Gary, IN
Indiana University-Northwest

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Indiana University-Northwest

Alexa

During the year and a half I have attended Butler Community College, I have been involved The Fine Arts Department which involved supervising the Art Gallery and working in the Box office during performances. During this experience I have gained a lot of respect for the artists and performances in the different groups of Fine Arts. While attending Butler I have also been very involved with many science course, since I am going to school for Nursing. In today's economy, going to college to pursue an education in the career you wish to advance in is crucial. It is very important to receive the best education you can to learn and gain knowledge you will be able to use the rest of your life. Thank you for taking the time to accept me into the running of receiving money to pursue my dreams in receiving an education.

They allow students with less than stellar grades to attend.

My college experience has been valuable as it has allowed me to grow as a person. While attending college one not only learns more about the world, but about themselves. You learn about what you want academically, personally, and financially. Fresh out of high school you might have some idea of what you want to do with your life, but college helps you focus and figure out what it is to be an adult. If you weren't to attend college, you might discover all this, but certainly not as fast. In college you're "playing for keeps" a real-life version of "choose your own adventure". School is serious and they've upped the stakes. Dates aren't romantic flings but possible long-term relationships. And you're paying for all of it with time or money. It's all about choices, and college teaches you how to choose the right ones.

Carissa

In the semester that i have spent attending Indiana University Northwest I have already grown in so many ways. My advisors are amazing people and they have a great deal of advice to offer. IUN is a great school, and i am excited to see where my duration at the college takes me!

I knew a lot about Indiana Northwest before I even applied, but if there was one thing that i would've liked to know before deciding to attend, it would be to have known how tough ther science depe\artment is on students. The professors mean well and they do not want to see you fail. They push students to their furthest in hopes that they will grow as students and as professionals.

Indiana University Northwest has smaller class sizes; this allows professors to truly get to know their students! A personal relationship with porofessors and advisors allows the school to feel more like a home for sudents, rather than just an institution of education. Questions are always answered honestly and in the students best interest! IUN is a great place to be if you want college to be an EXPERIENCE and not just school!

Sara

My school is packed tightly with many students looking to acheieve their dreams of becoming whatever it is they want to be, in fact, this school is so packed with these students that there aren't even enough parking spaces!

While during my first semester people weren't extremely friendly towards me, I learned quickly that it wasn't that difficult to make friends at all. Being a psychology major, I was automatically added to the Psychology Club, which excited me since I've never really been too much of a club person. My current psychology teacher may only be a fill-in professor, but I have to say that she has to be my favorite part of college. She's an amazing teacher, and I can only hope that when she leaves at the end of this semester that the returning professor will be just as amazing and give an equal, if not even better experience than my current.

Anyone can attend this school as long as you're not looking to stay in a dormitory, that is.

Robert

Just go for it! College is a great experience. You may feel like high school is boring and that you don't ever want to set foot into a classroom again, but college will most certainly better your view on education. Unlike high school, college gives you the opportunity to learn many valuable things that you actually care about! I learn so much in one day just by listening to lectures alone. I never thought I would find learning fun until I actually started college. I also find that the way classes are set up gives me a lot more free time to study, spend time with friends or family, or enjoy hobbies. Don't let high school discourage you from gaining a higher level of education. In today?s economy, finding a good job and your dream career may be impossible without a college degree. Don?t let such a wonderful and exciting opportunity pass you up. Get the higher level of education you need and enjoy every second of it!

The best thing about my school would have to be the professors. I'm well into my sophomore year and I have yet to have a boring, dull, or uninteresting instructor. To top it off, all my instructors are very wise in what they teach. Their vast knowledge on the subject and their ability to make the classes interesting helps bring a certain level of fun to my college experience.

The most frustrating thing about my school would have to be the terrible parking availability. I attend a commuter college, so there are no dorms. Pretty much everyone, with the exclusion of those who take the city bus, drives to the university. This creates somewhat of a parking space issue. There is no parking garage, just parking lots. There have been several instances where I have been late for class because I have to walk a much longer distance to my class than I anticipated due to so many spots being taken up.

Tanya

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to think hard about what I want to be rather then where I want to be. I had always wanted to be a Radiologist, Psychologists, or to go to art school. It seems a weird combination, but I loved both. I chose art school because I wanted to go to Chicago. Hindsight is that I actually am back in Indiana doing Radiology and I love it more than I ever enjoyed art school. Helping people and having daily interaction in a fast pace setting is what I needed. Back then I just wanted to go to Chicago and have fun. So now I have alot more student loans than neccessary. So I think I would tell myself to think more about what would suit me in the future, as far as career wise, rather than location. I was young and had to learn the hard way, but am determined to graduate and hopefully go to medical school.

I love that my school and the teachers are readily available to help you at any time. Learning the health career sometimes requires alot of help with your biology, chemistry, anatomy and physiology courses, so the fact that they seem really invested in you and helping you to succeed was what led me to continue my education at this University. Their genuine care for their students is outstanding.

The only reason I would suggest that someone shouldn't come to this school, is if they were wanting to major in a program that is not available. The teachers are wonderful and there are plenty of oppurtunites to receive help with tutoring. I would suggest people attend, and I feel no one should be denied the right to receive an education because of financial problems.

Robyn

This school offered the program for which I wanted to apply. The pass rate for people involved in their radiographer program was higher than that of other schools offering it because the education is better. The teachers challenge you and there is a lot of one-on-one, hands-on experience. They offer a wide range of diversity in the school and program and stive for your success as a student.

I attended college elsewhere for two years with an undecided major. Now that I know what path I want to take, I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to just start out at this point. I would suggest getting a head start on pre-requisite classes and focusing on getting them out of the way so I could focus more on my core classes while in the actual program. I would remind myself of good study habits because they are a wonderful asset in college life. I would warn myself of the unforeseen expenses of college, such as books and uniforms for clinicals. I would tell myself to work less and focus more on school, because it is very time consuming. Skimming by with a barely passing grade are unacceptable and high grades only come with dedication to studying. I would say to be committed to path I have chosen because it is a wonderful experience, and take the most out of every day, every hour. You will meet people and do things you never imagined. So stay focused, work hard, but have fun and be grateful for the experience.

I think any person could attend this school as long as they had the determination to succeed. There is such a wide range of diveristy that it is a welcoming environment to people from all walks of life. It is also challenging in the aspect that you know you are recieveing a good education in the process.

Elisamuel

Even though I believe I prepared myself properly before I started college I would have to say it would be not as a scary step as you think it is. I will aslo tell myself it is just another gradual transition through life to meet your full potential at the end of your education. My senior self would be intimidated with college and be biting his nails by the thought of furthering his education and also having doubt as if he could handle college courses. I would explain to myself that if anything it is more laid back and college gives the student more freedom that requires responsibilty. Overall, college is an exciting time that I can handle with a strong sense of responsibilty for my actions and decisions.

I wish I have known how uneventful the campus is from a day to day basis. Also how it has that community college feel. If a student is interested in attending this college straight from high school and is expecting the full college expierence this is not it. There are many older students who are coming back to school to get their lives together. Overall, if you dont care about the big campus feel, with tons of things to do and want a quiet peaceful campus that you just want to in and out then this is for you.

The person that should not attend this school would have to be the young people who want to party and mingle. The people who wants to get away from their family and live the full college expirence. The school is cheaper but there is a reason why it is. It is because there are very few events going on and it is in Gary. If you are young and want to party with other young people not caring about price just go to Bloomington.

Knowing what I know now, I would not change much career as a student, or as a person. I went away to Purdue immediately after graduating high school, I had experiences, good and bad, that I will never forget! I met friends that I will remain friends with forever, and met professors that changed the way I thought about life and what I wanted to do with mine. I also got sucked into typical "freshman on a big campus" life. Drinking, frat parties, and missing all my early classes. My grades suffered, and after one year, I realized I was throwing my education and my own money down the drains. I moved home, took a short break to marry the man of my dreams and long time boyfriend; had our first child, whom I've had the amazing oppurtunity to be a stay at home to for the first two years. Last year I decided it's time to start over and do things right, I re-enrolled in college and received straight A's my first semester back. You see, it's easy to look back with regret, but it's harder to learn from it, and keep striving!

I had researched the classes and professors at this campus before attending, therefore, I felt knowledgable and prepared to come here. I had attended Purdue University West Lafayette a few years back, which is a huge live-on campus university, so I was fully ready for everything at IUN.

It is not in a good area, Gary is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. I have a three year old daughter that i stay home with during the day while my husband works, then I go to classes at night. It's scary sometimes walking long distances to my car, alone, at nine pm.

Kellie

My classmates are similiar to me in many ways. Every class that you take pertains to your major in some way and seeing others that will have the same future as you helps you feel comfortable interacting in the classroom.

My University is very broad in the coarse that I want to take. Along with fitting my educational needs it also fits my needs to be close to home. The character in the buildings and the medium sized campus made it feel very welcoming.

Wow, who guessed college would be like this! I have to say you picked a great college, but it sure is a workout climbing those hills. I need to give you some advice before you make it to the top. Grades are everything. You get to start fresh in college but you have to work ten times harder than you do in high school. Don't expect it to be easier because you have less classes and they don't meet everyday. You still need to put in that extra effort to do your homework and study for those exams. Doing that will help get those A's and get you closer to the best you! P.S., another major factor in getting those good grades, a adequate amount of sleep. At least eight hours. Good luck!

Indiana University-Northwest administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.