Chicago, IL
Illinois Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois Institute of Technology

Claire

Sometimes, when studying in the STEM fields people forget about the other aspects of education and social problems, however, my peers and fellow classmates have proven themselves to be caring, incredibly intelligent, motivated, and our world's future problem solvers.

Thinking back on the past few months of my college adventure thus far, my high school self definitely could have used some advice from my older and wiser college self. If it could be done, I would tell myself not to fret. Breathe. Relax. Now is not the time to be a perfectionist anymore; this will only create more stress. Do not belittle yourself because of one bad grade, because honestly, you are tougher on yourself than anyone else is. Move on. College is an experience that not everyone will be able to have. Always be thankful that you have this opportunity. While you must take college seriously, it is absolutely okay, if not necessary to have fun as well. You will only be young once. Embrace this and try not to act like the old woman that you sometimes do. College is what you make of it, so make great memories. While all of this may sound cliché and you would probably roll your eyes, take my advice. Trust me, I've already lived through it and learned from experience.

Illinois Institute of Technology is a fantastic school which produces hard workers and fosters efficient work ethics. I wish perhaps that I had honed time management skills a bit more before coming to this school. It is a skill that is indeed utilized daily.

Rebecca

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self, I would tell myself that college is much better than high school. I would tell myself that I need to buckle down in school and let myself know that I am not going to have anyone to hold my hand throughout college. I was a poor high school student, so I would tell myself that I need the best of grades in college to be able to transfer into a four year college. The last thing I would tell my younger self is to not give up on myself because college can be stressful, but there is a better outcome waiting for me at the end of it.

Amr

I moved from Egypt to the United States two years ago after the Egyptian Revolution started. As a new student, I was not sure what high school in the US was all about. All I cared about was going to my classes, getting the best grades I can, and just graduate with my high school diploma. After achieving all this and going to college, I found out that there were many steps that I skipped that could have made my college experience not only easier, but also more fun and enjoyable. First advice I would give to myself would be to try and take electives that relate to my major in high school because, essentially, it will be of much benefit to my college career. One thing that I do now in college and I have not done in high school as much is being involved in my community. I am currently a member of four different organizations on campus and I volunteer on weekly basis to help people in need. This is the most thing I would say every high school student should consider engaging in; extracurricular activities because it will defnititely make their transition better.

Illinois Institute of Technology has an interesting diverse community. It is ranked the top 5 in the country for the ratio of international students to domestic students. A new student at IIT, whether domestic or international, can learn something new about a new culture and a new tradition everyday. We encounter so many people from different regions and countries where everybody has their unique traditions and beliefs and as an IIT student, you are always enganged with these students in a way where you find yourself learning new languages and food recipes.

One thing I could identify as the most frustrating about Illinois Institute of Technology is not being able to always get the help I need. The school has a department called the ARC where students can go looking for tutors for almost all majors but unfortunately, they are not always as of much help as expected. The school also does not have a big variety of options for people who are interested in different majors other than just Architecture and Engineering.

SHAYNA

First, I would have told myself to fill out scholarship applications!!! I thought that my grades were not good enough to get any. I think now I missed out on a lot of money because of my doubt and my laziness. I also would have told myslef to write my homework down. One of the main reasons I did not turn my homework in on time was because I would not write my home work down. I would turn it in a day or two and get everything right, but I would recieve half credit because it was late, which hurt my grade. At the end of my school year I started going in to ask my teachers for help with rasing my grade and completing assignments. I should have been doing that at the begining of the year so I would have told myself that too. Lastly I would have told myself that hanging out with my friends is not that important. I spent most of my time socializing when I should have been studying or doing homework.

The type of person that does not like to party and is really serious about getting a really great education and learning from the peers who feel the same.

It is one of the best schools in Chicago and companies are always dying to come to our career fairs.

Randall

Given the possibiility stated above, I would strive to inform myself to take the future more seriously. At the time of high school graduation, I had no positive outlook on my future. I spent three years at a community college, where I frequently changed my mind on what career I should pursue. It wasn't until late in the fall semester of my third year that I met a few individuals who changed my outlook on life. Fellow classmates showed me the wonders and endless possibilities of engineering. I was entranced by the theory which they spoke of, as if a spell was cast on me. These conversations shaped my future and I am now entering my final year at an engineering school. Although my future has brightened considerably, there is still a presence of bleakness. I used up all available funding from the government by exceeding the amount of credits students are allowed. This poses quite a conundrum, as I am currently without means of recouping from such a loss. Therefore, if time travel was possible, I would ensure my future self knows has a clear perspective on what field to study before taking all the subsequent courses.

The thing I consider best about my school is the ability to be involved in research as an undergraduate. As long as you show interest and prove to the professor that you are a diligent worker and a competent student, there is a good opportunity of landing a position as an undergraduate researcher in his or her lab. This allows an undergraduate to gain experience in the field, as well as learning novel and innovating techniques in the professor's area of expertise.

The type of person who should not attend this school is, for the lack of a better word, a lazy student. The students who are enrolled here work hard and are studious. The library, as well as other buildings, are frequently filled with students who want to better thermselves by preparing for class and forming study groups to comprehend theories applicable to their major. I feel a person who is lazy will fail to grow, not only as a student, but as an individual. I, for one, learned a lot about myself by coming here and pushing myself daily.

Chima

IIT is a school where technology reins supreme, and who's students hold with them the world of tomorrow.

There are quite a lot of things I would tell my high school self. Most of all, it would be to not procrastinate! I'd tell him, "We entered the college life as ignorant as possible, not knowing what to expect. But now, I realize that when we have questions, we need to get answers. I used to be so quiet, not asking questions even when I didn't understand something; make sure you don't do that, or you'll definitely regret it. I know college life seems like a lot to take in. It may seem scary or complicated, but running away from it isn't the answer. You just have to dive in as fast as you can, and before you know it, the worst will be over." Then I'd pat him on the head and say, "Oh, and don't be afraid to talk to people. You'll make a lot of friends in college, and it's going to be a blast. Just relax, and you're going to be fine. I would know; I'm you from the future, after all."

The best thing about IIT is it's friendly faculty and students. This is because they all gave such a warm welcome when we first entered the school. Everyone there is helpful and kind to each other, so it really gives students a nice atmosphere, and makes them feel at home.

Cassonia

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would tell myself to obtain a goal and focus. There are alot of things that may advert your focus but stay strong. Life happens and unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it. Just make the best of your situation and keep at it. Use 'that' situation as your motivator to drive you to work even harder of obtaining your goal which is to finish school. Look for the end result, it's very rewarding.

Vincenzo

IIT is best known for their school of architecture. Second to that they are known for being an amazing engineering school competing amongst other top schools in the USA. It is known for its smaller class sizes and really good teacher student relationships. It has an amazing amount of resources so that if a student is struggling or needs help with something they are not just left to fend for themselves.

If I could go back and talk to myself when I wa a senior I would have a lot to say. First off i would tell myself that I really need to develope better studying skills so that i would not have such a difficult time with classes. I would also tell myself about the endless amount of resources that provide me with help with my classes and other things, and to really take advantage of what is being offered and put out there. One of the more important things i would tell myslelf is to spend the time to fill out a lot more scholarships. Money in my family has gotten very tight since I have been in college. Life for my whole family would be a lot easier if i had filled out and recieved more scholarships. To end though, I would tell myself to make the best of my college years and really enjoy them, and grasp the life long lessons that arise and truly utilize them.

I mostly brag about IIT's amazing wood shops and machine shops. I also brag about the bog which has a bowling alley, pool tables, darts, bar, etc all on campus. Also, there is an unbelievable amount of clubs and organizations at IIT where lots of people can come together, get to know each other and truly create strong relationships with each other that will last a lifetime.

Nabil

It is a friendly, diverse, tough school.

It is a friendly, diverse, tough school.

I would tell myself to not worry, and to not procrasninate. I worked slightly harder in my AP Physics and Literature, I would have been able to get a little bit more ahead. I was lazy as a senior, and I should have worked harder. That way, I would not worry too much about which classes I should take to graduate, and focus on learning. Other then that, I believe that I have no other regrets.

Anyone should intend to enroll here, because so many different majors are offered here, even ones that people do not expect.

Meaghan

A very diverse and generally friendly, hardworking student body

A very diverse and generally friendly, hardworking student body

If I could give advice to myself, it would be that single sentence. It is a concise statement that I believe sums up much of the best advice that is available about high school and life beyond. I underestimated the value of learning about people and different cultures as a high school student. However, I learned as an engineering student and maturing adult that knowledge of people is more crucial that one may think. High school, college and life in general can be thought of as a never ending course in sociology, and it is a course that should be pursued as arduously as any other course. Many successful and failed pursuits in international relationships, war, science and engineering, business, etc., can be attributed in part to a lack of knowledge and/or respect for people we know, serve and interact with on a daily basis. To quote a meditation from a prose by English poet John Donne, “No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.” In order to succeed in any endeavor in life, we must understand and work with everyone around us.

A person who is not willing to work to the best of their ability

Illinois Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.