Normal, IL
Illinois State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

Amy

My school is extremely dedicated to the success of each and every student that attends.

When I was a senior in high school my parents consistenly pushed me to look for scholarships, but I, being oblivious at the time to the cost of attending a respected college, ignored them. I soon learned that they were right all along. I should have been searching and applying for scholarships long before my freshman year of college. The cost of college these days is somewhat outrageous, however the education is worth it. Students like myself who are paying their own way through college need all the help they can get. So if I could go back in time, I would tell myself that listening to my parents might not be such a bad idea and to start that scholarship search as soon as possible!

I would have to say the size is the best thing about my school. It is a large university, however small enough to be able to walk across campus. Most professors will know who you are, so you are not just another number in their grade book.

College kids that are working toward a specific goal, with a strong motivation to succeed.

The first advice I would give to parents and students regarding finding the right college and making the most of their college experiennce is to first and foremost secure funding for school. With today's economy, and the decrease in financial aid available to students, this is very important to consider before attending a four year university. For some people, their situation might prove that it's more economical to attend a Community College to complete their Associate's degree, then transfer to a four year university. If your financial situation allows you to secure funding at a university, my advice would include visiting the campus of prospective schools. For instance, shadow a Froshman for a day or two, get a campus tour, and learn about the services the school has to offer. For students, remember that you should chose a school that best fits your personal learning style. Specifically, learn about the average class sizes, and teacher to student ratio. Take the initiative to find out about services offered that will help you be successful in your major. Overall, secure funding, and dilligently seek information about the campus community in order to make the most of your college experience.

I consider the staff and sevices offered on campus to be the best thing about my school. The campus offers services for students including Advisors, Career Counseling, Career Fairs, Student Counseling Services, and a Medical health service to all full time students, included in the cost of your tuition. These services are great and I have learned that they offer very useful information and help when needed. The staff is very friendly and the services are provided promptly when needed. Students at my school are encouraged to attend lectures and utilize these services because the campus promotes these services.

Justina

ISU is a friendly, but acedemically grounded school that takes pride in its staff, students and atheltics.

When choosing a college, don't settle. There are plenty of colleges out there to choose from, all that would be happy to have you. Think about what is most important to you, whether it be school pride, academics, food, off campus activities, athletics, or dorm life. Whatever it is, consider it carefully. Yes, making sure you can afford it is important, but there will always be financial aide possible, and if you are willing to work for what you want, on camps jobs. If you're not going to to school where you are happy, you won't be as happy. Also, get involved! Finding a group that you feel comfortable with will make all the difference in the world. There is nothing that can motivate you as much as having friends there to go through this new stage of life with you. Remember, everything will be new to them too! Find things that you have in common and be willing to reach out. Make th most of everything. If you're not sure, try it anyway! Then you'll know whether or not to do it again! Be adventurous, live it up, and study hard!

ISU is a very open community where there is always opportunity for personal expression, whether be individual or through a group.

O'Cephus

My school is best known for their education programs. Ilinois State University ranks at the top of institutions for their education program and cirriculum. A lot of students here are majoring in education.

Extensive research would definitely be my advice. I didn't find out about a better institution for my intended major until a few months ago. It's definitely too late to for me to consider transferring, unless I want to start over in my college experience. Best fits as a far as majors and financial aid tend to be the two most common factors weighted when deciding which college to attend. The third factor would probably be distance away from home, but most would definitely sacrifice that if the institution is offering a certain amount of money for the student's education. I would tell students to PLEASE focus on academics FIRST. After and only after that is taken care of, you can get to the social aspects of college. The parties and extracurricular activities aren't going anywhere. At the end of the day, you are in college to receive an education.

Before coming to this school, I wish I would have had a mentor. Many stress the importance of doing well in college, especially starting on the right foot in the first semester. If I would have had closer, more personal contact with someone on a daily basis closer to my age, I think I would have done a lot better in my first year, more specifically my first semester.

Caitlin

The most important thing for a student to consider when choosing the school they want to go to is the comfort level. If a student is not comfortable at the school they are looking into they will not adjust well. When a student is comfortable with their environment it allows for them to achieve excellence and be themselves in their surrounding environment. Success is very important in college and being comfortable and enjoying the environment in which the school is located will only enhance success.

I wish that I had known how important it was to get involved with different organizations on campus. Throughout my first two years on campus I was able to become greatly involved with a variety of organizations; but if I had known in advance I would have been able to be involved starting my freshman year.

Kathleen

I have a few pieces of advice for students and parents. The first piece of advice is that when touring college campuses, always remember to take note of the feeling you get in terms of comfort. When I came to Illinois State University (ISU), I felt so comfortable and at home when I was getting the tour. People were friendly, the tour guide was helpful, and the Quad was so beautiful. A factor that I took into account when making my decision was how far away I was from my parents. ISU is two hours south of my parents, so I could easily travel back and forth by way of public transportation. Consider modes of transportation when making your decision because freshman and sophomores are the least likely of all students to get parking passes at most universities. In terms of making the most out of one's college experience, I would advise that students join any club or sport that interests them. It's a great way to make friends and to get to know the campus. The more people you know, the more connections you'll have when you graduate. Lastly, never hesitate to ask for help.

Currently, the most frustrating thing about my school is that there is construction everywhere. There's new buildings going up all over, renovation of buildings, and street construction. It's worse this summer 2009 than it will be in the coming year, but that is the most frustrating thing because of the interference for drivers.

Kylie

I absolutely love my school because it has so much to offer socially and academically.

Make sure the incoming student likes the size of the school (how many students actually attend), and that they like the campus in general. And also, make sure that when they visit, they feel welcome there.

Dorm life. Because they are so strict about everything and dont listen to what you have to say.

Annelise

Make sure to visit plenty places, to apply to many schools, and really think about your decision. Apply early so you have a lot of your senior year to contemplate your choice. I only visited three or four schools and I applied to four. I got into all four and chose the school I would attend by the start of October. I wish I had applied to more schools and taken through the spring to make my decision, because though I like my school, I now understand I could have gotten more money for some other schools, and I may have liked a different environment now that I really see what other schools are out there. So long story short, do a lot of research and don't feel pressured to make a decision quickly or to settle on a school.

There is a lot of construction going on right now, and sometimes it really sucks just walking to class because a two minute walk gets turned into five, ten, or even fifteen to get around it.

I wish I had known about all the construction projects they were going to start, and I wish I knew buses don't run on Sundays. It made me wish I had my car sometimes, as much as they say you don't need one.

Patrick

Go on every college visit you can and explore all of your options. Do not assume that just because you think you want to go to a school that one institution is the only one out there.

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.