Iowa State University Top Questions

Too many people, hard to get into a class.

There aren't enough opportunities for students in off campus housing or campus apartments. It's harder to become involved in certain activities or clubs being further away from campus.

The most frustrating aspect of Iowa State is the sheer amount of people that are everywhere. All of the people everywhere can make the campus very crowded.

I was most frusted with class registration. It's all online, doesn't say who the professor will be, and classes fill up quick or are reserved. Your adivisor will help you choose the correct level of the course, but it's up to you to do everything else which can be confusing for students who have never done it before.

Sometimes, class size gets too large, making it hard to get to know professors. This becomes difficult when looking towards academic faculty for recommendation letters.

The high amount of international professors and especially teaching assistants (TA's), often the accents are difficult to understand.

Ellie

This year I have noticed an overcrowding issue. We have recently obtained record breaking enrollment numbers, I think that is great. I love that people want to attend this university has much as I do. But I think it is time Iowa State starts becoming more selective and decreasing enrollment numbers.

Sedona

I would say that the most frustrating thing about my school is the fact that it is overlooked by a lot of students. The larger, more popular school in Iowa is the University of Iowa, and it is very clear to people that have actually visited both campuses that Iowa State University has more to offer in each and every way than the University of Iowa. It is amazing here, and it is sad that we are underrated by a lot of prospective students.

Being far away from campus

Class availablilty and scheduling is difficult and also sometime getting financial aid while being middle class is difficult.

Nakisa

One of the most frustrating things, for me personally, is the emphasis on Greek life. For those students wanting to be in a Sorority or Fraternity this school is great. Almost everybody on campus is in a Sorority or Fraternity, but for those who are not, it's a little difficult to find the right people for you to hang out with. Either you love Greek life, or want nothing to do with it, there's no middle ground. So constantly being surronded by the stereotypical sorority and fraternity students can get frustrating.

GAYATRI

there is no such thing as something that is frustating. But, i, especially get frustrated with the academic advisers as they are very rude.

Phoebe

As a non-traditional student, it has been challenging to get information outside of the standard incoming student agenda that is relevant to me and explains what resources are available to me.

The most frustrating thing about Iowa State is making sure you are ready for finals week because there are times you will have to pull an all nighter.

Zak

The hardest part of college was my first semester. It took a while for me to get used to being on my own. My second semester was a lot easier because I made a schedule for myself. In this schedule, I set up times that I would do homework, study, eat, or work out. My second semester was a lot more fun because of this.

Arthi

There is a lack of stores and shopping areas around the campus.

Nothing is very frustrating.

How unhelpful my advisor was. I was always so confused on what classes I was required to take.

The most frustrating part about Iowa State University is advising in the college of business. The advisors need to be replaced with more helpful individuals.

The most frustrating thing about my school is probably the weather. It was cold for most of both semesters this last year and there was a definite case of seasonal-affective disorder going around campus. It was miserable walking to class and there was little motivation to enjoy our beautiful campus. It really was disappointing.

Being from Southern California, the snow is the most frustrating aspect of my school. Classes are rarely if ever cacelled due to weather conditions, which is difficult for people who live off campus and have to commute to class.

Mitchell

Being in a large class can be difficult because there is little room for questions during lecture.

The most frustrating thing about Iowa State University is that as a student in the teacher education program, I was told I would be in the schools a lot my first two years of college. I have only been in a real classroom once in two years, which is frustrating to me because I do not feel like I am getting a complete undergrad experience as a elementary education major.

There is no reciprocity with other states. The out of state cost is too high

The most frustrating thing about Iowa State is the weather during the winter. It is extremely cold and uncomfterable, but bearable for those who take precautions.

Mary Kate

There aren't a lot of free or metered on campus parking spaces.

Krista

I can't really think of anything that's frustrating.

The most frustrating thing about my school is how everything is mainly centered around the internet.

Nichollete

N/A

Allie

The most frustrating thing about Iowa State is the lack of facilities available for the growing student body. Whether it's the dorms, the classrooms, or even the library, the student population is outgrowing the on-campus buildings. Iowa State has attempted to start accomodating these things by securing a few more dorms and building another engineering building, but the buildings that all students can access such as the library could use a little more attention. It is great that the student population is growing, so hopefully the campus facilities will catch up.

The most frustrating thing about Iowa State University is that it's so financially challenging for me to attend school there, but the education and opportunities are so great I wouldn't want to be enrolled anywhere else.

I really love being a student at Iowa State, it is the perfect college fit for me. However, being from another state, the cost of out-of-state tuition is very high and has become a worry for me. I am unsure if I can afford to stay there. It is frustrating not being able to afford an education.

The most frustrating thing about Iowa State is how competative people can be about their academics. My major, Biological and Pre-Medical Illustration, involved both art and science. I meet all different types of people from both the art and biology majors, both majors are highly competative. Nonetheless, when meeting competative people, it encourages and motivates me more to do better academically.

Out of state tuition can get expensive!

The most frustrating thing would be the temperatures. It is brutally hot when school starts and several of the dorms have no AC. In the winter it gets freezing cold but all of the buildings at least have heating.

The most frustrating thing is the fact that a lot of classes are held in the form of large lectures. The professors are fantastic and are very knowledgeable in what they teach, but lectures are really impersonal and getting help is more difficult than it would be in a smaller classroom setting.

The most frustrating thing about my school would definately be that the internet connection is terrible. Since most of my homework assignments and quizzes are administered online, it is crucial that the internet work at all times but it cuts out in the middle of my assignments or simply just fails to provide a sufficient connection to allow me to complete my online assignments and quizzes.

Mandee

The most frustrating thing I have expierenced at Iowa State is studying. Going from high school where minimum studying was needed to college where studing is crucial was a shock for me. I have always considered myself a student who did not have to study much to achieve good grades in high school. What frustrates me is going from that to really having to put myself in gear and have long dates with my books and notes.

Tanner

The most frustrating thing about Iowa State is the clicker points. They are trying to force us to go to these large lecture classes when their isn't any need.

Duncan

The most frustrating aspect about Iowa State University has to be the teacher availability and in-depth discussion. For instance, some teachers feel as though they do not need to be available to the students. Some teachers believe the teaching assistants can help the students- some can, but some really cannot. It is hard for students to be able to comprehend a troubling area when their teacher, who knows the subject, is not willing to become more available. Personally, I think a lot more students would be enthused about going to class if they had an actively participating teacher.

Adusting to dorm life was a frustrating event in my transition to college. All of my life I have spent my evenings in my own room, so sharing a space with someone else was a big change. I learned to appreciate all the things that I once took for granted. For example, I was no longer able to turn the lights on when I woke up because my roommate was sleeping. Living with a roommate has taught me how to compromise and learn to live with someone who is very different from myself.

Lydia

A frustrating part of my school is that not every one who is at Iowa State University is here to learn. Many people are here to party, have fun, and get drunk. Sometimes, especially in the dorms, this gets in the way of my own studying. But luckily it is very easy to get away from most distractions as there are plenty of other places to study besides the dorms.

Edward

The most frustrating thing about Iowa State (aside from the ridiculous cost of an education nowadays) is the quality of teaching in some of the classes. Most of the professors are very focused on research (depending on the field of study) and outsource a lot of work to TAs. TAs are a crapshoot when it comes to quality.

As a transfer student I feel it has been hard to make friends at this campus, and also the professors are so enthusiastic but at the same time not well organized/not very helpful.

The most frustrating thing about my school is having large lectures and not being able to see the boards. The teachers try and accommodate for the amount of students but it isn't always easy. I would personally like to see the teachers use microphones so that all the students can hear. I would also like to see the teachers utilize the space they have in the front of the classroom for more visuals that can be used throughout the lecture.

To me, Iowa State has nothing frustrating about it.

That Seasons Marketplace is not open 24/7.

One of the most frustrating things about Iowa State University is that there are alot of things to do. There is over 800+ clubs to join, and many other activities to try out. I would like to try them all, but the overwelming number of organization looking for members makes me only choose a the few that would help me in the future. If there a chance to try new things without joining a club, then that would be great.

The one thing that I find the most frustrating is the residence hall I was assigned to. While a dorm without air conditioning costs less and doesn't seem like a big deal, on hundred-degree days and eighty-degree nights, I have wished that I hadn't been afraid of the extra $300 a year and had requested an air conditioned building.

Our campus is large and spread out causing a lot of confusion, getting lost, and long walks to and from class especially for some dorms. However, this is countered by the fact the campus has many open green spaces which make it beautiful.