Illinois State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Illinois State University

Brooke

It is a great school with good teachers and they are making a great effort to give students a good experience even with covid. I love the town and the people who go here are very nice. The school is nicely kept clean and overall a nice place that you want to be.

Illinois State University is in a great location in Bloomington-Normal. Lot's of places to eat and things to do. Unfortunately you either make your friends at parties or in classes.

I really like this school

Malea

The town is great and the college is really well integrated. Your academic experience really depends on your major. Business majors and education majors do really well but the psychology department is a mess. Your social life will thrive here and fraternities/sororities are really popular.

Meara

This upcoming Fall is going to be my first semester at ISU and I'm so excited. Although I haven't technically taken a class there yet, I look forward to becoming a student a little more every time I visit the campus. For example, I am not much of a math person, but the advisors work with you and make sure that your time at Illinois State is an enjoyable one and that you succeed in each class you enroll in. Also, everything is quite organized and the rules that are set are always in action, which makes me feel safer. I would recommend ISU to anyone who loves to have fun and excel in their courses.

Julissa

It makes you feel wanted just how every student wants to be accepted into their favorite college

Dorothy

I think its is a very decent university. It isn’t too big or small, and it is easy to maneuver from class to class. There are some classes that are really big, but most of the classes I have had have been smaller. Overall, it’s nice but like everything else it has it’s flaws.

Ariel

Overall, I believe Illinois State University is a fairly good school. The academics here are pretty good and most of the professors try to make the classes as enjoyable as they can. Most professors have open office hours for you to drop by in case of any questions or issues. The food could be better, but I'm sure that's how it is at most colleges! There's a few things to do on or around campus as well as a small mall nearby. It kind of sucks but it beats WIU who doesn't have a mall at all. You don't necessarily need a car your first year because of the fact that they have a free bus system for students that basically goes all around Bloomington-Normal. There's a few parties on weekends if you're into the nightlife scene. The Bone also has parties occasionally.

I feel like Illinois state University is a very good school overall. The teachers are really nice and they are really understanding. Also i really like the overall vibe of the campus, the people are really friendly as well. Also the campus is really easy to navigate.

lyndsay

Overall, I truly love being at Illinois State. It is the perfect fit. There are so many opportunities, both academically and socially. The classes are the perfect size and teachers are always willing to help. There is no place I would rather go. It feels just like home.

Keyaira

Illinois State University is a great place to grow as a person, expand your cultural horizons, meet people, and really diverge into academics. It has the perfect balance of providing both academic-focused and extracurricular activities for students. There are plenty of ways to get involved on campus ranging from joining a campus club or getting involved in Greek life. The campus is big, but has that tight-knit small school feel. You commonly encounter the same people who often become life long friends!

Katie

In my opinion, Illinois State University is a very diverse university. Even though the school is known for education, I am personally a criminal justice major and find that I still fit right in. Campus is diverse in terms of students, academics, activities, clubs, jobs, teachers, and more. The teachers I have come to know go above and beyond to provide the assistance that students need when they are willing to ask for help. Outside of classes, there is always something going on and it is so easy to get involved with campus activities and meeting other people. I couldn't be more happy with my decision to attend Illinois State University.

David

Illinois State University does have it faults, but those are either minute and/or not the fault of the university here. For instance, there are a couple of Evangelical Bible thumpers who do what one would expect them to do, but that's to be expected from every campus. Another downside is the ludicrous trash on the grounds, despite the overwhelming abundance of trash cans around campus. Although this speaks more of the average student on campus rather than the staff and university itself. Overall, Illinois State University is a rather good college. The services they provide are fantastic and allow for freshmen to easily acclimate to university life. The many local shops are not only an opportunity for students to enjoy themselves, but are also primarily small businesses, which I find to be a positive thing. Finally, though I didn't get to mention it in the actual ratings, the cost is surprisingly minimal for a University. Sure, it's still expensive as all get out, but at least it doesn't get into the $50,000 per semester like some colleges.

Nicholas

I am going into my second semester at ISU and so far I have no complaints about the school. ISU has made it very easy for me to transition into college life, for it is very different from what I was used to. With everything going on around the campus and all the friendly faces, it was not hard to feel welcomed to this school and environment. The teachers I have so far had were all very knowledgable and personable. The food is great and all the amenities on campus are clean and resourceful.

Tia

Overall, this is a typical state school. The buildings are average, there are mostly large gen ed classes, and there is not much to do here on the weekends if you don't drink. It has decent education for a decent prices, but I don't like it here and I am most likely transferring next semester

Gabrielle

I knew I was going to like Illinois State because of friends who were already enrolled, but I didn't know I was going to love it! The campus is so easy to get around, the teaching staff is great, the food in the dining halls is good, and housing is well managed. I'm getting an excellent education that is not putting me or my family into tremendous debt. I cannot say enough good things about my experience. I am looking forward to my next three years with enthusiasm!

Bridget

Overall, Illinois State is a fantastic place to further yourself socially and academically. After you get through the Group 1 general education courses, the class size dips to around 40 students per class. The professors care about you, but express the need for you to apply yourself if you wish to be successful. Extracurricular options are vast, offering many social, academic, political, athletic, and musical groups. The housing is fine. My only regret about the dorms is that ladders are not provided if you loft. The food is good, particularly Homestyle at Watterson. I think ISU is a great fit for those seeking an affordable and quality education.

Garrett

Its decent. I wasn't very surprised by anything that the school has to offer. It's a really boring area not much to do around the school. For the most part if you want to have fun you're going to have to make it yourself. It just really doesn't give off the college type of vibe I wanted to have.

Barbara

Illinois state has many clubs and groups to get involved with, although it's a big school it has a small school feel and it's not hard to get involved. The campus is great and is over all a beautiful campus, the classes and teachers are great and very interesting

Tia

I believe Illinois State has room for growth. Some faults that lies within the university is the meals they serve and the housing situations. I lived in a quad and I have to say the room size is entirely too small for four people to stay. Approximately 2 to 3 people left living in a quad every semester. In addition, the dining center has no regards for individuals who are vegan. The only comfort food to chow down on is pasta or a salad; and that's on a good day.

Most of the students are from Illinois. It's a small town school, but there is a ton of outside the classroom things to do (and a lot of it is free). The school has a castle and school for circus performers (seriously!). Normal is the trapeze capital of the world! There's always an event in uptown on weekends. Classes are good. Run of the mill state school level.

Jenna

At first I wasn't sure if I liked ISU but then I found some amazing RSO's and groups that I am apart of now and have made some great friends.

Grecia

I love it here at Illinois State University. The campus is not too big or small, so it is easy to get around. We also get to use the public bus for free so we can get to nearby stores like Walmart or Meijer. There are also places within walking distance of campus like CVS Pharmacy or a cute little diner right across the street from my residence hall. The people I encounter here at ISU are always friendly, when I moved in the residence assistant on my floor was very nice and made sure to introduce herself. She is always there for us whenever we need it. My school provides tutoring services for those who are struggling in their classes so that no one falls behind. I have enrolled in tutoring and I have seen positive change in my grades. All in all, I think that Illinois State University is a wonderful school that provides opportunities and resources for the students.

royanna

I love ISU, I have wanted to be a student here since I was in 8th grade, now I finally get my opportunity to do so. They have so many clubs and sororities you can join to be actively involved and help make friends. The campus is easy to get around and easy to understand once you get use to it. The housing and meal plans are simple, and the campus life is a wonderful experience.

Joi

Illinois State University located in Normal, Illinois, is a overall great school. The campus is smaller than most campuses but I enjoy the short distances. Everything is walking distance. There are also Buses that go around campus that are free of charge for all students. The atmosphere is really nice. There is never an excuse as to not having a place to study. The library, even hallways of the dorms are quiet. There is always a place to do homework. The Professors all have office hours where you can get help on assignments. There is also a tutoring office where you can get help with any class. Illinois State is a really good school. Go Red Birds!

Fanny

This is a great university to attend, fun, friendly, professional. Love the people here, everyone is friendly and always helpful. The facilities are very picturesque since some of the buildings are old architecture. Lots of trees and flowers which makes it very relaxing and enjoyable time to spend outside, especially in the fall when the colors of the leaves begin to change.

Lila

My overall opinion of Illinois State University is that it feels like home. It is close to home and is much like high school. I know lots of people and my teachers are always readily available to help. Illinois State brings people together and makes living away from home easy and affordable.

Enoc

the university is good. the campus is walkable if you live in the dorm and the food is good. i would recommend not to pop popcorn in the dorms for that always cause the alarm to start ringing, i would also like to recommend for you to join a frat/sorority or play sports something that will keep you busy and sometimes distract you from always studying that can be very helpful.

Olivia

Illinois State University is one of the best university's out there because they provide the students with a healthy learning atmosphere. The love for the school is showcase in the students and teachers. The campus is highly safe. The RedBird teacher want to see their students excel.

Patrick

I came to Illinois State to study Music Business, and from hearing that they had an overall very good School of Music. When I first came here, like any other incoming freshman, I was nervous and felt on my own, but within a day or so I had already made more friends than I did in high school, and it only kept on growing. You do not need to worry about walking a long distance to class, since almost all the academic buildings are all together on an area called the Quad, and two of the three on campus housing buildings, as well as one of the dining centers, are only about a five minute walk away. There are also so many extracurricular activities on campus that I have lost count, so never fear, there are plenty of ways for you to get involved, as there is a festival at the beginning of the year showcasing them all. Plus, our support for our sports teams cannot be beat! So, if you want a college where you are not that far from home, but also not too close to home, involvement, and convenience, than Illinois State University is the place for you!

Illinois State University is a great school. So far, I haven't had a teacher who didn't offer their help. The campus life is great and mostly everyone is super nice. There is a crowd a friends for everyone, so if you are coming here alone don't be afraid you'll find your group of people!

Sebastian

When I first came to Illinois State University, I was extremely happy. People are very welcoming and it just made it feel like I was at home away from home. There are so many things to do on campus it is insane. One thing that I would like to fix about the overall safety of ISU is the bus. A lot of the time the application for the bus does not work and many people have had to walk in the freezing cold to get to their destination because they do not want to be waiting on the bus. I would suggest fixing that. Other than that the school is so much fun

Garrett

I don't like it. There isn't a lot to do here it's a very small boring town. There needs to be more things around to go and do. I feel like if there where more stores added, or places to go and play sports that the campus would be more active, and more fun. It just doesn't have a whole lot to offer as far as keeping you busy. Also the food is bad. The dining center really needs to get an upgrade to it.

Daria

My overall opinion of Illinois State University is that it is a good school. The social atmosphere is something to get used to but you can adjust. The RSO's at the university is welcoming. It is all about how you make it works. Remember college is about how you make it and not what others make it.

Haley

Illinois State University can be found in the adorable town of Normal, Illinois. Uptown Normal is directly behind campus and is home to numerous unique shops and eateries. Uptown is definitely a premier place to spend beautiful, sunny days on campus. Another wonderful place to spend time is the university's on-campus arboretum, right in the middle of most of the classroom buildings. Many native Illinois species of trees are planted in this gorgeous area (named the Quad), with plenty of space to spread out on the grass and spend time with friends. A current trend on the Quad is to set up hammocks between the trees and catch some Z's between classes. Many ISU events occur on the Quad, the most popular event being Festival ISU in the fall. At this event you can get plenty of free stuff and get familiar with the multitude of campus groups and clubs. ISU's campus is a diverse and accepting community where anyone can get along with anyone. Housing is pretty nice with a variety of options, including apartment style living. All of the residence halls have Subway Restaurants as well as computer labs and gyms. If you're looking for a bigger variety of workout machines, the Rec Center is state of the art with any machine you can think of, sports courts, a swimming pool, and lots of lockers. The classes here have always been great for me. The professors encourage questions and are always available for help sessions. If you're having trouble understanding the material, many classes have free tutoring available as well. There are two great dining centers on campus that have accommodations for vegetarians/vegans and students with allergies. Also, there are many restaurants on campus that you can spend your Flex Dollars at (these are included with a meal plan.) Restaurants include two Einstein's Bagels, four Subways, Burger King, Pizza Hut, and a Starbucks. Probably the most important part of college is financial aid and guidance. I would like to say that I will always be grateful for the way that these departments at ISU have treated me. I have the best guidance counselor I could ever ask for. He meets with me outside of school for coffee and to give me advice. I was even able to ask for advice from him while I took a year off of school because of finances. The financial aid office has always been so generous to me, finding me scholarships as well as finding funds for me while I was struggling. The men and women in there will exhaust all of their resources in able to help you graduate school. In my opinion, Illinois State University is an amazing, beautiful, and diverse community of intelligent students and caring faculty. It's a place that feels like home. If these points aren't enough to convince you to visit ISU, then I guess I should also mention that once a month, a bunch of therapy dogs come to the library for you to cuddle. Now you have to go.

Maggie

I am extremely happy with my decision to attend Illinois State University! As a first year nursing student I chose to stay on their dedicated nursing floor on campus. The majority of students on this floor are all nursing majors and we have become great friends. During my first semester I joined a sorority. It was a way to make new friends and participate in charitable activities. I found that the majority of my teachers are passionate with their field of study and willing to provide assistance. Transportation at ISU is close and readily accessible. Busses will take students all around the campus. I have also used the Amtrak train when going home for school breaks. It’s within walking distance to my dorm. It is affordable and convenient! Not many colleges have train service so close but ISU does! Overall opinion of Illinois State University it’s a 10! I love it!

Diana

My first impression of Illinois State University was wonderful, because I could tell that the people showing me around really cared about their school. I have multiple teachers that went there and are willing to sing Illinois State University's praises. It has made me want to go there.

Marlena

I love everything about Illinois State: the academics, accessibility of services, club involvement, and the beautiful campus. No matter what kind of lifestyle you're into, ISU has something that will accomodate you and what you're looking for. The only thing without 5 starts would be dining, and that's because it gets slightly repetitive after a while. However, they have tons of delicious choices, are accomodating of allergies and gluten-free/vegan diets, and the dining hall is open all the time.

kaitlyn

As a young pupil I was kind of skeptical at first of Illinois State University. I did not know what to expect about this Central Illinois university that had pictures of Reggie the Redbird on every corner. Its big brother University of Illinois was only 5 corn fields away and I couldn't help but compare at the time. Classes had begun and I was enjoying the different types of lectures. Illinois State gives you classes in lecture halls, or they could be in smaller classrooms with about 20 students. I liked the diversity. Watterson Towers was my first dorm. It is one of the tallest residential halls in the nation. I loved my view that looked over Uptown. I joined the Illinois State University Marching Band called the Big Red Marching machine! That group allowed me to make a handful of new friends. Those friends I made on day one, are still to this day my best friends. Our football team made the championship game down in Frisco, Texas. The band was taken down there and performed at half-time. It was unforgettable. We lost but I can tell the story for the rest of my life. I got to see the school come together numerous times to chant the fight song and sing our Alma Mater. The sports teams here are incredible and they do so well against Big 10. It keeps you excited for every single game. For the next few years here at Illinois State University, I have grown up into such a thriving young adult. The classes challenged me, the RSO's kept me involved in volunteering and participating in school wide events. The president of our University Larry Dietz cares so much about all of us. The band recently traveled to Ireland this past spring break, and he came along with us. We performed in two different parades, and won best band overall performance for both! Not only do our professors have our best interest in mind, but so does our administration. I love it here at ISU. Illinois State University offers the students so many amazing opportunities to travel, learn and prosper through all the different classes and programs. I would rate this school 4 stars. The academics are competitive and the school offers a variety of different undergraduate and graduate programs for you to choose from. The only critique I have is to update some of the old buildings. The technology is by far very advanced and I have no complaints. But I would love to see more renovations being done on the dorms, and older buildings throughout campus. Our squirrels are a little overweight sometimes, but when you are walking back from Milner Library at midnight, and you pass the Alamo 2. There is nothing better then hearing the Alma Mater play.

Emmanuella

I believe Illinois State University to be the best school for someone like me. It is a school that looks after its students, help them in their education, financial status and with any problem that they have (deans and counselors).This school also makes me feel at home and I believe i can become a great and successful person after learning there.

Paige

I really have enjoyed my time so far on campus at Illinois State. I am an Acting Major and our program is quite the hidden gem. Many of our actors and technicians recently competed at the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival and brought home the majority of awards for Region 3. It brought me immense joy and school spirit to be a part of such an amazing event. I do wish that there was more student attendance at the shows but our last show did sell out almost every night. There are a few areas this school could improve in especially when it comes to Diversity. Conversations are beginning to happen, but there is still a lot of work to be done. The only other downside is the frequent crime in the area, but we have a fantastic police force and for that reason, I feel relatively safe when on campus especially if I am with a group.

Luis

Illinois State University is an overall good school. The campus is small, so it's quick to get around from one side of the quad to the other. Most teachers keep regular office hours, and they have no problems in seeing students that need help outside of class. In the town of Normal, where ISU is located, there is a variety of shops and services. There should be no problem finding something in the town if it's needed and the city of Bloomington is right around the corner. The real pull to Illinois State is the top quality in teacher education. Illinois State is one of the best schools to get an education if planning a career in teacher education. Illinois State University is an excellent school and highly recommended.

Mackenzie

Illinois State University is a great school. It is an amazing size and you really get the college experience. Everyone I meet does really well in their classes but they also know how to have a good time once their priorities are straight. I enjoy walking around campus because it is so beautiful. There are also a lot of job opportunities on campus so working there is nice. I love this school and so do so many other people. I am so glad I chose ISU.

Alissa

I am loving going to college here. Any college will have its downsides, and Illinois State University certainly does, but I couldn't see myself at any other school. Many of the students at ISU are from the Chicago-land area, so if you are not, be prepared.

Cassidy

I really love Illinois State, like any college you have to be willing to put yourself out there to really gain new experiences! The professors are really nice and most are willing to work with you as long as you communicate. There are always events going whether they are on campus or local town events so there is always something to do!

O'nea

Illinois State University is a great school with diversity and many activities available around to get you involved, all the staff find ways to help students make new friends and get involved. They try their best to not make students feel left out and their food places have good quality food. They have many different majors to choose from and each major has an academic advisor available to answer any questions you have about the field.

Kathryn

Incredible institution with tons of fun things to do on and off campus. The faculty and students are very welcoming. The environment is well kempt and beautiful. There are many stores and shops for students and faculty to visit for snacks or just to hang out.

Grace

My overall opinion of Illinois State University is very positive. I am currently a junior and I just transferred this past fall semester. For only being here for one full school year now, this is the best education I have received and I have nothing but positive things to say about the school, the campus, and the town.

I love Illinois State University. There is something for everyone here, whether it be athletics, greek life, honors program, music programs, and much much more. It is a small but powerful university and it has a very homey feel. I love it here and could not image myself somewhere else.

Jenna

I love my college. The campus is so pretty and it is big but not overwhelmingly so. There's always something going on and the teacher education program is amazing. You're right next to uptown Normal so there's fun shops and places to eat, and I love having the train station so close.