Normal, IL
Illinois State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

Christine

Illinois State University is just like any school, it will be as great as you make it, the experience is in your hands.

Take your time and be aware of what makes you smile. Never go by what they say, there are no rules and it's all yours. Your future, your time, and most importantly, it is yours now. They cannot paint you black and white and put a number on you to label your passion and determination. All will be well, no worries.

I consider the worst thing about my school is the location, I'm a city girl and living in close to farm area that doesn't have a lot to offer is difficult to explore and enjoy when time allows.

Illinois State University is a school that encourages independence and proactive students in the community, and expects high standards of the students who attend.

Get involved in campus activities your first semester of college. Making social connections with people interested in the same things as you can open up so many doors. Also, work hard throughout your entire senior year because although you may want to slack off since it is the end of your senior year, college is tough and you will need a good work ethic. During your first year of college put yourself out there to make friends and remember that everyone else is as nervous about starting college as you are. Never sell yourself short because the syllabus for college courses always looks more intimidating that it actually turns out to be. Most importantly enjoy this time because it goes by way too quickly!

A person who likes the easy way out, and does not enjoy interacting in a social community of learners should not attend this school.

Tawni

Don't sweat the small things. Don't over-worry about the transition to college. Keep a strong work ethic and keep in touch with your old friends but make new ones too!

The professors are great. They always grab my attention in lectures and make me want to search for more information after lectures.

The fact that some of the courses do not transfer to UoI for my major. There is no macroeconomics or microeconomics as an individual class, so I have to take those during the summer in order to transfer schools.

Mariana

There are all different kinds of students, various personalities, ethicities, levels of motivation, but as we get further into our schooling everyone becomes more serious toward their grades.

Get involved in things you might be interested. Always stay ontop of your coursework in college and don't be afraid to talk to professors; they know so much and are so helpful and friendly.

There are lots of options for majors, there's always help, it is challanging without feeling overwheling and there are various things to do. The campus is just the right size and there are just enough people so it's not too small or too big.

Danielle

Become involved as many organizations that do not interfere with classes. Every time I enroll in a student organization I meet new people and create new networks of friends. In college you do not want to hang out with the same ten people. I am currently involved in alternative spring break. Durring my spring beak, I will be traveling with ten other people to do a service project. I am also involved in habiat for humanity. Students in this group build homes on saturdays for familys who do not own a home. In college there are activities for whatever a student is intrested in. Whether it be community service, greek, sports, dance, theatre etc. It is out there. However, the student has to find it. Organizatios will not go looking for you. It took me a semester to become involved with any student organization. If I had known I would have met the people I did by becomming involved, I would have become involved sooner. It is a great experience! do not waste time because college goes quick!

If a student wants to accelarate their learning and achieve career goals he/she should attend ISU. This school has one of the largest major programs for a undergrad degree. Unlike large schools, teachers at ISU are always readily available to discuss questions with students. In addition, counseling is readily available. In short , a student at various colleges/ universities can spend four years easily running arround trying to complete a degree while racking up debt and still not finish. At ISU the counselors want the students to finish on time. Finally, ISU is less than 30 thousand per year.

When I first moved into the dorm rooms, everyone was telling me but this/ buy that. After a semester living in the doorm rooms 1/2 of the items people were telling me to buy I did not need. If a student is not going to use somthing at school. Don't bring it. Items take up space in a small room for two people. In addition, students don't need to bring everything they have ever owned. I had neighbors who brought like ten stuffed animals or 30 purses. Bring what you need. You will be home for thanksgiving!

Teryn

If I could go back to senior year of high school I would tell myself to make the most of every moment between then and graduation from college. I feel as if I could have done more as far as getting to know people as well as taking the classes that i needed instead of classes that i wanted to take because I find that money be becoming more of an issue the longer I stay in school. I really enjoy school though, which is also something that I would not have anticipated after high school. I had such a good time in high chool and thought that I was leaving all of those fun times behind, so if i could go back in tim i would also tell myself to not be afraid to go have a good time! because its still possible to do so while still getting good grades.

I brag about my fun job. I work as a phogorapher for the school. I also brag about how great my teachers and fellow classmates are.

I would say that most frustrating thing about Illinois Sate University has to do with the art department / situation. There are so many nice buildings here on campus and the only ones that are in bad shape are the fine art buildings (there are two). Other than that I am happy with the art department because we have amazing professors and a wide veriety of programs.

Kimberly

Great for teaching, nursing, and business.

Great for teaching, nursing, and business.

If I could go back in time to senior year, I would tell myself to aim higher than I think I am able of because in the past year, I have proven to myself that I am smarter than I think. I would tell myself to not only apply to Illinois State University, Northern Illinois University, and Carthage, but also to a more challenging school such as University of Illinois. When I was a senior in high school, I never challenged myself to academically perform better, so I never took the "next step up" to achieve more than I was used to. I would also tell myself to start saving my money now because I never gave my financial situation a second thought. Little did I know, my freshman year consisted of my bank account topping off at twenty dollars. While I did have a one thousand dollar scholarship from high school, it did not go very far. With the combination of books, groceries, and tuition, the money was gone within thirty days.

It isn't the most exciting or "happening" school out there.

It is going to be a lot of work and at times it is going to be very stressful but the good times and hard work does pay off.

When it is time to register for classes it is very hard to get the ones that you need in order to be on the right track to graduating.

Even though we are a larger school our campus is still considerbly small, it only takes 10 minutes to get anywhere you need to go max.

Kathryn

If I went back to talk to my high school self, I would tell myself that I need to pick up my slack. I may have gotten through high school alright with my work ethic, but I need to motivate myself to work harder. I got so distracted with being away from home and family that I didn't focus as much as I needed to. I regret this because I have no slack now. I am not satified with my GPA, so in order to increase my GPA, I need to work a whole lot harder. But that is easier to say when you get into your major classes and all your work load starts to pile up throughout the years. So, don't slack. You'll have a harder time in the later years in college if you do.

People who don't like big campuses or big classrooms shouldn't come here, because ISU is highly populated, so it takes a little while to get across campus and class sizes for lectures reach to 300 students.

I wish that I would have know the competition that my fellow students would have. In the beginning I struggled in staying focused and that really brought my GPA down. But all of my friends are all still doing well, so I feel like I'm a little behind.

Adam

I would tell myself to be a little bit more outgoing. I would also tell myself to go out and become more active because it is easier to do when you are a freshman. The bit of advice I would give myself is to avoid some of the thirsty Thursdays so I would not miss ITK lab so much!

People who are motivated and ready to work because all majors are competitive here.

Having a plan of study but not being able to go by because classes are always full when I go to pick classes.

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.