Normal, IL
Illinois State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Peyton

The courses I am currently in are mostly general education courses which allow for students with all levels of determination and drive, with that being said there are many hardworking students, like myself that strive to do the best on every assignment or exam they are given.

If I were to go back in time to give high school me advice, I would tell myself to do what I love to do. I have recently been looking back and realizing that I was wasting a lot of my time taking class in school that did not interest me. I wish I could have taken other classes that were more appealing to me rather than taking what my family and friends recommended for me to take. Looking back on high school, I really did prepare myself for college by knowing what I am interested in. Throughout high school I completed every business course my school had to offer. After taking those courses I realized that I loved the business industry and want to work in some aspect of it after college.

There are many things that can frustrate a student at Illinois State University, but many in my opinion are positive. The biggest frustration I get at ISU is that there are so many upper level classes I would like to enroll in right now but am unable to because of prerequisites and general education courses. Though this can be irritating, the way I am going about getting to those courses sooner is I am currently taking 18 credit hours this semester and plan to take 6 credit hours of online courses over this upcoming summer so I can get ahead.

Stephen

Best known for its positive atmosphere. The community is very friendly.

Best known for its positive atmosphere. The community is very friendly.

I would tell myself that all great things take time. The person that I am now in highschool, is not the person I will be when I am older. I was not happy with myself when i was in highschool. I was unmotivated and didn't have a plan for my future. I would tell myself that before I worry about my future, I should work on myself. I should become a better person and persue my interest. Anything worth having is worth working for. Good things will come my way but not all at once.

I wish I would have known how great this school was. I never knew it could be such a great school with such a friendly student body. It was very unexpected

Cedric

The only advice I would try to give myself is to not worry about anything, that I am still young and have time to find myself and who I want to be.

I would consider the amount of diversity at my school the best thing about it.

I don't believe that any certain type of person should not attend this school. Anyone can be successful here or at any school if they just put their mind towards it.

Abaigeal

If I could give my senior-self advice from the perspective I now currently have, there are quite a few things I would tell myself, however one piece of advice holds most important. I would tell my senior-self that sticking to your values and remaining true to yourself is more than possible and more than worth it. When I was a senior, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find anyone who shared my faith-based morals, such as remaining abstinent and avoiding the party scene. I was convinced I would be alone in my stand against the popular culture, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that not every college student's focus is drinking and partying. I am involved with a campus church called Encounter at ISU and have surrounded myself with other people just like me. On the weekends, instead of feeling the pressure to party, I enjoy just watching movies and spending quality time with my friends from Encounter. Because I have surrounded myself with these wonderful individuals, remaining true to myself is easier than ever, and I couldn't be more happy with my college experience.

Before attending Illinois State University, I wish I had known how much studying obtaining a good GPA would entail. In high school, I was typically able to maintain straight A's with minimal studying. However at ISU, I had to study at least three hours each day in order to earn my 4.0 GPA. Although I am willing to put in the amount of work necessary for my academic success, I wish I had developed the study ethic required for college success in high school.

Although it is pretty difficult figuring out a bad characteristic of Illinois State University, I think the worst thing about the university is the internet availability. It does not cause problems often, but there have been some occasions when the internet is not available to students in the resident halls or in the recreational center. This is quite the nuisance when a student is attempting to complete online course work or, like any typical college student, watch Netflix.

Kendra

There is time for work and there is time for play you need to understand the difference. Study hard so that when it is time to play you can enjoy it. Do not be afraid to try new things or meet new people. The sky is the limit. The only thing ever holding you back is yourself. If people don't chase you when you walk away keep walking.

The worst thing about my school is that they don't shovel/plow enough in the winter which makes walking to class difficult.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the liter after one weekend. Unfortunatley after the weekends there is a lot of liter outside of the apartment complexes and on the quad. I wish there were more accessable garbage cans so that there wasn't as much liter laying around.

Quiance

My classmates are vibrant, enthusiastic and goal driven individuals who make the college experience even more worth while.

My school is best known for firstly being the oldest university in Illinois and also being one of the top schools in the country for education majors.

Some good advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to become more disciplined. As a senior in high school I admit that I slacked off becuase I felt I was in great standing as a student preparing to graduate in the top 10% of my class. I would return to tell myself that the top 10% of my school is only a very small sampling in comparison to a university, and that I will need to work extremely hard to keep up with the top in a very large university. More avid advice would be to do more research on colleges and become well aquainted with the new responsibilities being bestowed upon me. One of the hardest things to grasp, that is not taught in high school, is the proccess of applying for and receiving financial student aid. The last bit of information I would provide is to follow your dream and do not attempt to please your parents by choosing a major that could possibly net a high salary. This is probably the most important because no matter what, your destiny will always keep you around your purpose.

christina

Illinois State Univeristy is known for its great nursing and teaching programs. Most people I know are an education major of somesort, or in the nursing field. It also is known for being the first teaching college in the state.

If I had the chance to go back in time to talk to my highschool self, I would say to not worry so much. The small problems you face in high school with friends, family, or even school work will not matter in a year. The only thing you should focus on is getting the grades you need to succeed and maintaining a positive attitiude towards everything that comes your way. I would tell myself that it may be frightening to leave your life behind and start over once you're in college, but it will be the best thing to ever happen to you. You should also make smart decisions at all times. Anything you do will affect your future in some way. College is not something to fear, it's an oppurtunity to find yourself and make something of your life. Find something you love and pursue it and do not let anyone or anything get in the way of it.

There are a lot of different types of people at my school. Someone who wants a big college feel with a lot of social events should not attend this school. It is also not a school with thousands of people. It has a medium population. If someone wants a big school with a big campus and crazy events, this school is not for them.

Kelly

My classmates range from quite to enthusiastic, but all of them are willing to listen to eveyones thoughts.

If I could go back and tell my high school senior self about college life is that it is not as hard as high school teacheres make it seem. You know how to manage your time, you will do fine. Do not forget to spread your studying out because filling one night with studying is not going to help you.

I wish that I knew that it is okay to ask people for help, no matter how small, because everyone has been in my shoes and know that people need help sometimes.

Sydney

I brag that I have a double major in Political Science and Philosophy, because it sounds sophisticated and intelligent. But about the school itself--not much. I just haven't had enough experiences with the school yet.

I don't know, I haven't actually started my classes yet. I just transferred from the local community college. My personal experiences with the school are limited, and other information on the school I've drawn from friends who attend already.

Breana

Although many other colleges have a lot of school spirit, I feel like at ISU we never give up on our teams no matter what their win-lose record is. Football and men's basketball usually attract the most people, and the fans are always great. As a member of the marching band, it's always fun to play our fight song to get the fans into the game.

If I could go back and give my high school senior self advice about college, I would tell myself things to make the transition easier and more fun. The first thing I would tell myself would be to take one or two general education classes at a local community college during the summer before college to get ahead and possibly graduate early. As of now, I am set to graduate on time in four years in May 2016. For me, the transition into college life wasn't too difficult mostly because I was in marching band and I had no choice but to meet new people. There are a few other things that I would tell myself to do differently going into my freshman year of college: Don't be afraid to meet new people. Almost everyone is away from home and in the same boat of transitioning. On the topic of new people, if you have a roommate talk to them. Ask them to get lunch or dinner with you. Also, don't worry about being away from home for long periods of time, just stay busy with your school work and other school functions.

I usually brag about the size of the campus and how beautiful it is. The very first time my family and I went on a tour at Illinois State University, we all fell in love with the campus and liked how student friendly it is. I would say about 85 percent to 90 percent of the academic buildings are on, what we call, The Quad. Pretty much everything on campus is in walking distance, from the dorms, the library, and the student center.

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.