Illinois Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Illinois Institute of Technology

The location of the school is somewhat dangerous being on the southside of Chicago. The campus is safe but the surrounding areas are not as safe. This is changing, though; the neighborhood is developing rapidly. Previously there were no places to eat or get groceries walking distance from campus, but now there is a jimmy johns and starbucks with more developments on their way. You still have to take the train one stop to get to a safe grocery store or target, but that one stop takes you into downtown so you have access to many things you may need.

The overall workload of each course. The workload at my school is heavy, especially in the architecture program. Every studio/class day a set number of deliverables are due for class discussions. Most of the time assignments from other classes conflict with one another and leave students up late nights to complete all assigned work. Our final studio reviews demand so much work that many students are up 2-3 nights in a row with little to no sleep. The projects usually last a good month or so but with a design project there is always work to be done.

I think the school is going through some financial troubles. So one thing is that there are too many students. Every year it's more and more and there are not enough computers in the lab, or a big enough shop. They are relocating the shop, but not for another year (supposedly). The libraries are more in use and not as quiet as they used to be. The next thing would be the financial aid office. It is rare to find someone who can really help you. They always mess up the students accounts. You have to really pay attention.

We are a pretty poor social aspect at this campus. Trying to instill a feeling of school spirit is a struggle. Much of this, I attribute to our high percentage of international students. This reason alone, however, is not a bad thing. I actually love having this much diversity, but it definitely presents a unique set of challenges that much of the student body is still trying to work out. It has been getting better, but all the pieces are not in the right places yet, but whole picture is starting to be distinguishable.

I believe that the worst thing about my school is the fitness center. The school is amazing for its academics and history behind every single building but students need a place to get away and relax. Most students go to Keating Hall which is our fitness center. Four of the basketball hoops are broken, all equipment is damaged or in bad shape, and some windows are cracked and broken. Its a great stress reliever to just go work out or play some sports with friends but at Keating it is very difficult to do.

The worst thing about the school was the apathetic attitude of a good portion of the students. It is a small institution, so there is not an exceedingly large number of activities to do outside of school. However, the biggest problem was that when oppurtunities to get involved and have fun were presented, most students decided to pass them by and continue complaining about their boring weekend instead. I usually chose to do the opposite, and can say that It was worth it and I would do it all over again.

The population of IIT is diverse, but most of international students are from india and china. So they always together and ignoring others. For example chinese students talk to each other chinese in all lessons and some TA's are talking with students in Chinese. Because of this there is difficulties in making friends and improving english. Some chinese are disrespectful to others they tend to help only each other. Some TA's might help their chinese students.

I am a transfer student at IIT , and If I have to compare to my previous college and IIT, IIT is really good school for engineering major. For me , the worst thing about IIT is it doesnt have class between 12:40 to 1:50.Because usually I have classes are ending up at12:40 , then I have to wait to other 1 and half hours to get an other class. It messes up my day (i have morning classes and late afternoon classes).This is I dont like about IIT

Many students prefer to isolate themselves. It is very difficult to bring people out of their shells. This fact is best obverved on weekends. Instead of a social and bustling campus, the campus is very quiet except for the greek community. Actually, without the greek community, the campus would be completely dead, always. The Greeks are very involved and are in many leadership roles in every major organization on campus.

The worst thing about IIT is the way that the administration treats the students. It is not a service oriented culture. If you have a problem with something and need to get it fixed you will usually have to talk to about five different people before you get an answer. This semester I actually lost $2000 of a scholarship I was awarded because of their refusal to work with me in a timely and considerate manner.