Illinois State University

« See more reviews of Illinois State University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

I really cannot put the students of ISU into a stereotype because that would not do justice to the students here at all. Here you will find students who are more on the preppy side, urban, rural, suburban, hipsters, etc. I feel as though ISU is one of the more low key universities just because I find that many of my peers I have interacted with during my years here came here not really knowing a ton of people from their high school, like myself. I feel that schools like Southern, Northern, and U of I are the popular choices, and some choose ISU because they know that they won't be stuck with their friends from high school and because they want to go to a place where they will be getting more of a fresh start and new scenery. At least I find this to be common for peers I have talked to from the Chicago land area. ISU is like a mini-world in that we have a variety of people here! Yes there is a large majority of White students, but the minority population is steadily growing. With over 20,000 students here, you are BOUND to find SOMEONE you make a personal connection with.

With it being a state school in central Illinois, you get all walks of life here. A majority of the students come from the suburbs of Chicago, yet there are also students scattered from all over the state that come here. There are a few stereotypes for our school having a big party scene, but college is whatever experience you make it. Of course there are the sorority and fraternities who proudly paste their greek letters on their clothes, but it is not a necessity to "fit in" here like many other schools. I must say our school spirit is lacking. On homecoming, the stadium seems practically empty, because everyone is tailgating instead! ISU students like to have a good time, whether that be through joining student organizations, getting involved on campus, rushing a sorority or fraternity, doing intramurals, experiencing the party scene, or joining campus ministry.

The stereotype for students at this school is that we are not really intelligent students, but instead a bunch of party kids. People usually think that because we did not go to the University of Illinois that we did not get in. These stereotypes are very false. Personally, I did not go to the University of Illinois because I did not like the campus. It was too big for my likings and I felt that Illinois State University's campus was a much better fitting for me. Every college is going to have party kids, but Illinois State University is not different than other colleges. We have a mix of all different types of students who are all unique in their own ways.

A huge stereotype is that a lot of the students a ISU are here because they didn't have a high enough ACT score to get into U of I, or they didn't get accepted. That is false for many students including myself, who only wanted to go to ISU because it is a great school. Another stereotype is that the athletes stick to themselves. The rest of the stereotypes are pretty standard. Like high school you have the jocks, the smokers, the nerds, however in college everyone is a lot more mixed in. You can tell who each person is, but there aren't really clicks. Everyone is pretty friendly and you can make friends with just about anyone!

Illinois State University is most commonly known for it's education programs. However, as I have been here, I have seen that the Theater department and Psychology department and many others are also quite awesome. I, myself am a Psychology major, and I think that ISU offers so many opportunities and have amazing staff that is willing to help you with anything that most schools may overlook. When I usually tell people I go to ISU, I have to clarify that I am a Psychology major because they would automatically assume that I would be an education major.

The stereotype of the students that go to Illinois State University is that we are a party school. First of all, in any college or university that you attend there will always be parties going on we're all young and like to enjoy ourselves. However, not everyone at ISU likes to party on the weekends. Second of all, for those who don't like to party ISU has a lot of events that happen throughout the week and the weekend. Getting involved in an organization here on campus is a great way to meet students who may share the same interest as you.

I would disagree with anyone who said there is a stereotype of students at this university. There are the jocks who are on the sports teams, there are the girls and guys involved in greek life, there are the honors students who tend to be the most academic oriented. But with that said, there is everything in between. The typical student here may be any of the above or none of the above. There is a good balance between all different types of people on this campus.

Some sterotypes of students at ISU is that most students party and drink all the time, however, there is a small percentage of students who party and drink. This sterotype is inaccurate while students do particpate in social events, there are many things to do on campus. The school puts on alot of alternative to alchol programs, which are really fun! Events like Reggie Nites (free boweling) Double Feature Friday (showing of recent movies)

Often times, the students at our school are stereotyped at being party people. While it is a large university, it is easy to see how someone could think that. However, Illinois State is a university with a large, diverse population of students. Not everyone goes out to parties, and there are many events for those who want something other than the party scene.

Illinois State University has a extremely diverse student body. In my four years at this school I have been able to meet a great number of friends with completely different backgrounds, personalities, and stereotypes. There is a greek life at Illinois State, however it does not dominate the university like you may see at other schools.