Illinois State University

« See more reviews of Illinois State University

Illinois State University is a smaller campus. You can walk from one end of campus to ther other in about ten minutes. There are several areas of residence halls. There is a beautiful quad where students can study, play games, and take pictures. The grounds committee does very well maintaining the quad's appearance. The quad is full of trees, one of every type of tree found in Illinois can be found on Illinois State University's campus. The quad is surrounded by academic buildings, so the setting feels like a small school. Two laps around the quad equals one mile. We have a castle on campus!! Illiniois' past governor, John Peter Altgeld loved the gothic-style castles. He had castles constructed on five Illinois University campuses. It is rumored that if these castles were aligned, they would form one huge castle. About a 3-5 minute walk from the quad will take you to the football field and Redbird Arena. Ober this way, there is also the Horton Field House, tri towers (residence halls), and a couple of academic buildings.

When I first visited ISU, it was a grey, rainy day, and we were given a presentation in Braden Auditorium, which looked terribly out-dated. All of the seats, carpet, and walls were the same disgusting orange color, and I sat there and thought to myself, "how can I go to a school for interior design that has such an ugly auditorium?!" In addition, walking around outside on a rainy day is always a bummer, so I had a general bad feeling about the school. Many of the buildings are old, but an equal number have been updated and are technologically advanced, which is something that you can't see unless you visit every building. To someone who has never seen ISU, upon first glance on a rainy day, it can look old and out-dated, but on a sunny day, it is quite the opposite.

The town of Normal was built around the university. However, the campus is big, there are 6 dorms and 2 off campus apartment complexes. The Quad has all the academic building which are less than a 6 min walk to walk across the Quad. The Stadium and Arena are off campus a little but they are really nice. The library is 6 floors with multiple computer labs. There are many food vendors on campus such as Subway, Burger King, Jamba Juice, Freshens, Pizaa Hut, McClaister Deli, and Einestein Bros Bagels. The Rec Center is state of the art, with a rock wall, pool, basketball court, equipment, and there are classes you can to stay fit, operating hours are early early morining to late at night. Guess what... All these services are FREE to ISU students!!

Illinois State University is absolutely amazing because it has something for everyone; including hundreds of resident students orginizatoins such as Capture the Flag and Students Serving Individuals with Disabilities so that students may have clean fun and serve their community while obtaining their college degree.

Illinois State University is a small campus with a big campus feel. Its students are diverse and unique in every way possible. The individuals who attend ISU care about their education and want to make a difference. This institution is a very positive one and has many distinguished alumni.

Illinois State University is a fun college with strong feelings of closeness, yet independence and also has a strong focus on hard work and accademic excellence while still encouraging a healthy social life in order to do your absolute best mentally and emotionally while attending ISU.

Illinois State is a welcoming, exciting place to atttend. With so many students, the opportunities are endless, but yet there's still a small school feel that makes it very easy to get to know professors and customize your education.

Illinois State is unorganized in the sense the classes are not easy to register because they do not provide enough courses per semester without prereqs and blocks but social-wise, very easy to get get involved in activities.

Illinois state is a pretty big school that is very well maintained and upkept with a beautiful quad (which is a arboretum containing every tree native to illinois), lots of friendly people, and very helpful professors.

Illinois State University is a great choice if you are looking for a big beautiful campus to meet new people and also want the opportunity to get great help professors and advisors.