Normal, IL
Illinois State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Maggie

My classmates are passionate about using their education to improve their current and future communities.

Be all in. Join every club that interests you, but only stick with the ones you love. Say hello to strangers, they might be your best friends tomorrow. Smile even when you don't feel like it, because one day you'll realize these really were the best years of your life. Talk to your professors. They're a well of practical knowledge that you can't get from textbooks. Follow your instincts. You don't have to know what you want to do with your life, just start with what you want to learn. Don't be afraid to change your major. Figure out what and who you believe in. It's important. Be with people who push you to be better and do better. If your dreams don't scare you, dream bigger. Don't be content with living a good life. Prepare yourself to live a great one.

The best thing about Illinois State University is the sense of community. The students have drive to form meaningful and lasting relationships, and do so through organizations that improve the community both on campus and off campus.

Madeline

Illinois State is a welcoming, exciting place to atttend. With so many students, the opportunities are endless, but yet there's still a small school feel that makes it very easy to get to know professors and customize your education.

Trust your gut. High School Senior Madeline questioned everything. She questioned what others thought of her. She questioned whether or not she was making the right decisions, and she questioned what she wanted for herself. However, in retrospect I knew that this old version of Madeline knew what she wanted. I was once so consumed with making the "perfect" choices that I ignored the only thing that could guide me in making all my decisions: my gut. Having completed a semester in college, I've learned that I know what I want, and when faced with tough choices, I learned to take a breath, think about what I wanted out of my college experience, and realized I knew exactly what to choose. Whether the choices affected my relationships, academics, or my extracurriculars didn't matter. College is a time to figure out who I am. In keeping with that, I have to trust that my gut feeling will guide me in the way I'm supposed to go, allow me to learn from my mistakes, and enjoy what the next four years have to offer me.

I wish I would have known just how many opporunities were avialable at ISU. I started college with an idea of what I wanted to do unaware that I could do so much more at Illinois State.

Ethan

I wish I had known that applying myself in high school would lead to life being easier in college. My problem in high school was I never fully applied myself in areas where I should have. I could have earned the grades that would earn me scholarships and lessen the finanicial burden when the time came to attend college but I just waltzed through high school without a care in the world. Now I have to work even harder today to undo my mistakes from yesterday.

The best thing about Illinois State University is without a doubt the education program. The school itself was founded in 1859 with the sole purpose of preparing future teachers and that commitment to excellence has not wavered since. ISU has remained a top ten college in the country for producing top quality teachers and today's graduates are having no trouble finding employment. Some employers have said that the average first year teacher with an Illinois State degree has the experience and skills of a second year teacher. I am in the right place to earn my degree.

Luke

Life is about to get weird. People are gonna be a lot different than you, and are going to be in your face about it on occassion. You don't have to give in to peer pressure, but don't be afraid to have a good time. Make sure to call Mom and Nana every two weeks or so. Make sure to get a job on campus, because you'll need all the help you can get. College is a sink or swim environment, where the people high up don't care if you sink; as long as they get their monthly pound of flesh, they'll "support" you. But hey, Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

My school is one of the best colleges for potential teachers, particularly teachers who are going into early childhood or elementary education.

As it is with any college, it is expensive. The in-state tuition is not astronomically high, but it is too high for someone to afford without the use of private bank loans.

Emilia

It has a very "homey" feeling about it. Even though students are away from home and are missing their families, there are opportunities for students to find their second families around campus. The school makes you feel close and that it's okay to be away from your parents.

Work harder. Get a better GPA. Study constantly till you get that A. The ACT is no joke, study for it and try your hardest. Make wise choices and your education in high school really does determine your life so act like your straight A's is all that matters.

The most frustrating thing about school has to be some of the options for breakfast and dinner. Sometimes people just want to eat healthy and the healthy options those days aren't the greatest. Overall though, Illinois State has the best food from any other college that I heard about.

Peyton

The courses I am currently in are mostly general education courses which allow for students with all levels of determination and drive, with that being said there are many hardworking students, like myself that strive to do the best on every assignment or exam they are given.

If I were to go back in time to give high school me advice, I would tell myself to do what I love to do. I have recently been looking back and realizing that I was wasting a lot of my time taking class in school that did not interest me. I wish I could have taken other classes that were more appealing to me rather than taking what my family and friends recommended for me to take. Looking back on high school, I really did prepare myself for college by knowing what I am interested in. Throughout high school I completed every business course my school had to offer. After taking those courses I realized that I loved the business industry and want to work in some aspect of it after college.

There are many things that can frustrate a student at Illinois State University, but many in my opinion are positive. The biggest frustration I get at ISU is that there are so many upper level classes I would like to enroll in right now but am unable to because of prerequisites and general education courses. Though this can be irritating, the way I am going about getting to those courses sooner is I am currently taking 18 credit hours this semester and plan to take 6 credit hours of online courses over this upcoming summer so I can get ahead.

Stephen

Best known for its positive atmosphere. The community is very friendly.

Best known for its positive atmosphere. The community is very friendly.

I would tell myself that all great things take time. The person that I am now in highschool, is not the person I will be when I am older. I was not happy with myself when i was in highschool. I was unmotivated and didn't have a plan for my future. I would tell myself that before I worry about my future, I should work on myself. I should become a better person and persue my interest. Anything worth having is worth working for. Good things will come my way but not all at once.

I wish I would have known how great this school was. I never knew it could be such a great school with such a friendly student body. It was very unexpected

Cedric

The only advice I would try to give myself is to not worry about anything, that I am still young and have time to find myself and who I want to be.

I would consider the amount of diversity at my school the best thing about it.

I don't believe that any certain type of person should not attend this school. Anyone can be successful here or at any school if they just put their mind towards it.

Abaigeal

If I could give my senior-self advice from the perspective I now currently have, there are quite a few things I would tell myself, however one piece of advice holds most important. I would tell my senior-self that sticking to your values and remaining true to yourself is more than possible and more than worth it. When I was a senior, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find anyone who shared my faith-based morals, such as remaining abstinent and avoiding the party scene. I was convinced I would be alone in my stand against the popular culture, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that not every college student's focus is drinking and partying. I am involved with a campus church called Encounter at ISU and have surrounded myself with other people just like me. On the weekends, instead of feeling the pressure to party, I enjoy just watching movies and spending quality time with my friends from Encounter. Because I have surrounded myself with these wonderful individuals, remaining true to myself is easier than ever, and I couldn't be more happy with my college experience.

Although it is pretty difficult figuring out a bad characteristic of Illinois State University, I think the worst thing about the university is the internet availability. It does not cause problems often, but there have been some occasions when the internet is not available to students in the resident halls or in the recreational center. This is quite the nuisance when a student is attempting to complete online course work or, like any typical college student, watch Netflix.

Before attending Illinois State University, I wish I had known how much studying obtaining a good GPA would entail. In high school, I was typically able to maintain straight A's with minimal studying. However at ISU, I had to study at least three hours each day in order to earn my 4.0 GPA. Although I am willing to put in the amount of work necessary for my academic success, I wish I had developed the study ethic required for college success in high school.

Kendra

There is time for work and there is time for play you need to understand the difference. Study hard so that when it is time to play you can enjoy it. Do not be afraid to try new things or meet new people. The sky is the limit. The only thing ever holding you back is yourself. If people don't chase you when you walk away keep walking.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the liter after one weekend. Unfortunatley after the weekends there is a lot of liter outside of the apartment complexes and on the quad. I wish there were more accessable garbage cans so that there wasn't as much liter laying around.

The worst thing about my school is that they don't shovel/plow enough in the winter which makes walking to class difficult.

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.