Illinois Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Illinois Institute of Technology

When people think of IIT, they think we do nothing but study, study, and study some more. And we do study a lot. But I have met some very well-to-do men that were clients of my father's limousine, and they all told me something that speaks of the results of an IIT education. And that is that when they see this school on a resume, they know that they will got top production from that applicant, without fail. We are going to school to get education to get a job -- and employers love graduates of IIT! In other words, it does its purpose as good as anyone else. But don't forget that there's nothing wrong with having fun while in pursuit of this life goal.

The Illinois Institute of Technology is unique in that many undergraduates students are allowed to cooperate with professors and participate in research. For example, one of my first year physics friends is currently working with one of her professors on his research at Argonne National Laboratory. By doing so, students are able to gain real life experience in the fields of their choice. Also unlike many other prestiges universities and colleges, the IIT community is small enough to allow students to interact with and develop professional relationships with professors on a personal level.

I think one of the characteristics that make IIT unique is the fact that many of the students that graduate from this institution do end up with a commendable job. I think many companies and other institutions that come to IIT realize that it is composed of students that are very driven and understand the importance of an education. In addition, this institution's commitment to community out-reach is also very notable, hosting a number of events that inspire adults and students to pursue Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology (STEM) fields.

IIT is dedicated to sustainability, we don't even use trays in the dining commons because it is a waste of water. The school is extremely small and interactions can be more high school-like than college-like. The buildings, though historical, are mostly falling apart. The people are what really make this university. The friends you will make are the best people you could meet. The transfer out rate is high and not very many people graduate from IIT (like 60% or something). IIT isn't for everyone, the environment is harsh but if you fit, you fit.

IIT is unique because of the make-up of the student body. First, the college is about 70% male. Also, the college is very high in the academic areas of Math and Science. The focus is on academics and the college is strong in the field of Architecture, Computer Science, Engineering and Math. The campus itself is very unique due to the fact that a very famous architect (Mies Van der Rohe) designed most of the buildings on-campus. We have a are located south of Chicago in a very diverse neighborhood. The most unique aspect is the wonderful staff.

My school is the only school I know that offers the IPRO program. The IPRO program is a program that brings students from various disciplines together to solve some very crucial problems in science, engineering, business, etc. It gives students an opportunity to be part of the 'great innovators' while still in school. Students ,after completing this program , see the world in a whole new way because of their exposure to different fields. Every student must participate in the IPRO! My schoolis a school that simply 'Unleashes the genius in everyone'.

Although the university is in a large city the campus has large green areas. Alot of students sit, eat and read on the green areas. These areas are used for the new "frisbee golf" they recently added, and playing football and soccer. The most open of these areas are right in front of the building I use most, which is Crown Hall. I once saw a HUGE snowball fight in this area at 3 in the morning :) It was great to see people taking a brake from the intense homework load.

Illinois Institute of Technology is unique compared to other schools in the fact that it has a very high rate of International Students. Along with that, IIT offers students the opportunity to learn so much about different cultures around the world and make friends from almost anywhere. Having a very diverse community at IIT is a pleasure and also a unique opportunity that many students don't get to experience because their schools is either too big or not as diverse.

Illinois Institute of Technology is unique because it holds a prestigous title within the academic society as well as the professional society. IIT has a long list of well-known successful alumni that accredit their personal success to their academic success from this institution. IIT's success stories are motivational and inspiring, and this attracts some of the worlds greatest minds in a collaboration of academic success.

The thing that made IIt stand out above all other schools was the fact that the school had a great social life/acceptance. I came here for a weekend and I was treated so well, the current students then took us out to place on and off campus, and no one cared how you looked, how you dressed or how famous you were. Everyone just got along. I remember telling my mother, Mom, I can SO see myself fitting into this school!