Normal, IL
Illinois State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

O'Cephus

My school is best known for their education programs. Ilinois State University ranks at the top of institutions for their education program and cirriculum. A lot of students here are majoring in education.

Extensive research would definitely be my advice. I didn't find out about a better institution for my intended major until a few months ago. It's definitely too late to for me to consider transferring, unless I want to start over in my college experience. Best fits as a far as majors and financial aid tend to be the two most common factors weighted when deciding which college to attend. The third factor would probably be distance away from home, but most would definitely sacrifice that if the institution is offering a certain amount of money for the student's education. I would tell students to PLEASE focus on academics FIRST. After and only after that is taken care of, you can get to the social aspects of college. The parties and extracurricular activities aren't going anywhere. At the end of the day, you are in college to receive an education.

Before coming to this school, I wish I would have had a mentor. Many stress the importance of doing well in college, especially starting on the right foot in the first semester. If I would have had closer, more personal contact with someone on a daily basis closer to my age, I think I would have done a lot better in my first year, more specifically my first semester.

Caitlin

The most important thing for a student to consider when choosing the school they want to go to is the comfort level. If a student is not comfortable at the school they are looking into they will not adjust well. When a student is comfortable with their environment it allows for them to achieve excellence and be themselves in their surrounding environment. Success is very important in college and being comfortable and enjoying the environment in which the school is located will only enhance success.

I wish that I had known how important it was to get involved with different organizations on campus. Throughout my first two years on campus I was able to become greatly involved with a variety of organizations; but if I had known in advance I would have been able to be involved starting my freshman year.

Kathleen

I have a few pieces of advice for students and parents. The first piece of advice is that when touring college campuses, always remember to take note of the feeling you get in terms of comfort. When I came to Illinois State University (ISU), I felt so comfortable and at home when I was getting the tour. People were friendly, the tour guide was helpful, and the Quad was so beautiful. A factor that I took into account when making my decision was how far away I was from my parents. ISU is two hours south of my parents, so I could easily travel back and forth by way of public transportation. Consider modes of transportation when making your decision because freshman and sophomores are the least likely of all students to get parking passes at most universities. In terms of making the most out of one's college experience, I would advise that students join any club or sport that interests them. It's a great way to make friends and to get to know the campus. The more people you know, the more connections you'll have when you graduate. Lastly, never hesitate to ask for help.

Currently, the most frustrating thing about my school is that there is construction everywhere. There's new buildings going up all over, renovation of buildings, and street construction. It's worse this summer 2009 than it will be in the coming year, but that is the most frustrating thing because of the interference for drivers.

Kylie

I absolutely love my school because it has so much to offer socially and academically.

Make sure the incoming student likes the size of the school (how many students actually attend), and that they like the campus in general. And also, make sure that when they visit, they feel welcome there.

Dorm life. Because they are so strict about everything and dont listen to what you have to say.

Annelise

Make sure to visit plenty places, to apply to many schools, and really think about your decision. Apply early so you have a lot of your senior year to contemplate your choice. I only visited three or four schools and I applied to four. I got into all four and chose the school I would attend by the start of October. I wish I had applied to more schools and taken through the spring to make my decision, because though I like my school, I now understand I could have gotten more money for some other schools, and I may have liked a different environment now that I really see what other schools are out there. So long story short, do a lot of research and don't feel pressured to make a decision quickly or to settle on a school.

There is a lot of construction going on right now, and sometimes it really sucks just walking to class because a two minute walk gets turned into five, ten, or even fifteen to get around it.

I wish I had known about all the construction projects they were going to start, and I wish I knew buses don't run on Sundays. It made me wish I had my car sometimes, as much as they say you don't need one.

Patrick

Go on every college visit you can and explore all of your options. Do not assume that just because you think you want to go to a school that one institution is the only one out there.

Julie

My school is a stereo-typical 'drinking/partying' school but there is so much more going on than just this. There are many activities on campus to get involved in, such as sports, clubs, and church involvement. As a whole, students who go to Illinois State University really put a lot of effort into their education and future investment. It's a great place to go to college and I really enjoy it!

Choosing the right college is not always easy, but it IS exciting! I would tell parents and students to not take the college decision-making process to lightly OR too difficultly. It is a process that takes time and effort on the parent and students part, but it should not be overly stressful. My best advice is to apply to no more than three or four colleges/universities. I have met plenty of people who took the application process way to seriously and applied to more than five colleges, and they seemed way too overwhelmed. I also would say that when you find the right college and are all ready to start packing everything, do not pack more than you can handle. Always remember that there are plenty of stores and places you can buy supplies at while you are at school, so do not worry too much about having all the right things right when you are all moved in. Lastly, these really can be some of the best four years of your life if you let it. Study hard, but not TOO hard, and do not forget to have fun, but not TOO much fun! GOOD LUCK!

Students who are planning to party and drink all the time and not put enough effort into their school work, should NOT go here. They will fall way behind and regret it. They may even fail out, because although ISU is not extremely difficult, it is still pretty challenging and demands students who are willing to work hard!

Zach

Parents: listen to your child; Sudents: listen to your parents. Choosing a college is a huge decision and students will not only need as many opinions they can get, but also trusted advice from a parent. However, the ultimate decision should be left up to the student, for he/she knows themselves the best and where they'd be happy. For most middle-class families, such as myself, the largest factor when choosing a college is financial aid. I attended a large state university at the behest of my parents, yet it wasn't the best choice for me. My education and happiness may have been compromised since I was accepted into top=tier presigious uiversities. I am growing to like it where I am and it's important to students who don't end up at thier first choice to atleast give thier new school a try before they decide to hate it. I was bitter when I first enrolled which impacted my experience. Now I'm looking at my school from a new perspective and like it alot better. There will be "jerks" and potentcial freinds at every school, so just give it a try!

Professors can be indifferent and hard to deal with, the administration is beareucratic and lots of red tape.

The emphasis sudents place on going out and getting drunk.

Jasmyne

My school is best known for one of our dorms, Watterson Towers, which is one of the tallest dorms in the world. It is very high up and there are many floors. Each elevator only stops on every 3rd floor so you either have to walk up or down flights of stairs in order to get to your destination. Waiting to catch an elevator to go to class can be crowded!

My advice that I would give to parents about choosing the right college would be to not shelter your child when it comes to choosing a college because it is best to branch out, explore and meet people of all cultures! For students, I would say to choose the college which you are comfortable with when it comes to the class sizes, the campus size, etc... I would also advise to choose the best college in which you will receive the best education and real world experiences for your career because the more experience you have, the better. For example, I chose Illinois State University mainly for their tv station, TV-10 News, because I am pursuing a career in broadcast journalism and I get hands on experience being a reporter, anchor or weather person. My last advice would be not to choose a school just because the campus is beautiful, your friends/mate attends that school or because your family are alumni. Choose the school that bests fits you, your comfort zone, your major and personality! To make the most out of your college life branch out and meet people, join clubs, study hard and go for the internships!

I would say the kind of person to attend this school would have to be a person who favors diversity because my school is very diverse. That person would also have to be friendly in order to make new friends because the class sizes are pretty big in lecture halls. Overall, anyone could attend my school and have fun and be successful.

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.