors that are experts in the field and having that connection with them will open so many doors for you after graduation.

If I could travel back in time and advise my high school senior self about college, I would tell him that in order to succeed in college you need to make the effort to reach out to the professors if you have any problems with the class. At universities, the professos will not give you help. Instead, you have to come to the professor and tell them about your issues. The professors want the students to take intiative and ask for assistance. I have actually heard some professors say that they wish more students would come to their office hours more often. I would tell my past self to go meet with professors on the first week of school, and introduce yourself. That way the professor knows you on a personal level and will be more willing to help compared to someone who met with the professor a week before finals.

The most frustrating thing about Illinois Institute of Technology is the deteriorating classrooms and buildings. There are several academic buildings that are in need of a restoration. There are cracks in the ceiling that leak water. However plans are being made to restore the buildings during the summer, when classes are out.

Carolyn

Illinois Tech places a huge infuses on academics, making it very difficult to enjoy the full college experience.

When I was in high school, I was enrolled in the Magnet Program which meant I had access to AP courses and courses offered at Virginia colleges. Because of this program I thought I was prepared for to attend any university I chose, the reality of my freshman year at Illinois Tech was totally different. The transition from high school senior to college freshman is more of a mental challenge. If I could go back in time and speak with myself as a high school senior, I would encourage myself to strengthen my time management skills. I would tell myself "The key to doing well is to not be lazy! No matter what, always start assignments and study time early. I know this seems like very simple advice but once you get to college you will be introduced to bigger, better distractions. It is extremely important that you have a strong sense of self-discipline."

I wish I would have known that the international student body is very "clicky". What good is it to have an enormous amount of diversity if students from other racial or geographic backgrounds are not interested in mingling with anyone outside of their race?

Jonathan

My University is placed in the heart of the city so networking oppurtunities are incorporated with a great education for a unique experience.

I would scream to the past version of myself to stop fraternising with friends and focus on applying and visiting universities and making sure that your finances are in order in the fall, or you'll be scrambling with those same friends in the winter.

The weather of northern areas are horrifying, for the love of god stay indoors in the winter

My classmates are incredibly diverse, coming from all over the city, state, country, and other parts of the globe.

First, I would tell myself to stop being so arrogant. The younger me needed to stop thinking they were so much better than everyone else, because I learned that I'm not the smartest kid around. From this I found out that even though others are in fact smarter and more experienced than I am, that it's okay to ask for help and that it wouldn't damage my pride at all. Secondly, I would prepare myself for a huge smack in the face from reality; college is hard. College is hard on your mind, your body, your relationships with friends and family, and especially your wallet. College is about becoming an adult and learning new things, a lot of those new things will be about yourself. I would make sure to tell myself to take my time, plan things out, make sure I'm happy and not stressed. Things will be hard, but you have to know how to take care of yourself before dedicating so much time to studying. Finally, I would tell myself to make more friends during the semester, that people don't bite, and you'll be happier if you do.

There are many oppprotunities for extra help, whether it involves your classes, life, or anything you can think off. IIT offers a lot of support for their students, making a large school seems like a huge supportive family. Going to college is a scary thing, especially when there's at least 8,000 other students going with you. Making friends or finding help can be hard, but the atmosphere from the administration and even the other students makes new comers feel more welcome than they are in their own homes. This makes school more fun, safe, and easier.

Deidre

If I could go back in time and speak to myself about college, I would say that procrastinating and putting off my future career would be a horrible mistake. Life is constantly throwing curve balls and it is never the right time to be in school. You just have to keep on moving forward and handling what is being dealt. I would tell myself that I have the motivation and positive mind set to make it through as long as I continue to believe in myself. That deep within, I have all the abilities needed to make it successfully through regardless of how hard I am on myself. That in continuing my higher education, I would find out things about myself that I didn't know and that it would reveal the type of hard worker that I am. I would remind myself that every decision counts and that continuing my college education would be the greatest decision I ever made.

Michelle

My classmates at Illinois Institute of Technology are very diverse, intelligent, and creative.

My school is best known for its demanding programs and successful graduates.

Firstly, I would tell myself to be smarter financially. I was selfish and was not thinking about money or my family when I chose the school I did. I could be paying much less for the same education I am receiving. Now, my family is paying for my choices. Secondly, I would advise myself to keep in touch with my high school friends. Although I do not see them often, it is still great to talk to them when I get the chance. Lastly, I would advise myself to try harder to make friends in college. Without making friends at college, the transition is very difficult. With friends, college is fun and exciting.

Alyxes

If I could go back to give myself advice, I would tell myself to apply to as many scholarships as possible in order to help pay for school. I would say, "do not stress the little things." College can be overwhelming and i would tell myself to just take it one day at a time. There is no need to stress out about everything. I would ultimatly say to myself that i need to have fun and not spend so much time worrying.

Claire

Sometimes, when studying in the STEM fields people forget about the other aspects of education and social problems, however, my peers and fellow classmates have proven themselves to be caring, incredibly intelligent, motivated, and our world's future problem solvers.

Thinking back on the past few months of my college adventure thus far, my high school self definitely could have used some advice from my older and wiser college self. If it could be done, I would tell myself not to fret. Breathe. Relax. Now is not the time to be a perfectionist anymore; this will only create more stress. Do not belittle yourself because of one bad grade, because honestly, you are tougher on yourself than anyone else is. Move on. College is an experience that not everyone will be able to have. Always be thankful that you have this opportunity. While you must take college seriously, it is absolutely okay, if not necessary to have fun as well. You will only be young once. Embrace this and try not to act like the old woman that you sometimes do. College is what you make of it, so make great memories. While all of this may sound cliché and you would probably roll your eyes, take my advice. Trust me, I've already lived through it and learned from experience.

Illinois Institute of Technology is a fantastic school which produces hard workers and fosters efficient work ethics. I wish perhaps that I had honed time management skills a bit more before coming to this school. It is a skill that is indeed utilized daily.

Rebecca

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself that college is much better than high school. I would tell myself that I need to buckle down in school and let myself know that I am not going to have anyone to hold my hand throughout college. I was a poor high school student, so I would tell myself that I need the best of grades in college to be able to transfer into a four year college. The last thing I would tell my younger self is to not give up on myself because college can be stressful, but there is a better outcome waiting for me at the end of it.

Illinois Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.