Indiana University-Northwest Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Indiana University-Northwest

Chardonay

My overall opinion of Indiana University- Northwest is very decent. I don't have anything to complain about because the school is very nice in being very cultivated but also in having a nice sized community for the students to come together as a family. The school is where you can get most of your work done with the help of many students on campus.

Lindsey

Indiana University gave me the opportunity to return to school, which I appreciate very much. Though, the major I wished to pursue is not easily accessible. Communication majors may struggle to receive the education they urn for here. Other degree programs, such as psychology, criminal justice, nursing, and the fine arts fields are very lucky to have such an affordable option to receive their degree. Speaking of affordability, books, and supplies from the bookstore were much cheaper than expected, plus the staff in the bookstore is always willing, ready, and able to help! Also, there is a new Arts and Sciences building, which once again, if you're fine art major of any kind you will be thoroughly impressed by. Most classrooms are designed for discussion type classes, and the building itself is prioritized by its eco-friendly design. Plus, if you're into theater, you will fall in love! The new Arts and Sciences building has not one, but two brand new theaters with accompanying backstage space! In all, Indiana University is an amazing campus, with amazing opportunities, I just wished it would place more importance on COM majors.

Shelea

Indiana University is a great school that offers an amazing curriculum. I don't believe we have any sororities or fraternities on campus nor do we have an on-campus housing. We are not as large as our sister schools in Bloomington or Southbend so we don't participate in or have sports like these do nor do we have the numerous activities but we do have a great curriculum. If your education is what's important to you than IU Northwest is the perfect university for you.

Corey

It is a great school all around but the location of the school is in a bad area. I grew up in the area so I know what and what not to do, but for others who are not familiar with the area are a little frightened by some of the things that go on. Other than the location, IUN is a top knotch school

Jocelyn

I feel like Indiana University- Northwest is a nice place to go to school. It is relatively close to home and has many things to offer. It is not such a big campus that it is overwhelming but it a nice size to keep ourselves moving. I enjoy going to school here very much.

Nicholas

Even though Indiana University Northwest is not in the best area, I enjoy it as a school. The students that attend are friendly and dedicated to succeeding to ensure their future. The professors are very helpful whenever assistance is needed, as well as available to talk to outside of class whenever necessary. Overall, it is a great school to attend, and recommended to at least those who are beginning college, or even preparing to finish their education.

Natalia

A good small campus with some good teachers and very inclusive in terms of political standing, disabilities, and race relations. Situated in the heart of Gary, it is surprisingly safe. The cost is about on par with most community colleges. There's several club opportunities available and opportunities to enhance learning through tutoring, writing centers, math centers, etc. It is most well-known for its nursing and teaching programs. Overall, a worthwhile learning establishment.

Bailey

It is a school that is easy to get what you need and feel safe. There are plenty of outside study materials and tutors. The only thing I don't like is the the lack of professionalism when it comes to certain professors and staff. Overall, I really like my school.

Tonja

I feel like I am a member of a family. I feel Indiana University Northwest is a community where I belong. I feel welcomed and supported. I am a non-traditional adult student. It has been more than twenty years since I attended college last. Indiana University Northwest advisers were very professional and cared about my personal success. I received very sound advice regarding my plan of study. The admissions counselor reviewed all my transfer credits and now I am thirty hours away from attaining my degree. Completion of my degree seemed impossible. Now I can’t believe I just submitted my request for graduation. How awesome is that?!

Nina

the school is a great environment the teachers are easy to access the facilities are up to date we are kept very safe with campus police learning difficult subjects is easier with study groups and available tutoring for everyone it is also a affordable education

Carley

Overall, Indiana University Northwest is a great college to attend. People often over look IUN because of its location but that is not a big factor. All the staff is very welcoming. IUN has a family atmosphere and the classes are not too big. If you're looking for a family based college choice IUN!

Amy

Although a smaller, regional campus of the Indiana University system, attending IUN has been such a wonderful experience. The small class sizes allow for effective professor to student interaction and class discussions. Professors are always available, through office hours, appointments, email and phone contact, and they are always willing to help you with anything you need. I enjoy the variety of courses the school has to offer, and I know that IUN has prepared me to excel as a graduate student in the future. Making IUN my school of choice for my undergraduate degree is the best decision I could have made for my education!

Pamara

I have visited this school and will be going to this school in the near future. I am actually okay with this campus. However the only problem that I have is that it doesn't have an on-campus and an off-campus dorm. So now I am currently finding a flat to stay in.

Olga

I just started school at IUN, and I can say it has exceeded my expectations ! The IUN community is very nice thing to be apart of and I am glad I am. The faculty and staff are there for you for just about anything. As well as the other students, which have formed a close knit group of people. I love the atmosphere which is very nice and clean, a huge plus ! The classes are smaller than usual college classes, which I love because it is easier to stay engaged. Overall it is a great place to be and get your degree !!

This was the worst school I have ever attended. I transferred here from Indiana University in Bloomington to IUN. I was enrolled in classes and despite all of this I was not recognized as a student for a few months. Every time I tried to do anything on campus they had no record of my existence. It was extremely frustrating. My teachers were nice and well educated. The classes were lackluster and terrible though. The range in experience and ability was so far removed from one to the other that class was difficult. Imagine being in a foreign language class and being able to fluently express ideas and having other classmates who are two or three levels below you and who should never be at a 400 level class yet there they are because IUN needs funding to fill classes. Go here if you know college will be difficult because this place is a joke compared to IU Bloomington.

Kristina

Indiana University-Northwest is definitely a good start for undergraduate students. I can't imagine my self at any other college. IUN has a beautiful campus with diverse and supportive faculty and professors that are helpful, caring and knowledgeable.

Jeanai

It is a small campus but it is very friendly, and everyone is open to have a conversation with. There are not many extra activities to do but it's a good college. The class sizes are nice and you are able to ask questions and talk directly to your professor. There are really good study groups and tutoring groups you can attend for almost any subject. There are writing lab and computer access in almost every building you enter. Indiana University is overall a good college.

Amya

It’s great

Teri

I've been to five schools and IUN has been my favorite. I feel like I learned a lot, and got a connection with my professors. The food and surrounding area could use improvement, but if you go to college for academics then this is the school for you!

Alexandra

It is a small campus where everyone knows each other. The class sizes are typically pretty small and there is great student-teacher relationships. There is no on campus housing, but there are apartments nearby. There are places to eat on campus and the they have a big library with lots of places to study. Overall, I think IUN is a great place for people to go to college.

Mary

It’s a really nice school. Even though it’s in Gary In I feel safe on campus!

Lena

I feel like IUN is often judged for its status as a commuter college, but it is far from the stereotypical understanding of what a community college is (which I wouldn't even consider it to be). The quality of education I received was incredible, and I felt ready to move on to graduate school with ease because of my preparation. The opportunities I was fortunate enough to obtain were largely a result of the small size of the college, which is really important to me. It was easy to make connections and build relationships with professors because of the intimate sizes of each class, and they were almost all well qualified and insightful in their areas of interest.

brian

It is a great school to start off in, as it have many majors from art, to dentistry, and even the medical field as well. The food is great and the vending machines are well put throughout the buildings as well. The library is a great place to go and study as well as its very quiet and peaceful.

Kassandra

I have been at Indiana Univerity-Northwest for over a year and a half and I really enjoy it. The teachers are all extremely friendly and willing to help students develop good study habits. The technological service people are very friendly as well. Even though the school is located in Gary, Indiana, I think students feel pretty safe, especially since the police officers are always available.

Alexandra

Indiana University Northwest is a great campus! It is smaller than it's parent school in Bloomington, but the campus does everything it can to engage with students. Personally, I preferred a smaller campus and classes, as it would allow you to get more one-on-one time with professors if needed. The campus itself is located in a rough area in Gary, Indiana; however, I never felt unsafe while going to or from classes or extra-curricular activities, as the police presence was prevalent throughout campus.