Normal, IL
Illinois State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

Zach

Parents: listen to your child; Sudents: listen to your parents. Choosing a college is a huge decision and students will not only need as many opinions they can get, but also trusted advice from a parent. However, the ultimate decision should be left up to the student, for he/she knows themselves the best and where they'd be happy. For most middle-class families, such as myself, the largest factor when choosing a college is financial aid. I attended a large state university at the behest of my parents, yet it wasn't the best choice for me. My education and happiness may have been compromised since I was accepted into top=tier presigious uiversities. I am growing to like it where I am and it's important to students who don't end up at thier first choice to atleast give thier new school a try before they decide to hate it. I was bitter when I first enrolled which impacted my experience. Now I'm looking at my school from a new perspective and like it alot better. There will be "jerks" and potentcial freinds at every school, so just give it a try!

Professors can be indifferent and hard to deal with, the administration is beareucratic and lots of red tape.

The emphasis sudents place on going out and getting drunk.

Jasmyne

My school is best known for one of our dorms, Watterson Towers, which is one of the tallest dorms in the world. It is very high up and there are many floors. Each elevator only stops on every 3rd floor so you either have to walk up or down flights of stairs in order to get to your destination. Waiting to catch an elevator to go to class can be crowded!

My advice that I would give to parents about choosing the right college would be to not shelter your child when it comes to choosing a college because it is best to branch out, explore and meet people of all cultures! For students, I would say to choose the college which you are comfortable with when it comes to the class sizes, the campus size, etc... I would also advise to choose the best college in which you will receive the best education and real world experiences for your career because the more experience you have, the better. For example, I chose Illinois State University mainly for their tv station, TV-10 News, because I am pursuing a career in broadcast journalism and I get hands on experience being a reporter, anchor or weather person. My last advice would be not to choose a school just because the campus is beautiful, your friends/mate attends that school or because your family are alumni. Choose the school that bests fits you, your comfort zone, your major and personality! To make the most out of your college life branch out and meet people, join clubs, study hard and go for the internships!

I would say the kind of person to attend this school would have to be a person who favors diversity because my school is very diverse. That person would also have to be friendly in order to make new friends because the class sizes are pretty big in lecture halls. Overall, anyone could attend my school and have fun and be successful.

William

Originally a teaching school ISU continues to draw a large number of students who wish to be teachers. Although, ISU is becoming known for its Business programs as well. Illinois State has a great marketing program, including a recently renovated College of Business building. Most of the business teachers at Illinois State have an incredible background in their field. Another great characteristic of Illinois State is that every student can walk across campus in less than ten minutes and that includes your elevator ride... from the 15th floor.

Parents, try and get your soon to be college student to narrow down their selection from 5 or more down to 3 top schools. Then go and visit these schools, walk around check out the buildings. Yours student will feel that the school is right for them. I personally visited 3 schools not including my sisters University (which was way to large for me). I went on a tour or Western Illinois, stopped by Northern Illinois, and ended up looking at Illinois State. What drew me to ISU was the look of the quad the renovated building and there was just a presence around the school that I loved immediately. Go from academics, the surrounding area of the College, the buildings and you'll know whats right.

AMANDA

well rounded, very different backgrounds

well rounded, very different backgrounds

Visiting the campus is of utmost importance, it can really make or break your decision. Know what you're looking for in a college, for example a big or small campus and what activities you want to do. Make friends with those people on your floor/in your whole dorm. Strongly suggest living in the dorms. Get along with your roommate as much as possible, me and my roommate did this by talking about how studius we are, what tv shows we like to watch, what activities we like to do, who's responsible for what, etc. This helped set guidelines, I suggest even roommates who know each other do this. I don't think it is necessary to get involved with campus activities at least for me, I met people in classes and through friends I already knew on campus. Be outgoing, there's friends out there for every single person.

Amy

Education and science majors' course excellency

Education and science majors' course excellency

Finding the right college is more about program fit and campus size/lifestyle than finances - if it is right, you will find a way to fund it! In order to get the most out of the experience as a student, you must be very active and enthusiastic about your own education. Beyond simply going to classes and doing your best, take advantage of Honors programs, sponsored internships, and other programs that your school may offer. Many students miss out on these opportunities because they do not want "extra work", but all of those extra experiences will prove to be valuable assets on your resume later when you are applying for jobs or graduate schools. Take charge! Mommy's not setting your alarm any more!

Danica

My classmates are unique and willing to help me with problems that I may have. They are friendly and are willing to work together when group projects are assigned. Because I want to be a teacher, most of my classmates are female, but there are the occassional males present in class. I really like the classmates that I have come to know.

Illinois State University is known for their education program. Because they are the first college founded for teachers, they have held that title and lived up to it. There are thousands of students in the Elementary Education Program. Illinois State also offers not only elementary education, but also special education and middle leave education. There are less than 500 people in the Midde Level Teacher Education Program, but this program is growing every year.

I think it is important for parents to not only support their college students financially but also emotionally. A lot of college students go through phases where they get really stressed and more than anything, they need their parents support. I think it is important for parents to let their students know that they are proud of their students' accomplishments. As for students, it's important to become involved on campus with something, anything. Try to join clubs, inter-mural sports teams, organizations, etc. This is a great way to meet people who may have the same interests as you. It may be intimidating at first, but just be yourself and chances are, you'll find someone who you truly click with. It's also important to be yourself. No matter who or what you are, as long as you are happy, that's what's important. Above all, enjoy yourself and the friends that you have made and the years that you have at college because you can't them back!

Jesse

One great thing about ISU is that for a school with over 20,000 students, it does not feel like it at all. The quad is super compact and centralized, which is good becasue it does not take forever to get from building to building. You can walk the entire quad in 15 minutes. Professors are so, so. If you are under 21 you cna't get into the bars, but there are plenty of frats. But often you just find your self wandering from house party to frat house until you find a good which can be annoying.

About 70% white. The other 30% is minorites.

Yes, indeed the school is very segregated especially when it comes to the parties. White parties will be virtually all white, of course with plenty of exceptions. And Black parties will be almost exclusively black but with some exceptions. Its sort of a shame, but if you make an effort to engage with different ethnic groups people will welcome you with open arms. The town of Normal is boring. You can definetely get by without a car because of the bus system, but its definetly a plus. Especially if you want to go party at U of I.

Okay, not the most prestigious school. Its just your average state school.

Frats and soriorites are noticeable, yet they do not dominate. They only make up 10% of the population. So you can definetly make freinds who are not involved in Greek life and even some who are. Most of them seem pretty nice for the most part.

That the school is very segregated and the town of Normal is boring.

Erika

I think ISU is best known for is Education degree. They have a really good education degree program. I was in the Education major and I learned so much information that I use in my own classroom!!

Picking the right college can either make or break the college experience. Finding the right college is more then just finding a party school , it is about finding a college that fits you as a person. I strongly believe that when looking for the right college you have to consider many different things. Make sure the college that the student attends has a good program for their career choice, that is the main purpose of college is to earn a degree. With this, make sure that the school has staff available to assist with questions and tutoring. The student also needs to consider the activities and clubs that are available on campus, having fun at college is part of going away to school. No one wants to learn all day and not have fun, that would make it hard to enjoy college. If the child is interested in a particular sport, make sure that sport is available for the student. Safety at a college is also very important, make sure the campus safety is good. The housing and its location to needed stores should also be considered. Along with this, is the transportation that is available to students.

The worst thing about Illinois State is the smoking. Many students don't follow the rule of staying at least 50ft from doors when smoking. Becasue of this, especially when it is cold, many smokers stand right by the door and you have to work through the smoke when going into the school.

Lindsey

Not just a great education, but an unforgettable experience.

Not just a great education, but an unforgettable experience.

This school is very welcoming. When I was in between deciding what school to go to I visited ISU and the answer was clear. I instantly felt at home and I could picture myself attending class and sporting events, and just living happily here. This school is very focused on its students, and almost every major must complete an internship of some sort to obtain experience in their field before graduating and entering the work force. We have great activities and extracurriculars for students to do in their free time so their is never a dull moment at this school.

Choosing a place where you feel comfortable and at home is so important. After all, it will be your new home for your college years. Its so vital to emerge yourself in all your college has to offer. Joining clubs and attending socials and sporting events is a great way to meet new people and decide what it is exactly that you are interested in. And you should not expect college to be how it is in movies. It is definitely not all about drinking and partying, and is not what you should be going for anyway. There are so many resources and opportunities available to students for all of their needs if they apply themselves and make an effort to get to know their campus. College is an unforgettable experience that will take you to great places and open so many doors for you. As any graduate will tell you, make the most out of your years, because once they are over you'll want them back!

Finding the right college is much like buying a new pair of shoes. There are many different styles, but you have to find a pair that appeals to your own taste yet comfortable enough for a long journey. The most beneficial experience I engaged in, when looking for the right school, was preview. The program allowed both prospective students and parents to come and stay, on campus, to get the true feeling of the school. If the college does not offer a preview take a weekend and go stay as close to campus as possible. This experience allows you to test the waters. Hopefully you choose a college that makes you comfortable and feel right a home. To aid this, I recommend getting involved in your major. Join clubs your major offers, volunteer throughout the community, and engage yourself in research. These activities allow you to learn about your field, so you can decide if it is right for you. However, you can always return those shoes if they are not the perfect fit. If your first choice does not work do not like that discourage you, maybe you just need a pair with a little more cushion.

One thing I wish I would have known before attending Illinois State is when and how to apply for scholarships. Unlike highschool, there was no one to guide my scholarship search and I was very lost. Due to my difficulties I found myself having to pay a lot more out of pocket, via loans, then I would have liked. Even today, I wish I better understood Illinois State's scholarship system.

The most frustrating part of Illinois State University is the cost of living. Property owners raise prices every year and make students pay per-room. Next year I will be a Junior and will have to take out loans so I can not only pay for a higher education but also afford a $415 rent. It is sad that they are allowed to do this. Students have to live near campus and it is not fair that property managers are making student's dreams harder to achieve.

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.