Chicago, IL
Illinois Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois Institute of Technology

Benjamin

If there is one thing I could tell my past senior self it would be to not worry about the small things and focus on the important things. Concentrating on schoolwork and keeping your friends close are two big goals. You’re going to go through a lot of hard time with your best friend joining the Air Force but you will overcome. You will even better yourself because of it. Even if school gets tough you’re going to make friends that are going to not only back you up when you’re down but also help you achieve leadership spots, notably becoming Debate Club President. Throughout going to college you are going to make mistakes. This is not a burden; this is going to be the best time to learn from it and to improve yourself. Kindness is going to play a giant part of your life. Having the skills to not only receive kindness but to return it with a smile. These next few years are going to be hard but I know you can overcome any obstacle and grow up to be the man our parents want you to become.

Rebecca

Knowing what I know now, I would tell my high school self to enjoy my college career more and utilize the resources that were available to further my education and give myself a headstart in the job hunt. I would encourage myself to take more steps out of my comfort zone and take elective courses that could increase my skills, making me a more versatile version of myself. By encourageing my past self to expand on the vast amounts of knowledge available, I would be able to expand my horizons and potentially find a career that was unexpected. Hindsight is always 20/20, looking back I would have provided my past self with a lot of advice about focusing more on my education. I wouldn't have changed the outcome that brought me to where I am now even though there may have been some bumps along the way. The best advice I could give my high school self would be enjoy my time in college, work hard, and always trust my instincts.

Sandra

I think one of the characteristics that make IIT unique is the fact that many of the students that graduate from this institution do end up with a commendable job. I think many companies and other institutions that come to IIT realize that it is composed of students that are very driven and understand the importance of an education. In addition, this institution's commitment to community out-reach is also very notable, hosting a number of events that inspire adults and students to pursue Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology (STEM) fields.

I learned a lot about myself, my capabilities, and my potential after completing my first year in college. I believe one the greatest pieces of advice that I would tell myself is not to let self-criticisms or the criticisms of other people affect you in a negative way. Rather, learn to take away select parts of their comments that are constructive and beneficial to your development here in school and block all judgments that you may think are negative because you ultimately control how you feel. Learn to think in a positive light and have confidence in yourself because no other person will believe that you will complete school and accomplish things except for yourself. Another piece of advice that I would tell myself is to develop a strong work ethic before you enter college. In college, there is a lot of time given to students and a lot of work can be completed in a day if you learn how to utilize your time wisely. Invest in a planner and calendar and develop a habit of writing in them every day. This will allow you to accomplish many things in a more efficient manner.

I wish I would have known more about the tuition increase that IIT does every year. Although IIT is known very well for the amount of financial aid they offer their students, there is an approximate 4.5% tuition increase that will be applied to my tuition each year. Not knowing this, it skewed my idea of what I thought I would be paying after four years. I realized after completing my first year that I will be paying more money than expect, but it is a good education nonetheless.

John

I would tell myself that school only gets harder and to get good grades while I was still a freshman because having a gpa in the upper 3's will help you land that internship at your dream company and also it will help you attend a graduate school of your choice later on. Remember to study as hard as you play and always remember to work as hard as you can because you only get to do this once.

The community that sourrounds it. IIT is a great school with great teachers and classrooms. It however is sourrounded by low income housing and because of that we have a tougher crowd that sourrounds campus making it a dangerous place at night.

They type of person that should attend this school is one who knows what they want to do, can manage thier time well and knows when it is time to study.

Donavin

To disturb the space-time continuum is always a delicate endeavor, but a fantastic opportunity. I wouldn’t offer any grandiose insights or magnificent realizations. The single indispensable parcel of knowledge I would impart unto myself is to act. Don’t defeat your chance and extinguish opportunity before it can even be breathed into existence; if you’re waiting for the opportune moment then you’ve already missed it. So act, act boldly, act swiftly, act decisively, be defiant to the childish fears of rejection, be the wave of commotion that overtakes the stillness in the water, be dauntless in the face of perceived future failures. Don’t succumb to the treachery of hesitation nor give life to the betrayal of pause. Rather than extinguishing opportunity you must stoke it by remaining eager and vigilant to act. When the flames have been stoked and the fire is ablaze remember to exercise caution and if you’re insistent on keeping your eyebrows remember, no matter what anyone tells you, “inflammable” actually means flammable.

Charles

The transition from high school to college was a smooth voyage for me. I decided to attend a local community college that offered economical tutition and transferable college credits to a long list of accredited universities. I felt like I had my future college trip completely mapped out and set on cruise control. Which leads me to my crucial advice to my high school senior self. Skip community college and head straight for a four year university! I looked at community college as a financially easy solution to get ahead of my college credits, but boy was I completely wrong. Little did I know that the four year college that I would finally attend would be more financially accomodating then the community college that held me for two years to obtain an Associate's Degree in Science, which doesn't support my architectural major at all. If I would have headed straight for a four year university, I would have been an adept college graduate out in the working field. Instead I'm over a year away from attaining my major goal, a Bachelor of Architecture degree.

I wish I knew all the courses that could potentially be transferred from my previous college. If I had known before hand about the type of work that the institute was looking for in transfer candidates for the architecture program, I would have been able to graduate a few years earlier.

The overall workload of each course. The workload at my school is heavy, especially in the architecture program. Every studio/class day a set number of deliverables are due for class discussions. Most of the time assignments from other classes conflict with one another and leave students up late nights to complete all assigned work. Our final studio reviews demand so much work that many students are up 2-3 nights in a row with little to no sleep. The projects usually last a good month or so but with a design project there is always work to be done.

Alex

Find a job NOW, save ALL the money you're about to make, and then take a year off and travel. Go to the places you see in National Geographic and Planet Earth. If during that time you find yourself missing school, then it is the right time to go College - because you want to! Make sure to do your research, talk to your friends who are completing their first year to see what it's been like for them. Consider financial limitations, look for Colleges with transfer programs that pay you to go to school! Do very well, take your education seriously - you wont regret putting in the extra effort to get above a 3.5 GPA -- it is only a number, but there is no denying it will open more opportunities. Regardless of whether you're in school, traveling or working, make sure to do whatever it is well because it is reflective of who you are. There will undoubtedly be tough times, but remember that the struggles make the summit that much more enjoyable. Be welcoming of friendship, introduce yourself to someone new. Stay humble and stay courageous.

We're not really an any-sort-of-party school. Maybe slightly if involved with Greek life. But otherwise, nothing... would be nice if "fun" (in terms of kicking back with a beer) were more embraced.

Nothing. More often than not the Professors are great, the housing and food is good, and the students by and large are very intelligent and interesting.

Sabrena

Hey there buddy, don't be alarmed. It's only me...your older wiser, more decisive self. I'm here to help you transition to college. Thank me later. You'll appreciate the importance of having a mentor. Guidance is crucial for new students so be sure to sign up for orientation. College is a very big place full of opportunities to help you be successful. Take advantage of them. There are programs like the honor roll, tutoring, academic clubs, career centers, you name it. You're going to meet people from all walks of life. Be friendly and mature but keep your focus. Now let's talk decisions. You love computers, don't you? Well don't go into that field. You love helping people more. The medical profession is for you. Do a lot of academic research to understand the degree requirement for that field and volunteer at the local hospital. Turn in all assignments promptly including homework and extra credit. Most of all enjoy the experience. One more thing, you like sleeping late on mornings, true? Well shape up. You snooze, you lose friend. Well you're all set. Meet you on campus. Love yourself.

Dakota

I would truly tell myself to enjoy the days of freedom and exuberance to their fullest extent. Life isn't black and white, it's in shades of grey. Go out and make friends. Allocate two hours a day to studying at the same time everyday so you don't slack off. You're the one paying to learn, so go and do it. Exercise a lot too, you don't want to gain weight and feel tired all the time. Try to make lasting connections with your peers. You don't want to be a shut-in so go out and make friends and do stuff.

Kyle

I would tell myself to be more open to people and social events, and to stay away from the Common's food! I would also specifically mention to spend more time at the fraternity houses.

IPRO programs. Most aren't very interesting, but they are a powerful way to get into your field.

Illinois Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.