Normal, IL
Illinois State University

Video courtesy of Illinois State University.

Founded in 1857, Illinois State University was the first public university in the state and is one of the Midwest’s oldest institutions of higher education. It is a coeducational, residential university.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

Fixed  rate loan

Destiny

Illinois State University is best known for its legacy of teaching students to become teachers. ISU originated as a normal school (an institution that trains teachers) and it now continues to uphold its history by ranking among the top ten teaching schools in the nation. The school's motto is even "gladly we learn and teach", further proving the school's concrete dedication to making certain that our future will include enough qualified and motivated teachers to educate the coming generations. The school's devotion to creating teachers seems very relevant and hopeful in the world today!

Dear senior self, Quit worrying! College will be easier than you think. Don’t fret over making friends or the grades. They’ll come through skills you learned in high school: a little time management and studying. Instead, occupy yourself with taking all the opportunities offered to you! College is positively teeming with them and they don’t always reside where you think they might. Fill your days so you can learn and experience as much as possible in your time as an undergraduate student! Take advantage of your youthfulness! Include in your (hopefully) full schedule a job or two relevant to your major. College is certainly an investment in your future, but it doesn’t have to become a mountainous economic obstacle looming on your path to the future. Plus, your resume will be your most precious asset when searching for your dream job; feed it, love it and help it to grow! Lastly, make real connections with your professors and mentors. They are probably brilliant—within your area of study! (Remember, a good first impression goes a long way.) Use your newly-found freedom to make something of yourself. It’s your turn to achieve greatness. College self

ISU frustrates me because the school should expect more from their students. For example, out of 20,000+ total students, only 300 are in the university's honors program. It takes a few years for each incoming class to realize the full meaning behind attending college and obtaining a degree: college isn't one big party or a continuation of high school; it's the beginning of a life-long jouney. I think that with a little push from the university the students at Illinois State could reach far beyond their expected potential and make fantastic contributions to society.

Kat

Kat, you don't even know you will become "Kat," but embrace your new persona. Don't ever be worried about moving from smalltown roots to a bigger college. You will flourish there. You will find a home there. Illinois State will show you how to be the best teacher, bilingual learner, employee, friend, and woman you can be. Campus may seem huge and different, but home is never far away. Embrace the people in your dorm/apartment. Embrace the random events that you may not "feel like" attending. You will meet incredible people who you will love, and they will love you too, and quickly. If an opportunity arises to do something a little crazy, crazy in a good sense, don't hesitate. You will find confidence and strength in your academic abilities. You will find the strongest friendship and the truest love imaginable. College WILL BE the greatest years of your life. Don't shy away from something that intrigues you. Constantly work to better yourself physically mentally, spiritually, and socially; those are your home bases, so don't neglect a single one. You are capable of greatness, and you will achieve it.

Illinois State could not have given me a better experience, academically and socially! I became a functioning adult, confident in handling money and professional situations. I made friendships that will no doubt last the rest of my lifetime, as we still see each other frequently post-graduation. We had so many bonding experiences that wouldn't be paralleled at other schools. I also learned more about my academic field than anticipated, which fuels my excitement for a future career! For four years, I received nothing but great advising, intellectual and wise guidance from professors, and open arms from the community.

I couldn't answer this questions. A socialite will feel right at home, as well the video game hermit, eccentric artist, and die-hard footballer. Illinois State has a way of taking every personality and showing them a group to bond with and providing the confidence to branch out to explore. I have seen the best of so many people brought out at this school!

Olivia

Whatever you do, do not take a break after high school. You will deeply regret it and it really sucks seeing all of your friends in college while you are stuck working a full time job and doing nothing with your life. Start college as soon as you graduate even if it means less time hanging out with your friends. Do not go crazy if you have not decided your major yet; many people change their majors and minors multiple times throughout college. The best thing is to take your time and take everything one step at a time. Keep the long term goal in mind, but make short term goals and complete one at a time. This way you will not overwhelm yourself. Another great piece of advice is to apply for scholarships all through senior year and beyond. You may not think you will win a scholarship, but it does not hurt to keep trying. Take a deep breathe, take one step, and continue on your path. Everything will be alright, so stay calm.

jessica

Teaching and business majors. And the pub II :)

Teaching and business majors. And the pub II :)

Find something to get involved in and study abroad

I wish I had known about the cost and about how important it is to get involved in something you're interested in to meet friends

Ryan

i would tell myself to make sure you stay on top of your homework, and to not be lazy. thats my biggest set back, and it is showing in my grades. go to all classes, study enough, and do your homework and you should be fine.

the bet thing by far here is the campus life, and how involved everyone is. the second it is a nice day out, veryone and theyre brother comes outside, and theres an electricity in the air that i havent felt before.

Sometimes the distance to classes is ridiculous, its like you walk a mile for a class that is 50 minutes long.2

Devan

If I could go back in time and talk to my self as a senior I would say, "Devan! First, hug everyone you love because you don't know it right now, but things are going to happen and not all of them will be there in a year. The pain you will experience from the loss of your friend and step-mom will never go away, but it is up to you to use your experience to help others in the same situation. Things do get better. Second, enjoy high school because once you leave you can never go back. Finally, college is not just about going off to a nice university, having fun or how cool it looks to other people. Follow your heart and go where you think you will thrive. College is a time to grow into the person who will make you and your loved ones proud. It's the chance to mold yourself into the kind of person who can change the world some day. Go to the school that will do that for you, not just the cheapest, closest or most convienent."

I brag that I have found six of the most amazing girls to be friends with.

The most frustrating thing about ISU is the way people can act. It is a big university and people do not take the time to get to know one another

ASIA

What’s unique about Illinois State compared to others is the city that it’s located. Normal is far different from my hometown and other schools considered! It’s not congested with working professionals nor is it a ghost town. Illinois State alone almost makes up for the entire activity within the city. Many of the surrounding businesses are catered to the college students. Also, the town of Bloomington is right up the street that’s booming with many businesses, malls, movies and restaurants in case the students want to get away for a big city feel!

As the first in the family to attend college, there’s a lot of expectation for you to do great. You have no direct guidance from family so that means to empower yourself! All the resources are at your fingertips! During the summer after high school graduation, make sure you research campus groups so you will be familiar with the organizations that fit your hobbies/interests. I even encourage you to join one! Make contact with your roommate and plan to attend/meet at the incoming freshmen orientation during the summer so it’s not too awkward on day one. On campus: BE CALM, find a campus map, walk around and ask questions! There will be people from all over the world so prepare to be shocked but adapt and adjust! It’s not uncommon to be homesick. If you need to, cry or call supportive family/friends but don’t go home every weekend! Meet new people, go to class, study A LOT, establish a strong GPA, avoid academic probation, find your passion and most importantly, PRAY! College WILL BE overwhelming and hard work at times! Prepare yourself for the challenge; it will be worth it in the end!

The best thing about my school is the proximity of diversity within the school. As a black woman from Chicago, I was not used to being around that many people that were different from me. Through my outgoing personality and the opportunities in the dorms, classes, and registered student organizations; I was able to really engage in a new atmosphere that has allowed me to get along and understand people and their differences better. I am now a better leader and communicator with people of all backgrounds instead of just my own! Thanks Illinois State!

Rachael

For me personally, I think that I did well transitioning from high school to college. I work an a camp all summer and not home at all during the summer, so the transition was easier for me than most. I would recommend not going home very often during the first semester because the weekends are when you meet people and have fun. Also, get homework, projects, papers, etc. all organized and sorted out during the first week. When they are all placed on a calender, it is easier to keep track of when tests are, or when projects are due. Learning how to be organized and figuring out what organizational style works best for you, is vital during your freshman year in college.

I brag about the campus ministry that I am apart of. I have found a great community through it, and it is what I look forward to every week. It is also where my close friends are.

There was a anti smoking law that was just past, yet it is not being enforced. Also, there are a lot of parties that go on every weekend, not only off campus, but in the dorms. I wish that there was more regulations when it came to smoking and partying on campus.

Kimberley

My classmates in my gen-ed classes tend to be lazy while the students in my major tend to be more driven.

If I had the option to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to start working on campaigns sooner. If I started working on campaigns in the Fall Semester, especially the Presidential campaigns, I would have developed a more diverse understanding of the major I am in. I understand my major very much, but I feel like if I would have gotten more involved the experience would have given me a larger boost of knowledge.

The best thing about my school is diversity. By diversity I refer to the people, the classes, and the events that my school offers. There are a large variety of people that attend my school; with that variety of people it is easier to meet new people and make new friends. There is also a large array of classes to take, and the school offers many university sanctioned events that make the experience here worthwhile.

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.