Indiana University-Bloomington Top Questions

Maggie

The most frustrating thing about IU Bloomington is how different resources are housed in different offices around campus. Because IU is so large, many of its student resources are siloed by their function, meaning that career advising and academic advising are housed in different offices with different advisors. It makes it more difficult for students to seek out the correct resources or professionals.

Eryn

It is no secret that Indiana University is one of the biggest “party schools” around. As a Biochemistry major, the lack of study time has become increasingly frustrating. Living in a dorm, I have a limited about of quiet time because there are so many people on different schedules than my own. Granted, there is a library within a fifteen minute walk, but I have learned from personal experience that it is not a good idea to walk alone at night. There are not many things I dislike about Indiana University, but this would definitely be my number one complaint.

The most frustrating thing I have experienced is how hard it is to read the bus schedule. I am sure it is easier than what I am making it, but I can't figure it out and how to get on the bus to get off campus to go to the store.

Tasha

The fact that some of the older professors are stuck in their old style of teaching.

So much focus on alcohol within the student group

One of the most frustrating things about IU is the size. It's one of the biggest schools there is. As a result, you really need to come out of your shell to get noticed by your instructors and professors. But once you do realize what it takes, you have a new skill and new strengths that not all of your peers might have.

I belive the most frustrating thing about my school was the fact that our advisors were not helpful. I'm not sure if it was simply a personal experience, but I interacted with at least 3 advisors who could not really point me in the right direction after graduation. They were helpful in which classes to take, although I could figure that out on my own, but they could not give me solid advice about a future career.

The weather this year has been brutal. The sidewalks are not always free of ice and snow.

Anastasia

A lot of social opportunities are party/alcohol focused, which can be difficult for people who don't like that. There are other social options, but they can be harder to find initially.

Abbey

Indiana University is too often stereotyped with the reputation of being a party school; however, it is an amazing institution that is obviously a fun place for students to live, but that stereotype does not at all define the school.

Roxana

After 1989 and the end of the Cold War, there has been a decrease in the number of those interested to study, learn about, or sponsor research in Eastern European Studies area studies. Although we have an institute for Russian and East European Studies at my university, my work in the English Department on the Romanian-American diaspora is completely sidelined by the university's corporate interest in South-East Asia. What needs to be known is that Eastern Europe is a site that provides much of the global workforce through its immigrants. More attention should be paid to them.

It is hard to get problems accomplished. It takes awhile to get anything done with staff.

The most frustrating thing about Indiana University is the weather at times. It rains here a lot, and then it gets cold and freezes over and becomes ice. It can be frustrating going to and from class in very unpredictable weather. This is mainly because Indiana University is a very large campus and to get from certain dorms or buildings to some of your classes can be a 15 minute walk, and it is a pain when the weather is bad, which this year has been pretty often.

One frustrating thing about IU is there are many different avenues to go down both academically and socially in extra-curriculars. It's often difficult to choose, or to make multiple organizations fit into a schedule. The biggest challenge fitting academics, social life, and extra curriculars into my schedule. It's possible, but it can often be stressful.

I would say the most frusturating thing about Indiana University-Bloomington is how many students there are. Sometimes I feel like I don't know anyone at all because there's just so many faces and bodies walking around campus.

Hillary

The most frustrating thing about IU is that a lot of useful information regarding classes, bus schedules, happening on campus, etc aren't well displayed or discussed. The only way a person can find out is if they happen to accidentally stumble upon it or hear it from someone else and by that time it's sometimes too late to even be effective for you.

Jeffery

The main frustration that comes to mind when I think of Indiana University would have to be the number of students that attend. The campus is very large an accomodating for the number of students, but once inside buildings it can become quite cramped at times.

The most frusterating part about attending Indiana University was the amount of professors that were not familiar with fluent english. As a student, it was sometimes very difficult to learn and engage actively in class because we were not able to understand a lot of the professors and/or teacher's aids.

sahijpreet

The most frustrating thing about my school is the availability of classes. During registration time the biggest worry I face is getting into all the classes that I need. The number of students at IU is tremendous so it is impossible for all the students to get into all the classes that they desire. But the frustration comes into play when there is a class of thirty students and the waiting list is almost as high. If there is a waiting list almost equal to the size of the class, new classes should be made.

Cristina

The most frustrating thing is trying to find something in the school website. The website is extremely confusing and i have to call an office to help navigate through it.

charlene

The only thing i can think of is that the town is very small and there is not a huge variety of stores.

Valerie

With 30,000 students, it was easy to get lost, difficult to connect with advisors, and hard to find support when I hit rough spots.

It takes a while to walk anywhere because it is such a large campus.

I think, due to its size perhaps, that IU can get lost in its own bureacracy. I also felt surrounded by people with more money than myself, and at time, surrounded by members of Greek associations with whom I could not relate.

Jon

There really isn't anything that frustrates me about the school. Maybe the people in the dorms that aren't very neat.

My peers. Alcohol is the focus of this campus. Sunday is the only relatively "dry" day. It's not unusual for people to go out drinking Monday night. The students are not focused on academics and become annoyed with any pressure from professors to actually apply themselves. As a rather studious individual, this makes it hard for me to find people to socialize with. Even living on an honors floor, the average IQ is lower than what I expected as an incoming freshman, and the focus is still largely party-based.

Eden

The most frustrating thing about my school is despite the large amount of money we pay to go here, there are still classrooms that are not technologically or physically up-to-date and the sidewalks are falling apart.

Jamon

I think the most frustrating thing about my school the fact that some many people. On a day to day basis I it really doesn't bother me, but when it is time to travel or go somewhere popular there will always be some sort of line. I guess I just have to get adjusted to that sort of thing.

The worst thing about Indiana University is the lack in university-sponsored events. The only social events in college is partying with alcoholic beverages, which is an immature, unnecessary phase in life. I can feel quite alone at times without like-minded people to spend time with.

The most frustrating thing about this school (for me) is the professors that do not speak the english language very well. It is sometimes extremely hard to understand what they are saying, and has made it a little tricky to learn. However, I have adapted and learned how to survive without knowing exactly everything they say.

I enjoy the fact that Indiana University is a large school. However, I like to be involved in the organization of events on campus and it has been frustrating to join an activities group that is so large you really don't get the opportunity to actively participate. I've found that joining multiple groups has helped this situation by providing more options for getting involved.

The potential that could be achieved with the talent and ideas here is not tapped into because social acceptance seems to be more important than personal development.

Cory

Indiana is known for its long, harsh Midwest winters. The most infuriating thing about the school is walking to class early in the morning in the bitter cold and snow. Second, the advisors are more or less worthless and each one will give a different answer to the same question. I was better figuring out my progress and needs on my own. Besides that I loved my experience at IU. The last thing I can think of is that certain introductory courses at IU that are required are severely overcrowded. I had classes with over 400 students.

The most frustrating thing about Indiana University is that it is hard to find scholarships that will help when paying off semester dues. I am a member of a sorority and also am a full time student. I have tried to contact my advisor and other admission staff about scholarships, but I can't seem to get any reliable information that will help me. The economy has obviously been down, and I feel as if my acacdemic could be awarded by a scholarship. I would love to help my parents out in this hard time.

Gregory

the cost for out of state students.

Derrick

Realizing that after these four years are up, you will be working and in the real world. It is frustrating to balance your social life and your academics. You need to focus on your grades but let loose every once in a while or you will regret it later.

Homework

The most frustrating thing is that it's out of state for me to go there and difficult to afford. Although I do receive financial aid, it isn't enough. Other than that, I think the luck-of-the-draw of the professors is frustrating. Some of them are great and intelligent and inspiring, and others are dull and really have no business teaching a college level class. I wish all of the classes were intriguing and challenging, not just half of them.

Breanna

The nursing school is horrible, and they try to trick you by telling you to take the hardest classes possible as a weed out system. Very unfair to new students.

The finals schedule can sometimes be conflitcting.

It is frustrating trying to balance out working, socializing, and doing school work, there is always so much to do and its hard to prioritize.

The school places too much emphasis on sports by pouring money into renovating the football stadium and spending a lot in the athletic programs while they continue to raise tuition and freeze salaries of individuals who really do deserve a raise, not to mention having families to support. With the economy where it is, it would be wise to spend less on sports, raise tuition less, and avoid having to dive into donor funds to compensate for the money they have (in my opinion) frivolously spent.

Most frustrating thing would have to be the availabilities of the buses. My freshmen year it was relly nice becuse you did not have to wait long for a bus, but then they had to cut back. Now you can wait wuite awhile to get home.

The workload can get pretty intense, but that's true of anywhere.

The most frustrating thing about Indiana is a common issue at most large unversities. It is often times difficult to get administrative things done within the unversity.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the class size. There are majors that require classes where the average class size is 250 students. In that type of environment, any sort of shyness can and will hold someone back from speaking out in class and asking questions. I had classes of, at most, 30 students in high school, and going from that to classes ten times the size, it was shocking and frustrating. As much as it is frustrating to me, I also must say it has caused me to change and grow into the adult I am now.

Realizing your just a fish in a pond. It dosen't matter if you're a big or a small fish, either way, the pond is huge. You can't make generalizations about the school, or you will be missing out on the diversity by having pre-associated judgements. There are people here from all blocks of life from all histories and experiences that are into all kinds of things. Some poeple pass through the college without ever realizing and taking advantage of this.

Josselyn

Popularity of Greek life.

the liberal environment and the way students loose themselves in the school, professors have a lot of influence and students aren't very confident in themselves, use alcohol a lot as a release from the hard work

I wish there was more diversity on campus because I come from a place that is much more diverse ethnically and I miss it.