Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Deborah

I can't really say there are some common stereotypes in my school because everybody on their own way gently but i think accent of people of international student can be a stereotype in the school. I never came across any stereotype in my school. They all corporate and understand each other.

Karin

As an inner city university campus, we have many different kinds of people. The most common are working parents and anyone that doesn't want to break the bank for a higher education! We are such a diverse campus that I cannot really say we really have any common stereotypes for the kinds of students that go here.

Jagdeep

The stereotype of students at IUPUI are nice productive, and motivating students that come to learn and do well in their future careers. I have not seen any frat kids, stoners, geeks on campus. Students are all mostly in separate schools within IUPUI. For example, the Law School, the Kelley School of Business, the School of Medicine, and the School of Liberal Arts. These different schools offered by IUPUI would be one way of stereotyping the students on campus.This is not to say that frat students don't attend campus but they probably do party off-campus. Drugs and alcohol have not been an issue at IUPUI and so I don't believe there are any stoners on campus. I would say for the most part, this way I stereotyped the students by what school they go is accurate.

Jagdeep

The stereotype of students at IUPUI are nice productive, and motivating students that come to learn and do well in their future careers. I have not seen any frat kids, stoners, geeks on campus. They are all mostly in separate schools within IUPUI. For example, the Law School, the Kelley School of Business, the School of Medicine, and the School of Liberal Arts. These different schools offered by IUPUI would be one way of stereotyping the students on campus.This is not to say that frat students don't attend campus but they probably do party off-campus. Drugs and alcohol have not been an issue at IUPUI and so I don't believe there are any stoners on campus.

The stereotype is, because it's a commuter campus, that students who come here are all non-traditional, couldn't afford to go anywhere else, etc. Not all, but some IU students in Bloomington have this attitude that IUPUI is second-rate compared to IUB and easier to get into, and that's just not true. Our students are just as diverse, and many of them chose IUPUI for several reasons that have nothing to do with cost or 'ease of access.'

Carlos

IUPUI is perceived to have older students than traditional colleges because it is a commuter school. This stereotype is partially accurate only because IUPUI offers a variety of night classes for part time students. Other than that, IUPUI has a very youthful and diverse student body.

IUPUI students have the absolute freedom to be what ever they want to be. IUPUI is home to about 15 different nationally recognized fratanities and sororities. To the list of all of them, please follow the link below. http://life.iupui.edu/osi/fsl/orgs.html The beauty of the diversity IUPUI does not only dwell in the presence of over 300 student organizations, but IUPUI through its office of student involvement proudly supports and sponsors its student organizations. Also, IUPUI students are allowed to establish their own student organizations in case none of the already existing ones suites them and they will be proudly supported by IUPUI. I am a personal testimony of that. IUPUI recently launched the multicultural center, a huge center that focuses on uniting the common virtues of the different cultures that are represented in IUPUI in addition to the huge office of student involvements that already exists. The following links can provide more information. http://msc.iupui.edu/ http://life.iupui.edu/osi/

Commuters... Everytime you tell someone you go to IUPUI, they expect you to live at home and drive there. This stereotype is not true as the campus lifestyle is growing exponentially at IUPUI. I have been to 1201 Indiana and it is better than the dormlife at purdue, this is based on experience.

Kaleb

A stereotype of IUPUI students is that we are a college of shallow pocketed commuters. I would fit in that category, but really, the college is making an effort to break that mold by adding dorms and apartment options for campus side students. If you want to make the most of your experience here, I would advise being an on campus student - there are plenty of clubs and organizations for you to meet new people and share in new experiences. As one of my on campus friends wryly told me, "Commuters don't make connections."

One of the great things about IUPUI is that it is home to a generally non-stereotypical student body. While it is a diverse campus with students from many walks of life, you do not need to fit into a certain 'group' to have an active campus life. A lot of our students are International and come from all over the world! We also have many returning adult education students. We are a commuter college, but there are always fun events happening on or near campus. We do not have many fraternities or sororities, crazy campus parties, or clubs.