Illinois Institute of Technology Top Questions

How much more financial aid I needed.

Carolyn

I wish I would have known that the international student body is very "clicky". What good is it to have an enormous amount of diversity if students from other racial or geographic backgrounds are not interested in mingling with anyone outside of their race?

Illinois Institute of Technology is a fantastic school which produces hard workers and fosters efficient work ethics. I wish perhaps that I had honed time management skills a bit more before coming to this school. It is a skill that is indeed utilized daily.

Sandra

I wish I would have known more about the tuition increase that IIT does every year. Although IIT is known very well for the amount of financial aid they offer their students, there is an approximate 4.5{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} tuition increase that will be applied to my tuition each year. Not knowing this, it skewed my idea of what I thought I would be paying after four years. I realized after completing my first year that I will be paying more money than expect, but it is a good education nonetheless.

I wish I knew all the courses that could potentially be transferred from my previous college. If I had known before hand about the type of work that the institute was looking for in transfer candidates for the architecture program, I would have been able to graduate a few years earlier.

How to write a resume.

There is a distinct lack of entertainment around campus. The area around campus does not wield much to do without going into downtown Chicago, and then everything within downtown costs money to do. The campus is very small so unless your in a fraternity there is also not much going on around campus itself. Once friends are made on your dorm floor, people hang out a lot to fill in the time.

Jianyuan

Location, the rank of major , and also the professer of my major.

Not much, I did a lot of research about the school before I went there for school, so it was no surprise to me when I got here. It is everything I wanted. The people in IIT is so supportive of each other academically and emotionally.

Henri

Which professors are great instructors. And which are not good.

I wish I had known more about the availability of various scholarships; it would definitely have helped me decrease the school loans that I have.

Sonal

I wish I had known the amount of work that needs to be put into being an architect major. The hours put into the studio classes are great and I was not prepared for it during my first semester.

Meshiagaye

All the different opportunities available at a school. The diverse students. Its a great environment

Hoa

Before attending IIT, it is best to research and get to know the campus, students, and faculty. Currently, I am a commuting students amongst many students that live on campus because they are international students or from another state or neighboring suburb. To get the full effect of college is hard when commuting because I don't get the chance to socialize much. There are many fun events that gather students together and I am making the effort to go to as many events as possible so that I will be able to learn in a fun and comfortable environment.

Chen

In my opinion, choosing a school is like doing an investment. Since I got my bachalor's degree in China in July 2010 and decided to come to America to pursue a master's degree, students' emplyment rate and professors' reputation are both important criteria to choose a graduate school. However, information about those is relativly difficult to get from abroad. As a result, if I had taken students' emplyment rate and professors' reputation into consideration, I could have made better choice.

I had some angst about the difficulty level of the college level courses, even though I had some AP classes in high school. I wish I had some way of knowing that the classes were not impossible, and how much help was available to me if I needed it. As it turns out, I didn't need to worry.

Tau

that taking less credit hours does not refund your tuition.

Oduola

I wish i had known how much each course cost. It would have made me plan financially well before the start of the semester. My semester in the school was a little bit tough for me due to the fact that i didnt know what loans to apply for, how to apply for them, and what that was needed to do in applying for those loans. There was a little bit confusion between the student and the parents loan. I was charged late fees because i didnt pay my tuition on time.

Kay

About where my major can actually take me. I thought I could work for a company, but it is actually harder than I thought, so I may be stuck in academia after graduating.

Laurel

I wish i had known that everyone seems to be very academicaly focused and thats it. The sports programs are not very good, the facilities are average considering this is a very old institution. This campus is not very good looking, meaning you kind of feel depressed walking around, there is nothing nice to look at. I wish i had known it was going to cost as much as it does and that the education you get for the money plus facilities compared to other schools is not very good.

Nikita

Although I have conducted a thorough research before committing to one university, there are a few things that I wish I had known beforehand. 1) I wish I knew that there were more scholarship opportunities out there - since finances played a great role in the decision process. If I knew about those opportunities, I probably would have chosen an other school that might have fit me better. (the other school happened to be more expensive) 2) I wish I had a better overview and more information about other architectural programs and options within US as well as abroad.

Emmanuel

I wish I had known about the campus life: it's not the most active campus there is, thus making it a little disappointing. However, I wish I had found out sooner about their program called International Entrepreneurship Academy, IEA. IEA is a great program that gives students chances to go into entrepreneurship while they are in school. I also wished I have known about their minors.

The quality of social life here is less than it is at a community college.

I wish I had known how difficult it is to be a transfer student in a 4-year university. Upperclassmen tend to already have the friends they want, so it can be really hard to meet new people. I also wish I were more familiar with the surrounding area. It would have helped the transition go much more smoothly.

There are no intramural sports. There is nobody interested in starting them. The social atmoshphere is dismal.

I wish high school had prepared me better for the intense work load and for critical reading. I feel I missed out on learning a few study/ learning skills.

Keenan

I wish I had known many things before I came to this school. First, and certainly the most important, is the fact that the entire administration at this school is a complete joke because they do not have the best interests of the students in mind when they make decisions. The next thing I wish I would have known is how boring and dead the campus was, and along with that, how awkward everyone is. Is it normal to see at least 5 people walking and talking to themselves per day? I would certainly hope not!

Nothing, I'm pretty happy with it!