New Rochelle, NY
Iona College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Iona College

Melissa

The school is unique in that it is pretty small for a college and that it is located in a more urban environment.

My advice to parents and/or students in terms of finding the right college would be to throughly research a wide variety of schools, paying attention to location of the school, majors/minors and degree programs offered, different clubs and organizations offered, campus resources, quality of academics, study abroad oppertunities, and scholarship oppertunities. Visit many schools and maybe even visit schools more than once. I personally regret not having researched and visited more colleges. In order to make the most of your college experience, get involved in one's school, and take advantage of all the clubs, organizations and events offered. Also take advantage of any tutoring services offered. Also, I would suggest for students to try and be more outgoing (I am personally shy and find this hard), however by being outgoing you are able to meet more people and expand your social network within the school. I feel that having a good social network at school will also improve the college experience.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that tuition is really high, and that it isn't fixed, so tuition can increase without a student even being warned.

megan

I would say that it is important to visit campuses, and even stay overnight if possible. Schools may have great academic programs, but the environment might not be suited for the student. I think one of the most important things is feeling comfortable on your campus, because when you're comfortable you are more likely to succeed and have positive feelings about these four years of your life. Parents should also let their child do most of the work in choosing the school, afterall it is the students who will be attending the school, not the parents. With that said, however, parents should be aware of the resources that schools offer so that they can guide their kids.

The worst thing about my school is that a majority of students who come here live very close, so campus can be a little boring on the weekends.

The most frustrating thing about this school is the amount of money that it costs. Since I'm paying for my schooling the financial burden is a constant cause for stress.

Daniel

Iona is extreamly racially and culturaly diverse which allows students to experience more insight on cultures and ideas that they wouldn't usually come across. Furthermore the small size of Iona allows for a more intimate learning environment.

Choosing a college is a decision that will affect the rest of your life. It will inevitably have a great affect on your world view, your ability to carry out tasks, the skills you can carry with you through life, and you preparation to enter the job market and become a responsable, passionate and proffessional adult. Therefore, when you choose a college take your time and think about what type of learning environment will best suit you and assist you in accomplishing your goals for the future.

The worst thing about Iona is the location of the school. There is little to do in the city of New Rochelle and their is a high level of crime and poverty. Because of this students have nothing to do off campus beyond drinking. Furthermore, the rampant level of crime often puts Iona students at a risk of being mugged or having their homes robbed.

The best people come out of the woodwork; give them time, and you'll have friends for life.

A quick story: I am an only child, so when it came time for me and my mom to sit down and do the whole "college thing," neither one of us had any idea how to go about it. I applied to two schools - one that I had my heart set on, and the other a backup that I was confident I didn't need anyway. Long story short, I did not get into the school I wanted and went to community college for a year until a friend of mine convinced me to go to college with her. I knew NOTHING about the school, but applied anyway. I was accepted and received a scholarship to boot. Next thing I knew, I was in a strange school and on my own, since my friendship had fallen to pieces. I was scared, but I told myself that I would need to jump right in and learn what Iona was all about. in order to feel comfortable It worked; I've since graduated and feel I made the best decision of my life. My advice: Nothing beats good planning, but when plans fall through, do not be afraid to embrace the random.

I wish i would have known pretty much everything. I came here on a whim.

nicole

Make sure you look at the college you really want to go do. Do not just pick college because your parents want you to go there. Also find college that offer many majors, just in case you change your amjor a few time. That is normal, so do not worry about that. However, you want to make sure you have choices. The first few weeks of college will be hard to get used to. Especially if you are dorming, but in the end it is so worth it. The people you live with become your family, and it is amazing. Also make sure to get involved on campus. it keeps you busy, and your grades will stay up if you need certain grades to stay in organizations. Good Luck!

The small classes, and the professors know what they are talking about

Some of the teacher teach the textbook

Cristina

Iona offers many majors and has adequete faculty and facilities to fufill the needs of the students

When choosing a college it is important to have a general idea of the field you would like to persue in order not to lose any credits. Try to talk to others about their general experience at the college. Once you decide where you want to go, try to get involved and attend sporting events or other events in order to get to know more people. This will make you more comfortable at the school and will enhance you overall experience. Talk to others and ask questions because you can only learn more by asking questions. The more you know the high your chance of being sucessful becomes.

Erin

The advice I would give parents and students is to find a school where the student feels comfortable not only going to classes but also going to different places on campus and also living on campus if that's an option. Location is key. If dorming, the student should want to be far enough from home to grow independent, but depending on the person, being not too far from home could also be important. Also, you want a school that shows that they care about each individual student and will always be willing to help. To make the most out of the college experience, get involved in a few things that interest you. Meeting people helps in learning to understand and appreciate how everyone is different and how to interact with them. Make friends who you can trust because you can't always rely completely on yourself. Do the best you can in school but don't let it drive you crazy. It's easy to stress so relax when you need to. Don't give up. Take opportunities and make things happen because college can be similar to and will prepare you for the real world.

It's in New Rochelle where streets are confusing and driving and parking is a pain.

Mitchell

Iona College is a great school. Students that do not get home sick or angry at the town surrounding this college really enjoy. It is said that you have to create your own fun at Iona. This is true. If you attend this school you have to learn to deal with boredom. Their are many weekends that students just go home. The upper classmen usually don't go home. Furthermore almost all of the professors are still working in their field. Because of this internships are plentiful here. If you cannot get an internship here I do not think you could get one anywhere. Iona sets you up for a job after school. And some of the professors are pretty funny. Overall this school was not my first choice, if I had the chance to choose a different school at the begining I would. I have, however fallen in love with this school. Even though the administrators hate me and I'm not even a troublemaker. They just like to get everyone in trouble. Beware of staff here.

People that should attend this school are people from far away. The appeal of Iona College only appeals to out-of-towners and they are the only ones who seem to stay long enough to graduate.

If you hate guidos, dislike commuters, and hate the law then stay away. Also people who live near nyc.

Anna

Make sure you visit the schools and make sure they fit your needs. If you like big classes then go to big unoversity otherwise choose another school which is smaller. Check ratings of the school online and also see what other college students think of it. Another thing to look into is how many freshman go back to that school for their sophmore year.

a person who likes a small classes and small campus but loves to be close to the city

Iona College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.