Normal, IL
Illinois State University

Video courtesy of Illinois State University.

Founded in 1857, Illinois State University was the first public university in the state and is one of the Midwest’s oldest institutions of higher education. It is a coeducational, residential university.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

Fixed  rate loan

Vicky

If I could talk to my senior self, I would emphasize the importance of applying for scholarships. Even though jobs are said to be available on-campus, it can be very difficult to obtain one. This is for the same reason that all of the other students need money too! Whenever you see an opportunity presented to you (such as a scholarship) go for it! There is no reason why you should not give yourself the chance to apply for it. Of course, you may be lazy to write the essay for it but trust me, your future college-self will thank you later. If you apply to scholarships at the beginning of your senior year, you just might not have to be worrying about money while you are in college. Think about all of that time and energy that you will save by not working while you're in college, and how you will then be able to use it all towards your academic performance!

Students who are not willing to go out of their comfort zone in order to meet new people should not attend this school. It can be very difficult to meet people, and much more difficult to make friends if you do not become involved in a student organization.

What I brag about the most about my school is that the professors really do care about me. They are very encouraging in regards to directing us towards our goals and how certain opportunities can make us the ultimate candidates. Professors here remember your name and will go out of their way to meet with you if you ever need help with anything!

Erin

My college classmates were fun, energetic, career driven, social, and generous people that I loved surrounding myself around.

Things I would tell myself: Take a deep breathe and stop worrying so much. Don't be too hard on yourself. Grades are important, but embracing the college experience is even more important. Get to know your professors very well. In the end, those people can be some of the strongest networking tools you can have. Immerse yourself into campus community; join clubs, and a lot of them. This will only make your college experience that much better. Make mistakes!! This is the first time away from your parents. Skip class, change your major 7 times, sleep all day...This is the best time to figure out who you are as a person and what you are interested in. Don't be shy. Put yourself out there. Introduce yourself to anyone and everyone. This will only help you once you get out of college and into the real world. If I could tell myself one very important thing I would say, "you don't get these moments very often, so stop and enjoy them!" Most importantly, have fun!

The best thing about my school was having the option to join a sorority. This allowed me to create friendships that I will have for the rest of my life. It also offered many opportunities for volunteering in which I was able to get involved within my community. I know who I am today is shaped by being in my sorority. It helped me become an adult and handle responsibility as well as understand the importance of giving back.

Maggie

My classmates are passionate about using their education to improve their current and future communities.

Be all in. Join every club that interests you, but only stick with the ones you love. Say hello to strangers, they might be your best friends tomorrow. Smile even when you don't feel like it, because one day you'll realize these really were the best years of your life. Talk to your professors. They're a well of practical knowledge that you can't get from textbooks. Follow your instincts. You don't have to know what you want to do with your life, just start with what you want to learn. Don't be afraid to change your major. Figure out what and who you believe in. It's important. Be with people who push you to be better and do better. If your dreams don't scare you, dream bigger. Don't be content with living a good life. Prepare yourself to live a great one.

The best thing about Illinois State University is the sense of community. The students have drive to form meaningful and lasting relationships, and do so through organizations that improve the community both on campus and off campus.

Madeline

Illinois State is a welcoming, exciting place to atttend. With so many students, the opportunities are endless, but yet there's still a small school feel that makes it very easy to get to know professors and customize your education.

Trust your gut. High School Senior Madeline questioned everything. She questioned what others thought of her. She questioned whether or not she was making the right decisions, and she questioned what she wanted for herself. However, in retrospect I knew that this old version of Madeline knew what she wanted. I was once so consumed with making the "perfect" choices that I ignored the only thing that could guide me in making all my decisions: my gut. Having completed a semester in college, I've learned that I know what I want, and when faced with tough choices, I learned to take a breath, think about what I wanted out of my college experience, and realized I knew exactly what to choose. Whether the choices affected my relationships, academics, or my extracurriculars didn't matter. College is a time to figure out who I am. In keeping with that, I have to trust that my gut feeling will guide me in the way I'm supposed to go, allow me to learn from my mistakes, and enjoy what the next four years have to offer me.

I wish I would have known just how many opporunities were avialable at ISU. I started college with an idea of what I wanted to do unaware that I could do so much more at Illinois State.

Ethan

The best thing about Illinois State University is without a doubt the education program. The school itself was founded in 1859 with the sole purpose of preparing future teachers and that commitment to excellence has not wavered since. ISU has remained a top ten college in the country for producing top quality teachers and today's graduates are having no trouble finding employment. Some employers have said that the average first year teacher with an Illinois State degree has the experience and skills of a second year teacher. I am in the right place to earn my degree.

I wish I had known that applying myself in high school would lead to life being easier in college. My problem in high school was I never fully applied myself in areas where I should have. I could have earned the grades that would earn me scholarships and lessen the finanicial burden when the time came to attend college but I just waltzed through high school without a care in the world. Now I have to work even harder today to undo my mistakes from yesterday.

Luke

Life is about to get weird. People are gonna be a lot different than you, and are going to be in your face about it on occassion. You don't have to give in to peer pressure, but don't be afraid to have a good time. Make sure to call Mom and Nana every two weeks or so. Make sure to get a job on campus, because you'll need all the help you can get. College is a sink or swim environment, where the people high up don't care if you sink; as long as they get their monthly pound of flesh, they'll "support" you. But hey, Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

As it is with any college, it is expensive. The in-state tuition is not astronomically high, but it is too high for someone to afford without the use of private bank loans.

My school is one of the best colleges for potential teachers, particularly teachers who are going into early childhood or elementary education.

Emilia

It has a very "homey" feeling about it. Even though students are away from home and are missing their families, there are opportunities for students to find their second families around campus. The school makes you feel close and that it's okay to be away from your parents.

Work harder. Get a better GPA. Study constantly till you get that A. The ACT is no joke, study for it and try your hardest. Make wise choices and your education in high school really does determine your life so act like your straight A's is all that matters.

The most frustrating thing about school has to be some of the options for breakfast and dinner. Sometimes people just want to eat healthy and the healthy options those days aren't the greatest. Overall though, Illinois State has the best food from any other college that I heard about.

Peyton

The courses I am currently in are mostly general education courses which allow for students with all levels of determination and drive, with that being said there are many hardworking students, like myself that strive to do the best on every assignment or exam they are given.

If I were to go back in time to give high school me advice, I would tell myself to do what I love to do. I have recently been looking back and realizing that I was wasting a lot of my time taking class in school that did not interest me. I wish I could have taken other classes that were more appealing to me rather than taking what my family and friends recommended for me to take. Looking back on high school, I really did prepare myself for college by knowing what I am interested in. Throughout high school I completed every business course my school had to offer. After taking those courses I realized that I loved the business industry and want to work in some aspect of it after college.

There are many things that can frustrate a student at Illinois State University, but many in my opinion are positive. The biggest frustration I get at ISU is that there are so many upper level classes I would like to enroll in right now but am unable to because of prerequisites and general education courses. Though this can be irritating, the way I am going about getting to those courses sooner is I am currently taking 18 credit hours this semester and plan to take 6 credit hours of online courses over this upcoming summer so I can get ahead.

Stephen

Best known for its positive atmosphere. The community is very friendly.

Best known for its positive atmosphere. The community is very friendly.

I would tell myself that all great things take time. The person that I am now in highschool, is not the person I will be when I am older. I was not happy with myself when i was in highschool. I was unmotivated and didn't have a plan for my future. I would tell myself that before I worry about my future, I should work on myself. I should become a better person and persue my interest. Anything worth having is worth working for. Good things will come my way but not all at once.

I wish I would have known how great this school was. I never knew it could be such a great school with such a friendly student body. It was very unexpected

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.