Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis Top Questions

Jagdeep

I believe IUPUI is becoming a more prominent school as the days go by. Some of the best things that happen at this school are the IUPUI Day of Caring events as well as other events hosted on campus, the numerous club events such as Kelley's Movie Night. Also, there are lots of welcoming events for new students on campus where you get free t-shirts, free samples, free food, and other benefits. I would say our school is large considering there is a parking issue time to time but it is not as a bad as most schools around Indiana. I would say the numerous buildings and parking spaces on campus would definitely define the school as large. If there would be one thing I would change, it would be having an expansion of the campus even further so there would be parking, more opportunities, and more spread for students to go around. When I tell students I go to IUPUI, they are really proud of me because it isn't exactly easy to get into IUPUI unlike Ivy Tech. Also, the school offers a variety of degrees and the more opportunities, the better you realize what you want to do. One of the places I spend most of my time on campus is at the Campus Center, where there is a Barnes N Nobles, Starbucks, several restaurants, the JagTag Office for purchase issues on campus, a game room, and several other places to go within the building. The other place is at the University Library where the library is open almost all the time when you need to study, use a computer, print documents, scan documents, need help in writing, or just grab a cup of coffee. Since the campus is in Indy, the mall isn't that far away from campus, and there are several restaurants right next to campus. We even have a McDonald's at Riley Hospital to support the hospital. The school's administration is pretty nice. They are here to help you move along on your career paths and give you direction when you need so. The biggest recent controversy on campus would be the hosting of the Super Bowl at Lucas Oil Stadium just a couple of blocks away from campus. One of the teams even spent the night at the University Hotel on campus. I would definitely say there is a lot of school pride. I practically see tons of people representing the school with apparel and backpacks everyday. There is definitely nothing unusual about the school at all from my perspective. One experience I will always remember was when I was participating at the IUPUI Day of Caring event and we helped a veteran by painting his house. It was truly an honor to help an individual who helped represent our country. I would say there aren't any frequent student complaints other than parking but this is only minor.

Jagdeep

Jagdeep

Carlos

Overall, I couldn't be more happy with my decision to attend IUPUI. The best thing about IUPUI is that it offers a great education at an affordable price. I absolutely loved its modern campus, which continues to grow every year, and its location in downtown indianapolis. Who needs a college town when campus is located in a major U.S City? Home of the Indianapolis Colts and the Indiana Pacers, who offer $10 tickets for college night. Campus life was always fun especially once the new student center was built, which contains a modern food court and game room. If I ever wanted to do some thing different, I would walk downtown which always had a variety of activities for all such as Crackers Comedy Club, Circle Center mall, and great restaurants. I have always found IUPUI's administration to be very helpful and resourceful. The professors and advisors always seemed to care about their student's futures and provided us with the best advice. Class sizes were just right so professors were always accessible. The one disappointing aspect of IUPUI was their parking situation. Student enrollment increased every year which made parking some what difficult. Fortunately, the problem was not ignored and extra parking was made available for students in the form of parking garages and shuttle buses. The one experience that I will always remember, other than all the great times with my awesome new friends, would be being a part of the Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl celebration. It was such a great and unique experience. I can't wait to go back to indy this year for the Super Bowl, which will be held in Lucas Oil Stadium.

One of the best things about IUPUI is that IUPUI is all about the success of her students. This is one of the things that gives me great pride in my school. Also, IUPUI has just the right size of students. The lectures settings are just small enough to have a one-on-one connection with the instructor and just big enough to foster a profound interaction among students. Every site on campus is a conducive environment for any kind of student. The classrooms are amazingly equipped with the right technology monitored by the University Information and Technology Services (UITS) to enhance learning. A lot of IUPUI lectures are recorded for the students to have unlimited access to during the semester for better understanding of the materials. Talking about the administration of IUPUI, the administrative offices operate an unusual open door policy that welcomes students into the offices at every minute of the office hours even to the offices of the chancellor and his assistants. The administration periodically organizes a gathering of student organization leaders to listen to their laments on behalf of every student on campus and they go back to their offices to instrument an improvement. I see the intensive support that IUPUI gives to her students as exceptional. I will never forget the time that I was accepted to present my research paper in a national conference at North Carolina and I had no funds to travel and attend. By only mentioning it in the ears of the Assistant Chancellor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in person of Dr. Kenneth Durgans, he instantly funded my $500 registration and referred me to the director of the multicultural success center who paid for my flight and my faculty's associate dean who funded all the remaining expenses. This experience reassured me that IUPUI is my school

I love my school! I was accepted into Purdue's school of engineering but was unable to afford it so I took the scholarship at IUPUI. That was the best decision of my life, I couldn't be happier here.

Kaleb

The best things about the school are the location in the heart of Indianapolis and the low cost to pay for the privilege. The most frequent complaint has been parking in the selfsame area, However, with the building of a new parking garage, spaces are opening up. I mostly hang out in the campus center along Michigan St. and University Blvd.. There is a nice food court on the first floor and five floors of seating options. A convenient place to study is the University Library, where the third floor is mandatory quiet for a peaceful concentration.

IUPUI is the best value for your college experience in the state of Indiana. You will pay considerably less than that of a private four year college while obtaining the same degree as students at Indiana or Purdue Universities. Having attended classes at both IU and IUPUI, I actually prefer the smaller classes and personal relationships I have developed with professors and fellow classmates at IUPUI. The location of the buildings are close together, making walks to and from buildings in inclement weather better than the Bloomington location. While parking can be challenging at times, that just becomes more of an incentive to go green and walk, take the free school bus or take advantage of the new downtown Indianapolis bike lanes. If you are interested in law, business or medicine, there are so many internship opportunities available near campus. While the school has a large enrollment (30,000+), the fact that many students take night classes means that the campus never feels overcrowded or overwhelming. I think that people often get the wrong idea of IUPUI: "Why didn't you just go to IU or Purdue?" I LOVE this school, and being downtown Indianapolis provides so many opportunities that one could not have anywhere else.