Normal, IL
Illinois State University

Video courtesy of Illinois State University.

Founded in 1857, Illinois State University was the first public university in the state and is one of the Midwest’s oldest institutions of higher education. It is a coeducational, residential university.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois State University

Fixed  rate loan

Quiance

My classmates are vibrant, enthusiastic and goal driven individuals who make the college experience even more worth while.

My school is best known for firstly being the oldest university in Illinois and also being one of the top schools in the country for education majors.

Some good advice I would give myself as a high school senior would be to become more disciplined. As a senior in high school I admit that I slacked off becuase I felt I was in great standing as a student preparing to graduate in the top 10% of my class. I would return to tell myself that the top 10% of my school is only a very small sampling in comparison to a university, and that I will need to work extremely hard to keep up with the top in a very large university. More avid advice would be to do more research on colleges and become well aquainted with the new responsibilities being bestowed upon me. One of the hardest things to grasp, that is not taught in high school, is the proccess of applying for and receiving financial student aid. The last bit of information I would provide is to follow your dream and do not attempt to please your parents by choosing a major that could possibly net a high salary. This is probably the most important because no matter what, your destiny will always keep you around your purpose.

christina

Illinois State Univeristy is known for its great nursing and teaching programs. Most people I know are an education major of somesort, or in the nursing field. It also is known for being the first teaching college in the state.

If I had the chance to go back in time to talk to my highschool self, I would say to not worry so much. The small problems you face in high school with friends, family, or even school work will not matter in a year. The only thing you should focus on is getting the grades you need to succeed and maintaining a positive attitiude towards everything that comes your way. I would tell myself that it may be frightening to leave your life behind and start over once you're in college, but it will be the best thing to ever happen to you. You should also make smart decisions at all times. Anything you do will affect your future in some way. College is not something to fear, it's an oppurtunity to find yourself and make something of your life. Find something you love and pursue it and do not let anyone or anything get in the way of it.

There are a lot of different types of people at my school. Someone who wants a big college feel with a lot of social events should not attend this school. It is also not a school with thousands of people. It has a medium population. If someone wants a big school with a big campus and crazy events, this school is not for them.

Kelly

My classmates range from quite to enthusiastic, but all of them are willing to listen to eveyones thoughts.

If I could go back and tell my high school senior self about college life is that it is not as hard as high school teacheres make it seem. You know how to manage your time, you will do fine. Do not forget to spread your studying out because filling one night with studying is not going to help you.

I wish that I knew that it is okay to ask people for help, no matter how small, because everyone has been in my shoes and know that people need help sometimes.

Sydney

I brag that I have a double major in Political Science and Philosophy, because it sounds sophisticated and intelligent. But about the school itself--not much. I just haven't had enough experiences with the school yet.

I don't know, I haven't actually started my classes yet. I just transferred from the local community college. My personal experiences with the school are limited, and other information on the school I've drawn from friends who attend already.

Breana

Although many other colleges have a lot of school spirit, I feel like at ISU we never give up on our teams no matter what their win-lose record is. Football and men's basketball usually attract the most people, and the fans are always great. As a member of the marching band, it's always fun to play our fight song to get the fans into the game.

If I could go back and give my high school senior self advice about college, I would tell myself things to make the transition easier and more fun. The first thing I would tell myself would be to take one or two general education classes at a local community college during the summer before college to get ahead and possibly graduate early. As of now, I am set to graduate on time in four years in May 2016. For me, the transition into college life wasn't too difficult mostly because I was in marching band and I had no choice but to meet new people. There are a few other things that I would tell myself to do differently going into my freshman year of college: Don't be afraid to meet new people. Almost everyone is away from home and in the same boat of transitioning. On the topic of new people, if you have a roommate talk to them. Ask them to get lunch or dinner with you. Also, don't worry about being away from home for long periods of time, just stay busy with your school work and other school functions.

I usually brag about the size of the campus and how beautiful it is. The very first time my family and I went on a tour at Illinois State University, we all fell in love with the campus and liked how student friendly it is. I would say about 85 percent to 90 percent of the academic buildings are on, what we call, The Quad. Pretty much everything on campus is in walking distance, from the dorms, the library, and the student center.

Lynnette

This school offers one of the very few in the country, a BA degree in special education in low vision and blindness. It is a very rare and special skill to learn and trade to then teach to others, it will be an honor to attend ISU.

Lynnette. Do not get married at the age of 18, you are so young. You have college and travel and partying, and so many other things to do. Lynnette, don't have a baby at 18 1/2, children will keep you so busy it will steal away your own youth. Once you have a baby your childhood ends as a new person's childhood begins. Why did you start college and not go back? Don't have another baby, your only 20. And look at your life, your working as a waitress to make ends meet and getting help from the govement for food stamps and health insurance. Lynnette you finally seem to have your marriage and your finances togather about the age of 25, you bought your first house, your husband has a good job. Why are you not back in school, why did you have a 3rd child? At 26 your husband becomes permanatly and totally disabled from a car accident. Here you are. No college education, no way to pay the bills, the husband can't physically do it. You have 3 little kids counting on you. Get back to school. Lynnette finished AA '05.

I just was accepted at this college. I have not attended yet, but will attend in the fall 2014.

Brianna

"Save your money and get a job during school!" My mom and dad are working hard to get me through college, but they are struggeling. I know they are making sacrafices for me, but they are having a hard time helping me. I need to get $3,000 to pay for my tuition in order to attend the college I love. I would tell my senior self that Illinois State University is the right college for me, I am just going to have to work hard in order to attend. I would tell myself I need to get a job during school and apply for scholarsjips every day so my mother does not lose her hair over stressing about me. I love my parents and I am so lucky that they are helping me with my education, but now it's my turn to help them.

I consider the atmosphere at my school to be the best thing about Illinois State. Everyone is happy and willing to work hard to get results.

Individuals who do not like big lecture halls should not attend this school. There are smaller classes, but for your general education classes students will mostly likely have one class in a lecture hall every semester.

John

Very friendly place and basically anyone would fit in no matter what your major is.

Its best known for its school of teaching and also business.

To keep calm and save alot more money beforehand because it does not come cheap. Also apply for scholorships

My school is everything I could've imagined and more; it is my new home.

My school is everything I could've imagined and more; it is my new home.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would be sure to tell her to value her time with her friends everyday and not to stress out as much. I would tell her to go into freshman year as a blank slate; no expectations of how life will be there because she will undoubtedly be wrong. My main piece of advice would be to take chances. I would remind her that, although she is there most importantly for an education, without taking chances and being herself, she won't get the full experience. Risks, chances, and exploration; that's what college is really about.

If you don't enjoy being around large amounts of people, Illinois State University might not be the school for you.

Illinois State University is the perfect combination of the lagre school feel but the small school atmosophere. The is a lot of school spirt and everyone loves to spred the red. Illinois State is the perfect school for everyone.

I would like to tell myself that it is not that important to go to the same school as your friends. I know that i have been with them since kindergarden but that doesn't mean that we have to go to the same school. You make so many new friends in college and you shouldn't be worried about making new friends. I would alos like to tell my self that it is important to take my school work seriously. I wouldn't take blow-off, easy classes senior year because that makes the transition to college that much harder.

The friends that I have made here at ISU are all so very accepting. We come from very different places but are the best of friends. There is nvery any judement, and it is alwasy a positive place to be.

Illinois State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.