Iowa State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Iowa State University

Madison

I love this college so much, it feels like my home away from home. The people are extraordinarily friendly and have a positive attitude about learning. There's a ton to get involved in and academically I've never been anywhere better for my major. I highly recommend this school to anyone looking to go into a science or engineering field as the teachers are exceptional and super helpful. You learn a lot and this school will help you succeed.

Caroline

Iowa State University has a wide variety of majors, minors, and extracurricular activities to explore. There are many food options on campus with plenty others within walking distance. However, the class size at Iowa State does not actually decrease that much by the time you graduate. You can expect that most of your classes with have 60 people or more throughout your four years. Moreover, the town of Ames is adorable and filled with small businesses to explore. Even though Ames is pretty open minded, most Iowa State students are not. Most students come from small Iowa towns and bring with them small town attitudes. Most are not welcome to the LGBTQ+ community nor people of color. While the university itself preaches about the importance of diversity, many students do not share this ideology. Iowa State University offers a cheap education, but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

Chioma

I've only been here for around 2 months but I can already tell you that I love this place. I wasn't so sure when I came on a campus visit, but now I know that this will be my home for the next 4 years. The teachers are extremely knowledgeable and accepting, and will help you whenever you need it. And the campus just has a great vibe!

yamilet

It is a good school to experience new things and meet alot of great people

Caitriana

Iowa State is home to almost 40,000 students and many others outside of campus. Being on campus is like a whole new world. I grew up in Ames and decided to stay because not only have many of my family members gone to Iowa State and received their degrees, but I loved the atmosphere in which it provided for me. I am a current sophomore studying Exercise Science. After Iowa State I plan to continue my education to become a certified Prosthetist and Orthotist fitter to work with veterans who have returned home from active duty with a need for artificial limbs. I have met so many amazing people here who have been so influential to me as a student. Throughout my journey at ISU, I have had so many amazing opportunities that make me feel prepared for the future. I have acquired an excellent education as well as personal skills that will allow me to communicate effectively in the workplace. Currently I am involved in a research study called P.A.A.S, which is Physical Activity and Aging Study. In this study we have participants that are sixty five years and older come in for cognitive testing and simple physical activity tests to see how aging effects the body and brain. I feel so lucky to be apart of this research team as these experiences will be helpful for me in the future. The range of classes offered at Iowa State is abundant. There are many classes offered as half semester classes which allow you to take classes that are not apart of your major directly, but can be taken as an elective or just for fun! Taking these classes has been an excellent source for me to broaden my knowledge and learn more about little subjects like geology or meteorology which are a few of my interests outside of Exercise Science. Professors, faculty, and staff want all students to succeed. I know that I have been able to go to my professors during their office hours which is a good time to ask them questions about my exams or homework problems. A lot of professors on campus are conducting research in the labs here which makes it easy to get involved with them and their research if you apply yourself to their classes and do well and make a good impression on them. Iowa State as a whole has opened my eyes in terms of community involvement. There are many different clubs and organizations to get involved with that goes towards more than helping the university, but helping the community of Ames as a whole. For example, there is a club called Be the Match. Within this club it allows members to sign up to donate bone marrow which then will be used to treat children that have bone marrow diseases such as blood cancer. By donating bone marrow, it's giving a second chance to a child in need and saving a family from heartbreak. Aside from medical breakthroughs that students can be involved with, there are many other clubs that are just for fun! The resources on campus are also a great addition to this incredible university. For example on campus, we have access to a Student Health Center, Student Counseling, as well as a Student Success Center along with many others. The Student Health Center is good for when you don't want to go to the hospital for a simply cold or flu. They make it simple and easy to make appointments and fill prescriptions. Student counseling is offered for students who still don't feel at home here despite the many opportunities offered, but also for those who have a hard time managing their mental health. Mental health is one of the major problems plaguing college students all over. We feel that we have to study all the time in order to be successful without taking the time to relax and have fun. Student counseling offers students free therapy sessions for those hard and struggling times. Lastly, the Student Success Center is where many students utilize their academic coaching programs, writing and media center, and if they have learning disabilities, they can get help there too. Academic coaching helps students breakdown their weekly work load and study habits into manageable time frames that helps you stay on top of things without having to cram the night before. The Writing and Media Center is were many people go to get their papers and resumes peer reviewed which helps the student make any changes before submitting the paper or giving the resume to a future employer. Learning disabilities are accommodated at the Student Success Center so that way if, for example, students have a hard time with online tests, they are able to get special accommodations for paper tests. These are just a few of the amazing qualities Iowa State University has to offer. There are many more but the list goes on and on. I love being a student at Iowa State and I am grateful for all of the opportunities I have been given.

Hayley

Surely I can say something about Iowa State University. 36,001 students are enrolled at ISU and I am not that cool but I made some friends so there's hope for everyone (I'm being serious, if you met me in real life u would be SHOCKED). Also, if you are a basic girl like me, you LOVE fall, so the campus is so freakin BEAUTIFUL in the fall. But aside from those so called "unimportant" attributes to ISU, I have found ISU to be a great place to study. The professors are more than helpful, advisors know what they are doing, the classes are challenging but not too difficult, and the overall campus climate is pretty welcoming. You should definitely consider "choosing your adventure at Iowa State" (copyright all rights reserved)

Daniel

My overall opinion is that there are a numerous of events and clubs on campus to participate in and is great! A lot of green, friendly people here. Faculty is super nice as well, and can help with about anything as long as you ask. The state tends to feel a lot slower but classes go by fast. There are options for those that have certain dietetic standards which is amazing, and just networking is a key thing. Not many places off campus though, and they seem to close of early as well.

Oni

Even though Ames, Iowa is in the middle of nowhere, Iowa State makes up for the location. Once a month we have events with visiting celebrities, free food, and small activities like bingo or karaoke- all for free! It's also a fairly safe campus; it's not rare to see someone taking a jog at 1 AM. Academics are quite demanding, but professors truly care about you as a student and will help as much as they can for you to succeed if you ask. And greek life is HUGE so ISU is definitely the place to go if you decide to go greek.

Arthi

I grew to love Iowa State University. The faculty is diverse and experienced, the campus is beautiful, and the people are always friendly. The campus is right next to town so there's plenty of nightlife and exciting activities to do in your free time.

Crystal

I am thoroughly pleased with my selection of attendance to Iowa State University. As a first-time out-of-state transfer student, I felt warmly welcomed by staff and students giving me a comfortable and easy transition into the new place I would soon call home. Although it appears large at first, ISU’s beautiful campus becomes quickly familiarized to new students and is easy to navigate. There is also a bus system that travels around campus and all of Ames which is free with a student ID. Ames, IA is a perfect balance of a small town feel with big city features- bars, tap houses, downtown shopping centers, malls, and much more. There are many trails and nearby state parks along with Reiman Gardens allowing for endless opportunities for exploration. On and off-campus housing is most often located near the university, making it convenient for students to travel back and forth between classes. Besides the beautiful campus and nice folks in the area, my favorite part about being a student here at ISU is the State Gym. The gym on campus is also free with your student ID and covers two stories of two buildings connected by a skywalk. It is filled with copious amounts of exercise equipment, machines, sports equipment, gymnasiums, and lockers. A rock climbing wall, hot tub, and indoor pool are also included in the setting. Being an ISU student no only guarantees access into State Gym, but also grants access to the many fitness classes offered throughout the day. Yoga, Pilates, Kickboxing, and Zumba are just a few examples of the numerous options available. Like many other colleges, Iowa State also offers the option of working in between classes. For anyone who has ever had an odd schedule of classes, like myself, this is extremely beneficial. The pay rate is fair, and if you work in one of the dining centers, you are provided with a free meal. I currently work in one of the dining centers and suggest it to every one of my peers. ISU does a wonderful job maintaining flexible hours to meet everyone’s needs. Attending Iowa State has been one of my best choices I’ve made to date. I hope my account of the university helps others in their journey in choosing the right college for them. ISU is a wonderful school system, but don’t simply take my word for it. Explore the website at www.iastate.edu and see the many other amenities they have to offer.

Alicia

Overall, Iowa State University is an outstanding school. It has a friendly atmosphere, a beautiful campus, and there is always something going on, especially near the Hub and Parks Library. The professors are excellent at what they do and are almost always available to help students when they need it.

Lukasz

Great place that I love and wouldn't want to go anywhere else. This school has been great to me and I love my time that I've spent here. Very nice people who truly care about your well being and maturation.

Catrina

Iowa State is a really great place to learn. Most classes aren't too big and for ones that are, the TAs are super helpful. There are plenty of ways to get academic help if needed: TAs, professors, tutors, SI, study groups, etc. There are also so many places to study depending on your needs: library, classrooms, private study rooms, and cafes. An amazing place to study, live, and grow.

Gage

Its awfull, it kindas stink and its not that fun.

Maya

Iowa State is a great school academically for the price, especially in-state tuition. I really enjoy the classes I am taking as well as the people I have met. Also the community atmosphere is apparent on campus where there is a lot of school spirit. Go Cyclones!

Sofia Camille

I think that Iowa State University is wildly underrated. Before searching for colleges, I had never even hear of Iowa State University, and stumbled upon it purely based on geographical location. I wanted to leave my home state of Kansas, and found that Iowa State University, being about four hours away, was the perfect distance. I had originally planned on staying in Kansas, and attending University of Kansas or Kansas State University, but did not love either of the schools. When I received a letter in the mail stating I had earned a scholarship to go to ISU, my mom had our family go on a road trip to check out the campus. When I was there, I fell in love. The home-y atmosphere of the brick buildings and carefully laid out landscapes, with beautiful trees dotting the entire campus and town, how could I not fall in love? I went during spring break, so there were very few students on campus, but I liked how the students that had stayed there seemed to always be on a mission, and I wanted to be a part of that. During my freshman orientation, one of the advisors gave some fantastic advice. He said to imagine yourself having your worst possible day, and from there decide which college you would want to spend that horrible day at. Now that I go to Iowa State, I remember that, and when I am having a rough time, I'll take a look at my surroundings, the beautiful fall trees, or the little stretch of sidewalk on Welch that had become one of my favorite spots since the moment I saw it, and I remember that even though I am having a bad day, at least I am spending my time at a university that I have grown to love. Along with loving the atmosphere of the campus, I have come to love the people there as well. I live in the Wallace-Wilson towers, which, understandably get a very bad reputation. They are very far from the other dorms, and are very old. However, the community within the Towers are so wonderful. I have found some of my very best friends at these dorms, and am so thankful for the opportunity to be able to live with them. Outside of school, I am also really involved at my church, St. Thomas Aquinas. The community there is just as wonderful, if not more so than the community at my dorm. In the student lounge, there are always friends hanging out and talking or doing homework, and I have been able to meet some very interesting humans and hold great conversations there ranging from our faith to our own wild experiences. People at Iowa State University are so kind and great friend material, usually being charismatic and fun, while also being trustworthy and determined. Choosing to go to Iowa State University has hands down been one of my best decisions yet, and I can't wait to see what else it has in store for me throughout the rest of my college experience.

Erin

Iowa State University is a beautiful college that offers many academic and extracurricular opportunities. Overall even though there are some issues such as large class sizes and a lack of student housing, I have loved my time there. Every professor I have had has made sure to engage me intellectually and has answered every question I have asked. Also there are plenty of resources on campus for any situation you may face, no matter how big or small.

Amelia

My overall opinion of Iowa State University is that even though it's never where I saw myself, now that I'm here I'm very happy I'm here. There's a diverse culture and it's a perfect size for me. It's not too big, but not too small. Everywhere on campus is within a 10 minute walk and the people are very personable and friendly. Professors are willing to work with students to help them succeed and we all help each other in any way we can.

Clara

I remember being really nervous about going off to college. Iowa State smashed those fears into the ground. The moment I moved in, I was greeted by kind people, and I've always felt like I was important. It might be a big school, but it honestly feels small. My classes are usually around 50 people, which, for a freshman, is a pretty decent class size. The professors are great as well; if you have a problem, all you have to do is tell them and they will try to work with you. The food is decent, some nights are better than others. But, most of all, I have made some great friends here, and it was way easier than I thought it would be. People here are generally very nice, and all you have to do is approach them to start a conversation. I couldn't be happier with my choice to go to Iowa State!

Its a nice school. The bus system works in terms of getting people where or close to where they need to go. Overall class size and options are decent with a few new classes offered in each subject area. Its a nice, somewhat small university that loves construction.

Olivia

Iowa State University is a great school with a fun atmosphere. It is easy to get lost in the Big 12, but as long as you find a niche with a good group of friends that share your interests, it will start to feel like home. I could not imagine going to any other school.

Lindsey

I love Iowa State. There are tons of research opportunities and you can really figure out what you like. There is always something to do, I do not understand if people complain that they are bored. I have made a lot of friends here through many activities. The campus is beautiful.

Christopher

Iowa State is a very involved school. I transferred here from another school and I would say it's about 10 times better than what I experienced before. The students are much more involved than I expected. It's a lot to take in, but you just have to take it step by step and you'll be a busy bee just like the rest of your fellow cyclones.

Madison

I love it! I was immediately impressed by the buildings on my first visit of Iowa State, which is why I chose it. Once I started classes, it was clear what my favorites are, though the majority of the professors are very enthused in their field, making it easy to jump on the bandwagon and hit the books until the library closes (2AM- if only Starbucks were open that late...)

Iowa State University has a beautiful campus and friendly staff and students who help those new to the area without a moment's thought. When lost on campus, you can always ask someone to help, and there will be an answer waiting. There's not a lot of fear for your safety, especially if you think about behaving responsibly. There's occasional thefts, but the campus police are there to help you in any emergency. Overall, Iowa State is a great place to be.

Louis

There is literally not a single day I don't regret choosing this awful school. I am currently trying to find a better school to transfer to as soon as possible. It started day 1. Move in day. "Move in crew will meet you when you park and carry everything inside in 1 trip" so they give us a 20 minute parking pass. Move in crew was no where to be found. 4 hours later I finish moving in myself and have accrued over a hundred dollars of parking tickets. Never did a single person help move me in. The next day my advisor gives me a call and says I no longer meet the requirements and I am being dropped from the college of engineering because my class rank went down 1 rank. (Came from a class of 30, and most went into engineering and a few into astrophysics and biochemistry, so yeah my whole class was smart) and I had to go to a different academic advisor. She helped me get through to the engineering college to let me in. My parking pass is the only one I "qualified" for, which happened to be miles from campus. I was told in my housing contract that my room would be air conditioned. Nope. It gets so hot and humid that I left an Alka selzer on my counter and when I woke up in the morning it had mostly activated from the heat and humidity. I can hardly focus it's so hot and most of the things they advertise are not worth crap, and the sports is way overrated. In my opinion going to games is the biggest waste of time and money at Iowa state, besides going to Iowa state university and paying for it. If I had to do it again, no. I would say screw Iowa state university. I wouldn't have even wasted the money to apply.

Caleb

Iowa State has a great campus that is mostly all grouped in one place with a few outliers like the veterinary college. One downside is that Ames is on the smaller side so there isn't a whole lot to do around town, but there are a lot of student activities to get involved in and other events that take place on campus.

Kelsey

I love ISU. The campus is so beautiful, the people are nice, and I've met some of the most amazing people here, and it's my first year! What's not to love about ISU, did I mention the atmosphere in sports is simply amazing? Along with all of that, the professors are all easy-going, and love to interact. They answer any questions we have and are so smart it's incredible. The resources available are unbelievable, and I wouldn't trade this school for anything.

Mikayla

Iowa State has given me a place to feel like home. I am with the people I have always been meant to be with. The students are some of the most dedicated people you will ever meet, when it comes to their academics and their love for the university. One of the reasons Iowa State is so amazing is the culture surrounding it. Every student that attends Iowa State has pride in being there, they gloat about the university, and I do too! The opportunities provided by the school are incredible and the atmosphere is indescribable.

Cristofer

I have attended Iowa State University for over a semester now and have enjoyed my time being in Ames. Iowa State has one of the most beautiful campuses in Iowa. I can honestly say that I admire the effort put into making Iowa State's campus what it is. In addition, Iowa State has a very safe campus. I can usually leave my dorm knowing I won't be attacked or harassed. I find myself enjoying most of my classes. The professors try to be straightforward with their lectures. They offer office hours for students to meet with them, but will usually go out of their way to help them. Ames has a lot to offer for ISU students. There is a variety of stores to go to, with many of them being close to campus. As for getting involved, the are many different clubs and organizations to join. They'll help you meet new people and help you get adjusted to life at a university. Iowa State offers Intramural sports clubs, clubs for majors, social clubs and greek chapters. It will be hard to find something that won't interest you. Iowa State has a very nice community and is big on tradition. Once you make it to Iowa State, you'll know what it means to be part of the cyclone family.

Chianne

Iowa State University is a great college to attend is a big beautiful place to go to school at. The campus is filled with students all over talking about classes their families class experiences. The campus is beautiful covered in bright pretty flowers, trees, buildings, and people. I love the classroom environments and outside of class conversations which are positive happy conversations and vibes.

Mackenzie

It is a rather large school for me, but it is a beautiful campus and has a lot of different opportunities for students with different interests. There is always something to do and the professors are always willing to help out their students with with work that can extend beyond just academics.

Maria

Iowa State is great! The campus is really pretty. It's a big school, but there are a lot of smaller classes available. There are so many ways to get involved. It's big, but there are so many ways to make it feel like home. Overall, I love Iowa State and the atmosphere.

Quinlan

I love Iowa State and I have always felt at home on campus. The people I’ve met are super nice, and I really appreciate how diverse the campus is as well. I love meeting all different kinds of people with all different sorts of interests, talents, and passions.

Sydney

I've lived in Iowa my whole life so my options for university were going to be UNI, U of I, and ISU. I decided on ISU because I am in a stem major and I felt much more at home on campus than I had at the other public universities in Iowa. I am very grateful that I decided on ISU because I've joined a sorority, made many friends, and have exceeded my goals academically. They say that college is the best time of your life, and if that is true I'll have plenty of great memories to look back on!

Barrett

Iowa State offers a financially brilliant option, but personally I feel no strong connections here. It could be my fault, and maybe I'm taking the proper steps to engage with other students, but I find little diversity here. The people do not spark my interest overall, and people are very oriented toward social standards and norms.

Timothy

I believe that Iowa State provides a phenomenal learning and living environment. There is a place for all kinds of people with the diverse demographic of students and with time you will find friends that will stick for life. Iowa state provides each student with the tools they need to succeed and does a good job of allowing students to find their way on their own. Overall if you put in the effort and follow the advice of your advisors and counsellors you will lead a successful collegiate and professional lifestyle.

Grace

Iowa State University is a pleasant university with a strong focus on producing well-rounded graduates. They make sure students can find help not only concerning academics but also extracurricular activities. Even though there is lots of room for improvement, Iowa State works hard to provide a safe, diverse, inclusive, and welcoming community.

Gabriella

After leaving home a being a whole two semesters in Iowa State University I feel like I really am in my dream college. The experience here has been overall great. You truly see a community at Iowa State that is willing to always be there for you whenever you need help.

Iowa State is a very diverse school. There is plenty to go on and off campus. There is a club for virtually everything, especially clubs specifically for your major. There are sororities and etc if you wish to participate in such. The campus overall is huge but very beautiful. If you aren't capable of parking on campus there's a commuter lot as well as buses that take you all over campus from that lot. The professors are wonderful and full of life.

Iowa State is a wonderful university with opportunities available to everyone! The campus is absolutely beautiful, and the people working, visiting, and attending campus are just as friendly as can be! It is a beautifully diverse campus, with extracurricular activities to fit anyone's interests. Campus involvement is a big deal, with shows, homecoming activities, and football games making all of cyclone nation smile. The academics at this campus are impressive, with professors that are passionate and hands-on learning around every corner. The social life is wonderful, whether you decide to do greek life or not! Greek life is a part of campus, but if you arent into that, then that's just fine! All students mingle together, and I like to think that greek life doesn't exclude anyone! Overall, this university is absolutely wonderful, and I would recommend it to anyone!

Scott

Iowa State University of Science and Technology is the perfect University for everyone. Right when you get here the University already feels like a small place, you feel at home immediately. Even with 30,000 students it gives the small University feel.

Maria Raquel

I love my school. That's the honest truth. Iowa State University has achieved a perfect combination of great education, beautiful campus, and amazing people as faculty and staff. It is a campus where I feel safe, where I feel like I belong, and that makes me happy every day to have choose it as my school.

Ryan

Iowa State university has a beautiful campus with many wonderful people attending. The professors and professors assistants do a wonderful job and always make their students a top priority. The dorms and nice and up to date with a great maintenance crew available almost anytime. The food is also great with great service!

Ryan

The easiest and most succinct way to explain Iowa State University has to come from its memorable slogan: "Choose your Adventure at Iowa State". While the possibility to limit yourself and not branch out exists, it is something you will truly regret doing in years to come. Iowa State University has the largest, most diverse selection of activities and adventures to embark on. The beauty of a big school comes from the ability to find people with common interests, as well as meet all sorts of different people to help broaden your perspective. I would recommend a fellow colleague to pursue an Iowa State University degree if they were looking for a true college experience.

Matthew

I believe Iowa State is a great school for the all around college student. If you want a pretty good education, but still want to be able to have something to do on the weekend ISU is for you. It's a really big college though so don't be surprised if you're viewed as just a number. It may be big, but the campus has this way of making it feel small somehow.

cassidy

Iowa State University is a pretty good college. My biggest problem with it would be the large class sizes. I have only had two teachers who I dislike so far and I think that is pretty good. It is a good school overall and I am glad that I chose to attend it.

Araceli

Iowa State University is a great and welcoming home. With faculty and staff always ready to help. Our professors and students are always working together on research and many projects. With a beautiful and open campus, you will always find students and staff out and about.

Beth

I love the campus the most, it has got to be the most beautiful campus in the nation. The people at Iowa State are also great. The culture is not solely centered around one activity (i.e. drinking, athletics, the arts), there are so many different opportunities and ways that people can get involved.

Quantez

I enjoy my time here, although sometimes, i feel a bit underprepared. i very much enjoy my time here. It is always a club or sport to be involved in, so there is always something to do or be involved in. Beautiful campus, and weathers nice until winter, where you may wear a big coat, or bring your umbrella, because of mother nature's indecisive decisions. Good athletics! Big 10! GOOOOO STATTEEEE!