Indiana University-Bloomington Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Indiana University-Bloomington

Indiana is a really big school and there's so much to do here. Even if you're not a partier there's plenty of other activities to do and you don't feel left out. It's kind of daunting honestly and you need to do some research and find the clubs or groups that you belong in but then hopefully you should be good.

Tracie

IU is most definitely a party school that’s focused on having fun and going to games. However, if you don’t want to party and aren’t into sports there are plenty of other things to do on campus or within Bloomington. Safety is a little bit of a concern but as long as you’re vigilant and take precautions you should be okay. Greek life is huge here but again it’s such a big school there’s plenty to do outside of Greek life (just don’t expect to get invited to the parties or events if you aren’t). Overall, I do really love my school and I very highly value my education that I am receiving.

Natalia

It is such a big university that there is something for everyone. As someone working towards a career in the arts, I can say that my area of study is unique and not offered by other universities. The Jacobs School of Music and the Kelly Business School are part of the top 10 in their respective categories, so the academics are stellar and the teachers are always willing to help. It is an atmosphere surrounded by people who want to succeed and see others succeed as well. Bloomington especially is an area filled with kind and spirited people. I very much recommend future college students to consider this university for their studies.

abigail

Love it, best campus best community. It’s a well lit campus that I always feel safe on. The classes are a challenge but the professors are there to help you grow and learn rising up to a challenge. Now with the new competitive sports culture I’d say we have it all!!

Rahul

IU Bloomington is a fantastic Midwest school that attracts plenty of international students and students from all over the country. Though it is a majority white school, there is plenty of diversity and there is always a club or organization available to make you feel connected. The schools at IU are highly ranked and the school itself maintains a high pedigree. The culture around IU is one that facilitates purpose and success and is a place where many individuals can thrive.

Nina

Indiana University Bloomington can be overwhelming for incoming freshmen especially if they are coming from small towns or small high schools, I usually suggest going to a small college for pre requisites and then coming to IUB once you start your classes

It is an incredibly diverse and is a very collaborative artistic environment. The facilities are very nice and everyone is friendly. There are hundreds of opportunities for all students and the faculty is very helpful. This is a University for anyone that wants an amazing education along with new life experiences.

Leah

Indiana University was the centre of the movie "Breaking Away" - and it lives up to its movie status: the picture of the cliche American University. Sports matter more than academics, drinking matters more than community involvement, Greek life is a sprawling predator that consumes everything in its path. Walking on campus, every face looks the same, fitting in one of three categories: the Greeks, the international students, and the leftovers. They sit like oil atop water atop corn syrup- they do not mix. On-campus living is divided similarly: the athletes get the best, the poor people get the worst, and everyone in the middle dishes out thousands of dollars to live in 88 square feet. Stepping off campus into Bloomington is just like stepping into any other town in Indiana, you could walk for miles without finding anything to do but you can't go two feet without getting a faceful of corn. There is a handful of actual academics on campus, but they've tucked away in corners and shoved under the rug. Good teachers are even rarer - you will probably find a legendary Pokemon on Pokemon Go on campus before you find a quality teacher on campus. IU is a sea: you often feel lost, staring out at the same, boring scene every day, navigating waters untamed and aimless, and, most of all, you're alone in that sea, one of the thousands, lost, and left to find your own way.

I love it here in BTown! There is a ton of variety & diversity here at IU, in everything from majors and classes to people and extracurricular activities, there's something for everyone as long as you're willing to look for it.

IU is a great campus with a lot of opportunities to meet new people, try new things, and embrace diversity.

Alekhya

It is a good academic school overall but it does have a large size and a big party environment generally. IU gives a lot of importance to sports, Kelley School Business, and Jacobs School of Music. IU is also well known for those reasons. IU has many sororities and fraternities both academic and social​. IU has a very diverse campus due to the high amount of international students in the School of Business. IU also has a beautiful campus compared to many universities.

Alexis

Indiana University is a wonderful school to attend. The people here are lovely. The campus, especially in the fall, is gorgeous. There's always something going on and new people to meet. One of my personal favorite parts is how there isn't a true end or beginning to the campus; Bloomington and Indiana University just flow into each other.

Indiana University is my home away from home. They do everything in their power to make sure their students are the best they can be for the "real world". IU students are known for being some of the best students in their respective fields and that is why IU makes sure that their students are having a good time on campus and that they are ready for their professional life.

Steven

It is a great university with a fantastic reputation. There's always room for improvement, but be prepared to be impressed. What you will notice is an intense focus on academics. Be prepared to work your tail off and earn good grades - but don't be worried, because you've got this!

Mitch

IU is a beautiful campus with plenty of great organizations to keep yourself busy. The classes are the perfect size, and are taught by professors that are there for more than just a paycheck. They truly care about their students and want to see them succeed. IU has plenty of resources to prepare yourself for the future, and you can still enjoy yourself with all the activities available while you do it.

Bre

Simply the best!

Carissa

Indiana University-Bloomington is probably one of the most accepting colleges in the state. There is a group and a place for everyone and it is so easy to make friends on and off campus. There is so much to do on and off campus that if you wanted you could find something to do every night or meet up for a few friends on the weekend for some free bowling at the IMU on Friday nights.

I studied at IUB for a year, unfortunately left due to the loss of my mother, and I wish I had stayed more. It is a gorgeous campus. Unfortunately, there is a lot of partying. However, the academics are still amazing, and I think it is a great school.

Janay

I love it with all my heart. I've known I was gonna be a Hoosier since elementary school and none of my life experiences will compare to what I'm about to indulge in college! I've spent 6 weeks at the university doing a summer program and I've never felt more awake.

Amber

Overall, this is a very nice school. The number of people on campus can make it difficult to find the group of people you want to associate with, but once you do make friends it gets to be more fun. Sports are big, but if you don't follow them it is not that big of a deal. The campus is fairly well lit up at night but it is still safer to travel in groups. The clubs on campus are awesome and there are a wide variety to choose from. Most of the dorms are pretty nice, but the older building can be a little rough to live in. The fire alarm at Wright can barely be heard from inside closed doors and the rooms look a little dingy, but you can pay the same amount for a single there that you would pay for a double at Forest. There are many on campus work opportunities to take advantage of that pay well. Professors seem to care but big classes make it hard to reach them inside the classroom. There is a lot of weed on and off campus, harder drugs can be found too but are less accessible. Dating is very difficult to find, most are focused on casual relations only.

I think the school and community are great. My only concern is the school's attitude and actions towards student issues, for example, the mold in the dorms that many of the students have to deal with themselves even though it is the school's responsibility to make sure the dorms are up to health codes.

I could not be happier with my choice of going to Indiana. I am an out of state student and was unsure about attending but now as I am going into my second year I could not be more sure that Indiana was the school for me. Everyone has so much school spirit and share their love for the school. The professors are great and go great lengths to make sure their students are doing well in their classes.

niki

Indiana University is a large campus that provides many great opportunities for all students. Academically, Indiana University is ranked in the top 100 nationally for the programs they offer: IU Kelley school of business, college of arts and sciences, school of informatics, Jacob's school of music, and more. Not only does Indiana University provides the greatest academic opportunities, but they also offer great social opportunities for their students. From school events to greek life, students at this campus will find many things within their interest. Indiana University has also fantastic faculty members that are available to students all the time. Faculty provides office hours and are available to make appointments to meet individually with students. Because of what they offer, students have the opportunity to have one-on-one conversations with their professors at this large university. Indiana University also provides a very diverse community that allows each student to find many things of their interest on campus. There are many groups of people that allows each student to be a part of at least one of these groups. These diverse groups allows students to find their family at this large campus. Because of the wonderful things that come with this school, I believe that Indiana University is one of the greatest schools for students. It brings a lot of opportunity for students that helps them grow as students. It also has a lot of great academic opportunities that allows students excel. Many students who graduate from Indiana university get into some of the best graduate programs. Indiana University helps prepare their students to become the best versions of themselves and helps them be fully prepared when they enter the real world. Not only that, but many people who graduate from Indiana University find some of the greatest jobs that has lead them to a successful life. Not only that, but Indiana University has allowed students to find some of the best relationships. For myself, I know I've found some of my best friends at this campus and it has helped me find a true passion of what I want to pursue in when I'm older. I am thankful to have the opportunity to go to one of the greatest schools in the nation and I'm forever grateful to be a Hoosier.

Jonathon

I have come to respect the erudite environment, academic competition, and access to resources that allows students to expand their knowledge. Indiana University offers over eighty languages, the only Turkish Flagship in the United States, and a plethora of languages labs that give students practical experience.

M

This is Indiana, one of the best Big 10 schools full of life everywhere on campus. It's big on athletics and excelling academically, with several highly ranked schools. It's a diverse campus with a big Greek presence and if that's not for you not to worry. There are also hundreds of other clubs and fun organizations to join from break-dance to Harry Potter. The big beautiful campus of Bloomington offers a variety of cultural diversity and nature life that is simply breathtaking and worth the college visit. You'll feel the friendly presence of students, professors, and even the squirrels as soon as you arrive! Oh did I forgot to mention we know how to tailgate and party especially during Little 500, where the party never ends and the campus never sleeps!

Jake

This is a great school! If you are thinking about going here, I would highly recommend it.

Zachary

Indiana University Bloomington is a campus that is full of life, adventure, activities, and academics. The campus of about 40,000 students is always bustling and is never dead. The large, nature filled campus gives plenty of opportunities for adventures, walks, and jogs and fails to excite, even after being here for 3 years.

Leigha

Indiana university Bloomington is a wonderful place to start your adult endeavors. The campus is beautiful, and there is the right mix of social and academic. /there are so many clubs and activities on campus that it is very easy to find your place and make friends. It is easy to find home as a Hoosier!

If I could go back in time and give the senior high school version of myself a pep talk, I would tell her to stop underestimating herself! In high school I wasn't involved in any academic clubs. Truth be told, I thought academic clubs were for the geeks and einsteins. But at IU, there is really something for everyone to excel in. My junior year, I mustered up the courage to put myself out there academically. I tried out for IU's National Student Advertising Team and was allowed to compete in the year long competition (while earning class credit) with twenty other talented students. Our team did not win, but we were able to put together a portfolio for JCPenney, which recently helped me get accepted into the Creative Circus (a major portfolio school in Atlanta). Some of the better super bowl commercials in recent years (i.e. "First Draft Ever Commercial, " "Budweiser 'Lost Dog,'"etc.) came from former Circus students. So my message to senior high school students today is forget about the limits that were placed on you in high school, whether they were self-imposed or not. (I was the high school student that wasn't just bullied by my peers, but in some cases even teachers). You can start college with a fresh attitude that's willing to try. Go to the club fairs and discover that we're all a geek or an einstein in some particular subject. Good luck in school! Sarah

Mike

Indiana Bloomington is an amazing environment for students who are serious about their education and want to advance their understanding through genuine inquiry. With a wide variety of majors, any potential student can find their academic niche and excel by taking advantage of numerous resources offered to students with the goal of helping each student succeed in their own way.

Jacquelyn

This school has my whole heart. I could not have asked for a better 4 years in Bloomington. I have grown in more ways than I can imagine: mentally, emotionally, socially. Before going to IU, I wasn't really involved in the world or my community. Thanks to IU, I have learned how to be a better contributor not only to my community but also to society. Indiana University challenged me every single day and moulded me into the woman I am today.

Pranita

Indiana University is the best of both worlds. I am getting a top 10 education at the Kelley School of Business as well as getting the experience of attending a D1 school. Everyone works really hard all week and has a great time of the weekends. There are plenty of resources to academically, socially, and mentally support students. There are specific dining halls that have excellent food choices, and the others are not bad. The classes are challenging, but the professors emphasis availability to support the students. I am loving my experience here!

Brooke

Overall, I believe that Indiana University in Bloomington is a great school. All of the staff are very knowledgeable and, in my experience, extremely willing to help students understand the coursework. Also, because of the almost overwhelming number of clubs and activities, it is very easy to find things to do and people who share your views and interests. The overall welcoming atmosphere and crazy amount of Hoosier spirit are just a few of the reasons that I love being here and couldn't be more excited to spend the next 3 years here. Go Hoosiers!

Lindsay

Bloomington is a perfect college town! IU is well know for its academics, arts, music and sports and does all well. It's a great place to discover your own niche and open your eyes to new experiences and hobbies. The campus is beautiful with the cohesion of the limestone buildings.

Nicollette

The university is very big so if you like taking public transportation to classes or walking a lot this would be a good fit. The social scene is great and there are always opportunities to make new friends and get to know professors. The libraries are very helpful, however there have been multiple issues regarding crimes so stay safe and let people know where you are going and when.

Haley

I love going to school here. The campus is huge which isn't for everyone but there are multitudes of ways to get involved. There are opportunities for everyone. My experience with professors has been much better than expected. The atmosphere of a room full of IU students whether it's at a basketball game or during the dance marathon fundraiser is unlike anything I've ever been apart of.

Alexus

Indiana University is a great school! There is always something going on, or do all the time for every person and interest. Our school is not only very big into sports (you may know of our basketball time), but academics as well. Not only are we known for a new and improved Media School and Maurer School of Law, but people from all over the world come in hopes of studying at our renowned Kelley School of Business. The students here are always polite and teachers not only teach us intended subjects, but also how to be open-minded, confident, and how to prepare for the real world. There are wonderful study abroad opportunities for everyone that coincide with majors, interests, or languages. By the end of your time here at IU, each gradate is able to walk across the stage knowing that they are leaving as well-rounded, confident people, ready to tackle the real world.

Chloe

It definitely depends on the student as to whether they will like it or not. It's a huge school so it tends to not be personal and hard to receive opportunities. However, if you put yourself out there and become involved in the right groups, you can find happiness. Greek life is harder to become involved in as well due to the competition and size.

Sydney

I love Indiana University. Everyone is able to form a family at school and have a home away from home. It's a beautiful campus with something always going on. There are plenty of extracurricular activites to join. Classes are easy to find and professors do there best to always be available for help.

Molly

Ask anyone on campus, it is incredibly easy to make this big school feel small. Indiana University has every opportunity under the sun to further education or global awareness, play sports both varsity or intramural, network with distinguished professors and alumni, and meet just about every type of person there is. This is one of the greatest advantages of Indiana University; it's extremely diverse inside and out of the classroom. There are so many options academically with over 550 programs to choose from, but also environmentally. There are housing options to fit every personality type and not overbearing Greek life that is available to those interested. All in all, I could not be happier with my decision to choose this wonderfully, hard-to-box-in university. Go Hoosiers!

James

It is a great university for a wide variety of majors. IU is a great place to begin an undergraduate career, and you can even create your own major! IU is the place to be for all sorts of activities and a quality school for academics. I decided to attend IU and have not looked back since then.

Anna

This place I call home, is a distinguished catalyst for learning, with a vast array of opportunities, and most importantly a community that values diversity and strives for activism and freedom of expression. Moreover, this university offers spaces and activities in which different groups can engage in anothers experience, culture, and life. It is a beautiful environment the Indiana University offers, because without it this world would be stagnant, without critical minds, and lack the love that we all need to persevere.

Alexandra

Indiana University-Bloomington was the perfect college for me. Not only are there endless academic opportunities, but there is an extracurricular activity for EVERYONE. I was able to pursue all of the courses of study I wanted to, while still having time to have an amazing experience outside the classroom and meeting new friends. There were wonderful science opportunities, and the French language department was phenomenal. The study abroad options were robust, and the folks in the Office of Overseas studies did a great job of helping me find the perfect program. At IU, there is never a dull moment, and every day I met a new amazing person. I would never want to have attended any other college, and I loved my time at IU. Not to mention - the campus is beautiful!

Claire

Indiana University-Bloomington has been a tradition in my family as both my mother and older brother have attended. The campus is one of the most beautiful in the country and the people are amazing. IU has outstanding school spirit through its football and basketball teams!

Nathan

Indiana University provides a very proud and accomplished identity to future or current students. The very large campus gives student plenty of space without having them feel lost. The campus facilities are the best and are either new and modern or old and beautiful. The enormous number of students and student organizations give any newcomer many opportunities to meet new people. Any freshman to seniors will say that IU is their home and it is the best.

Adrianna

Indiana University is an outstanding institution that creates an incredible atmosphere both in and out of the classroom. It has become a safe and caring home for me and my peers. Indiana University has has a huge, positive impact on my life and I cannot wait to see what my future holds in Bloomington.

Alex

I grew up on this campus and there is no place that I would rather be. The environment at IU is so specific, you can't get it anywhere else. With it's beautiful wooded campus, lots of great people to talk to and learn about, people from around the world; IU is the place to learn about yourself and others!

Matthew

Indiana University Bloomington is a great university to go to. The student life is amazing. The food is delicious. The atmosphere is emersive. This university also has a plethora of extracurricular activities and clubs you can join. I highly recommended going here.

Ellie

Indiana University Bloomington overall has great academic opportunities. It does have a reputation as a party school, which is also accurate on most accounts. The campus could take more action on making it a safer and more inclusive place to be, as well.

Anna

I love IU! It kind of has a reputation for being a party school, but I still felt at home and comfortable even though I never party. I lived in an honors dorm which was the best decision for me because I quickly found a group of friends that had similar interests and goals as myself. There are also an endless amount of opportunities to get involved around campus through clubs, activities, and organizations.