Normal, IL
Illinois State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

Additional Loan Options

Kia

our amazing teaching program, and our basketball team

our amazing teaching program, and our basketball team

When you choose a college, do not allow distance or money keep you from doing what you dream of doing. If you want to attend the school, that you like, just get good grades, and get a job on campus. If you do not go to the school that you want to go to, you will most likely end up regretting it. I know that I somewhat do, because I was supposed to go to school on a scholarship for athletics, but I didn't. But the best advice to give to future college students is, to go into school on a positive note. Do not goof around, it is much easier to get situated first. I know it's exciting, and you may think that you need to join everything, but enjoy school for a semester, and if you think that you are ready to take on the many endeavors that college life throw at you, well then good luck! Enjoy college.

Katie

Choose a school that has a credible program for the field you want - not just where your friends are or for the social scene. College can be and IS a lot of fun, but its also a lot of hard work. Remember why youre there, and what you want to acheive. Its easy to get sucked in to the social life and freedom college allows, but don't lose sight of your goals and what getting a degree really means to you.

Its a lot of people on a smaller campus - so its really a tight community. people are friendly, faculty are helpful, but you have to look and work for what you want - its not just gonna fall into your lap.

Chris

It is challenging, it tests your skills, and how well you are at respoding to it. It also is a chance for you to meet new people and have a great college experience.

They are a great group of people, who are open to anything, and they want to meet people like you and want to see what college is all about.

It is always hard when trying to look for the right college for you. You need to keep an open mind of all the colleges that you may visit. Make sure that you also go to a college where you may now some people, it is always hard to start off the year not knowing where to have fun or meet people. If you have those friends that have been there for a year, it is always safe to know that that could be an optional school. When you are visiting, don?t be afraid to ask questions. When I first came to this school, I knew no one. But I went and talked to people on my floor and we hung out, and luckily one of the people that I met was a sophomore and he knew where parties were and he was a fun person to hang around. So if you are nervous about talking to people, you need to break the barrier while you are in college. When you meet new people in college, they can turn out to be your friends for life.

Melissa

Go on a tour of the college before making your choice. Also, apply to as many colleges as possible because the more options you have, the better. When touring a college, you will know if it is the right fit for you, if there are any second thoughts, with my experience, it is probably not the right choice

I do not think there is anyone who should not attend this school. Anyone who goes here will enjoy themselves

How close it is to home and how much fun i am having on the weekends with friends

Patrick

I would tell them to take there time and don't just jump at the first college that offers to you. Also sometimes your first choice is not your best choice, sometimes I wish that I would have looked more at my second and third choices. College is fun but make sure you go to it for the right reasons, make sure its what you want to do and don't let your parents, family, friends, or anyone pressure you into going to college. Maybe you just want to take a year off first or maybe join the military, just do it for the right reasons.

That ROTC is stupid, I wish I never would have done it. The program is a huge stress and it takes up so much time, its worse than playing a varsity sport. If I had to do it all over again I never would have done ROTC.

Someone who wants to get a degree and then do something else, unless you want to be a teacher or work in a business enviornment this school is just a way to get a degree.

Melissa

I think its important to pick a school that is both an enjoyable place to be in and one where they have the most opportunities in their area of study.

I like that there are so many options for areas of study. Also , because there are so many different areas of study you get to know a lot of different kinds of people with different interests.

I don't like the reputation of it being a party school that goes along with the acronym ISU (I screwed up). A lot of the people I know at this university are hard working individuals who take school seriously.

Kate

Students who could not get into a more competitive school, either because they did not have enough money or because they were not intelligent enough.

I worked very hard in high school, perhaps even harder than I do now in college, and I always got good grades. My goal was to get into a very competitive and prestigious university that I would be proud to attend. However, when it came time to choose what schools I was interested in, the ones I liked the most were too expensive. I highly recommend looking into scholarships so that other people can go to the school that they dream of going to, rather than just settling for one that is inexpensive and close to home. I also think that it is very important to visit a variety of schools before choosing one, because that is a whole different experience than just reading about them.

The worst thing about my school is that some of the teachers do not seem to be very qualified to be teaching at a university. Since I am in the Honors Program, I get to pick my classes earlier than everyone else, so I get to choose teachers that I have heard good things about. Many of my friends, however, have gotten stuck with really bad teachers. We have been put in the same classes but with different teachers, and I understand the classes much better because my teachers are more passionate about the subjects.

Mary

Find a place that has a great program for what you want to study. And sororities are not bad! Join one!

Kari

The best advice that can be given is spend a lot of time researching schools that you/your teenager are interested in. Once your family has an idea of colleges overall, take time discussing and deciding how much you can afford to pay, large greek system or not, big/small, city/rural, and what your student would like to major in. It is important to go to a school that has a good program in whatever you intend on studying. After the colleges have been narrowed down to realistic choices, visit! Spend time walking the campus, looking at the dorms, talking to professors and current students, and take notes! Apply at 4 or 5 schools that you are the most impressed with, see what kind of scholarship you could be offered, and decide from there. Honestly, all schools have postive sides and negative ones, and no matter where your student decides to go, there will be good days and bad days, but it all works out in the end. Good luck!

The people are nice, and you only have to live in the dorms for one year now.

Registering for classes at ISU is terrible and stressful unless you are in the honors program or an athlete.

Alayna

ISU is such a large school but one feels like an true individual at the school, not just another student.

My advice to parents and students about finding the right college is to find one that works for everyone. Compromising never hurt anyone. Also students, listen to your parent's advice, they know a lot more than you think. To make the most of the college experience my advice is to have fun. Enjoy your classes, enjoy your social life, go to school sponsored events, go to non school sponsored ones, etc... Most of all make friends because you'll have these relationships for the rest of your life.

Every type of person should attend this school. There is niche for everyone here.

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.