Illinois State University

« See more reviews of Illinois State University

The worst thing about Illinois State is that we are stuck in the middle of the cornfields which limits the potential diversity of the university. The students here are suburban "transplanets" who already know other people from back home. Not that I haven't meet great people, I just wish that the campus itself was situated in a more urban environment that fosters the opportunity to interact and meet other people. ISU's rural placement makes forming connections for internships and with industry professionals difficult because students are not practicing their work in the correct field needed to do so.

The lack of school spirit, specifically towards the athletics, is somewhat disappointing as a student at Illinois State. While students at other universities across the country have pride in their schools' athletics and attend the games with enthusiasm, I have noticed this is not a common interest of the students here. This is an aspect of college that I myself, as well as other incoming freshmen, was looking forward to but unfortunately did not meet my expectations. While ISU is not totally lacking spirit, an increase in attendence and participation at sporting events would be warmly welcomed.

The worst thing about my school is that some of the teachers do not seem to be very qualified to be teaching at a university. Since I am in the Honors Program, I get to pick my classes earlier than everyone else, so I get to choose teachers that I have heard good things about. Many of my friends, however, have gotten stuck with really bad teachers. We have been put in the same classes but with different teachers, and I understand the classes much better because my teachers are more passionate about the subjects.

The worst thing about Illinois State in my oppinion is making friends in the beginning ofthe year. It is very hard to meet people in your classes since they are large lectures. My main group of friends were people I met on my floor or were friends from high school. It would be nicer if we had smaller class sizes so it would be easier to get to know people. Although once you finish your Gen Ed classes the class sizes get smaller and you start to see the same people everyday.

Although it is pretty difficult figuring out a bad characteristic of Illinois State University, I think the worst thing about the university is the internet availability. It does not cause problems often, but there have been some occasions when the internet is not available to students in the resident halls or in the recreational center. This is quite the nuisance when a student is attempting to complete online course work or, like any typical college student, watch Netflix.

It doesn't really give me the full hands on experience I need for my Advertising Major. I came here for a year to save my single mom some money but I feel a city school would give me a much better opportunity to intern and discover what Advertising really is. Also, Illinois State University doesn't even have an advertising major, the closest thing is visual communication which wouldn't really give me the direct training and experience to pursue what I really want to do.

People are not open to other cultures and people from different lifestyles. People are judged by how much money they have and how much alcohol they are willing to drink. Being poor is a description. It's a classification. It is not who someone is. There is so much more to life than alcohol. Becuase so many people consider you to be uncool because you don't drink, they miss out on an opportunity to know a great person.

Honetsly I can not thing off the top of my head what I do not like about this school. One thing could be the amount of work that is put on us at the end of the year by our teachers. Finals are coming up and everyone is getting more stressed and then the teacher anounces that you will have a paper due or test the week before finals when we should be concentrating on finals not another assignment.

The worst part about Illinois State is that there is very little diversity among the students that attend and the diversity we do have seems often times to be segregated. The community that I went to highschool in was extremely diverse and I find it hard to believe that many people at my school can not even tell the difference between someone who is Mexican or Indian!

Everyone seems to have problems with counselors and classes. Either they can't get the class they need, counselors aren't available, counselors not listening, counselors just having you plug along rather than individualizing your education... I could go on. I have heard too too many stories about requirements being missed due to counselors.