Illinois Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Illinois Institute of Technology

I have been in school for a full year now and my first semester, I had to drop 2 classes which I took against my advisor's referral. If there were something I could say I was frustrated about, it would be the school's unspoken assumption that every new student just finished high school or just transferred from another institute of higher learning. There are no "refresher" courses being offered for individuals such as myself. I have been out of school for almost 20 years. Even tutoring is offered in a way that assumes remembrance of all prior knowledge.

As a changing and improving school, IIT is revising and modifying many of its policies. Many times, these policy changes seems to come out of nowhere, be applied with little regard for student input, or give different reasons for a change in order to spin the change positively. It isn't all the time and it certainly isn't with malice, but it is frustrating to so involved in many aspects of the school and then see the school make blunders that could have been avoided by student involvement and input.

The academic pressure. Many students have commented that this university has much higher academic standards and workload requirements that others they have attended. While I agree with this sentiment I also believe the professors to be fair and understanding individuals. All of the professors have many years of expertise in research, field-related careers, or education, if not some combination of the three, and they desire to push the students to excel in the necessary areas.

One thing I could identify as the most frustrating about Illinois Institute of Technology is not being able to always get the help I need. The school has a department called the ARC where students can go looking for tutors for almost all majors but unfortunately, they are not always as of much help as expected. The school also does not have a big variety of options for people who are interested in different majors other than just Architecture and Engineering.

The most frustrating thing about his school is the lack of common sense. Professors rely on the academic structure rather than applying practical situtations. It is frustrating to have to supplement education with further research and actions, when the school is extremely expensive and should be providing this information and these types of resources. Everyone (professors and students) is extremely opinionated and narrow-minded.

The school is predominantly male, with mostly engineering courses. Oftentimes friends simply get together just to play video games, rather than do something more exciting (to me, that is) or even somewhat productive. Many people have no interest in taking time to give back to the community. Luckily, though, we still have several groups who do, such as the religious groups on campus.

We don't have anything binding us together. There's no spirit because most people don't have a good reason to be spirited. Our strongest talents need more publicity. For example, there are many students very talented in martial arts that go to this school, but there is no team, or even an intramural club for them to interact or be watched and praised.

The most frustrating thing about Illinois Institute of Technology is the deteriorating classrooms and buildings. There are several academic buildings that are in need of a restoration. There are cracks in the ceiling that leak water. However plans are being made to restore the buildings during the summer, when classes are out.

Well, I would say the most frustrating for me would be that since there are so many students here where English was not their first language it is hard to understand what some of them are saying. Also this challange continues too the teachers who almost always have an accent.

The required payment of fees for services that I will never require or wish to utilize. Specifically the required purchase of a mass transit pass that is only useful in the city when all of my classes will be at a campus that is only three minutes from my home.