Bloomington, IL
Illinois Wesleyan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Illinois Wesleyan University

I have told every high school senior who is looking at schools the same thing: visit the schools on your list. Don't just read about them online or in the pamphlets they send you in the mail. You need to get a feel for what it's like to be on that campus and see if it's somewhere you could see yourself living, working, learning, and thriving for four long years! After all, you spend a majority of your time outside of the classroom. Visiting also gives you a good indication of what the students on that campus are like and if you will be comfortable with them in a classroom and social setting. In my personal experience, visiting Ilinois Wesleyan was the deciding factor in attending. I originally didn't even want to visit or apply there, but my mom forced me to stop by on our way to visit Bradley, and by the time we were driving away, I knew that my college plans had changed and that Illinois Wesleyan was the best place for me.

I think I knew what I was getting into for the most part. It might have been nice to have a little more information on specific courses rather than just focusing on majors because a lot of my classes have not been what I expected them to be.

Illinois Wesleyan is the kind of school for someone who is very focused on their education and a mature young adult. If you want more out of your college experience than just a diploma, this is the best school for you. It's a great school for students interested in study abroad and campus involvement.

Quite a few try and get by without a lot of work and tend to complain about the workload, but there are a great number of students who are still academically and intellectually motivated by the professors and the material.

Very friendly and helpful students, small classes, and hard, engaging professors. The Science department is probably the school's strongest, but the arts programs are still very competitive with other small liberal arts schools. Many of the professors also recieve reserach grants fairly often.

Many students tend to worry about the right school to choose for undergraduate studies; the reality of the situation is, however, that no matter where you end up going (barring a terrible roommate or homesickeness), college will be fun! Living on your own, being independent, oppening yourself up to new cultural and social experiences are situations you will find yourself in at nearly any school you choose to attend. The most important choice comes down to where you will be most comfortable making those new decisions, finding those new friends, and finding out who you are as a person living on your own. Someone once told me, "you'll just know it when you step on that campus, that you could spend the rest of your life there." Now, I don't know about the rest of my life, but when I stepped on the campus that I ended up attending, those words rang true, and I felt very comfortable there with the people and the prevalent attitude on campus. The best advice I could give is to make the visits, get a feel for the school, and don't worry about having fun, because it will still happen!

Heather

Make sure not to force a student to pick a school based on either a parent's preferences or what they want to do now as it might change in a few years anyway.

Someone looking for a big school environment.

Alexandra

My school is most well known for its academic strength. The small campus atmosphere offers students the opportunity for a one on one relationship with the professors. The academic difficulty will test your knowledge greatly! The campus is gorgeous!

Look around at several options before making a decision. Parents, allow for your student to choose for themselves with some advice from you. Find out what college will work with your income and financial situation. Students look for what you'll love, not just what you'll like, because it will be your home for atleast 4 years. Find a place that you are most comfortable and will get you money's worth. Never be afraid to ask questions, actually, ask a lot of questions. Enjoy the search because it only happens once in your life. It's a fun, bonding experience!

A student with a strong will to learn and inhance their knowledge. A student with a strong academic background and willing to work really hard to succeed and become a leader. A student willing to put partying aside to focus primarily on academics. A student who uis comfortable with working with the professors one on one. A student who is not afraid of a challenge.

Caroline

My classmates are hard working, but they also know how to have fun.

My classmates are hard working, but they also know how to have fun.

It is a small school that places the emphasis on the students.

Start your search on the internet to find a school that meets your interests, both academically and socially (and even athletically if you are looking to be a student-athlete). Once you have a list of potential schools, VISIT THEM. The campus visit is perhaps the most important of the search process; a school may look good on paper, but you need to actually set foot on the campus to make sure that it is the right fit for you. But most importantly, don't make the decision based on one factor alone. For example, I originally ruled out a particular school because it was in my hometown and I did not want to be one of "those people" that never left their hometown. However, it had all of the components I was looking for in a school and I liked it better than any of the other schools I visited. Despite the geography, I chose to attend the school in my hometown, and if I had to make the decision again, I definitely wouldn't change it. I know I picked the right school for me.

Joshua

Illinois Wesleyan is an intimate place -- your teachers become your friends, your friends become your social mind, your mind becomes healthy and aware amidst all of the positive energy you share with every person, place, and thing on campus.

Don't take it for granted. Enjoy it, because it's over sooner than you could ever want it to be.

The meal service is the worst thing -- simply because it is inflexible and far too expensive for what it delivers. I saved a huge amount of money going off the plan and eating Jimmy Johns every day.

Kathryn

When choosing a school be very aware of your own personality and how well you make friends and how you meet people. It's easy to lose yourself at a big school and likewise easy to not find your place at a small school just the same. Also make time for fun and socializing, without it school work will make you crazy.

Professors are too smart to teach or not capable of communicating/ teaching undergrads.

Mike

To parents: regardless of what you thing, or where you went to college, or what you want for your children, college is for them. The worst thing a parent can do is say "when I was at school I studied this, and you should too". Giving advice in this way isn't seen by your children as you giving them advice. It's actually interpreted as our parents telling us what to do, and where to go, and we resent it. Encourage your students to choose based on what they are interested in. The final choice in school and program of study has to be your child's decision for them to make the most out of the college experience. To Students: make the most out of every opportunity. Even if you feel like going Greek might not be right for you, give it a shot and chances are you'll meet a lot of people--in Greek Life--that felt the same way. Don't ever stop giving the most you can give and remember college isn't about getting all a's. It's about finding and sharing life-long experiences with life-long friends.

A person with an open mind and a willingness to learn. However this school is academically challenging, and a little on the pricey side. If you consider Illinois Wesleyan, you'll want to also consider Greek Life, as it plays a leading role in on campus social life. This school is very serious about academics, but are openminded to what that word means. Some of the best artists I know attend Illinois Wesleyan, and we have an amazing fine arts program, so if you are creative don't be afraid.

That Illinois Wesleyan is considered part of the Midwestern Ivy League--even though there really is no such thing, we all joke that if Wesleyan was on the east coast it'd be just as well known as Brown and Harvard.

Allyson

A mix of learning, arts and companionship on a pretty mid-Illinois campus.

A mix of learning, arts and companionship on a pretty mid-Illinois campus.

My advice is to go with your gut. I picked Wesleyan because it just felt right to me. I knew I would regret it if I didn't come. I'm glad I did because I love my school and couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

Wesleyan has a small, friendly environment. Anywhere you go you'll see friends and aquaintences. Overall, the atmosphere is on of respect and friendship that is lacking at a bigger, state school.

Illinois Wesleyan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.