Illinois Wesleyan University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Illinois Wesleyan University

Jack

Illinois Wesleyan University is a hidden gem in the town of Bloomington-Normal. We have a beautiful campus, that isn't took big to get across when you are in a hurry. The people and community is very friendly and supportive of one another, and I know I have made some life long friends and memories here. The campus food isn't too bad, but it does get a little dull after awhile. One thing I wish was different was the specific hours that certain buildings are open until, as well as the meal hours. But overall I am glad to call Illinois Wesleyan my Alma Mater.

Crystal

Overall, I do not regret going to Wesleyan. I'm so grateful to have been able too partake in some incredible opportunities here that I would not have gotten at bigger institutions. We are a small university that provides opportunities for research, internships, extra curricular activities, programs, volunteering, hands on experience (typically in the science/nursing department), jobs, and leadership roles. It's also really typical that you get to know your professor personally! The only thing that certainly needs some improvement is the recruitment of domestic minority students. The campus is beautiful and the facilities provide everything you need!

Noah

Illinois Wesleyan is a great college. The faculty is very knowledgeable and close with students. Students are kept in the loop about all extracurricular events, from concerts to sports performances. The president of the university is in constant contact with students, sending emails and even eating lunch with random groups of students. The student body is quite diverse, coming from many different backgrounds. The largest group of the student body are middle class white people from the suburbs of Chicago, but many other financial and geographical backgrounds are to be found.

Gillian

Illinois Wesleyan University, IWU, is a school where everybody is a somebody. They deeply care about the students and their wellbeing as well as making sure that all classes challenge and inspire students. Campus is beautiful and peaceful where people would be glad to have you join in on any activity, whether it be frisbee or a discussion.

John

Academics are good depending on your major, but if you want a social life, do NOT come here. I would describe myself as having been a fairly average college student. I cared about academics, but sometimes I just wanted to goddamn party. But, let me tell you, if you're not in Greek life, you're not going to find a party at IWU. People are weirdly up-tight, and the few that aren't insufferable stretch themselves thin and are usually always busy. I attribute this to the background of most IWU students--We're mostly white and from the suburbs. The school has made limited strides in promoting diversity, but the average student at IWU is there on mommy and daddy's trust fund money (and maybe a sports or academic scholarship). Maybe this was just my experience, but people didn't even want to study in groups when I asked them. I'm not quite sure what causes this sort of asocial behavior in the student population, but my acquaintances would constantly flake or be non-committal towards making plans involving recreation. It gets a bit better when you're in Greek life, because you essentially are paying for a group of brothers or sisters to hang out with, but parties are small because of the school's small population. And don't trick yourself into thinking that you're just going to find a bigger, better party at ISU either--IWU is a complete bubble, and in my experience, people didn't leave it all that often. There are a few plus sides to this university, however. Academics are pretty top-notch, class sizes are small, and you get a lot of individual attention. A bachelor's degree is good enough to get you pretty much any entry-level job in the state, and the study abroad program is stellar (my semester in Argentina was an unforgettable one). And, if you're in a downward existential depression spiral and you have too much homework to do, you can always calm your mind with Fusion Brew and Flingers. Ah Flingers--The shining gem buried in the shitty corn fields of central Illinois. Pepperoni Flinger Rolls with spicy ranch makes for an excellent hangover meal.

Devine

It's a great school, but some of the teachers are annoying. Some people might think this is a boring campus, but we have a lot of events. Be sure to choose ur classes wisely. Not all the classes that sound interesting will be good for your health.

Kieran

I believe Illinois Wesleyan has one of the better alumni networks in the United States, is one of the best academically-driven universities, and most departments actively try to revitalize their academic and intuitive foundation so that their facilities, resources, and faculty qualifications and effectiveness are benefiting their students. The school does try to be more aware of current political, social, and economic topics in order to best shape school events and in order to facilitate thoughtful, educated conversations that allow a variety of people's points-of-view to be heard and drawn out. To merely acknowledge current issues (socially and politically) is one thing but to be able to establish an environment where people have the chance to express how they feel and be HEARD is drastically different. I believe Illinois Wesleyan is not impeccable when it comes to this but it does do a good job at experimenting with ways in how to execute said conversations. Yes, there is work yet to be done here at Illinois Wesleyan because no institution is perfect. That being said, some of such work includes quality of certain professors (waiting on giving tenure to ensure a professor is consistently beneficial to their students), the quality of food on campus, diversity and inclusion (both in student populous and in the training of its faculty, staff, and students so that they are more respectful and understanding), and the leeway the financial aid office may have when formulating financial aid packages for its students. Overall I feel as if I attend one of the more prestigious universities in the United States however, I would like to see the entire institution as well as my specific department (The School of Theatre Arts) grow rampantly towards a brighter future. In conclusion I would give it a 4/5 star rating (although it averages out to about a 3.88/5).

Madeline

This school is a great place to learn through hands-on experiences and to really get involved in the community. For first year students, there are groups available that help get us familiar with the students, faculty, campus and the surrounding area. These groups are also great because they introduce us to people at Wesleyan who we might not have gotten to know as well without First Year Experiences!

Kaylah

I fell in love the moment I stepped on campus. Everyone you see is smiling or laughing and every single staff member I've ever talked with cared about me. The amount of times I felt cared for and appreciated just to merely be on campus is uncountable. A campus tour I went on before I made my final decision really showcased the people who attend IWU. My tour guide was a junior at the time who was a nursing student. I mentioned to her that I had gotten into the school of nursing and I was 99% sure I was going to attend IWU. Her face lit up in that millisecond and started offering me her email and phone number so if I needed help on campus the following year she would be there for me. That's what did it for me. It's not just the staff who are genuine people who care about the school, its the students who attend IWU also. It's the type of school that you think feels more like home than your actual home. I don't think I would get through my four years if I chose a different school other than Illinois Wesleyan. I would recommend it to anyone and I'd scream it from the rooftops. This is the school to be at.

Nancy

Illinois Wesleyan is a small school compared to others, but one of the best. The professors really want us to succeed in and out the classroom. And there is always something to do around campus. Yes things might look a little boring but you simply need to find something you are passionate for.

sarah

I absolutely LOVE IWU! It was the best four years of my life. I met lifelong friends, while receiving an amazing college education. The campus is beautiful and does’t feel like a small school at all. There are so many clubs and groups to join to find your people. I highly reccomend checking it out for college.

Bryant

Speaking as a student of the Music Theatre program, I love this university. The professors are accessible and genuinely invested in the students progress, but they are open about still learning new things every single day just like we are. It is an amazing program and you could not go wrong.