Chicago, IL
Illinois Institute of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois Institute of Technology

Alex

IIT is a great place to get an in depth technical understanding of everything from architecture to engineering to science. Add that to all the hands on work and a great Career Managment Center and you have a school that is dedicated to creating young professionals and getting them into their field of choice.

If I could go back and give myself advice, my wisdom would be two-fold. Firstly, I would advise myself on how to better spend my senior year. In my senior year, I was an exchange student to Japan. I would tell myself to really try everything. I wish I had spent more time focused on the language so that I could have met more friends and connected on a deeper level. I wish I had put more time into exploring every bit of culture that Japan had to offer. Most of all, I would tell myself to cherish everyday, because the time to return to the States was fast approaching. My second piece of advice to myself would be for when I came back and enrolled at IIT. All of the clubs, student organizations, and leadership positions have been worth so much more than the effort I put into them and I wish I had gotten involved earlier and with more passion. Sincerely, Alex Welk

As a changing and improving school, IIT is revising and modifying many of its policies. Many times, these policy changes seems to come out of nowhere, be applied with little regard for student input, or give different reasons for a change in order to spin the change positively. It isn't all the time and it certainly isn't with malice, but it is frustrating to so involved in many aspects of the school and then see the school make blunders that could have been avoided by student involvement and input.

I am very happy with the academics at my school. I feel that the education I receive is top-notch. I am exposed to amazing opportunities through my professors and have found great success academically. However, there are a few things I would change. First, there is not a great sense of community within IIT. Friendships are often fleeting and seem to be based around who is in your classes at the time, or who lives nearby. There are not many other things at IIT to bond over. Another thing that is less than ideal is the location. While it is safe, it is in a fairly desolate part of town. In a way it can be a positive in that there is no immediate temptation to leave campus to have fun, but on the other hand I am often jealous of other parts of the city and all they have to offer there. I feel very comfortable walking around IIT at any time of night, however I would definitely not walk very far off campus at night.

What are the most popular classes offered?

I'm actually not aware of any very popular classes. At IIT we are very focused on completing our major requirements, and not particularly interested in other offerings. I have heard that "History of Middle Earth" fills up quickly, but I don't actually know anyone who has tried to take it.

Union Board is a very popular student group. They coordinate fun events for students to participate in on campus and off campus. They put on events ranging from a carnival in the fall, to offering deep discounts on skydiving tickets.

Tell us about the food and dining options.

All dining on campus is managed by the company Sodexo. Sodexo is a national company that services many college campuses. Unfortunately they have a contract that says IIT cannot get food from other vendors. They do offer a variety of options for getting food on campus, but many students are unsatisfied. There is also a 7-11 store on campus, and a Jimmy Johns, Starbucks, and a pizza restaurant incredibly close.

One unique thing about campus is the disc-golf course that runs through it. It is the only disc-golf course in Chicago, so it is not unheard of for people in the community to come to campus just for that. There have even been some celebrity spottings on the campus discing! Another unique thing is the architecture and the layout. At IIT we have a lot of open green space which is unusual for a campus in the city. Most of our buildings were designed by the famous architect Mies van der Rohe. But there is also SSV (a dorm) and the MTCC (our student center) which are very unique and interesting architecturally.

When you step off campus what do you see?

It depends in which direction you walk. Walking west brings you into Bridgeport, a developing neighborhood with small local businesses and restaurants as well as many residences. Bridgeport is home to Cellular Field. Many IIT students live in Bridgeport due to the low rent. Walking south is not recommended as it's not a great part of town. However, the police station is south so it is not entirely unsafe. There are many fast food restaurants south of campus. Walking west brings you to the Illinois College of Optometry, Bronzeville, and a large residential area. Walk a bit further and you will be at beautiful lake Michigan! Walking north brings you closer to downtown.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Spots are not a very important part of the IIT experience. Sometimes varsity volleyball, soccer, and baseball games are advertised on campus and students who attend can often get some free IIT swag. Athletes at IIT blend in very well. It's possible to join some of the sports teams without being offered a scholarship, so it doesn't really have the exclusivity factor that some other schools may experience. In addition to varsity sports, many IIT students will participate in some club or intermural sport. Besides the official teams, other club sports such as indoor soccer, cricket, badminton, bowling, and tennis see a lot of participation.

I am a physics major. My department often has the reputation of having sub-par professors. All of our professors are successful researchers but not all are gifted at teaching undergrads. I have great respect for my professors and think that at the very least they are all excellent scientists. They have provided me with opportunities I never thought I would have and without their selfless interaction I would be a much lesser student. Classes at IIT are definitely challenging. The workload is large and science/math/engineering classes require a lot of time and effort. Social science classes require very little effort and students can easily earn an A.

IIT students are typically known as being nerds. Hard working, but somewhat reclusive and perhaps even socially incompetent. Many people will say they are disappointed with the social scene, and that the school is known to empty out during breaks due to so many students fleeing to the suburbs where they are from. In reality, there are a lot of opportunities to socialize and fun to be had. There are no major barriers to creating a student organization, and chances are one already exists for any given interest. Various groups on campus put on events both on campus and off campus that can be enjoyed by everyone. Still, it is true that IIT students are very hard working and most people will be unwilling to blow off their commitments in favor of having a good time. In recent years the school has been choosing more well-rounded students that more successfully have a healthy balance between work and fun.

mathew

This school have interprofessional projects course that all students need to take. It let students work in a group with an advisor in order to accomplish the project. The concept of working in teams provide an idea for students to work with other people from different background.

The advice I would give myself is to work hard, don't slack off. Prioritising time is very important because I had a lot of free time and thought I would finish my homework easily, but it did not work out.

The worst thing about the school is it's expensive because this is a private school.

Eghonghon

This school will be what you make of it.

This school will be what you make of it.

There is easy access to get down town. You get to learn about the city. There are many opportunities to get jobs after graduating, the campus is diverse. Classes are easy to get to, classes are small so it will be easy to communicate with professors. There are very helpful resources to make sure that you do not fail anything.

College visits are essential. they let you know what you are gettign into. Make sur ethat when you apply to colleges you also apply for financial aid. Most likely the school that gives you the best deak financially is the school you go to. That is another reason to visit all colleges on your list. You can make a list of pros and cons to teh school you visit. When you choose a school to go to, fidn ways to deal with , or make better, the cons that were listed. After you figure that out, enjoy your last year in high school.

Johnna

You're entering the adult world! Be prepared to push yourself; there may not be a teacher there to do it for you! Commit yourself to your future by putting your main focus on being academically successful, but don't forget to have fun along the way. The best way to enjoy college is to strike a good balance between fulfilling responsibilities and appreciating down time. There will be personality conflicts, whether they involve roommates, classmates, or professors. Develop the fine art of honest, diplomatic communication, and be willing to compromise on the little things (NOT on your ethics or moral standards!). This is a great time for building the social, academic, and professional networks that will help you create the life you always wanted!

Jenny

I would not want to go back in time but move forward, and improve myself. As much as I want to go back in time, and give myself all the advise I could about past problems, and how I could have applied to more scholarships when I was in high school, I will never be able to go back in time in reality. I think accepting what I have done till now in my life made me who I am, and made me learn a lot about myself during the process. Also, the challenges I've faced in the past will equip me with the knowledge to overcome other obstacles I will face in the future.

Not much, I did a lot of research about the school before I went there for school, so it was no surprise to me when I got here. It is everything I wanted. The people in IIT is so supportive of each other academically and emotionally.

The worst thing about IIT is that it cost money to go to this awesome school.

Rashelle

I am going back to school to make something better of myself not only for me but for my two boys that i have and i want to be a role model for them and be someone they can look up to and say thats my mom and im proud of her. I want to make a better future for me and my boys give then what is needed in life and im determined to get off the welfare system and be able to be more indepentent on myself and not another indiviual. Im 36 years old and desever a better life over all. I want to get ahead in life and be able to afford things for myself as well for my children. Given this opportunite to go back to school will be a good and better begining for me and my kids.. I want to hold my head up high and say to myself "I can do this" I want to make a difference in someone else life when i enter the medical field. I want to be able to help others and see that they are gonna be ok. I really want to make an impack on

sandra

I highly enjoy my classmates. There is an appreciation of the fact that we are attending such a prestigious scholl. Everyone is willing to learn and to learn as much as possible. We are all eager and competitive to a degree. We know where we want to be once we graduate. We are also aware of how difficult it will be to achieve our goals, but we are motivated to pursue. Attending IIT is our first step for our better tomorrow.

The most valuable thing I have gotten out of my college experience is knowledge. Knowledge allows one to move mountains. The knowledge that I have gained has allowed me to see how far humanity and our universe have come. Politics, Sciences, and Languages (to name a few) have transformed because of the intelligence of the human mind. We have yet to achieve more. Knowing that and understanding that intrigues me and forces me internally to learn more so that I can take part in such phenomenon. College has also allowed me to understand and learn about so many cultures and beliefs throughout our planet. I have met and debated with individuals from different nations. I have an open mind and a thirst for understanding because of college. I come from a family that isn't educated. My parents were only able to complete the sixth grade. When I speak to them I realize how lucky I am to know things that they never dreamed of. They are proud of me, which is the most gratifying feeling in the world.

If someone isn't self motivated then this school is not for him or her. While we have professors that are willing to guide us, we all have to put more effort than required. The school is competitie and challenging. One must be motivated and disciplined to complete all tasks. One may have to put more than 100%.

Henri

A higher education with an emphasis on math and engineering. It's a different environment than I've been exposed to in the pa...

A higher education with an emphasis on math and engineering. It's a different environment than I've been exposed to in the past.

Which professors are great instructors. And which are not good.

Joseph

A group of highly intelligent students dedicated to improving themselves through education.

The main thing that I have gotten out of my college experience has been the discipline to not only learn; but to stretch myself beyond my own goals. The curriculum is very demanding and the professors expect students to keep up with the paces that have been established. This challenge has awakened my own intellect and made me strive for an even deeper understanding of the material as I have progressed over the past two and a half years. I will be an asset to my future employers because of the training and education that I am receiving at Illinois Institute of Technology.

Someone interested in learning in a fast paced environment.

Illinois Institute of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.