Normal, IL
Illinois State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

Additional Loan Options

Olivia

Whatever you do, do not take a break after high school. You will deeply regret it and it really sucks seeing all of your friends in college while you are stuck working a full time job and doing nothing with your life. Start college as soon as you graduate even if it means less time hanging out with your friends. Do not go crazy if you have not decided your major yet; many people change their majors and minors multiple times throughout college. The best thing is to take your time and take everything one step at a time. Keep the long term goal in mind, but make short term goals and complete one at a time. This way you will not overwhelm yourself. Another great piece of advice is to apply for scholarships all through senior year and beyond. You may not think you will win a scholarship, but it does not hurt to keep trying. Take a deep breathe, take one step, and continue on your path. Everything will be alright, so stay calm.

jessica

Teaching and business majors. And the pub II :)

Teaching and business majors. And the pub II :)

Find something to get involved in and study abroad

I wish I had known about the cost and about how important it is to get involved in something you're interested in to meet friends

Ryan

i would tell myself to make sure you stay on top of your homework, and to not be lazy. thats my biggest set back, and it is showing in my grades. go to all classes, study enough, and do your homework and you should be fine.

the bet thing by far here is the campus life, and how involved everyone is. the second it is a nice day out, veryone and theyre brother comes outside, and theres an electricity in the air that i havent felt before.

Sometimes the distance to classes is ridiculous, its like you walk a mile for a class that is 50 minutes long.2

Devan

If I could go back in time and talk to my self as a senior I would say, "Devan! First, hug everyone you love because you don't know it right now, but things are going to happen and not all of them will be there in a year. The pain you will experience from the loss of your friend and step-mom will never go away, but it is up to you to use your experience to help others in the same situation. Things do get better. Second, enjoy high school because once you leave you can never go back. Finally, college is not just about going off to a nice university, having fun or how cool it looks to other people. Follow your heart and go where you think you will thrive. College is a time to grow into the person who will make you and your loved ones proud. It's the chance to mold yourself into the kind of person who can change the world some day. Go to the school that will do that for you, not just the cheapest, closest or most convienent."

I brag that I have found six of the most amazing girls to be friends with.

The most frustrating thing about ISU is the way people can act. It is a big university and people do not take the time to get to know one another

ASIA

What’s unique about Illinois State compared to others is the city that it’s located. Normal is far different from my hometown and other schools considered! It’s not congested with working professionals nor is it a ghost town. Illinois State alone almost makes up for the entire activity within the city. Many of the surrounding businesses are catered to the college students. Also, the town of Bloomington is right up the street that’s booming with many businesses, malls, movies and restaurants in case the students want to get away for a big city feel!

As the first in the family to attend college, there’s a lot of expectation for you to do great. You have no direct guidance from family so that means to empower yourself! All the resources are at your fingertips! During the summer after high school graduation, make sure you research campus groups so you will be familiar with the organizations that fit your hobbies/interests. I even encourage you to join one! Make contact with your roommate and plan to attend/meet at the incoming freshmen orientation during the summer so it’s not too awkward on day one. On campus: BE CALM, find a campus map, walk around and ask questions! There will be people from all over the world so prepare to be shocked but adapt and adjust! It’s not uncommon to be homesick. If you need to, cry or call supportive family/friends but don’t go home every weekend! Meet new people, go to class, study A LOT, establish a strong GPA, avoid academic probation, find your passion and most importantly, PRAY! College WILL BE overwhelming and hard work at times! Prepare yourself for the challenge; it will be worth it in the end!

The best thing about my school is the proximity of diversity within the school. As a black woman from Chicago, I was not used to being around that many people that were different from me. Through my outgoing personality and the opportunities in the dorms, classes, and registered student organizations; I was able to really engage in a new atmosphere that has allowed me to get along and understand people and their differences better. I am now a better leader and communicator with people of all backgrounds instead of just my own! Thanks Illinois State!

Rachael

For me personally, I think that I did well transitioning from high school to college. I work an a camp all summer and not home at all during the summer, so the transition was easier for me than most. I would recommend not going home very often during the first semester because the weekends are when you meet people and have fun. Also, get homework, projects, papers, etc. all organized and sorted out during the first week. When they are all placed on a calender, it is easier to keep track of when tests are, or when projects are due. Learning how to be organized and figuring out what organizational style works best for you, is vital during your freshman year in college.

I brag about the campus ministry that I am apart of. I have found a great community through it, and it is what I look forward to every week. It is also where my close friends are.

There was a anti smoking law that was just past, yet it is not being enforced. Also, there are a lot of parties that go on every weekend, not only off campus, but in the dorms. I wish that there was more regulations when it came to smoking and partying on campus.

Kimberley

My classmates in my gen-ed classes tend to be lazy while the students in my major tend to be more driven.

If I had the option to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to start working on campaigns sooner. If I started working on campaigns in the Fall Semester, especially the Presidential campaigns, I would have developed a more diverse understanding of the major I am in. I understand my major very much, but I feel like if I would have gotten more involved the experience would have given me a larger boost of knowledge.

The best thing about my school is diversity. By diversity I refer to the people, the classes, and the events that my school offers. There are a large variety of people that attend my school; with that variety of people it is easier to meet new people and make new friends. There is also a large array of classes to take, and the school offers many university sanctioned events that make the experience here worthwhile.

Melissa

Illinois State University is unique considered to other schools I visited because even though there are 25,000 kids that attend the University, the campus is relatively small. All the academic buildings are close together and very easy to find. It did not take long to learn my way around te campus compared to other campuses.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to not give in to "senioritis". I wouldn't slack as much as I did because those study habits carry over to college. I would tell myself to stay focused and 100% effort on everything I do. I would also tell myself to get involved. I should have joind clubs or activities my senior year in order to stay active and busy. It would have looked better on my applications and would have given me so much more experience and probably a better outlook on life. I wish I would have focused more on my studies than I did on my social life. In the end, your studies are what matter most. Your friends won't be there for you when you don't succeed in school.

The most frustrating thing about Illinois State University are their dorms. The dorm I live in is called Watterson Towers, and is 28 floors. All the dorms on my campus have over 20 floors. It is frustrating trying to get an elevator and is also frustrating because there are dorms completely across campus. This means it takes people who live in that dorm at least 15 minutes to walk to class.

Angela

I love this school! It's in a community that is very friendly. There are two other colleges nearby, so some RSOs are connected with them also. Not a day goes by that I don't meet somebody new. The campus has a great "small" atmosphere. You can definitely get to know the "6 degrees of difference" here :) There are always activities happening, whether sports related or research related. There is so much variety!

I really wish somebody would have emphasized to me that life is a roller coaster and that not everybody settles with a career. I came in to college have a pretty set plan as to what I wanted to do with my life. However, with certain life events, I am now not sure what I even WANT to do. I don't have the money for grad school- which is what I've been working towards for a long time- and I am feeling more confident with just finding a job (not a career).

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I am a senior now, and I feel I have changed a lot: socially and academically since my first day as a freshman. College is all about discovering who you are away from home. With that, you learn a lot about yourself and change whatever you need to :)

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

Call home as many times as you want! I phone my mother every day. She's like my best friend, so I have no shame in calling her everyday. I call my dad about one or two times a month, just to let him know I'm doing well.

What do people really wear to class?

Clothes. Some people who are business majors will wear their business suits all day long to every class. Some people literally roll out of bed right before class and show up in their pajamas. Most people wear whatever they are comfortable with wearing.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

I am finishing up my senior year at college and still have not attended a stereotypical "college party." The parties don't appeal to me. However, I have gone to "get togethers" with friends, and there was drinking, but I never participated with drinking until I had turned 21. If you find the right crowd to hang out with, and they respect you, you'll have no problem going to parties.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing during freshman year is learning to manage your time. College is different than high school. In high school, the teachers tell you on a daily basis when certain assignments are assigned and due. Not the case in college. On the first day, professors give you the syllabus of the semester, and expect you to follow it. Sometimes, professors will remember to remind you when assignments are due, but not that often. You have to manage your time to keep up to date on the syllabus as well as everything else you're involved in.

What's the Greek scene like?

There are many fraternities and sororities on campus. They are all of different types: community service based, honors based, and social based. I am not involved in the Greek scene. I was inducted into a honor's fraternity my freshman year, Alpha Lambda Delta. However, this fraternity was discontinued on our campus because they couldn't find a new adviser for it. If you have more questions about the Greek scene, I could find that information via ISU's website and/or friends. Also, I must mention that I am not a huge fan of the Greek life. Unfortunately, on the weekends parties get busted quite often. And there is foul play at some fraternities. Last spring, a frat house burned to the ground, and the cause was a fire which started in the attic, but they weren't sure how it started. And I know a couple years ago, a frat was banned from campus because they had a "rape room" in their house. I understand not all fraternities are like this, but you need to be really careful when deciding what Greek house you want to party at, and if you want to join a fraternity/sorority, be sure you know what they are all about before making your decision.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Illinois State University is located in Normal, IL, which is the northern part of Central IL. The town of Normal has a population of about 75,000, so it is a decent size. It allows for a peaceful campus town, as well as a town full of opportunities (internships and volunteering). ISU is normally (no pun intended) credited for its education programs for future teachers. While I was in high school (3 years ago), I heard a statistic that one out of ten teachers in the nation (or state of IL; now I can't remember) graduated from Illinois State University. ISU has so much to offer! From a large number of choices of majors to a seemingly endless list of activities. The campus of ISU is smaller than most. We have a quad that is used for many activities including: concerts, ultimate frisbee practice, other sports practices, quidditch (ISU has their own team!), sitting quietly and reading, writing, or making artwork. It is a beautiful campus too :)

As I said, I haven't heard of any stereotypes, so I cannot be sure if the ones that are out there are even true...

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Most of the "issues" discussed on campus deal with the individual. A lot of these issues deal with mental health- depression, eating disorders, rape (trauma) victimization and prevention. There are other campaigns that go on about the GBLT population. These campaigns usually just let everyone aware that everybody has a choice, and that they shouldn't be given a hard time because of their choice. Illinois State University does care about what you are going through, and the Student Health Services are always putting stuff out there (fliers and activiites) to reach students to let them know they are not alone, and there is always help. ISU is also very good at being informative to always step in to "save the day." And it is evident students are learning and taking advantage of this. Students are always using the "buddy system" when they go out. Also, there is the "safe patrol" or something along those lines- you can call ISU PD to get somebody to walk you back to your dorm or to a campus location late at night.

The town of Normal, IL was actually given it's name because of ISU. ISU used to be known as Illinois State Normal University. "Normal" meaning it was a teacher's college. Today, ISU is still widely known for its education departments and preparing individuals to be great teachers :)

It is my third year here at ISU, and I, personally, have not heard any "stereotypes" of the students here.

of anything. College is the time to grow and find yourself. Try not to fall too much into the party scene- I have seen countless number of people get too caught up in the party scene and then get on academic probation, it wastes time and money in the long run. Don't be afraid to ask professors questions about *anything*! Maybe they do research on something that you've never heard of before and what they share with you turns out to be what you desire in your life. Get involved with student organizations! It's a great way to meet people, and to stregthen your skills and abilities. If the school you attend (so this goes out to all starting Freshmen) does not have a student organization you're interested in, don't be afraid to start your own. Specifically for ISU, pay attention at the summer orientation... there's some valuable information there.

What are the most popular classes offered?

Illinois State University is known for it's education department. Therefore, education classes are the most popular. Though, there are other departments that are popular. The psychology department is pretty big, so these classes are semi-popular. The school of nursing at Illinois State is growing, so these classes are becoming more popular. Other than that, there are many types of classes that can be taken as electives: chemistry, physics, math, English, business, history, kinesiology and recreation, sociology, philosophy, computer science, and many others.

This campus is great! There are so many cool facts about it too :) The 11th floor of the resicence hall known as Atkin (where I live!!) is in the top 10 haunted places in the state of IL. One of the academic buildings is known to be haunted by a former librarian. Illinois State University was the first public state university in Illinois, founded in 1857. Watterson Towers (residence halls) are the tallest buildings between Chicago and St. Louis. These towers are also the tallest residence halls in the state of IL.

Everyday at lunch time (noon) speakers around campus blast with the school song! I love it. I have much school pride, and sometimes I will sing along with music coming out of the speakers. You can be walking across the quad to meet somebody for lunch and hear this song and a smile comes to your face.

What do students complain about most?

I really haven't heard people complain about the school while I've been here, and I have nothing to complain about.

What's the dating scene like?

This question I don't really know how to answer. I know a lot of older couples that say that they found their sweetheart in college. I have seen people here on campus that seem to be with the person that they will be with for the rest of their lives, and I know some met eachother either through a class or a social activity. I believe that on Illinois State's campus there is an equal amount of single men and women and couples.

Describe a typical weekend.

Weekends here at ISU can be fun or boring. Sometimes you have to catch up on homework and spend your weekend doing that. However, most weekends you are presented with many social activities to participate in. Quite a few students leave on the weekends to go home, so your floor will be quieter than normal. Although, I do not have a job while attending ISU, I plan to next semester, and my weekends will most likely be my time to work. So, the weekends at ISU are really whatever you can make of them :-)

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

I will never forget the night that all of ISU celebrated the nation's victory over Bin Laden. Students were marching in the streets and signing the National Anthem! This celebration was huge! I remember I looked out my window and saw Main Street FILLED with people and hearing singing! I didn't participate because it was late at night, and I had an early class the next morning, but I heard some friends tell me that it was a pretty awesome experience. Several thousand students joined together to express their love for their country, and to celebrate a victory of being free from our worst enemy at the time.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

The best part of the social scene is that there are so much offered. We have over 200 registered student organizations. There is always something to do and so many people to meet. Social get-togethers are found all throughout campus. There are even opportunities for you to set up your own student organization! All you have to do is go to the Student Involvement Center, and they can help you set up a brand new organization! :-) The worst part would probably have to be the crime on campus. There isn't much, but the type of crimes can get some people nervous. This is my 3rd year at ISU, and I can say that I have only received less than 15 crime advisory emails from the ISU police department (each time a student calls and reports a crime, the PD sends out a report to the whole campus). The types of crimes I have read about are people getting mugged around campus. There have also been "break-ins" at dorms and apartments that people failed to lock their doors. However, I find ISU to be one of the safest universities. Along the quad we have "blue towers" that you can run to and press the button, and within 3-5 minutes the police department will show up. ISU has access to their own personal police deparment, the Normal-Bloomington police department, and the McLean county police department. Due to this, I believe this campus is one of the safest.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

hmm... I decided to go to Illinois State University for several reasons. I loved the atmosphere here when I had first visited. I liked what I heard about the psychology and social work departments (the social work department offers a 5-year Master's program). I also liked the small feel, yet big enough university (there's 17,000 students, but once you get to know people, it seems smaller!). Majority of my life, I thought I was going to go to University of Illinois at Champaign, but once visiting, I decided it was too big for me. I came to Illinois State University for a class field trip once, and fell in love with the university.

Illinois State University is a smaller campus. You can walk from one end of campus to ther other in about ten minutes. There are several areas of residence halls. There is a beautiful quad where students can study, play games, and take pictures. The grounds committee does very well maintaining the quad's appearance. The quad is full of trees, one of every type of tree found in Illinois can be found on Illinois State University's campus. The quad is surrounded by academic buildings, so the setting feels like a small school. Two laps around the quad equals one mile. We have a castle on campus!! Illiniois' past governor, John Peter Altgeld loved the gothic-style castles. He had castles constructed on five Illinois University campuses. It is rumored that if these castles were aligned, they would form one huge castle. About a 3-5 minute walk from the quad will take you to the football field and Redbird Arena. Ober this way, there is also the Horton Field House, tri towers (residence halls), and a couple of academic buildings.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

There are quite a few sports offered at ISU. There is football, volleyball, baseball, softball, tennis, basketball, swimming, and much much more! However, I personally am not a sports maniac, so I do not know much more than what is offered... I have only gone to one football game, one basketball game, and one gymnastics meet since I have been here. If you have questions, I am sure I can find out for you :-)

When you step off campus what do you see?

Fun fact: very recently, the "roudabout" or "circle" in uptown Normal, which is a block away from campus was named the TOP public place in the United States!! This semester, students have used this space to have "Open Mic Nights" where students can perform music, recite poetry, etc. It is a grassy area in the middle of the road that cars are able to drive around you. It is right by the Children's Museum located in Normal.

Describe the dorms.

Sadly, the dorms that I currently live in are being closed down next year. Starting next fall, there will be four main residence areas: Watterson Towers, Hewitt-Manchester, Tri Towers, and Cardinal Court. Cardinal Court will be brand new, and these will be for Sophomores. They will be "apartment-like dorms" where two rooms will share a bathroom, but that is all I know for sure as of now. Watterson Towers are the tallest residence halls in the state of Illinois. There are two towers, each 27 stories tall. You have the main lobby, then every five floors make a "house." The way to maneuver in these is odd to me-- the elevator only goes up to the third floor of each "house" and then you have to go either up or downstairs to get to the floor you live on (unless you live on the 3rd floor of course). The top floor is a beautiful place to visit. You can see the entire Bloomington-Normal area from these windows! And watch some awesome sunrises/sunsets! :-) Hewitt-Manchester 17 stories each. These dorms hold the International Housing and have other "themed" floors, such as the community service floor. I believe you have to apply to live on these floors, but I may be wrong. Tri Towers is next to the football field, baseball field, and Redbird Arena. Most athletes and people in the ROTC program live in these residence halls, though they are open for anybody. I believe that if you live in the dorms, then you truly capture the college experience :-)

Tell us about the food and dining options.

There is food everwhere! In the dorms, the student center, and a couple "cafes" in academic buildings. In the dorms, there are dining centers, vending machines and Subway. In the Bone Student Center we have Burger King, McAllister's (which is kind of like a Panera Bread), Einstein's Bagles, Pizza Hut, Freshen's (a smoothie and fro-yo place), and a little shop where you can get drinks and snacks. There is a Jamba Juice in the new rec center :-) There are also a few close restaurants. There is an Avanti's (Italian restaurant) right across the street from campus. There is Noodle's and Company, Meatheads, Potbelly's, and McDonald's along Main Street, which is right outside of campus. And this is to just name a few. There is always options... you will never go hungry here!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

At ISU, we have a 6 story library (Milner) that many students go to do homework or study There are computers, tables to have study groups, and "cubicles" for alone study time on every floor. However, there are many other places on campus that can utilized for study/homework places. Personally, I like the comfort of my own room. It rarely gets too noisy on my floor, but when it does, I just put some earplugs in, which works. Also, I have done studying before at Cook Hall (the campus "castle"- litterally). This is the music department building, but there are sound rooms downstairs that students can play their instruments or play piano. I have gone down there just to be alone and read or write. Instrumental music is the best to relax to! :) We have a large "lounge" on the top floor of our Bone Student Center (the atrium) that some students use as a study area. And in the warmer months, students can be seen studying in the courtyard of the Student Center. There are study rooms also found in various academic buildings that I have heard my friends talk about. In addition, there are quite a few computer labs on campus that are open to students at pretty much any time during the week days. These labs come in handy when you're having problems with your laptop in your rooms.

Tell us about your professors.

I am a Junior, and I have only had one professor that I did not like, which is amazing! Although, I have mostly dealt with psychology professors, I have many friends in other departments that say the same about their professors. The professors at ISU do want to get to know you. They have office hours, in which they make themselves personally available for you. You can go to ask questions about class, ask them to proofread a paper, or just to stop and say hi. Professors at ISU seem to really care that you're getting the education you need. Not only do they have office hours, but they provide contact information so that you can personally set up an appointment to meet with them if their office hours do not work. There are also opportunities at ISU in which you can get to know your professors on a more personal basis. There are teaching assistant and research apprenticeship opportunities. In some departments, these positions are for pay (unfortunately, not psychology), but most departments will give you class credit for these opportunities. The opportunities can help you get to know professors more, and they get to know you better so that they can write you good letters of recommendation in your future.

What are your classes like?

Classes here at ISU vary. There are lecture classes, which can have up to 200 students in them, and there are smaller classes (usually major-based) that can have as little as 30 students. Although the large classes may seem intimidating, majority of the professors will take their time to answer any students who have questions. There are also a few teacher's assistants available per class that are willing to help students as well. I have found that if you attend class regularly, be active in discussion, keep up with the reading, and take notes, then you will do fine in the class (grade wise).

At ISU, we have over 200 RSOs! Everything from the marching band to quiditch! It's great! There are so many opportunities to get involved, even in a subject that you're interested in! The biggest RSO would have to be between the greek systems (frats/sororities) and the University Program Board. They are the ones that put on most of the events that are campus wide!

Sadly, Illinois is not that diverse. There are multiple races here, but whites do dominate. However, there are numerous groups that speak directly to the minorities, and they put on some awesome events. Even though there is not much racial diversity, there is much diversity between classes and religion. There are a total of 7 campus ministries, there is also a pagan club, and I'm sure there's other organizations that address other religions. Also, you never feel out of place at ISU, there are an equal amount of students who work hard to be able to afford their education and students that come from financially secure famliies. Students at ISU are nice. And the campus is by far one of the safest. I know I have made not-so-smart decisions like walking on campus well into the night hours, but I have never felt unsafe. The quad and streets are all well-lit, and there are multiple "safe posts" around campus where if you are being pursued by an attacker, you just run to the nearest one, press the button, and police will be there within a few minutes.

I don't think that I could ask for a better staff here at ISU. They are nice, are always willing to help, and they want to get to know you on a deeper level. Being a psychology major, of course my favorite classes are my psychology classes. However, I have enjoyed other classes, such as my music class I took and the geography (of Africa) class I am in now. The work is hard, there is a lot of reading, but if you attend classes, take advantage of your professor's office hours, and form friendships with classmates, you will do fine :)

Illinois State University is most commonly known for it's education programs. However, as I have been here, I have seen that the Theater department and Psychology department and many others are also quite awesome. I, myself am a Psychology major, and I think that ISU offers so many opportunities and have amazing staff that is willing to help you with anything that most schools may overlook. When I usually tell people I go to ISU, I have to clarify that I am a Psychology major because they would automatically assume that I would be an education major.

Cayce

Cayce, this is the time of your life that could be the most critical to your success in life, or the unfortunate beginning of the struggles you will face in your future. The choice is yours at this time, but only for a short period will the choice be yours. If you want to succeed in life, you must take this time as a high school senior seriously and not for granted. The things you may think are important to you at this time will not even matter ten years from now. Please take to heart everything your teachers and mentors tell you. Try to retain as much as you can when it comes to your math, writing, grammar and computer classes. These classes can be detrimental to your ease and success of your college and career path. The most important thing I can tell you is to believe in yourself and never let anyone tell you that you can not accomplish your goals. People only tell you this because they do not believe in themselves. You can achieve anything that you put your heart and mind to. Every successful person started somewhere.

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.