Santa Fe, NM
Institute of American Indian and Alaska Native Culture and Arts Development

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Institute of American Indian and Alaska Native Culture and Arts Development

Monika

When it comes to the academic focusing and empowerment of contemporary Native arts and culture, IAIA is perfect. Being Mexican American, I was hesitant to apply because I thought it was strictly based on Native arts, but I was wrong. Staff and instructors just want to empower their students artistically, giving them as much of a push they need to succeed. I have developed and grown as an artist, and it never would have happened had I not attended IAIA.

Carrie

It is very involved in Native culture. It is a super small school where everyone knows everyone. The staff and students are usually pretty friendly. The food is all local and organic and tastes good. The classes are pretty easy and don't require a ton of work. The only bad thing is the equipment for use sucks until you get to your senior year and gain access to the good stuff. The campus can get boring too, but they try to provide activities for all students every day.

David
Observation

IAIA is an amazing place, the people here are all so creative and intelligent.

Observation

IAIA is an amazing place, the people here are all so creative and intelligent.

Raymond

Being a highly recommended Native American art school that teaches digital media and fine arts.

If I were to go back in time and tell myself about college I would have told myself to try as hard as I could, to show my art to everyone that I could. And I would have told myself to spend every waking minute to draw and paint and sculpt as much as possible so that I could further define my abilities as an artist. I would also tell myself that nothing is certain and that there is always a chance that things will be able to turn around in an instant. That I will always be myself, my own voice is important, and that I should show everyone with my art what I can and will be in the future. Because I want to be an artist, I want to show people what I can do and what my imagination inspires me to create.

The ability to form your own voice at this school is hard but is very allowable. Students are pushed to try to make sure that they can show the best that they can be, it is difficult but you can do anything you want in terms of personal expression.

aleksandra

Start early. College is expensive so finding good scholarships will save you a lot of money. Choose your career early, taking random classes is going to waste you time and money. Study hard and prepare for ACT. Apply for collage early.

Mikayla

I would walk up to my high school senior self and simply say, "college is not as difficult as teachers and councilors say." College is mostly about time management and dedication. You need to always remember that sleep is extremely important. Make sure that you have everything you need. Money management is important make sure that you send money wisely on things you absolutely need. Do not, I repeat do not wait until the last minute to do an assignment the night before it’s due, it is a major stress. Always eat healthy snacks. Eating healthy will help you think well. Never turn to smoking as a stress reliever. Stay active. Always ask for help on homework if you are not sure. Also, make sure your always updated with new scholarship. Lastly, know when to say no to invites when you know you have homework.

The best thing I've seen at this institute is the amazing students and staff. They are what make this institute strong and worth coming to. I also would consider the opportunities of meeting and being taught by the greatest teacher ever. This institute has outstanding support and I very much appreciate it.

jessica

I would tell my self to choose to go to the Institute of American Indian arts first, even though you think it is a big move. I would also tell myself that take college seriously because you are rewarded for your successes.

That some students are not mature enough for college , so somtimes it feels like highschool; especially in the dorms.

katie

IAIA is a small, private gem located in the beautiful deserts of New Mexico; the people that occupy its space are kind and open, it is a constant source of inspiration for art and other creative endeavors, and the learning that occurs here goes far beyond that of a textbook.

I believe that every year people are reborn. In a way, birthdays serve as perilous awakenings so that we can move forward and celebrate ourselves transforming. Although it's true we are constantly undergoing a sort of metamorphosis, numbers symbolizing our life span just makes the abstraction of time more concrete. As a high school senior, I cared very little about everything. I was tired of doing the same thing everyday all the time, and I thought it would be smarter to blow off what everybody was telling me not to. In fact all that has created for my life is major setbacks and harder work later on. If I could tell Katie Lasley circa 2008 what was ahead, I would surely emphasize that hard work does pay off, and yet the same is true for laziness and shortcuts. While it may seem easier at the time, the lack of effort is going to surface somehow and throw everything off kilter. I would certainly tell myself that consistently opposing what you are told to do is not rebellious at all, as being the antagonist is still succumbing to being controlled.

To those whom are curious of my life in college, I usually end up bragging most about how much community I feel in this school. Because of the small amount of students, there is a huge "help thy neighbor" mentality. I never have to worry about being hungry on campus, because somebody is always donating food in the lounge area. The people are friendly and helpful and the size also encourages tighter relationships with students and their professors. Above learning academics, this school is teaching me everyday how to be part of a wonderful community.

Tayva

I would tell myself to apply for scholarships early. It's hard to start a college education with zero amount of dollars. I would have told myself to save money, and no matter what, work hard to keep my grades up. As a senior, I was confident in my funding for my education but when the time came around, I realized that college is expensive and I should have been applying for scholarships at the start of my senior year. I would also tell my senior self to gain a sense of who I am. In college, you come across people from every corner of the world, and it's great to have a strong understanding of yourself when you meet those students. I would also tell myself, to never give up, and never let anyone tell you that you can't. Even if that person is your principal.

Institute of American Indian and Alaska Native Culture and Arts Development administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.