Indiana University-Southeast

« See more reviews of Indiana University-Southeast

I would talk to myself and suggest that I work with my school advisors and my parents to learn time managment skills and study skills. To attend college is quite different from high school since there isn't anyone to remind you of assignments, due dates, or requirements. To be able to use a calendar or reminders through the school network is a must. I would suggest writing notes for reminders of deadlines and such in more than one area so that I am reminded at different times. I also would suggest to make notes on flash cards to carry with me at all times so that I will always have something to study during down time. I would want to learn to manage my time so that I can have relaxation time as well and help not to be stressed out. A stress management routine such as meditation can also be useful to learn before stressful situations begin. Also, don't forget to set an excersise routine and have it in place so that it can become a good habit. Most important is to listen and learn from ohers with more experience. Learn from others successes and failures.

If it were probable to travel back in time, I would find myself back in 2008 and have a nice chat with him. After picking my past self's jaw up from the floor and convincing him that getting the lottery numbers from the future was not worth it, I would procced to explain to him what college life is like. I would inform him that it is much different than high school as the class sizes are smaller, people are more intellegent, and professors are more willing to help you than teachers in high school are. He would also be told that college courses are more rigorous and time intensive than high school classes. They will also require more effort from him than high school classes. Other than what was previously mention there is no real hassel in making the transition from high school to college. He would then ask if I had messed with the time line, to which I would respond " At one point, I had to save the lizard people from super zombie raptor lazer Jesus." And he would look at me with glee filled eyes as I left for my own time.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have to give myself a lot of advice about college life. In high school you always here teachers saying they are trying to prepare you for college, when really college is a whole another ball park than high school. If I created a number line and had to specify where high school and college would be on this line, thy wouldn't even be close. High school would be a one and college would be a ten. When you're assigned a research paper in high school it may only be two pages, whereas in college they're more like a ten page paper. However, they make it even more difficult by only allowing you to use scholarly resources, no more google or wikipedia. The most important advice, however isn't that there will be more difficult work, but the fact that you're on your own. Your instructors aren't going to baby you like your high school teachers did. They aren't going to remind you when assignments are due. It's up to you to manage your time.

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself that going to college isn't about how far away from home you can get. This is usually overlooked by many seniors who are looking forward to "getting away" or simply being on their own. As I was looking at a few college choices, I ended up choosing one that is less than thirty minutes away from my house. I would tell myself that this is ultimately the best school for me. I would also advise myself to get involved on campus as soon as I could, because as a sophomore now I am just starting to join organizations. This makes the college experience all the more worthwhile. It allows you to stay connected with your fellow students on campus and to have some fun during the times you aren't studying or in class. The last thing I would consider telling myself is to not sweat the small things. The transition to college life was not as hard as it was made out to be. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help with anything you may need.

Upon my high school graduation, I took the year off to work and save for college. Due to my financial situation and choice of degree, my mom encouraged me to at least check out the IU extension in New Albany. I was prejudiced against this idea, but at the summer's close, I visited IUS and subsequently fell in love with the atmosphere and community. I was very pleasantly surprised. I had no idea an extension would provide such a quality education. I have not once looked back in regret. College has been everything I hoped for. If I were to go back in time, it would only be to dispose of my previous prejudice. My prejudice had no grounding in facts. It was based in ignorance alone. If I only would've known how dreadfully wrong I was, I could have been saved a heap of stress and unsurety. Since attending IUS, I have formed lifetime attachments with friends and professors, matured mentally and physically, honed my time-managing skills, and dared to pursue my childhood dreams of becoming an artist.

As a senior, you're going to want to be lazy in class; senioritis has set in fully and you're ready to leave for college. Trust me, I get it, but you have to keep your grades up. Even though you wish you took easy classes, be thankful for the AP classes you're in, they're going to save you some money in the long run! Right now your course load feels heavy because of all of the activities you have going on at school and work, but it has nothing on what you will be taking on in college! You will be entering a whole new ball game, filled with a lot of flash cards and a lot of coffee. I know this comes as a surprise since you didn't drink much outside of a creamy sugary Starbucks drink in high school, but you are going to LOVE coffee in college. The caffeine is going to be your savior, and as scary as this sounds, you will start to feel rested if you're able to get 3 hours of sleep. It gets tough at some points but the ride is well worth it, kid.

Don't pay attention to what other people think you should do. Don't take other people's word as the end all be all. You know yourself better than anyone else and you should chase what it is you want in life. You will be the one that has to live with the choices made. Don't let money or prestige dictate what you do. There is a lot to be said about being happy in life. That is what you should chase after, your happiness. While it is okay if you don't know exactly what you want to do I don't reccommend changing your major to something else you're unsure of. If your passion doesn't completely change then try to stick with just one thing. It'll cause less debt accumulation and less time spent in school. If you vhange your mind later down the road, once you have recieved a degree, then you can go back for a breif period of time and do something that you know you want to. Good luck!

Don't wait to attend college. It only prolongs your future. The first thing you need in life is a career and college is the only way to achieve this. Get a four year degree, two year degree just gets you buy. Do your best and don't let anybody or anything get in your way of acheiving your dream. You will regret it in the future if you quit and give up. Don't prolong going to college because your not ready or you want to settle down with that special someone. Your career is your future of making that perfect relationship last. Stay focused and keep yourself motivated on school, put it first in your life. Everything else will come in time. Join clubs and get to know your fellow students. You will be relying on them soon to accomplish group projects. Have fun while you learn, it makes it more fullfilling. Most of all, don't give up. You can make it, I promise.

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to not be as nervous or scared as I was about the transition to college. The main reason I would say this is because after you get used to the college life, it is not a huge difference. I needed to get used to being out on my own and doing things such as buying books and paying for tuition on my own, but it was never anything to be nervous about. Also, because my classes are not any bigger than the classes I had in high school, it was not harder to get used to the classes that I am currently taking. I would tell myself to think of it as an extended vacation from home, because I needed to make friends all over again and get used to the new scenery. You come to realize that you need to do that with any new place you go, and that is just the way life is.

I had a really bad case of "senior-itous" in the begining of the year. I really slacked not really worried about what I did, and absolutley knew I was going to graduate, which I did. I was in the process of joining the U.S Army, I was really active, and I loved attending my martial arts classes. After looking back, I know without a doubt in my mind I could have earned a 4.0 GPA, not just the senior year but throughout high school. That reaction really pulled myself together and forged how I look at my life now and what education means know. If I could give myself advice, I would have told me to pull myself together because you need a higher GPA. I came out with a 2.8 but looking back, I could have done so much more! The college life is a new start, and I plan on making this my most successful part in my life.