Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis Top Questions

Thamara

If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would definitely have few words of advice I would give myself. My first piece of advice would be, understand how financial aid works. My mother did not go to college and did not understand the process of financial aid. I didn’t understand what “refund” meant or advice on what to spend it on. I received $5000 dollars at the age of 18 and didn’t know what to do with it. Looking back I would have pulled less loans out if I didn’t need it or use the money more appropriately. I would tell myself not to work as much while in college. Allow myself the opportunity to devote time to my studies, participate in extracurricular activities and be less fatigued in class. I would have also focused more on my studies looking back on it because GPA means a lot and I regret not dedicating the time to improve my work.

Katelynn

Looking back on my high school self, I was a mess. Depending on the person, if you ask them about their high school experience they either loved it or hated it. I hated it. High school is cruel. High school age students are still trying to discover who they really are and the hard part is being judged while you do so. I struggled to find myself in high school. I tended to go with the flow of what was popular and not truley show my personality. Looking back I would definitely tell my high school self that it isn't worth popularity to have to act like a person you aren't. The people that really matter and really care about you will be there to support you when you are your real self. Popularity wasn't worth not sticking up for the kid being bullied. Popularity is not worth anthing in the real world. I would tell my high school self to not conform to others views and to stand up for what I believe in.

Dear Me: When you leave for college next year, remember to remain strong. Don't feel like you have to conform in order to fit in. Lots of people will suggest to you that smoking dope is fun and won't hurt anything. Don't believe them. Marijuana will get you sidetracked. It will distort your priorities and change your attitudes. It will become the primary focus in your life and make you forget why you came to college in the first place. Please don't go there. You will transform from a promising young man with a bright future into an unmotivated slacker who thinks only about getting high today. Your grades will bottom out, you will leave school, and you will spend ten years of your life wallowing in the sludge at the bottom of the barrel. You will experiment with LSD and become addicted to cocaine. Eventually, you will recognize the tragedy of your wasted youth, but they will be years you can't reclaim. Although you will pick yourself up, return to school, and earn a Bachelor's degree, you will always wonder how your life would have turned out if you had only remained strong.

MIchael

Life is about to smack you in the face! Wake up! No, really, you need to wake yourself up; do your own laundry; step away from the video games, and learn better techniques on how to study. Write one two page paper a day, so by the time you actually have to write one you’ll be decent at it. This will save you at least two English classes and one history class worth of hardship, trust me. Additionally, college girls are not like you think. Shrug off all of your so-called high school swag and repeat after me: I am an idiot. Shut up. Listen. They’re actually a whole lot smarter than you, and will have very little to do with you if you do not learn how to listen. And lastly, don’t ask for stupid graduation presents. You will lose them, break them, or leave in your old bedroom closet, which will be turned into a workout room that your mom and dad will never use. Instead, ask for gift cards to restaurants. That’s right, you heard me. You’ll get tired of Ramen noodles, grilled cheese sandwiches, and the dollar menu. Thanks.

Dear Self, As your you begin your senior year keep these things in mind. First if you fail that math class, even though you don't need it to graduate, you will forever be forced to take the same math class with a myriad of different names even though you keep passing it. Y=mx+b I get it. You have to apply for scholarships because once you are out of high school you become instantly ineligible for about 50 precent of all scholarships. Save all the money you made working on the weekends and holidays, because maybe then the amount of debt you incur won't be quite so crippling. Sincerely, Self

Do whatever literally scares you to do. Approach those jocks and make friends even if you don't have an athletic bone in your body. Join the drama club, even though you have no idea how to act. Whatever you do, don't sit in the shadows because you are scared. You will regret every choice you didn't make rather than the ones that were bad. Your high school years will be the best years of you life, but only if you reach out and make yourself the life of the party.

Stephanie, you need to seize life and find more balance. You focus too much on your studies and need to take more time to have fun. Remember all of those Friday and Saturday nights you spent studying in high school? I want to make sure that you do not make that same mistake in college. You may eventually by your junior or senior year realize this. However, in college, it takes effort to form relationships with others since you will have classes with hundreds of people, and your classes will not have all the same students. You also need to get to know the women on your floor and be sure to go out and do things with them when they ask especially if it is on a Friday or Saturday night. Take advantage of studying during the day on Saturday and in between classes so that you do not feel guility going out and having some fun. You should also take advantage of all of the speakers and social opportunities on campus. This will make you a well-rounded indvidual, and the social aspect of life will allow you to succeed and perform at a higher level in school.

Alissa

I would tell myself not to worry about making friends or about not being accepted on campus. There's no need to worry about signing up for classes because all of the guidance councelors are knowledgeable and are more than willing to answer any questions that I'll have. There are plenty of class options so that I would still have time to work and save up money and still have time for a social life. The only thing that I would change is to be even more involved with campus activities and to get to know professors outside of my major of study. I would tell myself to volunteer more and to go out of my comfort zone and try and get involved in things I wouldn't normally consider fun. I would tell myself to take advantage of the writing lab and free online tutorials more and to do more independent studies. I have one more year left and there's nothing stopping me from doing more of these things, but I wish I had an earlier start on them. I'd tell myself to enjoy life at IUPUI now, becasue I'm really going to miss it.

First of all, I would allow myself to breathe. There are so many pressures from other people about where to go from high school, and it can be really overwhelming. I think it is easy to forget how much it is about your life, not the people around you. I think if you know what you want to do with your life, that is wonderful and you should chase your dreams. I also think that it is important to explore the world and try to get some experience in different areas if you aren't sure where you want to end up. My advice would be to check yourself and see if college is really the best next step for you. If you are going, you want to be going with an eagerness to learn, not with an obligation hanging heavy on your heart. The experience will be way more enjoyable and successful if you know what interests you and what you are passionate about. But once you know that, go for it. College is full of learning experiences, and it isn't just about academics. You learn about life.

Cierra

I'd slap myself and tell myself to get in shape, don't be lazy. College isn't the joke I used to think it is, that it was easy. I'd make sure the past me got the message clearly, even if it involves more slaps. I'd make myself go do homework, apply for scholarships, and getmy head out of my behind. Being a senior in high school is no time to mess around and potential mess my life up. I'd also probably tell myself to get a part time job, save up money that way. Basically not be such a bum.

Many things come to mind that I would love to tell my high school self - "Don't worry about what people think about you" or "You'll actually miss your family when you move away", but probably the most important thing would be to go into the education field from the get-go. I am currently going back to school to receive my teaching certification as I have decided that I wanted to teach. However, since I came from a family of teachers, I wanted to try something different, so I pursued Communication. When I had only a year left of college, I knew that I didn't like what I was doing, however, I just wanted to graduate, get a job and start making money. After having 3 different jobs since graduating from college, I decided to return to school. This was a hard desicion because I felt that I had wasted those first years. However, as I sit here now reflecting about this time, I realized I learned much from those experiences and really wouldn't want to change a thing. I would simply tell my high school self to be content no matter what I am doing.

ashley

Given the oppertunity to speak with my highschool self, my only advice would be to believe in myself so that I could keep on with school! I had so much potential leaving highschool, however, because I did not have the emotional support and was still on the wrong path (thats to adolences and teenaged angst)I did not continue with school and directly went into the work force. I was a silver knight nominee and an amazing artist, had outstanding grades and a bright road. If I had at least one person who was close to me push me forward, I would not have lived the through the damaging circumstances in my early 20's. I reentered school at 24, already a single-parent, and living alone with my child. Had I kept going with school, I would not be facing the financial and emotional struggles I am now. I finally opened my eyes, and reenrolled. However, it is not for myself, but for my child. I will be that emotional support she needs, so that she does not falter like I did.

JaShell

If I could give my high school-self advice about college, I would tell myself to remain hopeful. In this life, many things work their way into our lives and try to tear us down, physically, emotionally, and mentally. The stresses of college increase this wearing and tearing. When we get weary, hope is the only thing that keeps us smiling. I will admit my first year of college wasn’t the best. I was dealing with personal aspects of a 17-year-old’s life that reflected in some of my work. I wasn’t truly happy or enjoying life as much as I should’ve been. I was close to just giving up on my work because of how hard I was making it seem, but right when I felt I was giving up, I began to think of why I was in school in the first place. I knew that the outcome would lead me to more happiness than I could’ve imagined. So I remained hopeful and reminded myself every day that it didn’t matter where I was at for the moment because where I was going to end up was worth fighting for.

When I was in high school, I was very adamant about my four year plan; I knew how and when and where I would pursue my career goals. Fortunately, nothing worked out the way I planned, but at the time, I was disappointed about some of the setbacks that I encountered. If I could give myself advice as a high school senior, I would tell myself that everything works out for the best. I did not get into nursing the first time I applied and had to transfer schools, but I now love where I am and am thankful that this was the opportunity that I was meant for. I would have never gained the experience or friends I have now, if things worked out the way I had originally planned. I would remind myself to keep working hard, and the obstacles that are upsetting now, will be lifesavers in the end.

Peggy

If I could go back in time and talk to my younger high school self, I would tell myself to wait for one to five year(s) before attending school. I was not mature enough at that time to attend an institution of higher learning. I would tell myself to be a lot more serious about my grades and future, that my poor class attendance and even worse grades will follow me for years to come. I flunked out of school (too much partying) in my sophomore year in 1986. Don't worry what other people think of you, especially your fellow high school classmates. You'll probably never see them again anyway. Besides, everyone makes mistakes. Take Chemistry and Biology, and stop being afraid of science courses. Stop being afraid, PERIOD. Treat your depression now; don't wait until age 28 to do so. Stop the alcohol abuse now, quit drinking and enter AA while you are still young. I would tell myself "Your past does not define your future or who you are today. Your parents' mistakes are not your own." Hlep yourself make something of your life now. And be happy, it's most important!

As a 31 year old woman, high school seems so far back on the road I've been traveling. While I never long to relive that part of the journey I certainly have some advice for the yonger me, who seems like a hazy reflection of my current self. I would encourage her not to worry what other people think and not to assess her own worth by the acceptance of others. With all of the adults around having unrealistic expectations regarding her ability to know exactly what she wants from life, I would let her know to be patient and that appreciating each day is much more important than worrying about what the future holds. Regardless of how much a person plans, life never turns out exactly as they expect.

Cali

I would tell myself that I was good at something and I just have to go out and find it. College seems scary, but if you work hard and keep an open mind there is nothing you can't do. I know you think you are going to fail, but you are smart and hard working and in college people are going to recognize that in you. You will be rewarded and revered by the school, you'll be the example to the rest of the class. You are going to be good at so many things because you love to learn you just haven't had the right enivironment yet. I believe in you and you should believe in yourself. You are wonderful and college is going to help you realize that and become who you really are.

Jhamie

I am currently taking a Transitions course at my local college. This course teaches a lot of things that would be useful to high school students today. While I understand the emphasis of general subjects to further educations, why haven't we (in the past) had classes that deal with the realistic aspects of life after leaving your parents to pursue your future? Going back in time, I would tell myself to implement time management skills, patience, monetary budgeting, perseverence, career planning , and stress management. If I had to put time into anything, it would be those six skills. In college, if one can master (or come close) to all of these important attributes, then the stress level and pressures of college life would be significantly less, thus increasing the overall performance and outlook of the student after graduating. These skills can and should be applied to life after college as well.

braelyn

I would absolutely try my best to prepare myself more in all aspects such as; managing and budgeting my money, focusing on what excatly I see myself doing career wise and taking the time to apply for every scholarship I possibly could.

The first advice I would give myself as a high school student would be to learn some good time management skills. Everything in your college life revolves around class schedules and due dates so it is critical that you learn to plan ahead. The best way to handle your homework is to set aside certain days to work on your different classes. The second advice I give would be to get involved with activities and clubs on your campus, do not be afraid to go out of your confort zone. College is more enjoyable when you finally meet and connect with other people who share the same passion for the career that you are pursuing. The last bit of advice I would give would be to stay focused on your goals. Look for opportunities to gain experience working or volunteering in the career you want to do. It will help keep you motivated towards achieving your goals and ultimately earing your degree.

During the last two years of high school, counselors and teaches put a tremendous amount of pressure on what we wanted to do in college. If I could go back and talk to myself, I would tell myself that you will have time in college to figure this out.High school does not provide many opportunities for students to delve into the career field they are interested in. Some classes may have aspects, but college is where you get the full experience. Many students change their majors or do not get into a program. In turn, students have to re-route their plan. This is what happened to me and it was the best thing to ever happen. I am now in a competitive Radiology program and I love it. Knowing this in high school would have saved my family and I from a lot of unwanted stress.

Hilda

I would advice my high-school-senior self that the best thing to do is search for scholarships. I would tell her that this will benefit her in the future because even though our parents can give us money, they cannot always give us the money we need to pay for college. By applying for scholarships, including the ones that may not apply to us, it will be easier to know that we have an opportunity to obtain free money so that we may be able to pay for everything we will need in college, especially textbooks. I would also tell my high-school-senior self that by applying to many scholarships, she will have more chances of winning enough money to cover university costs by the time she transitions from college to university. I will encourage her to never give up on her studies and to study whichever area she desires to study. Most importantly, I would let her know that it is all right to begin in a community college if she wishes to do so because as a current college student, it has benefited me to save money in college and use it to save for university.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to listen to ESPN's Stuart Scott who told me to, "Listend to your parents and do your homework". I spent the last few years of high school thinking they didn't know what they talked about and were out to make me miserable. Looking back, they were right about everything. For example, they told me that my ex-girlfriend was bad news and that I should stay focused my senior year. I didn't believe them, but they were right. I almost dropped out of college because of my ex-girlfriend. She was controlling and turned me away from my family. Family should always come first. My parents told me that I would regret not doing sports in highschool or college and they were right. I would tell myself take college math as soon as possible. I waited a few years to take math and really struggled, because I forgot how to do a lot of it. Finally, I would tell myself to network as much as possible. Not only will you make more friends, but it will also help you find a job.

Nashley

I would tell myself to be more focused, not to get lost in the activities that surround our University. I would also tell myself not to procrastinate. Procrastination is the worst thing to do in college because there are always numerous homeworks due each week. Doing well in your first semester in college is important. Opportunities like honors societies and other benefit are more likely to happen with a good GPA the first semester. Another thing I have found very important is organization. My planner is my best friend. I would not know what to do if I did not have my planner. Getting involved in the various activites at a University is important to success. I would have liked to get involved more than I am. By getting involved you are able to make friends which is always good to have when taking hard classes!

College will test the balance between work, play, and socializing. Don't overestimate your abilities. Get things done quickly and efficiently. Stay organized and adapt to changes in plans. The library, professors, counselors, advisors, and tutors help to make a smooth transition from high school and through college. Stay confidant, assertive, and social. Make yourself known to your professors, and join as many clubs as you can handle. Make and keep friends for the right reasons. Step outside your comfort zone and try new things, but don't let anyone pressure you into things you don’t want to do. Keep in touch with old friends, and don't let your work keep you away from your family; they're an important part of your life that shouldn't be taken for granted. Find a job for future savings and school supplies. Talk to your boss if work becomes too much to handle so that together you two can come up with a solution. Participate in any events to get to know your coworkers. Be money-smart, do scholarships, use good judgment and the resources you're given, and most importantly have fun.

Elise

If I could go back four years ago and do this whole thing over again, I think I probably would. I love where I have gotten in life and coming to IUPUI has changed me for the better and I have even made life long friends. But if I could start over I would have put more thought into where I should have gone. IUPUI was a last minute decision for me I kind of rushed into it because I just needed to decide on a college. I also would have thought more into what I wanted to major in. It took me changing my major 4 times before I decided on Social Work. I would have advised myself to get way more involved, connection is key. You network by getting involved and getting your name out there. But other than I feel I have done a pretty good job these last three and half years of schooling.

Natalia

I would choose to finish school and think of the career I want to do in college.I would advice all my friends to the same too.I would of gotten more serious.

Bianca

Dear Bianca Nicole, Right now you are a sophomore in college with a 3.0 GPA. Daily I wonder what you should have done differently as a senior in high school. Knowing what you know now you definitely should have strived harder to achieve more success as an aspiring teacher. With the accident that involved losing your memory and the abuse that you endured causing your PTSD you definitely are a true survivor. I believe that you definitely could have started a campaign to end black on black crime and child abuse within the area of your neighborhood. You definitely should have listened to your single mother and stayed a girl scout. Even though you can't play sports senior year due to your brain injury from your accident you still could have watched the games and supported your classmates. You definitely did your best to achieve scholarships but there were so many more you missed out on because of your disorder. Now that you know all these things take what you know now and inspire other youth to achieve their aspirations and dreams. Write it, see it, speak it, believe it and more importantly achieve it. Sincerely, Bianca Nicole

I would tell myself that any preconcieved notion of college is pretty much correct socially. A majority of the people around you are just as open as you would hope they could be and they want to talk to you. There is no reason to fear any judgemental steel curtain that could come collapsing down, and in the rare occasion that it will, don't sweat it. In regards to academics, that other aspect of college, focus is a key. Everything is a distraction from the real reason you're here. It's going to be tough, and without focus it will be tougher. With the proper focus and motivation though, anything is possible, and you will make it through the hardest engineering courses.

Lydia

I would tell myself as a highschool senior to look beyond the present and make decisions to invest in my future. Instead of becoming wrapped up in what's expected of me to "fit in," I would ask myself how I can serve others through friendships in college, community service, and my career. God made me the person I am with a purpose; I would prayerfully seek to find how I can impact my campus to make a difference in the world. It is very important to make the most of every opportunity that is brought to you. Thus, I would encourage myself to be prepared to learn how to manage my time to maximize my experiences in college. Through managing my time I can succeed academically, build deep friendships and community, and become involved in campus life. It is so important to go into college with a mindset and attitude of striving excellence. Be prepared to work really hard, but also keep in mind and discover what's important to you. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and seek out new opportunities and experiences. Attending college is a privelage that will shape your future.

Adrianna

If I could have a conversation with my high school self, I would tell her to ardently take on college by selecting a major that she would be excited to go to school for. I made the mistake of selecting a major that I thought would simply get me a stable job in the future. I realized after two years, that my major did not suit the life that I would want to live. When I thought about going to work each day, I was filled with dread with my decision of becoming a schoolteacher. I decided to change majors, which consequently made me change universities. I wish I would have been able to tell my high school self to choose interior design as a major. I have always had an artistic sense about me, and I was scared to select this major because of what my father would think. I should have accepted my own hopes and dreams and then chosen a major that applied to my inborn talent. I should have fearlessly told myself to embrace my dream instead of casting it aside. I now vow courageously to make my own decisions, despite what others might think.

Cristina

What I would say is to encorage them to participate in all extra curicular activities but at the same time dedicate time to study. This is not highschool, the teachers are not going to be all the time telling you what to do, you are responsible for your grades and assignments. Having a professional degree is very important this days. Another important thing to remember that you should study something that you would love to do your entire life. You need to see this as something fun and that you have a pasion about. It is not always about the money, is about what make you happy. The first year is going to be a big transition in your life but it is not impossible.

LaJaysha

I would tell myself to apply for scholarships earlier and as many as I could because as I mentioned earlier college is not cheap. I would also tell myself to prepare for the long nights of studying and losing sleep. That is one of the biggest things sacraficed in order to obtain the grade you want. High school is not like college, which has both its perks and downfalls. You don't have someone constantly on your back to tell you to go to class and turn in assignments, you are in charge of yourself. This also transforms you into an adult. The last thing I would mention to myself is pay close attention to money and time management because those are also some key componets. Although college might seem intimidating at first, you only get out what you put in.

I would tell myself to continue to work hard in school and to not give up when times get hard. College is a lot different from high school. You have to manage living on your own and taking care of yourself. Your life changes as you become an independant individual going into college. In order to reach your goal and get the degree you want, you have to work hard and focus on your education. Alos, seek help when you need it. There is no shame in getting some help when you are struggling. College provides tutors and other help for whenever you need it. And last I would tell myself to always stay positive, do not get in trouble, and enjoy your time at college.

Oh, high school self, look where you are a year down the road. You will actually come to love the school everybody else thinks as a commuter college. You know, you’re so much more of a leader, just because you took a few chances. You are a freshman delegate in the business student government and even a co-coordinator for the Regatta. Did you know, you will even be a team captain for your very own Regatta team? I realize you are afraid to be bold, but take those chances. You thought you would want to go far away for your college education, but you took the chance to go to the “commuter college”. Now look where you’re at, just a year later. You are more passionate about the school you never wanted to go to in the first place. Taking chances has even made you a leader within that huge campus. You are now happier than you have ever been. So, stop being fearful in high school, get more involved and take those chances!

College is a time for growth and trying new things. Honestly, how am I supposed to allow my 17 year old self to decide what career I want to do for the rest of my life? When I first started college, I began as a biomedical engineer. Thinking that this was what I chose for myself, I sat through class, hating every moment of it. After my first year, I decided that I was in charge of my destiny, and I wanted to do something that made me happy. I left Purdue and came to the IUPUI nursing program where I fell in love with nursing. I would tell my past self that, yes, it is ok sometimes to leap into the abyss. I had no idea how things would turn out for me, and now I've recently graduated from nursing school and got my first job in an ER. We are the makers of our destiny, and only I can make myself truly happy. Go for your dreams, even if it scares you.

Katelynn

I would tell myself to take those college classes that I could have taken. I would not have to worry about them now. I should not have been taking the lazy way out of senior year and actually strived to complete as many classes as I could. I would say you do not need to worry about hanging out with your friends, because if they are your realy friends they would be okay with not hanging out all the time and understand that school is the most important. Also, do not stress out about college, people make it much more harder than it actually is. It is a breeze so all you need to do is breathe and it will all be okay.

I would tell myself to look at more colleges. You shouldn't settle on the first one that offers you a scholarship. I would do more research on the college. I would want to know if there are plenty of clubs I could join. I would ask college students at the campus what they do for fun. If the answer was "party," I would know that isn't the school for me. I would also tell myself that the main thing to focus on is academics. I probably would have advised myself not to pick a school simply because I want to play soccer

Stay focused. Try not to get too freaked out when the teachers start piling on the work and when your parents are encouraging you to apply to more colleges and for more scholarships. You will have some late nights where all you seem to do is write essays and explain why you are a fantastic leader and intelligent human being. Do not let this take control of your life. Although it is very important to get these things completed, it is also important to relax and spend time with friends and family. This is probably your last year of living at home full time, and you will want to get in as many memories as possible. So while everything seems suffocating in the moment, remember that once graduation comes around, you will be glad of the time and effort invested into your bright future.

Asa

I would tell myself that even though college can sometimes be intimidating, it's still worth it. It's worth being able to learn more about the world around you. It's worth learning about how you can contribute to a global community. It's worth learning more about yourself. It's worth being able to better yourself in a institution with other diverse and talented students. It ma not pay off now, but it will be later one way or another. .

There is one word that I would love to go back in time and tell myself in highschool and that is prepare. I feel as though my late choice to change from going to a technical school to a 4 year bachelors degree caused me to feel rushed and illprepared for college. I felt that I failed to learn which studying techniques worked best for me while in highschool. This hurt me when entering college because there is a larger amount of independent studying that needs to be done. I adjusted quickly and my grades were not affected much, but the transition to college would have been a smoother process if I was more prepared.

olivia

Listen to mom. When doing or procrastinating from doing an assignment, never say whatever -- it can form a habit in giving up which can ruin your GPA which stays with you throughout college. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification. Definitely use index cards for studying. Most importantly: utilize your resources in order to do something great.

Mariela

If I could go back in time and give my 18 year old self some advice I would tell myself not to worry so much about what my friends are doing and focus on my own goals. I was too preoccupied about trying to do the same things everyone else was doing, like trying to apply to the same schools or move to the same cities as them. I wasn't making my own decisions; I was trying to imitate the choices others were making because I was afraid of being different or people criticizing me. So I would have a conversation with recently graduated Mariela and tell her: if you want to study fashion, do it, even if people laugh at you or don’t take you seriously. Pick the school and city that best fits you not the one that all your friends or classmates are going to. Be confident in yourself, you’re strong enough to make it in this world alone and you don’t need the approval or recognition of every single person you know. Trust your instincts and know that the people that love and care for you will always encourage and support you.

kelsey

Growing up in my household I was always very grateful to be going to college. I never thought I would make my educational goals come true because of how expensive college was. When I decided to attend college the amount of research for finical aid was outstandingly large, but has paid off. Advice I would have given myself about college is every penny counts. I would have told my senior self about how to shop for affordable books, how to find affordable housing that is also safe, I would have spent time in high school doing more research on scholarships. College to me is a gateway to a better stable future. I plan to take advantage of all of IUPUI’s assets, and continue my education at Law School. The most important thing I would tell my high school self is to never listen to someone who says you can’t do something. Even against the finical odds I would notify my high school self that I am achieving my dream.

Nora

Don't fail and have to retake so many classes. You could have been out in 4 years and not needed the next summer and fall to finish. Stay school focused. Friends and family will be there for you no matter what. Boys can wait. Studies are the most important thing. Don't let things get in the way of your studies. If your friends don't understand why you have to study, then they don't need to be your friends. You will find new friends that have the same interests as you.

Zoe

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to work much harder. College was a huge wake-up call from my lazy senior year. By taking easy classes and missing a year of math, it was truly difficult and made my first semester challenging. Learning to manage time was a whole new concept to me. Considering I rarely had to do homework during my final year of high school, staying up all night and studying was exhausting. I would advise myself to stay on task, and pay attention to my teachers when they warned me to prepare myself for college.

Jagdeep

Every freshman should know that they need to purchase a parking pass before coming to campus. The parking pass will have a letter on it and it is primarily "E" for student parking. This means you can park in a lot that has signs posted stating "E" parking for students. Also, freshman should know that the campus has hours posted for each building meaning students are only allowed to enter the building for this amount of time. If you do get in a situation where you need a computer and place to study, the IT lab will be open 24/7 but every other building locks up after a certain time.

Carly

IUPUI is the way to go. It's cheaper than most schools, and it has a lot of great opportunities!

Dillon

College isn't just about intelligence, persistence is a much more important thing. Showing up is ninety percent of the battle and if you plan to be successful make sure you go to class. Also make sure you get help if you don't understand the coursework. The majority of schools offer oppurtunities to get outside tutoring that are very important in success.

There was once an idea of a former me. A boy misinformed and disillusioned. If I could go back in time and talk to this former self. I would say, "Have fun now, but remember that everything comes at a price." Upon graduating high school I thought I would be given a free ride. Like many other American's I felt entitled to get something for nothing, but unfortunately this isn't reality. A better description for life is the harder you work the luckier you get. Often times now so much is provided that we as youth are enabled to have a free ride, but really we all need face and overcome our own challenges. This is the only way to learn. So I would look at my former self and would lead my former self. The best advice is being a inspiration to others. I could reinforce the values and commitments I now have to education through my leadership. I understand now that if I want to achieve the things that I want, I need to contribute to society in awesome ways.