Illinois State University

« See more reviews of Illinois State University

The best advice I would tell myself is to not worry about anything and just be friendly. If you keep an open mind about everything and just go with the flow then everything will work out in the end. You need to make sure that you don't procrastinate too much with your homework or studying. You know how sometimes you would wait till the night before the test to start studying, that will not work in college. Always remember that the most important thing is to stay organized. Buy a big calendar and write everything on it. Write down when you have a test, when homework is due, extra credit opportunities, and anmything else you can think of. Even if its just something small and you think you will remember it, write it down anyways. It is so much easier to plan your time when everything is right in front of your face. Make sure you work hard but don't stress too much, afterall it is college and you want to have a little fun. Just make sure you have a good balance between working and having fun.

My college experience this past school year has been very beneficial to the start of my life. I believe that attending college is very valuable because it allows you to become exposed to a greater variety of different careers. The classes you take help you become a well-rounded individual. The college experience has also shown me how important it is to obtain a degree because most jobs will not hire you if you have anything less than an associate's now. Also, college is helping to lead me to success hopefully in the real world. My college experience has also allowed me to meet many different people aof different backgrounds and religions and interact with others through classes, living on campus, and through clubs. I have been able to do everything on my own&college prepares you mentally and physically for the real world. It shows how mom and dad aren't always going to be around to do everything for you, so you have to take on your own responsibilities and take account of your actions.

Become involved as many organizations that do not interfere with classes. Every time I enroll in a student organization I meet new people and create new networks of friends. In college you do not want to hang out with the same ten people. I am currently involved in alternative spring break. Durring my spring beak, I will be traveling with ten other people to do a service project. I am also involved in habiat for humanity. Students in this group build homes on saturdays for familys who do not own a home. In college there are activities for whatever a student is intrested in. Whether it be community service, greek, sports, dance, theatre etc. It is out there. However, the student has to find it. Organizatios will not go looking for you. It took me a semester to become involved with any student organization. If I had known I would have met the people I did by becomming involved, I would have become involved sooner. It is a great experience! do not waste time because college goes quick!

Go to college as soon as possible, because waiting isn't worth it. You slip up into the worst of life that you think is fun and games until you realize that you wasted your time and could of done more. Don't go and regret it later. Take the initiative and go. Once you waste your first year, you won't get it back. I went to jail, fell in love, have a kid, and is backed into the corner of life with no assurance or stability. That means I have no job. Why you ask? You're prone to not care and lose work by doing the stupidest things and associate with the wrong people like you never thought you would. Now, the only person to help you mentally rehabilitate is God. Financially? God may guide you, and you're mom would help, but in the end they say one thing that hits you. "Go to school!" Three words that have a whole lot of meaning. I searched for fast jobs, they don't pay well and hours aren't enough. Where does the search in the end lead? Career training or college and that's enough said!

As I think back to the myself as a high school senior, I can just recall all of the anxiety I had of leaving home and having to fend for myself. Looking back, I feel as if i would tell myself something along that lines saying that everything will work itself out. We all have a path in life, and we have to make the best of the situations that we are handed. This is the time for you to focus on yourself and find out what it is that YOU want in life. This is the time to find yourself, and where you fit into society. This is when you discover that the world is here at your disposal, and that you can do anything you set you mind to. Once you find that one professional that you are passionate about, you can then put your heart and soul into it. This all starts with just believing in yourself, and having a great attitude on life. With that, along with the support form your family and friends, life if a breeze and you will have the adventure of a life time doing so. Just trust the process!

If I could tell my high school senior self what I know now, I would advise myself not to give up. I would tell myself that everything would work out by the beginning of college. I would try to explain how things would not be as difficult as they seemed back then. In high school, I was very stressed with the IB program and I was nervous about passing the exams. I would encourage myself to try my hardest in all of my classes and do my best on all of the exams. I would inform myself that the idea of taking a year off before going to college was very beneficial. I was able to get a full time job to support myself through my first year of college. This information would be helpful to my high school senior self because I was worried about college and my financial situation and the possiblilty of taking some time off before continuing my education. Overall, if I could go back in time, I'd let myself know that college would be a fun and wonderful experience and I would not regret it.

There are so many great things I have gotten out of my college experience its hard to even list them. Obviously there is the degree I plan to earn, but there is so much more. The best and most useful thing that I have gained is the ability to be fully independant. Over the last few years I have gone from living in a dorm with a meal plan and money from my dad, to now renting a house, paying my own expenses and bills on time, paying for my own food, going to work, and doing all my nessesary school work all on my own. The second thing I learned was how to get information for myself. All my life (and probably most other kids) my dad has done everything for me. When I got out on my own I needed to learn how to do things for myself, now I feel like I can tackle anything that life throws at me. When a problem or situation arises, I know how to fix it or can teach myself what to do. And lastly are all the awsome people I met here and all the lasting friendships I will have.

After coming to this college and learning what it is about, the one thing that I would go back and tell myself would be to be outgoing. When I first came to campus I stayed in my room a lot and played video games. I never really took in the true college experience here until my junior years. Since then I have met many new people and made many new friends. When I look back on it, the whole that I was here I could have been doing this. Illinois State is a great school that has a open student body. They are very friendly and a lot like me. Like I said, when I first came here I was hesitant but now that I have met these new people I have learned that their are people at this school that share the same interests as me. The other piece of advice that I would have given myself was to read. I never was good at reading and when I arrived at college, most classes assigned reading. I usually fell behind and had to catch up on them. Now I read them when assigned and I am doing awesome.

When I was a senior in high school, I had no idea what the future looked like. If I could talk to my former 18 year old self, I'd place a hand on my shoulder and say "open your eyes." The world is far more vast than I could have imagined back then. Having a goal in life is great, but having multiple goals is what truly gives someone the opportunity to achieve success. Creating a back-up plan is not a sign of weakness. On the contrary, it shows your ability to prevail in multiple things. When I was in high school, I wanted so desperetly to become an actress that I never looked in another direction. I was on a one-way street, and the idea of that path ending was non-existant. Maturation has taught me that there's a plethera of ways to feel full-filled in life. At 22, I live the motor "The world is my oyster" and I wish I could have expressed that upon my younger self. Maybe I could have had a head-start on this whole college thing instead of waiting so long to enroll.

If I had to go back to my senior self and tell myself about all the transition that you face in college I would first tell myself to prepare for large quantities of reading. I would tell myself to be prepared for all of the hardwork you must endure in order to succeed that you have many different expectation and noone holds your hand. College Profesors don't care if you go to class or do the homework, or do well on your test, college is all about your individual self and how willing you are to succeed. That in order to do well you must work hard, and to learn, learn to the best of your ability and do not take what you have for granted. Finally I would tell myself cherish what you have the memories you leave behind and remember that you are on your own now and make it worth while, college isn't only about what grades you have but it's about defining yourself who you are, and who you want to be someday, college is about creating you, and making your dreams come true.