Gary, IN
Indiana University-Northwest

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Indiana University-Northwest

Knowing what I know now, I would not change much career as a student, or as a person. I went away to Purdue immediately after graduating high school, I had experiences, good and bad, that I will never forget! I met friends that I will remain friends with forever, and met professors that changed the way I thought about life and what I wanted to do with mine. I also got sucked into typical "freshman on a big campus" life. Drinking, frat parties, and missing all my early classes. My grades suffered, and after one year, I realized I was throwing my education and my own money down the drains. I moved home, took a short break to marry the man of my dreams and long time boyfriend; had our first child, whom I've had the amazing oppurtunity to be a stay at home to for the first two years. Last year I decided it's time to start over and do things right, I re-enrolled in college and received straight A's my first semester back. You see, it's easy to look back with regret, but it's harder to learn from it, and keep striving!

I had researched the classes and professors at this campus before attending, therefore, I felt knowledgable and prepared to come here. I had attended Purdue University West Lafayette a few years back, which is a huge live-on campus university, so I was fully ready for everything at IUN.

It is not in a good area, Gary is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. I have a three year old daughter that i stay home with during the day while my husband works, then I go to classes at night. It's scary sometimes walking long distances to my car, alone, at nine pm.

Kellie

My classmates are similiar to me in many ways. Every class that you take pertains to your major in some way and seeing others that will have the same future as you helps you feel comfortable interacting in the classroom.

My University is very broad in the coarse that I want to take. Along with fitting my educational needs it also fits my needs to be close to home. The character in the buildings and the medium sized campus made it feel very welcoming.

Wow, who guessed college would be like this! I have to say you picked a great college, but it sure is a workout climbing those hills. I need to give you some advice before you make it to the top. Grades are everything. You get to start fresh in college but you have to work ten times harder than you do in high school. Don't expect it to be easier because you have less classes and they don't meet everyday. You still need to put in that extra effort to do your homework and study for those exams. Doing that will help get those A's and get you closer to the best you! P.S., another major factor in getting those good grades, a adequate amount of sleep. At least eight hours. Good luck!

Indiana University Northwest located in Gary, Indiana is best known for its undergraduate studies in the pre-professional careers. These include such careers as medicine, law, and dentistry. They teach rigourous courses in these areas to prepare their students to advance to a graduate level. Scince they are a branch of the main Indiana University campus down in Bloomington, they offer their students a smaller scaled classroom setting with a fewer number of students per teacher for optimal learning experiences.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to continue striving to fulfill my highest potential both academically and as an active community member. In high school, you cannot rely on only what the teachers tell you or what they expect of you, because a lot of times that is not enough. You have to set your own standdards and have a desire to learn subjects in depth rather than just skimming the surface. In college, professors will no longer baby you and they will expect you not only to learn the material they demonstrate to you, but for you to seek knowledge from other outside sources. In addition, having the drive to fulfill your goals in life is another key attribute that is needed to be a successful college student. Although it may seem like grades and homework is all that matters, that is a major misconception. Just as important is the role that you play in your community. Colleges and employers seek well-rounded individuals that are able to communicate effectively and demonstrate a good-natured personality.

The most frustrating thing about Indiana University Northwest is that they do not offer enough degree programs. They offer many of the basic degrees offered by most colleges, but none that make them unique or stand out.

Kelly

My school has a very diverse population which will help me develop social skills to help my encounter with the various ethnic groups in the U.S. today.

My classmates are helpful and encouraging in a postive way to help me strive to pursue my career goal.

If i could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself is to stay concentrated, and don't slack off, because even though its your last year in high school, it still counts. I would also, get a job and save most of the money i made, because college life isn't cheap. I would also try to be more independent, because in college mommy and daddy are not there to help you everytime you need them. Another thing I would do is develop good study habits, because in college an exam has more than one chapter on them, they usually have 3-5 chapters, and you can not learn 3-5 chapters worth of informaiotn in one night. Also becasue exams make up 90% of your grade unlike high school where you have homework and other grades accumulated in one. So the main thing I would tell myself is to not stress about college, try to develop good study habbits, but since it is your senior year, I would tell myself to enjoy everylast minute of it and to have fun with your friends you might never see again.

Crystal

Before enrolling in classes their are 3 things you need to do. #1 Do some type of survey or test to see what you would be good at (careerwise) that fits your lifestyle and you are passionate about. #2 Search for colleges that are known for your major and have a good graduation rate as well as a high level of job placement right out of school. #3 This is the most important thing you should do before deciding what school to go to. GO TO THE CAMPUS and STAY for a few days. Outside of actually visiting with your family and hearing all about the campus history from a tour guide, find a program that will allow you to stay with a upper classmen. That way you can hear from a student first hand the good AND the bad of the school. Then go to a class with them and take notes, so you can see the classroom size, the type of students, the style of the professor, the required walk or transportation to get to class, the food options, (I could go on and on) but basically so you can feel confident in your choice of school!

The diversity. This is my third campus during my undergrad degree and a lot of schools pretend to have a good "diverse campus" but they dont have engaging activities that would allow you to socialize with people with different backgrounds. Indiana University Northwest Business school has a lot of group assignments and activities where you are put into groups of people you don't know or normally wouldn't socialize with. By the end of each semester I always have a new group of good friends!

What I wanted to get my degree in. When I graduated from high school I thought I knew what I wanted to do. But after being in school a semester, I changed my mind. Career services offers a test that measures your passions with your strengths to help you decide what to focus on in school. I wish I would have looked into something like that before wasting my money and time on classes that are now unrelated to my major.

Brooke

The class size and how close everyone lives to one another. Its nice to live close to class mates so if you need help with an assignment they are close by.

I would give my advice to take school more seriously. I went into college just because it was what I was told to do. After having my daughter, I know you need college to succeed in life. I would have prepared myself more in high school and learned good study tips. Also, I would have looked more into scholarships and grants instead of just assuming I'd be able to pay for college.

The class size and how everyone seems to really care for one another. People will share notes, make study groups and really try and help one another.

Amber

IUN is a smaller school which allows for smaller class sizes. When you have smaller class sizes you receive more attention from the professors. I feel you are able to learn more because the professors have the ability to truly take an interest in every student. IUN is a satelliete campus for Indiana University in Bloomington so although it is a smaller school you still have the big school advantages.

I would tell myself to really take the time to figure out what you want to be when you grow up. My undergrad degree was in Health Services Management. I then went on to law school after which I practiced law for four years before going back to school to get my masters in accounting. I am now currently seeking employment. Often times I wonder where my life would be had I gotten my undergrad in accounting or bypassed law school and went to work in the health administration field. I think it is difficult at the age of 18 to know what your life holds in five years. It is important to listen to yourself and your own desires and not what others think you should do. Attending class is also VERY important. It is too easy to fall trap to the freedom. No parents around to tell you to get up and go to class. No principals calling to notify your parents you weren't there. No one monitoring your test scores or making sure you did homework. Once you fall behind it is very difficult to catch up. College is very important to your entire future!

I graduated from Indiana University. The name itself is something to be proud of. I brag about the professors. It felt more like a highschool classroom in that the professors really knew who I was and where I was headed with my future. I was able to excel and graduate with honors. When I was there the campus was making improvements to its layout making it easier to stay there all day and study between classes while enjoying the benefits of computer labs and a new student area.

Marisa

If I could go back in time and talk to myself before I was a high school senior in order to prepare myself the future then that would be better; however, if I must settle and just go back to a high school senior then I would advise myself on these three matters. First, I would tell myself that everything you do from this point on affects the rest of your life. Second, I would help myself grasp that although I am graduating and moving further in my education; I should always treasure my experiences as a reference instead of running away from them. Third, never give up. If you didn't do so well in high school, so what. You can always change and you can always do better. So the next time you get a B, do not think of it as the end of the world. There is so much advice that I wish I could give myself at all stages of life but that is okay. Because now I have learned those lessons.

I am sure others would have a different opinion then myself; however, I love the fact that I am attending classes with people who actually care about learning. I love being surrounded by working adults or adults returning to school; they aren't just attending school for the fun of it.

gabrielle

I believe this school is a great school for my education and to get certified to be a teacher, I want to to be an inspiration and a role model for special education students, I believe since its an four year college I will not have to go any where else to go for my education, I will not have to transfer to any other school because I heard so many good things about this school, I know many teachers , and other professionals that went to Indiana University Northwest and got their proffesional licenses from this great school.

I would of went to high school and made the best grades possible and went straight to college after to make a better life for myself.

The kind of person who should attend is a person like myself who want to further their education. This person should have everything together whether they are decided or not. I 've been out of school for years and finished having my family so I want it to be inspirational for my children to let them know its not to late. I 'm a struggling single mother trying to take care of six children by myself. It really don't matter what type of person wanting to go for an education to better their self. Different cultures is also great.

IUN has a very diverse population.

IUN has a very diverse population.

I would tell myself to stay focus and have a plan. College is easy if you apply yourself. Take your time and make sure that understand before moving forward on something and you will do great. Don't limit yourself to one thing or one decision. Don't get into a relationship until you have accomplished what you want.

There isn't any campus housing. There is no pool, swim team or football team. This campus, in my opinion, would be a second choice or a last resort for many. Some of the professors are not understanding of the outside factors that hinder students from performing at their best.

Indiana University-Northwest administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.