Illinois State University

« See more reviews of Illinois State University

Illinois State has a tremendous sense of community. The clases range from large lecture halls to small, specialized classes. There are countless clubs and organizations you have the opportunity to join in order to make friends you'll keep for a lifetime. The most frustrating thing about ISU is that once students join an organization, they tend to stay within the imaginary boundaries set. Friends from the radio station interact scarcely with TV students, one sorority won't spend much time with another, or athletes stick to their own teams. I would like to see more interaction and bonding.

ISU frustrates me because the school should expect more from their students. For example, out of 20,000+ total students, only 300 are in the university's honors program. It takes a few years for each incoming class to realize the full meaning behind attending college and obtaining a degree: college isn't one big party or a continuation of high school; it's the beginning of a life-long jouney. I think that with a little push from the university the students at Illinois State could reach far beyond their expected potential and make fantastic contributions to society.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the reputation it receives from people who do not go to Illinois State University. Most people compare ISU to the University of Illinois and often believe that it is inadequate in comparison. This is an irritating aspect of my school because it is definitely not any worse than any other school. The students and faulty at ISU are all incredibly nice and intelligent. Illinois State University is a great school to discover yourself and meet great people. ISU, without a doubt, does not deserve the reputation it gets.

There are many things that can frustrate a student at Illinois State University, but many in my opinion are positive. The biggest frustration I get at ISU is that there are so many upper level classes I would like to enroll in right now but am unable to because of prerequisites and general education courses. Though this can be irritating, the way I am going about getting to those courses sooner is I am currently taking 18 credit hours this semester and plan to take 6 credit hours of online courses over this upcoming summer so I can get ahead.

The most frustrating part of Illinois State University is the cost of living. Property owners raise prices every year and make students pay per-room. Next year I will be a Junior and will have to take out loans so I can not only pay for a higher education but also afford a $415 rent. It is sad that they are allowed to do this. Students have to live near campus and it is not fair that property managers are making student's dreams harder to achieve.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the tuition. I want to better myself so that when I grow up and decide to have a family I will have a career and not a job living paycheck to paycheck. Paying for college is expensive and I wish there were more deductions as well as more help to lower the cost of tuition and make it more affordable so everyone could attend universities and have a successful life.

The most frustrating thing about Illinois State University are their dorms. The dorm I live in is called Watterson Towers, and is 28 floors. All the dorms on my campus have over 20 floors. It is frustrating trying to get an elevator and is also frustrating because there are dorms completely across campus. This means it takes people who live in that dorm at least 15 minutes to walk to class.

The most frustrating thing about my school is they changed the meal plan this year and most of the students dislike it a lot. The meal plan is now swipe your id when you enter the dining center and you can eat as much food as you want and I do not like that because I do not want to eat all the food I can, especially when it is not good food. I wish we had the old meal plan back.

The most frustrating part about my school is the way it makes promises it can't keep. It said there would be plenty of jobs on campus and I am a sophomore still looking for a job. They also make it seem like they will make everything financially affordable for us but they charge us for every little thing such as books, rec center passes, athletic games, and many other things.

I would say that most frustrating thing about Illinois Sate University has to do with the art department / situation. There are so many nice buildings here on campus and the only ones that are in bad shape are the fine art buildings (there are two). Other than that I am happy with the art department because we have amazing professors and a wide veriety of programs.