Normal, IL
Illinois State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

Bradley

The most unique thing is the amount of students attending in such a small campus. The other schools I was accepted to were either small or very big. I love the way everything is close together; it makes it easy to get to class and to go to events on campus.

For the parents, I would say to help your son/daughter pick the college that will meet her needs. This is a time for them to be on their own and figure out what they want to do for the rest of their life. The school needs to be far enough away to get the whole experience, but close enough for them to come home whenever they want. Just be a guide for them and they will thank you for it later. For prospective students, I would say to pick a school that will offer you everything that will make you happy. College is a time to learn more about yourself and to have fun; join a club/organization, make friends, but most of all - do what you want to do. There isn't anyone here to tell you how to live your life. So do everything you can and make sure to take it all in; it will be totally worth it.

I brag about the performance of our athletics program and the attendance at the sporting events. Our Men's and Women's Basketball team are really good and the student sections are filled almost every game. The athletes here are also very easy to recognize and talk to. It's fun talking to them and learning about what a student-athlete goes through. If you love sports, this is the school to attend.

Danielle

Expressing the meaning of college in less than two-hundred words is literally impossible. It can hold so many meanings for so many different people. However, it has to be said that regardless of what college you attend, it is what you make of the experience. Not everyone enjoys going to a large university or a small local college. However, it is the time and effort you choose to put into your college that can result in the success of your future. The more your school has to offer and the level of involvement you choose , the better student, friend, volunteer, and person you will become. Getting involved is more than just going to class every day and choosing the right college means choosing one that provides you with the opportunity to find yourself as a young adult. Without this, it is impossible to feel prepared for what the real world has to offer.

The worst part about Illinois State is that there is very little diversity among the students that attend and the diversity we do have seems often times to be segregated. The community that I went to highschool in was extremely diverse and I find it hard to believe that many people at my school can not even tell the difference between someone who is Mexican or Indian!

The best thing would be that there are over 20 thousand students but the size of the campus is nowhere near overwhelming in size. I also enjoy the fact that I see many of the same faces in class every day but I can participate in other activities at school and still meet someone new every day.

Jeffrey

ISU is best known for its programs in teaching and nursing.

ISU is best known for its programs in teaching and nursing.

The most important thing to consider while choosing a college is how it makes you feel. Visit all the colleges on your list and get a feel for them. If you feel uncomfortable while visiting chances are you will not like going to school there. The most important thing to keep in mind is that the choice is the students. Pick a school that you want to go too, not somewhere someone else wants you to go. The important thing to remember while in school is that there is a fine line between fun and too much fun. Make time to get your work done while still being social.

Someone who wants a very good education, while keeping cost very low.

Christine

As a student attending their second choice college the best piece of advice I have about choosing a college is keep your mind, and your options, open. Not being able to attend your first choice college can be a blessing. When I entered Illinois State University I was not excited. I viewed the school as second rate and had every intention of transferring to my first choice university when the year was through. As first semester progressed I began to realize that, academically, Illinois State was top notch. Being an average student in high school I wanted to improve in college but figured it would be difficult to break my old habits and develop new ones. That was not the case though! The classes I took and professors I had motivated me to achieve my best. The small classes and availability of professors made it easy to excel. Involving myself in other activities of interest on campus also provided me with a community of friends willing to help by offering support through study groups or movie nights. So please, keep an open mind about your classes, professors, peers, and your university, it will make your college experience enjoyable and memorable.

Someone who is ready to better themselves academically. If you were and average student in high school the atmosphere her at Illinois State will help you excel and become an excellent student!

Probably the food courts, choices repeat themselves but out the many universities I have visited I've noticed the same problem so I don't think it is very different from other schools

Illinois State is a friendly and open campus focused on bettering their students academically as well as personally.

My advice would be to visit all the colleges yourself of your child is interested in. In your visit look around, talk to students, talk to teachers, and ask plenty of questions. This gives you a feel of the campus. After all you will be spending years there. Don't hesitate to ask questions, because whoever you ask, will have once been in your shoes. The visit is one of the most important aspects in chosing a school. It's like shopping around for a car, you always test drive before you buy, so for college, you browse campuses and test them all out.

A person who is focused and ready to succed, as well as someone who is outgoing and willing to take chances in order to better themselves via their education.

Matthew

Make sure to not send your kids to Lincoln College Normal. It is the most terrible eductational institution you will ever see. Choose a place where friends are close, but the friends that are close actually are intellectually stimulating.

My classmates are the average students for the most part: middle class, bright, and pretty normal.

Choosing which college is right for you may be one of the most important decisions of your life. College is the place where you make your lifelong friends; the place where you learn the skills that you will use for a lifetime, whether they are your career or people skills. The actual place or campus that you land on is not the most important part of your experience. Always choose the place where you feel the most comfortable because you will be yourself in that environment and let other people see the real you. College is not about the classes that you couldn?t get into because you had a late registration date; college is about the new friends you made to complain to about not getting into that class. Making true friends is the most important part of college. They are to stay up late with you to prep you for an early exam, go out on the town with, and make the most of a crummy situation. Make the most of every situation and never waste time because you always think that you have much more of it than you really do. Four years really does fly past.

Before I came to this school I wish I would have known that it is not very culturally diverse. I like to experience different cultures and there is not much of an opportunity to do that at Illinois State University.

Caitlin

Illinois State University is a fun college with strong feelings of closeness, yet independence and also has a strong focus on hard work and accademic excellence while still encouraging a healthy social life in order to do your absolute best mentally and emotionally while attending ISU.

Illinois State University is probably best known as a school for teachers. I understand they have an excellent teaching program. However, the College of Fine Arts at ISU is also very well known. Many students who graduate from ISU's College of Fine Arts are well respected in Chicago when auditioning or looking for jobs, and are expected to do a wonderful job due to the education they recieved at ISU.

The best advice I can give to students or parents about finding the right college is to experience what your college has to offer in your decided major hands-on. I am an acting major at Illinois State University, and I truly knew that I wanted to attend ISU when I saw one of their main-stage shows that was done absolutely superbly. The show was "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom," and the acting was phenomenal, and the costume design and set design looked like something on Broadway. When I saw that ISU could produce such an amazing show, something that I wished I could've been apart of myself, I knew right then and there that I wanted to learn from the faculty at this school, because they were able to produce shows of the caliber that I wanted to be apart of. I had experienced theater at other schools that didn't even compare to what ISU had to offer, but I'm glad I had both experiences so that I could know in the end, that ISU was definitley the perfect choice for me. Therefore, truly experiencing what a school has to offer is the best way.

Michelle

Visit the college you are planning on attending or applying to. I had no desire to attend my college until I walked on campus for the first time on a tour. I fell in love with it and really felt at home. If you aren't going to feel good about the campus you are going to be living on there is no point in going there no matter how good or bad the school is said to be.

I wish I had known about all the help I could have been getting between the tutoring center, counseling center, the career center. They are all so helpful and happy to be of assistance. If I had of known about all these helpful areas of campus, I would have done much better my sophmore year. I am not even kidding on how amazing these facilities are.

As a teacher's assistant, the worst part of my school is the low self-esteem the freshman seem to come in to college with. I would love to see more freshman come in with more open minds ready to improve themselves rather than having a hard time facing challenges.

Kristina

ISU is a big university with that small town university feel. It's cozy and inviting, but big enough that you have a lot of opportunities to network. It's a great environment, so welcoming, unlike any I've ever seen before.

My advice goes to parents, please be supportive of your students' right to choose. I know you feel you have a say in it because of the financial aspect, however, please let your students make the choice, let them decide and find their niche. And my advice to students is to find somewhere you feel at home, and enjoy your time in college, it's the best time of your life. Good luck!

The best thing about ISU is the people that go there. We really are a family and everyone is so incredibly nice, funny, smart, and good looking! Hands down the best thing about ISU is the people that you will meet there.

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.