Illinois State University

« See more reviews of Illinois State University

This school is very welcoming. When I was in between deciding what school to go to I visited ISU and the answer was clear. I instantly felt at home and I could picture myself attending class and sporting events, and just living happily here. This school is very focused on its students, and almost every major must complete an internship of some sort to obtain experience in their field before graduating and entering the work force. We have great activities and extracurriculars for students to do in their free time so their is never a dull moment at this school.

For the education program, Illinois State University offers a year-long internship called "PDS" (Professional Development School). With this program, you are granted a full year as a student teacher, interacting with two different grade levels. You are in the classroom 3 days a week at a minimum, and you take your senior method courses at whichever site you choose to be located at. There are several locations spread across the Chicagoland area, and a few in central Illinois, making it very convenient to choose a place to live when considering this program.

Illinois State University has its entire campus surrounding the quad and there is never more than a eight minute walk from one class to another. Also the school administrators have set up a group of advisors specifically for freshman who will work tirelessly to ensure that you can assimilate into college and dorm life with as little interruption as possible. I have had no shortage of help in maintaining good grades. Beyond the class room ISU has over 300 register student organizations that are perfect ways to meet new people. and build your resume.

What’s unique about Illinois State compared to others is the city that it’s located. Normal is far different from my hometown and other schools considered! It’s not congested with working professionals nor is it a ghost town. Illinois State alone almost makes up for the entire activity within the city. Many of the surrounding businesses are catered to the college students. Also, the town of Bloomington is right up the street that’s booming with many businesses, malls, movies and restaurants in case the students want to get away for a big city feel!

Illinois State University is known for the quality of teachers that graduate from the school. The research high school is a great opportunity for future teachers to learn, apply their knowledge, and attempt new strategies before entering into the work force. For the sciences, the research facilities are top of the line. Each professor is well-educated, published, and professional. A few of Illinois State’s notable alumni went on to become famous television actors, such as Jane Lynch, who stars in Glee, and Laurie Metcalf, who appeared in Roseanne.

This campus is great! There are so many cool facts about it too :) The 11th floor of the resicence hall known as Atkin (where I live!!) is in the top 10 haunted places in the state of IL. One of the academic buildings is known to be haunted by a former librarian. Illinois State University was the first public state university in Illinois, founded in 1857. Watterson Towers (residence halls) are the tallest buildings between Chicago and St. Louis. These towers are also the tallest residence halls in the state of IL.

The thing thats unque about my school compared to other schools and the way students are friendly, trustworthy, and care about one another. When I attend new classes for the new semster I know there's someone in class willing to sit next to me and be my friend. When I mistakenly leave behind my flashdrive in class, I know someone has reported and upon arriving to class next time I'm sure of where to find it. My fellow peers are always caring if someone needs help on campus and are gladly to lend a helping hand.

SInce my high school was so large (over 4,500 students), I felt like attending a small school was almost like a step backwards for me in terms of meeting interesting people, available activities and opportunities, etc. However, some large state university campuses I visited were too spread out and congested for me. I really like Illinois State because it is a large campus that offers so much in terms of academic and social opportunites, but it is easy to navigate and has a smaller, friendlier vibe.

I love being at Illinois State University because no matter how many people are attending the school you always feel like your a part of a family. When you are walking to class people will smile at you as you pass and there are many clubs and groups in the Quad that are always trying to get you to join their team and to make more friends. I love how open the school is and friendly all the people are.

The best thing about my school is we pride ourselves on being a large campus with small campus feel, there are many students that go to Illinois State, yet there are small classes that provide students with a comfortable easy to relax and calm enviroment without the stress of too many kids in the classroom also the faculty here is so willing to inveset so much time that there is no reason to fail.